Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#10039 - 10/16/02 08:21 PM first aid kit
mick Offline
dedicated member

Loc: England west yorkshire
finally built a small first iad kit. the contents include<br>large field dressing<br>5 melonin pads<br>2 roles of surgical tape<br>triangular bandage<br>crepe bandage<br>assorted plasters(band aids)<br>parrafin gauze pad<br>poly burn bag<br>surgical gloves<br>asprin<br>imodium<br>antiseptic wipes<br>safety pins<br>dioralite<br><br>any coments<br><br>does anybody know where to get betadine solution in GB?<br>thanks

#10040 - 10/16/02 09:54 PM Re: first aid kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it were my kit, I'd add moleskin, multi-vitamins to help keep the system up and running during the stressful times, benedryl, a topical ointment like Neosporin, an eye wash, I prefer to carry ibuprofen over aspirin, scissors/trauma shears. I'm alergic to poison oak, ivy and probably sumak, so we have caladryl lotion in our medkit as well as another topical for rashes, sun screen and burn cream. We also have "the extractor" for snake and insect bites and stings.

#10041 - 10/17/02 02:49 PM Re: first aid kit
mick Offline
dedicated member

Thanks for the reply.<br>Can you get neosporin in GB?

#10042 - 10/19/02 02:12 PM Re: first aid kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Longbow50<br>I would lose the multi-vitamins, eye wash, and caladryl. You might consider hydrocortisone cream for the topical allergy or Benadryl would do. I don't ever recommend Neosporin as many people are allergic to the neomycin in it. Bacitracin or Cutivate (an RX product) would be (IMHO) better choices.<br>Other than in the lay press there is no utility (and no medical indication) for an "extractor" of any type.<br>Ibuprofen and the sheas would be my choices as well.<br>Just an opinion.<br>Jeff

#10043 - 10/19/02 02:17 PM Re: first aid kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

I could offer a more meaningfull comment if you could translate a few items into "colonial English'. I presume that these are "equivalents"<br><br>Crepe bandage Gauze roller<br>Parafin gauze Vaseline gauze<br><br>Have no clue what melonin pads or dioralite are. I would add an antiseptic such as hibiclens or betadine. I would lose the poly burn bag unless that is something that you Brits swear by.<br>Best regards<br>Jeff<br>

#10044 - 10/19/02 04:25 PM Re: first aid kit
mick Offline
dedicated member

melonin pads are similar to gauze pads but made out of melonin. Some people are allergic to this material so you have to be careful.<br><br>Parafin gauze are burns dressings, similar to the petrolium gauze.<br><br>Dioralyte is an electrolite powder used to replace body salts lost though sweating and other causes of dehydration.<br><br>A crepe bandage is a woven but strechy bandage used on arms and legs to provide support and to prevent swelling of sprains.These come in the same lengths as roller gauze but I think they are made out of a different material.

Edited by mick (10/20/02 12:29 PM)

#10045 - 10/19/02 06:59 PM Re: first aid kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the input Jeff. It never occured to me that people would ba allergic to neosporin, but then I know a guy that's alergic to the latex bandages.

#10046 - 10/21/02 02:27 AM Re: first aid kit
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
Melolin is the name Smith& nephew have decided to call their product. It is essentially a non stick pad (not a woven gauze pad) with some cotton wool like material on its back to absorb seepage from wounds. It is essentially the same stuff found on the Opsite dressings.<br><br>paraffin gauze is TG dressing or tulle gras as the old surgeons used to call it. <br><br>Hope this helps <br><br>

#10047 - 10/21/02 04:14 AM Re: first aid kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Betadine is buffered iodine. You might try a veterinary for some. There are two solution percentages; one for simple disinfecting and another for dedicated wound care. If our two doctors have taught anything, it is that simple flushing and a sterile dressing are effective until reaching proper care. Crepe type bandages are properly rolled as stated in another reply. Be also aware of the tension AND direction of application in relation to muscle groups,circulation etc. I've witnessed 3 horses lose tail vertebrae from overzealous wrapping and a jumper with reversed leg wraps that actually impeded normal flexion.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.