Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#100706 - 07/25/07 01:44 AM Re: Selecting long-term bol: Avoid Flood Plains [Re: Hike4Fun]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Avoiding flood plains is easier said than done sometimes. Some places have seen two or more "once a century" floods in ten or twelve years. So what on paper seems like it should be "high ground" could be part of the river. Particularly if the river has undermined an area.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100713 - 07/25/07 02:35 AM Re: Selecting long-term bol: Avoid Flood Plains [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you have a street name/town, check the flood risk by going to the NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) site at http://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/static/landing1.jsp?WT.mc_id=FEMA_Google1&WT.srch=1

Type in the address and it will give you a general assessment. Very general, but it does give you a risk level.

Sue

#100714 - 07/25/07 02:38 AM Re: Selecting long-term bol: Avoid Flood Plains [Re: Susan]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
http://hazards.fema.gov/ also gives some useful data on flood areas, as well as multiple other hazards that may be of interest (including critical infrastructure locations, etc.).

#100715 - 07/25/07 03:50 AM Re: Selecting long-term bol: Avoid Flood Plains [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

I find a topo map and town records works better. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100745 - 07/25/07 03:54 PM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: cedfire]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Thanks for the links! Will check them out...

#100750 - 07/25/07 04:39 PM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: cedfire]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: cedfire
I'm in the process of picking potential locations for a long-term bug out scenario. Luckily I have plenty of BLM and USFS land to pick from and I'm already in a rural area compared to folks in big cities. First choice would be to shelter in place unless evacuation seemed like a better choice.

Doing a little brainstorming, here's what I've come up with:

This reminds me it sure would be nice to have a "cabin in the woods" relatively close by. smile

Isolation carries its own risks. Don't discount the value of people giving one another mutual aid.

Good luck!

Frank2135

#100820 - 07/26/07 04:39 AM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: cedfire]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Good point; if anything, this is a fun mental exercise and gives me an excuse to go play in the woods. smile

Thinking more about it, I might stick to identifying good evacuation routes first, and throw a few potential bug out locations in for good measure.

#100841 - 07/26/07 01:44 PM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: cedfire]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Without a location, a long term bug out means you've become a refugee. Sorry, a "displaced person"- I don't think the first world is allowed to have refugees.

#101094 - 07/29/07 10:37 PM Long-term bug out locations; a different PoV [Re: cedfire]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
All of my Bug Out locations (possibilities) are long term. My plans allow for ranges/distances to be covered as in a stepping-stone fashion. The only short term location is my home, for Bugging In.

Home
1) Has all of my current supplies (will be changing that fact soon). 2) Is dependent on utilities being supplied within a couple of weeks. 3) Has limited defensive possibilities. 4) Has extremely limited food production possibilities. 5) Within an urban area easily controlled by Local, State, and/or Federal governments. 6) A shelter is available with some effort to convert.

Location Alpha (located 35 miles west of Home)
1) All remaining supplies have to be transported to this location (at the present time). 2) Has a source of water (which will have to be treated before using); Has an area that sewage can be dumped, There is access to some fuel to run the generator. 3) Has good defensive possibilities with some effort (earth moving machinery and relatives are on site). 4) Has 4.5 acres of plantable land for food production. 5) Within an uncorporated village, largely out of sight. 6) Limited shelter on site, additional shelter will have to be built.

Location Bravo (locaterd 350 miles North of Location Alpha)
1) All remaining supplies have to be transported to this location. 2) Has a good clean source of water; Has an area that sewage can be dumped, There is access to some fuel to run the generator. 3) Has very good defensive possibilities with little effort. 4) Has many acres of plantable land in multiple locations within a reasonable distance, for food production (earth moving machinery and relatives are within 5 mile radius). Wild game and fish are plentiful and closeby. 5) Within a mountainous area, out of sight and out of most minds (County population of 6,000 persons). 6) Abandoned mine that can be occupied and made comfortable, provides deep shelter.

Location Charlie (located 200 miles North of Location Bravo)
1) All remaining supplies have to be transported to this location. 2) Has a good clean source of water; Has an area that sewage can be dumped, There is access to some fuel to run the generator. 3) Has good defensive possibilities with some effort (earth moving machinery and extremely close friends within 200 yards radius). 4) Has many acres of plantable land in multiple locations within a reasonable distance, for food production (cultivating machinery is nearby). Wild game and fish are plentiful and closeby. Goats, cattle, and chickens are on site or nearby. 5) Within a hilly area, out of sight and out of most minds. 6) Housing is on site and there is an abandoned house nearby that could be made habitable. A shelter is available with some effort to convert.

Covering the distances involved poses the single largest problem since little or no warning of an impending Nuke or EMP event can be expected. Pre-1972 transportation capabilities will have to be procured.

At this time, I am observing the following conditions:
DefCon 2(CBR) / ThreatCon 2(Terrorist) / HurrCon 5(seasonal)

My preps are up-to-date although I still keep finding little things to do and/or get, to improve things. I am sleeping good at night because I am as prepared as I can possibly be and am confident that I can provide for my family in any event. That's why I prepare for the worst, which is less likely to occur.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 415 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.