Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#99831 - 07/13/07 08:31 PM Canadian TSA Having Issues Too
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Apparently we in the US are not the only ones experiencing growing pains with regards to TSA employees.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenew...BOMBJOKES-1.xml

#99843 - 07/14/07 03:21 AM Re: Canadian TSA Having Issues Too [Re: gatormba]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Let them give us some real protection and not the illusion of safety and the system might not have as many problems. Its like the drama of having solders with M-16s in airports after September 11th. How are they supposed to protect us there? They can't and neither can rent-a-cops put into government uniforms.

Of course people don't seem to want real protection, which is part of the reason we don't have body x-rays in airports. People don't want a silhoutte of them seen with out their cloths.

"Water landing safety instructions at seven hundred miles an hour, mmm hmm. Illusion of safety." -Tyler Durden, Fight Club

#99907 - 07/15/07 07:34 PM Re: Canadian TSA Having Issues Too [Re: AROTC]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If airports had been routinely x-raying people for the last twenty years or so, Martin Focazio would probably glow in the dark!

There are health issues with repeated x-rays. Although they may not be in the majority, there are people who travel a LOT.

Sue

#99911 - 07/15/07 07:51 PM Re: Canadian TSA Having Issues Too
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I wonder if T.S.A. employee's have to have their sense of humor and their common sense surgically removed as a condition of employment?

#99917 - 07/15/07 08:28 PM Re: Canadian TSA Having Issues Too [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
While I have to admit that some of them are jerks, it would be a rather stressful job, knowing that it is possible that any one of the jillion flyers that they have to screen every day could be a bad guy hoping to blow up the world, or a TSA employee testing how well you are doing your job. What amazes me the most is how hung up they get on underwire bras. A well endowed woman (my wife in this case) sets off the alarm thanks to the wire in her bra, they go nutso, making her stand on the little footprints, arms spread wide, while two or three of them try to see if it is really wire, or maybe a couple of guns, without actually grabbing a handful. Flying naked will come to pass, mark my words...

#99936 - 07/16/07 03:24 AM Re: Canadian TSA Having Issues Too [Re: Susan]
AROTC Offline
Addict

If they routinely x-rayed people at airports I'd probably have been sterile before I was ten.

But the fact remains that most of the reasons people oppose increased security are far from concrete and the security we do get is more show then substance.

I'm not an expert, so I'm unclear on the safety and efficacy of the body x-rays. But magnetometers and luggage x-rays are decades old. The strategies of terrorists and other criminals have evolved beyond the security they provide.

But the serious issue is that security at airports are a joke; we need effective security, not bandaids and not smoke and mirrors.

The other issue is courtesy and respect. People get angry at airports, they take it out on their fellow passengers and on security and flight personnel. I think part of that is the feeling that the security is just a waste of their time. There are other factors, including, I feel, a general malase in how people interact with each other in society today as well as frustration with how they are treated by the airlines. But how they are treated at security and to little purpose is a large part I think.

#99950 - 07/16/07 12:12 PM Re: Canadian TSA Having Issues Too [Re: AROTC]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

I think he might be talking about compton scatter imaging. I don't know too much about it, or the long term health effects of continuous use, but these machines let screeners see everything. And that means everything. From what I've heard, these machines are almost too effective, not only showing what a person is carrying and a silhouette, but intimate details about your anatomy. The machine is basically a strip search without them having to ask you to take your clothes off.

#99960 - 07/16/07 02:00 PM Re: Canadian TSA Having Issues Too [Re: hamilton]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...intimate details about your anatomy..."

The few images I saw on TV when these things first came out are far from intimate. And personally, one of the things I worry least about in life is someone, who I have never seen before, and will probably never see again, getting a x-ray view of my old worn out bod. If that is what turns him/her on, so be it. Better than the guy in the next seat whipping out a "plastic" knife in flight and sending us all someplace we do not want to go...

#99975 - 07/16/07 03:45 PM Re: Canadian TSA Having Issues Too [Re: OldBaldGuy]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Not to mention, people are concerned about being seen naked at the airport but not concerned about the suspension of habeas corpus or warrantless searches. I think there was a disproportionate outcry about the possiblity the machines would show a persons privates then about the Patriot Act or the President's domestic spy program.

#100016 - 07/17/07 03:53 AM Re: Canadian TSA Having Issues Too [Re: AROTC]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...habeas corpus or warrantless searches..."

Not sure that applies here. No one is making anyone get on those airplanes. If you want to get on one, follow the rules...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.