The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#100013 - 07/17/07 03:31 AM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: DeathtoToasters]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
American Science and surplus (http://www.sciplus.com/) lots of ni-cad rechargeables surplus and take-outs. then you need some recharging equipment-check out their solar panels and project kits. Then you can experiment with building a low cost PSK from their multi-tool, space blanket, and flashlight selections-or get the lab glassware to distill industrial quantities of water...great place.

#100027 - 07/17/07 01:31 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: nursemike]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

NiCad have their use, things like cordless drills where you can stall the motor and cause it to pull a lot of current. But for standard sizes like AA and AAA NiMH have at least twice the capacity in the low self discharge (Eneloop, Hybrid, nybrios, etc) up to alomst three times the capacity with some of the 2700-2800mAH batteries out there and with a quality charger can last a long time. I'm still using some 1650mAh NiMH from 1999 in our baby monitor and after switching to a decent charger they are running it for 2-3 weeks between charges.

#100284 - 07/20/07 06:29 AM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: cedfire]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Hi,

I agree on the giving up on standardizing. While it is certainly possible to get close, when I look for equipment I try to find the best I can afford. In doing so, I too wind up having to have different sizes. I've found (like you) that I can get it down to the three types you've mentioned (plus coin cell for Photon). I guess by making that type of choice, I'm putting what I (and perhaps you) feel is a priority (just my personal choice) on the benefit of the quality of equipment over the need to strive for single-size on the battery front.

One other thought -- for me redundancy is part of the formula, so while my personal carry items and BOB may need a few different sizes, I do try to keep the items for the kits for my wife and children down to 'AA' and 'AAA' items. That seems to work pretty well, and I stock up when I can find items on sale. Just a few weeks ago, I picked up two, 36 or 48 (can't remember off-hand) packs of Energizer Alkalines for under $10 each at Lowes.

Thanks for the battery case and organization links.

Michael

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#100288 - 07/20/07 11:31 AM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: buckeye]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are enough companies and products out there that standardizing isn't difficult at all. Look at my post when I asked about switching my EDC AAA for an AA flashlight, I got pelnty of replies with probably a dozen products to choose from.
Standardization is one of my lessons learned when you have different types then you have to buy twice as many and have to store and/or carry twice as much.

#100294 - 07/20/07 01:34 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: Eugene]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have lights in all sizes but "C" cell, but the only batteries I stock are AA & AAA alkaline and lithium and I just bought a solar charger for a shift to NiMH rechargeable batteries. D cells are for my Mag lites, all of which have LED bulbs. I keep fresh batteries in the "D" flashlights but I don't stock spares. Investing in high capacity NiMH D cells is an option, but the good ones are pricey.

#100295 - 07/20/07 01:47 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: Russ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I noticed that too, even the no name NiMH are pricy. My D mag light the batteries in it leaked and ate a hole in the side so its out of commission. Then I have a portable radio which takes D and the little coleman pump for the air mattress for camping it thats my last D power equipment.

#100689 - 07/24/07 10:19 PM Re: Extra Batteries [Re: DeathtoToasters]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I have bunches of rechargeables...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.