Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#100568 - 07/23/07 10:18 PM Re: No fat in rabbits? [Re: NightHiker]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I attended Arctic survival school in 1973. The rabbit population had bottomed out, which Biologists have noted may be cyclic. The USAF in it's wisdom had conducted classes in the same area for several years. Even to my untrained eye it had the look of a Civil War battle puzzle with all the horses mising. We stomped around building snares and shooting the Ithaca survival rifle.I never once saw a rabbit. My issue Camillus survival knife snapped batoning firewood. The instructors were impressed with the speed and craft with which I built my survival trench.The group retired hungry. I crawled into the privacy of my sleeping bag and blocked entry with rucksack. I pulled the Camillus utility folder, as yet unbroken ( I would destroy it years later decorking wine) and cut the internal panel thread on my parka.I extracted ; Hershey bars, cheese,pilot bread and smoked salmon. I resolved that night to find a better knife, worthy survival rifle ( my present Smelly with 215 grain rhino bullets) and, raising my fist, announced " As God is my witness ( chomp! chomp!), I'll never go hungry again!" My voice carried better than I thought. My CPO, a thin Georgia Cracker whispered " Hey Scarlet O'Hara, trade you some cornbread and porkfat, I know you have something.

#100577 - 07/23/07 11:10 PM Re: Rabbit Starvation and Short-Term Survival [Re: Frank2135]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Not being much of a candy eater, when you mention Dove bars I think of a bar of soap...

#100578 - 07/23/07 11:22 PM Re: Rabbit Starvation and Short-Term Survival [Re: OldBaldGuy]
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I had a couple of "Dove Bars" shoved in my mouth as a kid after I got a little "sailor mouth" with my mom!!

#100579 - 07/23/07 11:25 PM Re: Rabbit Starvation and Short-Term Survival [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Dove chocolate is some of the best domestic chocolate you can buy. It's very smooth & creamy.

#100580 - 07/23/07 11:40 PM Re: No fat in rabbits? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...issue Camillus survival knife snapped..."

No surprise there.

For a while in the '70's the Air Farce had a survival school at Altus AFB, OK. Lots of lectures, hands on stuff, then the E&E part. First you were "captured" by the "VC," pushed around, tossed into a pit full of snakes (they hated it if you just picked up a couple and played with them, instead of going nutso), made to sit cross legged with a pole sticking up between your legs for a while (pain starts within seconds), stuck in a wall locker burned in the ground (it gets hot in those things in OK in the summer), etc. Then, after a couple of days of that fun, comes the E&E part. They let everyone go with a little head start, and had local Native Americans, playing VC come after you. Avoid capture for 24 hours and you are done. Get caught and you get another day in "prison." "This is the real thing gentlmen" the instructors said, then they continued with "do not go beyond that ridgeline, do not go beyond that fence," etc. Yeah, right Sarge. It was discovered that beyond that fence a ways was a little Army installation, tents, generator, refers with food, cots, etc, and NO ONE was home. Nice place to kill 24 hours, then back over the fence and home free. Such fun...

#100587 - 07/24/07 01:42 AM Re: No fat in rabbits? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
What, they didn't make you eat the Armadillo???!!!

As for eating rabbit, you can be packing 100 lbs of extra fat and still get protein sickness after a short period of eating nothing but lean meat. For the record, I don't recommend messing with wild rabbit internals.

Candy is dandy, but some whole grains will do you better and be a lot easier on your system. The body can only store about two days worth of carbs in the form of glycogen, vs and endless supply of fat (well, until morbidity catches up to ya). Of course, the body converts some carbs into fat, but it isn't very efficient at it.

Pemmican I tells ya. It is the best survival food you can find, and it is highly versatile. A little goes a long ways, especially if you have a good protein source. It's been THE survival food for the past few hundred years at least.

#100588 - 07/24/07 01:50 AM Re: No fat in rabbits? [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...they didn't make you eat the Armadillo???..."

Nope. But they did once make us eat the raw boa constrictor...

#100595 - 07/24/07 02:23 AM Re: Rabbit Starvation and Short-Term Survival [Re: iain]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
For short term, your fine. You've got enough fat on you, even that is only part of the problem.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100635 - 07/24/07 02:28 PM Re: No fat in rabbits? [Re: benjammin]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Pemmican I tells ya. It is the best survival food you can find, and it is highly versatile. A little goes a long ways, especially if you have a good protein source. It's been THE survival food for the past few hundred years at least."

The Native Americans probably created pemmican so they wouldn't die of rabbit starvation.

Fat rabbits don't exist in the wild. But has anyone ever butchered a fat domestic rabbit? Is there any difference there? Or is it a matter of rabbit meat is rabbit meat?

Sue

#100636 - 07/24/07 02:34 PM Re: No fat in rabbits? [Re: benjammin]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
"Candy is dandy, but some whole grains will do you better and be a lot easier on your system. The body can only store about two days worth of carbs in the form of glycogen, vs and endless supply of fat (well, until morbidity catches up to ya). Of course, the body converts some carbs into fat, but it isn't very efficient at it."

OK, OK. I'll switch from Dove bars to Snickers.
wink

Frank2135

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.