Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#94055 - 05/08/07 06:22 PM Food storage in the heat
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

I would like to know if anybody has solved the problem of storing food in the back of an auto (in the trunk) under hi heat conditions. Right now at my house it's 100 and the back of my truck in the shell it must be 120 or more.

#94066 - 05/08/07 08:06 PM Re: Food storage in the heat [Re: big_al]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The only suggestion I can make is to keep the food stores restricted to dry stuff: Raman noodles, rice, instant grits, etc. The heat should have less effect on those foods versus canned goods, MRE's, etc.

#94070 - 05/08/07 08:28 PM Re: Food storage in the heat [Re: big_al]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I used to rent an apartment where my kitchen storage was in the same shaft as the chimney for the oil burner for our steam heat. Canned goods did not last long in that heat. If we didn't rotate out all the cans and eat them in a month or two, the canned food went bad in that heat.

My suggestion is to think of an alternative location for the rations that are now in the vehicle. Without having tried it all summer, I'd suggest my camping technique of keeping food out at ambient temperature at night, then putting it in a cooler during the day (the cooler having been open at night). That works for me if the cooler is in the shade during the day. This is burdensome, of course, for the whole summer, but try it while you find a permanent solution.

Another thought which might be useful - I rent a white commercial van for a week at Burning Man (burningman.com), where we camp in the high desert with daytime temps in the 80s to low hundreds. I tape aluminum foil over all the windows (from the inside), and the van stays cool all day, no matter how hot the ambient temperature is. I think the van being white is a key factor, though.

#100144 - 07/18/07 10:28 PM Re: Food storage in the heat [Re: big_al]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
The only solution I know of is lifeboat rations from Mayday, Datrex, etc., along with hard candy, powdered soups, other dry goods, etc.

The lifeboat rations will be edible after five years, regardless of storage temperatures. The dry goods I typically replace annually after the end of hot weather.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.