The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100468 - 07/22/07 10:22 PM Selecting long-term bug out locations
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
I'm in the process of picking potential locations for a long-term bug out scenario. Luckily I have plenty of BLM and USFS land to pick from and I'm already in a rural area compared to folks in big cities. First choice would be to shelter in place unless evacuation seemed like a better choice.

Doing a little brainstorming, here's what I've come up with:

* Various locations near and far. The spots close to home within walking/biking distance. The spots farther away reachable by vehicle.

* Avoiding busy & known (such as campground) areas if at all possible.

* Water source nearby (river, creek, springs, etc.).

* Protection from the weather and prying eyes (no open slopes, etc.).

* Bug out locations to the North / East / South / West to assist if roads or bridges are blocked.

Any other suggestions welcome! I'm hoping someone else has gone through the same brainstorming session and can give me a few ideas.

This reminds me it sure would be nice to have a "cabin in the woods" relatively close by. smile

#100470 - 07/22/07 10:28 PM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: cedfire]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A slight south-facing slope would be good in cold weather.

Check out the amount of poison oak, etc.

Accessibility. If you can't get there by motorized vehicle, you may have to use a wagon or something.

Sue

#100492 - 07/23/07 03:42 AM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: cedfire]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i would find a place i knew like the back of my hand..trying
to bug out into unknown space would be a waste of time..if
you really felt that you need to abandon your home and had
BML land close enought to walk into i would find some spots
NOW and cut and stack wood and bury supplys as far away from
roads as i could walk in 5 or 6 hours on a "marked" but hidden
trail...if you are out of a city thats a good start..some of
the older outdoor books give tips on a "masked camp"..you
might want to look those up..
reading back over this i would make several supply spots
spaced out and hidden as travel might be hard to your first
choice.....

#100508 - 07/23/07 12:39 PM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: cedfire]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If picking your spot in the summer, try real hard to visualize what the route in (and the spot itself) will look like in the winter. Any little dry ditches now that might be wide and flowing after a heavy rain? Any "widow maker" trees on a slope above that might come crashing down at just the wrong time once covered with a load of the dreaded white stuff? Also, scout around for at least four or five miles in all directions, trying to make sure that you don't already have some unwanted neighbors...

#100513 - 07/23/07 01:19 PM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: cedfire]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am very blessed that I will inheret about 100 acres in WV. Probably half of that is trees and half is pasture and hay fields. I have about 250 miles of which about 200 miles are highway to get there. I plan to eventually build myself a small cabin there.
Anyway on to your brainstorming. I see state/national parks/forests as stopping points along the way if needed. My reasoning is short term any staff is going to just lock the gate and head home but if the event stretches out then your going to have to deal with others who have the same ideas or the maintenance staff coming back. So I don't see them as long term options, more a resting place for some sleep or refilling the water jugs and such but then moving on.
I do keep a map with all theose locations in my truck as well as maps of each park/forest. Since my main bug out route goes in a zig zaz path along the highways if something were to happen and I need to take back roads I have started mapping out alternate routs and started visiting those parks and forests to get familiar with the roads and areas there. this also lets me get outdoors some and practice a little bit of skills and test some of my gear. I've found that some of the parks and forests have gated entrances and some do not. So little details like that may help if some event happens. I make these weekend family outings as practice bug out situations.

#100590 - 07/24/07 02:06 AM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: cedfire]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
One of the questions that should be considered is exactly how do you define a long term bug out vs displacement, and do you want to factor in TEOTWAWKI theories?

To me, bugging out to a remote area, where there is no one for miles, is pretty silly. If it turns into a displacement, then sure, you've got a place to sleep, but you are also miles away from anything that resembles even emergency employment. What is good for zombies and terrorists seizing control of space based death rays isn't so good for a case where your old job isn't even a foundation any more, they think they found the company's owner but only from the shoulders down, and your apartment is drift wood. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100606 - 07/24/07 04:05 AM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: ironraven]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Thanks for the tips and ideas, keep 'em coming! smile

In reality, TEOTWAWKI scenarios are probably pretty slim for me. Well, short of Kim Jong-il tossing a few missiles in this direction.

I guess I'm looking at this more from an evacuation standpoint. If a massive natural disaster (flood, fire, earthquake) was to occur, or a man-made disaster (dirty bomb, accidental chemical release) it would be nice to have specific locations picked out ahead of time to bug out to. Likewise for friends and family, so that they knew where to head and meet up.

Then again, heading for the hills brings its own dangers such as meth heads and pot farmers. Neither of which would be very happy with visitors...

#100612 - 07/24/07 04:26 AM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: cedfire]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I guess my next question is, who would be expecting you?

It's one thing to be an utterly and completely homeless refugee. It's another to be able to have a place to go. Maybe talk a friend into letting you camp over his garage until you can get stable again? Or maybe a grown child you can guilt into letting you sleep on the couch for a week? smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100615 - 07/24/07 04:45 AM Re: Selecting long-term bug out locations [Re: cedfire]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...If a massive natural disaster (flood, fire, earthquake) was to occur, or a man-made disaster (dirty bomb, accidental chemical release) it would be nice to have specific locations picked out ahead of time..."

Biggest problem, as I see it, is predicting where this disaster is going to occur, which way the wind will be blowing at the time, which part of the earthquake fault did what, what Mother Nature will be doing during each season, etc. Not knowing that, one would have to have several (or a lot) locations pre-picked. Pretty soon it could become a deal of telling all the family to head to spot 13Q or something. Hard to remember and keep track of. And on top of that are those pot farmers...

#100616 - 07/24/07 04:51 AM Re: Selecting long-term bol: Avoid Flood Plains [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Any little dry ditches now that might be wide and flowing after a heavy rain?

I agree, and let me add to that.

Avoid Flood Plains. Many dangerous Flood Plains are not obvious.
Start identifying Flood Plains in your area. Start learning
how much area the drainage has. You will then be training
yourself to identify them by sight or on a map. Flood records
are another resource.

If you are evacuating, to escape a Hurricane, then you would want
to find high ground. For example, you relocate from Florida to
the foot hills of Georgia at an elevation of 200 feet. That may
be a high ground relative to Florida and storm (sea) surge.
But is it LOCAL high ground? If you are in a mountain valley,
i.e. a Flood Plain, you still may be in trouble.

This applies, whether you are in a secret camping spot, the
house of a relative, or a Wall-Mart parking lot.

BTW, it is common for a hurricanes to generate heavy rain for
inland areas, I think.

Edited by Hike4Fun (07/24/07 06:38 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.