Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#100040 - 07/17/07 05:43 PM Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Folks,

I am thinking of buying a take-down .22 rimfire for general hunting/field bag carry and to add to my BOB if needed.

Does anyone on the Forum have experience with the Marlin Model 70 Papoose .22 rimfire semi-auto rifle? Information concerning accuracy, durability and reliable functioning would be appreciated. I have never owned a Marlin .22 before.

I started out looking at an AR7 (now made by Henry Arms), but many people say that the quality/accuracy/reliablility is not up to the standard of the Marlin. The AR7 does takedown smaller and floats on it's own outside of its case.

Thanks,

Mike

#100066 - 07/17/07 10:35 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I've owned both my AR-7 was from charter arms though. They both have their pros and cons, but reliability the papoose is the best, but the AR-7 is easier to work on. Once you get them sighted they are about the same. Ease of carry goes to the AR-7 but the wide stock is uncomfortable but it floats. The papoose is comfortable but it dosen't break down as good as the AR-7 and it sinks like a rock. Overall I like the looks of the papoose better too.

#100079 - 07/18/07 01:38 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
Have you thought about a long barrel .22 pistol like on of the Ruger Mk II's or III's or Browning Buckmark. Packs very small and is very accurate with a good red dot or halo sight out to 50 yards or better. With some decent high velocity ammo, CCI Velocitor hollow points, you have a good small game hunter and protection in a relatively small package. You can even wear it in a bandolier type holster that will accommodate the scope.

#100084 - 07/18/07 02:22 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Saniterra,

I live in Canada, hunting with a handgun is prohibited and it is nearly (almost 100%) impossible to get a handgun carry permit (only a few issued for wildlife (bear) protection for trappers/prospectors/forest surveyors; after alot of Government screening, paperwork and mandatory training).

I like you idea but it is just not feasible for me where I live; that is why I was thinking of a take-down .22 rifle.

Thanks,

Mike

#100316 - 07/20/07 05:12 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
MichaelJ Offline

I'm looking at the same two guns and also two from TC. Of the two you mentioned, I’d go with the Marlin. If you can, go and check them out at a gun shop. I thought the AR-7 felt really cheep. The two TCs are the G2 Contender or the Encore. Both of those take down fast and people rave about their accuracy and reliability. Also, you could carry an extra barrel if you wanted or needed more versatility. They are a lot more money though.
Let us know what you decide.
Good Luck.

#100322 - 07/20/07 05:56 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: MichaelJ]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: MichaelJ
I'm looking at the same two guns and also two from TC. Of the two you mentioned, I’d go with the Marlin. If you can, go and check them out at a gun shop. I thought the AR-7 felt really cheep. The two TCs are the G2 Contender or the Encore. Both of those take down fast and people rave about their accuracy and reliability. Also, you could carry an extra barrel if you wanted or needed more versatility. They are a lot more money though.
Let us know what you decide.
Good Luck.

I have also been looking at the G2 Contender, but they are very expensive. It would be nice if I could fire one on a range before plunking down so much money...

#100324 - 07/20/07 06:22 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: ZenEngineer]
jjmagnum Offline

I have both the AR-7 and the Papoose. Both are sufficiently accurate to do the job of foraging and pest removal. I like the feel of the Papoose better, but as stated before it does require a case to float.

If you were going to be taking a canoe or boat trip I'd recommend the AR-7, but if that is not part of the plan the Papoose is the way to go. The case for the Papoose also will hold a fair amount of other "stuff" (including ammo; which the AR-7, beyond it's two magazines, will not).

#100328 - 07/20/07 07:01 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: ZenEngineer]
MichaelJ Offline

Actually, I was able to try both the Contender (.17) and the Encore (.223) and that's the reason they are sill on my list. Both felt great. I really like the lite weight and small size of the G2, but the Encore has a much larger verity of barrels including a 12 gage.

#100770 - 07/25/07 07:06 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: MichaelJ]
MichaelJ Offline

Does anyone know if the Marlin 70 Papoose can be scoped?

#100775 - 07/25/07 07:41 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: NightHiker]
jjmagnum Offline

Mine came with a scope but it was a cheap "22 scope" (small diameter tube). I took it off and am using the ramp sights with good results. A good gunsmith could install a nice peep sight on it (some find this better for accuracy).

With "survival guns" I like to keep things simple, and so far the issue sights are working fine.

#100801 - 07/26/07 01:35 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: jjmagnum]
quietmike Offline
Stranger

Another option worth considering is a folding stock 10/22. Much more accessories available to customize it however you want. rock solid durable and accurate to boot.

Here's mine:

#100805 - 07/26/07 02:50 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Folks,

This tread does not seem to be posting properly but I thought I would add something to check? If I have not responded to you it is because I cannot see your post, although I know there are 11 of them there?

I now have a line on a take-down Browning Auto .22; it is blued steel/wood stock with a magazine feed through the buttstock. Anyone have any experience with this rifle or would the Marlin Papoose be better (clip feed, stainless steel, floating case?

Mike

#100840 - 07/26/07 01:34 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Comparing your Browning to a Marlin is like apples to oranges. Marlin makes some good weapons, but a Browning, 'specially their take-down .22, is a FINE weapon. You want to swap, grab the Browning, I will buy a brand new Marlin and trade you straight across...

#100910 - 07/27/07 02:31 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi OBG,

I have only seen pictures of the Browning .22 Auto, it is an older Belgium; quite plain compared to the new Browning models. I think I will put it on hold until I can check it out in person this weekend.

I do like the idea of the Marlin Papoose stainless steel/synthetic stock and floating case (kind of like the 4x4 of .22's)? I also have a line on a used stainless Ruger 10/22 but it is not a takedown (could be rigged with a folding stock?

Decisions!

Mike

#101242 - 08/01/07 12:03 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: saniterra]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Saniterra,

I live in Canada, hunting with a handgun is prohibited and it is nearly (almost 100%) impossible to get a handgun carry permit (only a few issued for wildlife (bear) protection for trappers/prospectors/forest surveyors; after alot of Government screening, paperwork and mandatory training).

I like you idea but it is just not feasible for me where I live; that is why I was thinking of a take-down .22 rifle.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. This is a reposted mesage as the first one did not post properly?

#101276 - 08/01/07 05:19 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
I've had both. The accuracy of the AR7 was spotty at best. It also ended up with a problem where the sear would occasionally slip and it would pop off 2 or 3 rounds with one pull. It first happened after maybe 200 rounds through it. A bit of a safety issue to say the least. To be fair, it was a charter arms, so maybe Henry has better quality control.

I like the papoose. Accuracy is decent; it feels much better and more comfortable, so that helps with accuracy also. The barrel nut is much better, good heavy-duty stainless steel compared to aluminum on the AR7, so that undoubtably helps with accuracy also.

One thing that I don't like about most of the Marlins and other assorted .22s is the magazine sticking out. I've been spoiled by the Ruger 10/22 flush magazine. Doesn't affect function or accuracy, just a personal preference. If you do get a 10/22, find a replacement for the factory sight. Peep sight, more of a standard ramp and leaf, anything but the factory. IMHO, the factory brass bead on the ramp with the v notch rear are just terrible for anything except lined up on white paper.

#101620 - 08/04/07 11:23 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
I've owned the AR-7, a Charter Arms model. It was a POS in terms of accuracy and reliability. In the three or so years I owned it, I can't remember getting off more than three shots in a row with any brand or type of ammo before there was some sort of malfunction related to the rounds or spent casing getting hung up crossways in the breech. I knew much less about guns than I know now, so I might have had bad magazines or needed to polish the feed ramp. Writers on many of the gun forums report the same issues. Perhaps the Henry version is better. However, the Browning .22 is a piece of firearms art - truly a fine firearm. It would be my first choice, even with the additional expense, for a .22 rifle. It lacks the customization possibilities of the Ruger 10/22, which is also a very good firearm, but I would take the Browning in a minute over any .22 auto.

Good luck with your search.

#101651 - 08/05/07 01:44 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: saniterra]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Saniterra,

I was a day late in getting to the gun shop (about 300 miles from my house) and the Browning .22 auto there was sold already;
"ya snooze, ya loose".

I am still looking at buying the Marlin Papoose; I cannot find a bad word about it on the web anywhere. If anyone has anything negative to say about this rifle please speak up before I place an order?

Thanks,

Mike

#101655 - 08/05/07 02:10 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...the Browning .22 auto there was sold already..."

Bummer. I had a chance to buy one cheap back in the '70's, and for some stupid reason did not. I regret that to this day...

#101926 - 08/07/07 09:51 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thank You all for your comments on .22 Rimfire take-down rifles.

After searching the Internet and considering your replies I could not find a bad report on the Marlin Papoose 70PSS, so I ordered one from S.I.R. in Winnipeg today.

I will let you all know how it shoots in a couple of weeks.

Mike

#101929 - 08/07/07 10:01 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
drahthaar Offline

Sorry I didn't see this post until now.

It looks like it is a takedown version of the old model 60 (with a clip instead of the tubular magazine). The action looks the same.

I've had two of those. They are functional little shooters.

They can be finicky with ammo and higher velocity rounds worked best for me because they would eject better. The jams are easy to clear, just have to cycle the action. If you do start getting jams you will want to keep a leatherman handy - the cartridges often jam with the spent round wedge above a live round and it is hard to dislodge the round without some kind of tool. (I used the awl on my cub scout knife - which shows you how long ago it was.)

In all, it was a decent, cheap little .22. Can't wait to hear how the takedown version works.

#101941 - 08/07/07 11:36 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: drahthaar]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the Marlin .22 Rimfire info drahthaar.

Concerning having a Leatherman handy, I have worn the same Leatherman PST on my belt for about 12 years; but with the new rifle I also ordered a Charge XTI (they were on sale, 25% off because they are discontinued) plus a few more toys I do not want my wife to find out about!

I hope to do my first review on the Marlin Papoose in a month or so.

Mike

#103741 - 08/27/07 11:18 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi all,

The nice Canada Post employee arrived at my front door this morning with a long parcel from S.I.R., my new Marlin Papoose .22 semi-auto.

First impressions; the rifle looks well made and assembled easily and quickly. I like the sight picture (even with old eyes) and the carrying case is good with some extra room for survival stuff.

I figured that the butt-stock was hollow and after removing 2 short stainless steel Phillips head screws found that the centre of the buttplate is removable. The cavity is about the volume of an Ritter/AMK Survival Pak but from the factory there is some folded poly foam packaging in it. I do not know if this is to add floatation or to just help reduce the hollow sound?

I am thinking about filling the buttstock with the basics of a survival kit (fire-making items, water purification, signaling whistle/mirror, cordage, small knife) and altering the buttplate to allow easier access.

This has to be a balanced addition, so as to not increase the weight of the contents of the carrying case (rifle and extras) beyond the floatation built into the case (I need to test this).

I look forward to this latest little project and if any ETS members can provide input that would be appreciated.

Mike

P.S. I hope to test fire this new Marlin rifle and a Savage 24C Campers Companion this weekend, I will post the outcome.

#103756 - 08/28/07 01:50 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
MedicineMan Offline

Loc: upper east TN
Please let me know:
simva4040@yahoo.com
if you ever take pics of the butstock mod on your papoose for survival gear!
I also have this rifle...it is in my BOB along with 200 rounds of hollow point. It is such a nicer rifle than my AR-7...the ability to float is over emphasized in these types of weapons and I'm glad to have realiability versus flotability. Currently I'm trying to locate a small scope for the papoose...seems like Wallyworld used to sell them for around $10 but in my area I cannot find one frown

#104378 - 09/03/07 01:27 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi All,

I took a quick trip to the gun range today as it was to windy to do the hiking/fishing trip I had planned with my family. My 10 year old daughter went with me (her first time) and was very excited about the experience.

My visit to the range took a little longer than expected as I helped a nice young couple sight in a scoped Lee-Enfield .303 British; the husband missed 2 bears at rock throwing distance last evening! He had the rifle scoped by a gunsmith last year and bore-sighted it but had never fired it until yesterday, DUH!

The new Marlin Papoose was very easy to assemble (put the barrel on, tighten with the wrench supplied), but the action release catch is new to me on a semi-auto rifle and will take some getting use to.

I was shooting at 40 metres with the factory iron sights, in a wild crosswind and my eyes are not what they use to be. Even with those excuses I was disappointed with the first few 5 shot groups from the rifle; about 4 inches. I also had one mis-fire (fired on second try) and one stove-pipe jam.

I tried a couple brands of ammunition but they were all about the same. Then after a short while the groups started to tighten up and by the end of the session I could cover a 5 shot group with a quarter! I think the rifle just needed to be "shot-in" a little bit because it is shooting "minute of grouse head" groups now and functioning without a hitch (as fast as you can pull the trigger).

The rifle seems to prefer sub-sonic rounds (both Remington and CCI hollow-points) which is good because this is what I hunt small game with. High velocity and Hyper velocity rounds all worked well (cycled harder) but were not quite as accurate.

CCI CB Longs shot OK (very quiet) but had to be cycled-up from the magazine by working the bolt like a straight pull bolt action.

.22 shorts did not feed or function at all and the firearm is rated for Long Rifle ammunition only.

With my vision I would really need to scope the rifle to test it's accuracy at longer range, but this reduces the compactness of the rifle so I think I will leave it as is; just add a black nylon sling.

I have been pondering filling the hollow buttstock with basic survival tools and construction a trap-door or easy removable buttplate but I think that is a winter project.

In summary, after a limited first try I am very happy with this Marlin take-down .22 rifle and can see the beginning of a long partnership.

Mike

#104382 - 09/03/07 01:43 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Sounds like a winner. Now I want one even more...

#105321 - 09/11/07 07:26 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JamesJ Offline
Stranger

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
I was looking to purchase the AR-7 earlier this year, but once I got to the shop and held both it and the Papoose my mind was made up immediately. I went with the papoose.

There was a small piece of plastic (nylon, whatever) for the alignment of the barrel for the AR and on the display model I could see that it was already heavily damaged. I figured if it couldn't handle in store use, I didn't want it in the field. When I held it, it also felt really nose heavy and frankly the stock felt cheap and bulky. It was a black model and the finish was gouged already as well.
The stock is not watertight, meaning while it will float (there are airpockets molded into the stock), your ammo will still likely get wet.

The Papoose aligns with steel on steel. No stock storage, but the case holds alot. I picked up a second 7 shot clip immediately for it. My understanding is that in the case the Papoose will float (assuming you aren't storing tons in it). The sling mounts are nice. I picked up a set of quick releases, and threw together a nylon web sling for nothing.

I have tried out a few brands of shells in it. Federal eagles were garbage and caused many jams. The blue box federals were only slightly better. I have had great success with Remington Cyclones and I assume the solid point Thunderbolts would be the same. Not a jam in a brick of 500, 3 misfires I was able to pop off with a second try. Tried some old standard ammo, shot nice, but not enough punch to fully load the next shell. I assume the Remington Goldens would work quite well too. Did try a real old box of CIL (probably 30-40 years old) High Power shells and they also worked great. I have noticed a slight increase in the tendency to jam if you put pressure on the clip with the front hand while supporting it. If you are getting a scratch on the lead of the next shot then that is what is happening.

Put a Tasco rimfire 3-7x scope on it just over a week ago. It still fits in the case, just, lol. I haven't had alot of chance to do much beside a basic sighting, but my brother used it last friday while I was sighting in my 308. With a life size rabbit target at 100 yards, using the sling, sitting on a bench,he could put a whole clip of 7 shots into it's head. He also hasn't done any shooting in 16 years. I'm assuming it would group very nicely if I had a rig to test it on.

My final verdict, and this is really just my opinion, is that the AR seems to be more for the guys that like to look like they can survive (an accessorie), but the Papoose is a real survival tool.

#105338 - 09/11/07 09:21 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: JamesJ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi James,

Thanks for the report on the Marlin Papoose, it seems you and I both came to the same conclusion on which take-down .22 to purchase.

I plan on trying my Papoose this weekend for the opening of grouse season.

Good Luck,

Mike

#105413 - 09/12/07 02:40 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
JamesJ Offline
Stranger

Well good luck. Let me know how it works for you.

#105529 - 09/13/07 02:49 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: JamesJ]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I am thinking of purchasing a "papoose", however I am left handed. Some rifles spread a great deal of fire and debris out of the breech. A problem for us lefties.

I would use shooting goggles anyway, but I hate having my face get burned with every shot.

Anyone have experience using the Papoose left handed?

#105560 - 09/13/07 07:07 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Nomad]
JamesJ Offline
Stranger

Yup, I'm a lefty too. Works just fine for me, just have to watch my thumb position due to the small area for the front hand. But I'm sure a right would then have to watch all his fingers.

Haven't had any shells eject back at me like with some outher semis, they eject nicely straight out to the side.

#105601 - 09/14/07 12:09 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: JamesJ]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Thanks for the "lefty" evaluation. Just placed an order for one. Total cost delivered will be about $250.00. I have seen it in some advertisements for $190. Add shipping, tax and FFL handling and I ended up with the $250 price.

I once fired a full automatic 45 cal open bolt weapon (grease gun) from the shoulder (left shoulder). It of course ejects to the right. Burned all the hair off my face. Good thing I was wearing goggles. Kinda makes one "gun shy" with non gas operated semi-automatics.

Local gunsmith will re-work the trigger and reduce the over 5 lb pull to around 3. Cost $20.

Should have it next week.

#105635 - 09/14/07 01:14 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Nomad]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Nomad,

This Marlin Papoose is the only semi-auto long-gun that I own, so I am new to the "spitting out debris from the action cycling" problem.

I shoot right-handed and wear perscription shooting glasses while at the range.

On my last trip with the Papoose I found that my persrciption glasses were interfering with my focus on the open iron sights of the rifle (I usually shoot with a scope) so I lowered my glasses for a 5 round group (I know, my bad). I did detect debris being ejected from the action with the spent case and since I was shooting in a very strong wind some of this material was being blown back into my face/eyes.

So when I was shooting after that I would trade my perscription glasses with my daughter for her clear safety glasses and I beat both the focusing and debris problem.

In summary I do not think the Papoose ejected any more debris than normal, just the windy conditions of the day made it a problem.

How this would effect a left-handed shooter I do not know, if I take the rifle hunting tomorrow (opening day for grouse where I live) I will rattle off a clip from the left shoulder and let you know.

Good Luck,

Mike

#105636 - 09/14/07 01:30 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
JamesJ Offline
Stranger

In the 1200+ rounds I have put through mine I have noticed a little material eject only a few times, never enough to feel it burn my face. I have a feeling that ammo type will also play part in this, seemed to happen only with the federal stuff.

If there is one thing purchasing this little rifle has taught me is that with ammo (like so much in life), you get what you pay for. I won't be running any more federal rounds through it and I will only pack it for the field with good name, higher end shells.

I saw some talk on here about using Hyper velocity shells. The manual advises against them (as well as the standards), but I'm curious for more detrail in how people found they worked.

$20 to have the trigger weight dropped is very nice and a hell of an idea. If there is any complaint I have its the fact that I find the weight a touch high for a nice squeeze and I have to concentrate to avoid a pull (being such a light set-up).

Edited by JamesJ (09/14/07 01:32 PM)

#105639 - 09/14/07 01:57 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: JamesJ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi James,

I do not remember which ammo I was using when I noticed the debris from the action of my Papoose, I was testing Remington, CCI and Federal that day.

I found that the sub-sonic ammo from both Remington and CCI shot the best in my Papoose, this is good because it is what I like to hunt edible small game with (low noise and does not distroy much meat). These slightly lower velocity (listed at 1050fps) rounds functioned fine through the rifle and were the most accurate.

The trigger on my Papoose could use improvement (heavy and creepy) but I figured I would try it this year before I would have a trigger job done. A trigger job would cost about $50.00 here but the gun shop is 200 miles from my home so I do not get there often.

Has anyone had the trigger on a Papoose tuned, what was the result like?

Thanks,

Mike

#105650 - 09/14/07 03:14 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
Nomad Offline
Addict

There is a description of how to do trigger work on the rimfire forum

Rimfire Forum

Put papoose trigger in the search box. Lots of info there. If you are not a member, join as it is a very informative forum. Lots of info about the papoose there.

#105658 - 09/14/07 04:29 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Nomad]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Nomad,

Thanks for the link to the Rimfire Forum, I just spent an hour over there and it is a very interesting site.

Mike

#105788 - 09/16/07 12:09 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Nomad]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Nomad,

I just returned home from an afternoon of grouse hunting but since I saw no birds lets call it a "beautiful day for a 5 mile stroll in the woods".

I test fired the Papoose left-handed to see if there was any debris blowback from the action or hot casing on the right forearm problems.

There was only a slight wind and I felt no blowback at all, the spent casings all ejected straight sideways well over my extended right arm (I used both Remington and CCI shells). If I ever have to shoot something left-handed it better be close because my groups were terrible (not the rifles fault, I am right-handed).

The rifle was very light to carry, but I think in cold weather you will have to wear gloves because the balance point is on the cold metal magazine.

I noticed the rear sight was a little loose (it wanted to fold down) so I put a little epoxy on the hinge and it is now very solid.

So I had an enjoyable hike but I have yet to test the new Papoose on game, maybe tomorrow?

Mike

#105845 - 09/16/07 02:43 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Thanks SD. I should receive mine this week. Looking forward to it of course.

#106700 - 09/23/07 04:42 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
The AR7 always struck me as fairly crude. I like the idea, but the stock was uncomfortable and I just wasn't impressed by the overall workmanship.

The Marlin papoose has always intrigued me. On the downside, as a kid, everyone I knew had a Marlin or Glenfield (poor man's Marlin) rifle. The were constantly jamming. Even my bolt action Glenfield would jam the first two rounds on a full mag. We referred to Marlin 22 autos as "Jam Masters". The accuracy is superb, but I just have a hard time feeling like I could rely on a Marlin .22 (that may not be fair, but the feeling is still there). Now Marlin's lever actions are a whole 'nuther thing. They are superb tools. They have a lever 22 that takes down and is worthy of consideration.

The Browing 22 auto is pure artwork. They are superb rifles. I would have a hard time putting one in a BOB. It belongs on the wall being admired, or carried in the field plinking critters.

For me the best solution for a compact rifle is the Ruger 10/22 CRR (compact rifle) in a folding stock. The Rugers are very reliable and have decent accuracy. Spare parts are available everywhere. The compact rifle (CRR) has a nice short 16 1/8" barrel. There are several options in folding stocks, but my favorite is made by Butler Creek (same stock pictured above by quietmike). They have blue steel or stainless steel versions.

The ruger mags are utterly reliable for feeding and are much better protected in the stock, than hanging out below like other mag styles.

One more thing... The 10/22 in a folding stock doesn't have to be assembled (or the stock extended) to go "bang".

I believe that survival tools should be kept simple and reliable and am a huge fan of reciever or express sights. The XS sights are just superb. http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html
With a bit of effort I'm sure I could find a suitable floating case for this package.

Good luck in your quest.

TR

Edited by pizzaman (09/23/07 04:46 AM)

#106710 - 09/23/07 08:35 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: fugitive]
neus_bloeier Offline
Stranger

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I like the BRNOs to be honest. I have only shot one of them once but it was a treat. Have a look here.

http://www.brnoguns.co.uk/22rifles.htm.

They are beautiful looking rifles as well.

#107808 - 10/04/07 10:45 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
Citabria Offline
Stranger

Loc: South Florida
OK, all the good talk about the Marlin Papoose on this and other forums put me over the edge . . . I bought one today. What a pretty piece.

I grew up with guns in Texas. But it has been years since I’ve shot and all the new ammo options are confusing me.

In anticipation of receiving the gun I bought :
100 rounds of CCI CB Long [Conical Ball 22 L LRN – 29 Grain]
100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag HP High Velocity [22 LR CHP – 36 grain]
500 rounds of Remington 22 Thunderbolt 22 LR Hi-Speed [40 grain lead round nose]

So I get the gun and read the manual. In part, it says they recommend:
CCI Mini-Mag [no details]
CCI Mini-Mag Hollow Point [ no details ]
Federal Classic Hi Velocity
Remington High Velocity [NOT THUNDERBLT]  Their words!!
Winchester Super X High Velocity

What is it about the Remington Thunderbolt that is a problem? Surely a 40 grain round isn’t too much for this gun?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#107817 - 10/05/07 01:41 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Citabria]
Nomad Offline
Addict

I just received my papoose. Have not had a chance to fire it yet. Seems like a very nice rifle, but I will refrain from commenting until I take it into the woods.

Is the thunderbolt round a lead (not copper plated)bullet? I understand that lead bullets cause more problems with the action than copper clad ones. I wondered about that when I saw the notice in the documentation.

#107895 - 10/06/07 12:15 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Nomad]
Citabria Offline
Stranger

Hi Nomad,

I think you are right on about the clad rounds vs. the lead rounds in an auto.

I went to the range today with the Papoose and my 195something Savage 15 .22 bolt action rifle. Only the 25 yard range was open but that was OK.

I shot about 75 rounds of the lead nosed rounds in the bolt action gun. First time I’ve shot a rifle in about 20 years. Reminded me of my kid days in Texas when I lived with a similar gun. The last three rounds were much better than the first three!

Then I assembled the Papoose and shoved home a clip of CCI Mini-Mag HP rounds. WOW! What a difference. Three inch patterns with iron sights out of the box. I shot 100 rounds total and every shot was at least close.

At 25 yards the patterns were about 1.5” high which I would guess to be about right for 50 yards. I adjusted the rear ramp some but saw very little difference. But that was prolly due more to my having fun than really trying to sight in the gun.

The papoose ate the Mini-Mag rounds like candy. I need more clips and more ammo!

What a nice piece, what fun!

A 4X scope is next for the 100 yard range. Also some work on the trigger- way too stiff for accuracy.

Hope you enjoy yours as much.

#107934 - 10/06/07 03:26 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Citabria]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Thanks for the quick range report. Reality has reared its ugly head and it is busy eating all of my spare time. Testing the papoose will have to wait. Drat....

#112482 - 11/14/07 02:39 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi All,

After about 2 months of using the Marlin Papoose, as a plinker/small game collecter I have determined that it fills my need well.

I have harvested 6 ruffed grouse with it (missed a couple but it was not the rifle's fault) using CCI .22 LR Sub-sonic ammo. I added a nylon sling to the rifle and due to the light weight you never know it is on your shoulder. It assembles/disasembles quickly, functions reliably and I like the floating sectional case it comes with.

I have only 2 minor complaints and both involve the sights.

The hood on the front sight protects it well but can catch on brush and be pulled off. This happened twice to me and both times made a "ping" sound, with some searching I was able to find the hood again.

The rear sight is under tension from the sliding notched elevaton bar under it, this causes the face of the open rear sight to fold down slightly. I tried to fuse the sight in the vertical position with some clear nail lacquar but it failed. The next thing to try is some epoxy or J-B Weld.

I should really just replace the rear sight with a peep sight mounted on the reciever rails as I shoot better with this system anyway.

I noticed when I took the butt plate off that the stock is hollow, this winter when I have some free time I am going to construct a mini PSK to store inside there (just the bare basics) and make it easier to access this space.

So after about 300 rounds of shooting over 3 sessions, 5 day hunting hikes and a few grouse in the bag I have concluded that the Marlin Papoose .22 Semi-auto Take-Down rifle was a good purchase for me; I will continue to use it and would reccomended it to others as a small game, casual plinker or BOB rifle.

Mike

#112689 - 11/16/07 05:42 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
jjmagnum Offline

Mike that was a great report! I'm glad you like your Papoose, I am rather fond of mine as well. In fact, it has replaced my AR-7 as my "go-to" storable 22. I haven't pulled the buttplate off of mine yet, I might have to do that this weekend!

#112737 - 11/17/07 05:16 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: NightHiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Any problem with not having a forestock? Does your hand get burned if you touch the barrel? A lot of exposed barrel.

#112751 - 11/17/07 02:37 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Hikin_Jim]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Goodmorning HJ,

I wondered about how it would feel holding a rifle without a forestock before I ordered the rifle. After using it for a while I now find I just ignore it; I either hold the barrel or the end of the stock near the front sling swiwel, no problem.
I have quickly fired a 10 round magazine through the rifle and never noticed the barrel getting overly hot, not like a centrefire rifle would.

I am willing to give up a forestock on this functional type rifle to benefit from the takedown portability.

Later,

Mike

#112980 - 11/19/07 08:36 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
The T/C Contender is used for handgun metallic silhouette shooting. With a good barrel and trigger it is at least as accurate as most .22 target rifles. The handgun metallic silhouette shooters use a 6X rifle scope and hold the gun with two hands, close to their eye. They use a "taco" hold. One hand is on top over the scope, like they were holding a taco. There is no eye danger with the rifle scope close to your eye when shooting a .22. You have the accuracy of a .22 target rifle with the size of a handgun.

Every year there is shooting festival at Ben Avery, here in Phoenix. Many of the clubs have an open house. I tried a .22 target rifle and a .22 Contender at metallic silhouette targets. The 6x Contender was easier to hit with. I has able to hold it steadier and get more consistent hits.

I own a G1 T/C Contender Carbine with 21" .22lr, .223 and 7-30 Waters barrels. Someday I will get pistol barrels for it.

#112991 - 11/19/07 09:50 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Craig_phx]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Craig,

It would be great to hunt with a handgun (light, compact) but since I live in Canada it just will not happen as there are strict laws here on handgun ownership and use, with serious penalties.

The T/C Contender is a great system, and very versatile with the interchangeable barrels.

I have found the Marlin Papoose to be the next best thing in a compact small game firearm. I also use a Savage Model 24 Campers Companion break action .22LR/20ga that makes a good small utility gun when larger game may be on the program (e.g. .20 ga slugs for deer or black bear).

Take care,

Mike

#113017 - 11/20/07 12:48 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I also use a Savage Model 24 Campers Companion break action .22LR/20ga that makes a good small utility gun when larger game may be on the program (e.g. .20 ga slugs for deer or black bear).

Take care,

Mike

The Savage 24C, a dang fine camp/camping firearm IMHO. Great for small game, with medium sized big game capability. A nice "survival" kit firearm, with the 10-.22lr and 2-20ga shell storage in the butt.

#113041 - 11/20/07 02:49 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Wouldn't the Papoose be a restricted firearm in Canada because the barrel is shorter than 18"? I don't own any guns but I've done a fair bit of reading.

#113078 - 11/20/07 02:21 PM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Hacksaw,

Because the Marlin Papoose is a rimfire (not a centrefire) and the barrel was factory made in the short length is is not classed as a restricted firearm in Canada. You do still need a normal Possession/Acqusition Licence to purchase it.

I mail-ordered mine from SIR in Winnipeg http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod.php...c867c0801fd8e36

Mike

#113149 - 11/21/07 03:00 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hi Hacksaw,

Because the Marlin Papoose is a rimfire (not a centrefire) and the barrel was factory made in the short length is is not classed as a restricted firearm in Canada. You do still need a normal Possession/Acqusition Licence to purchase it.

I mail-ordered mine from SIR in Winnipeg http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod.php...c867c0801fd8e36

Mike

Nice site. US Survival Rifle for $209. Might be time to get my license.

#113157 - 11/21/07 03:27 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Hacksaw,

Worthwhile doing some research on the web comparing the US Survival Rifle AR7 to the Marlin Papoose Takedown, there are good points to both and lots of opinions to help your decision.

SIR was recently purchased by Cabela's and the new flyer I recieved in the mail had some Cabela's items in it. This may provided an easier and more cost effective method to access some US made products.

Mike

#113301 - 11/23/07 02:06 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: SwampDonkey]
Citabria Offline
Stranger

Today I ran 300 rounds of CCI Min-Mag HP thorough my Papoose. With a cheap scope it was shooting consistent 3” groups at 50 yards- 10 round clips in fewer than 8 seconds. The gun is smooth.

#206662 - 08/24/10 12:26 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Bishop Offline
Stranger

Hello all,
I'm new to all this and just got a Papoose with mags.

Question .. does anyone recommend a scope for this, even if just for play. Yeah I know it'll screw up the bag and barrel pouch idea.
And if so, a preferred one that doesn't break the bank.

Just got the 70ss, only one available new for me.

#206664 - 08/24/10 01:02 AM Re: Marlin Model 70 Papoose Take-down .22 Rimfire [Re: Bishop]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
years ago, when building a 10-22 for the Sportsman's Team Challenge I had the opportunity to talk via phone to Jim Clark Sr. For you trying to sort out different brands of .22 ammunition, he suggested that you shoot at least 50 rounds before shooting for groups...that it took that many shots between different batches or manufacturers for the chamber to "seal"..for the blowback gases and residue to fill around the cartidge...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.