Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#100366 - 07/21/07 02:16 AM Re: Broken Rat 7 [Re: Frankie]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It does. That is part of why I flinch when I see people batoning straight through- take your time and think. If you try to rush, you waste time, potentially damaging you or your gear, and start to spook the paranoid little chimp in the back of your mind.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100367 - 07/21/07 02:18 AM Re: Broken Rat 7 [Re: aloha]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Actually not a horrible idea... Put a chopping edge on the arc, and it might be better than decent for vines and the like.

Not to mention looking very hardcore. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100383 - 07/21/07 02:00 PM Re: Broken Rat 7 [Re: Frankie]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Speaking of him, the few times I have watched his show the knife he had did not look at all like the one he is selling. And one time he was batoning with a ROCK. On the back of a blade with "saw teeth"...

#100432 - 07/22/07 01:44 PM Re: Broken Rat 7 [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, methinks Mithril be some sort of silver alloy, but mayhap there be some titanium in the mix as well?

I did vintage RPG back in the 70s and 80s, back when Gygax was all there was. I find that such activities tend to stimulate the thought processes that lead to real world problem solving, even if it is based on fantasy. The closest I've come to RPG since then is Chess, or maybe Super Mario Brothers on SNES to entertain my daughters. I got tired of poor DMGs Monty Halling 3rd level fighters into 20th level Paladins and insensible traps that inflicted the equivalent of a tactical nuke in damage in a low level game. It ends up with the DMG dueling with his best friend while everyone else in the campaign calls it a day. We did have some real marathon games back in the day.

I also got a little more intrepid and started having my own adventures rather than living vicariously through the characters I'd created. At the time it was a good way to while away the monotony, but once I had the freedom to go do myself, I discovered that shooting a 44 magnum or hiking a mountainside was much more satisfying. My earlier youth was based more on outdoors activities, so it seemed natural to turn back to that when the opportunity presented itself. Doing circles in the Indian Ocean or being stuck on base was far removed from anything I'd call adventure.

#100463 - 07/22/07 07:55 PM Re: Broken Rat 7 [Re: falcon5000]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Interesting thing is: The steel has broken away in a arc. I would have expected the blade to snap. That rather tends to suggest a flaw in the steel. Either as a result of a poor casting or tempering. It might even have been as a result of two different pours of metal into the same mould.

#100507 - 07/23/07 12:20 PM Re: Broken Rat 7 [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Most likely it was a bit of differential temper along the blade, with the critically weak transition being where the break occured. Again, it is the way the latticing forms in the cast, then how the tempering process is applied that accentuates that temper line just enough to where something like this will happen in a highly structured alloy like D2. Softer steels have to really be temper processed to form such a break line, but it can be done. I've had chisel tips and punches snap at the temper line like that as well.

Back in shop, we were always told to keep the tool moving around in the liquid when we were tempering it so that you didn't create such a breakline, the idea being that the liquid would move up and down along the hot metal and this would shed the temper differential across a greater area. I'm cetainly no metallurgist, but it seems sensible to conclude that was at least a contributing factor.

Or maybe the dang thing just broke...

#100509 - 07/23/07 12:46 PM Re: Broken Rat 7 [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Or maybe the dang thing just broke..."

Now your're talking language I understand smile smile smile

#100545 - 07/23/07 06:55 PM Re: Broken Rat 7 [Re: ironraven]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Personally I have never planned to baton through any wood. When I did so, it was more a question of had to because there wasn't any other way to get the job done.

Such as: http://www.gardenerstoolshed.com/hudson_bay_ax.html

Which is what I would take with me if I knew in advance I had some cutting/splitting to do. Very few knives are designed to be heavy duty cutting/splitting tools, while most axes are.

Frank2135

#100598 - 07/24/07 02:43 AM Re: Broken Rat 7 [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Or maybe the dang thing just broke...

My theory to. If there was any sideways motion when it was wacked (doesn't have to be enough to notice), the center of the arc might well have been where the force was at it's greatest.

#100603 - 07/24/07 03:17 AM Re: Broken Rat 7 [Re: ironraven]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
IMHO, as you can see on the second image, the log is almost split. The knife just stuck on the bough knot. It looks small on the image, but it creates a curve in the wood structure which the knife's edge started to follow. The log parts are held together by another knot, which you can see on the second image. So, the back of the blade was still forced to stay vertical. (Well, I'm not sure if I'm explaining this clear enough? But that had happen to me zillions of times).

It's not that big a log for this knife. So if you feel it's too hard to split for its size - something is wrong. Just start at another angle, or better yet drive in a thick wood wedge instead, especially if the log has many knots.

Edited by Alex (07/24/07 03:19 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.