The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#101145 - 07/30/07 09:44 PM Re: Pics of my kits [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
In my big kit (in the MOLLE backpack) I have a big water bladder and a Nalgene Bottle for water. I hope to have pictures up of my large kit soon...

#101148 - 07/30/07 10:40 PM Re: Pics of my kits [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I agree -- carry 1 l water in a bottle in your car/ backpack/briefcase.

#101165 - 07/31/07 01:00 AM Re: Pics of my kits [Re: Eugene]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

I already have an ARC AAA, Sorry. smile

#101176 - 07/31/07 03:23 AM Re: Pics of my kits [Re: Rusty]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Rusty

As far as the matches go...I have an entire bottle of waterproof matches in there. I think it wastes alot of space. What is the best way to store these matches outside of there containr in a kit??

With a striker?

I'd scrap the matches and get a fire steel or additional Spark Lite fire starter. You will save space, and get many more fires from either of the above than you would the lifeboat matches in the bottle. Better yet, get one of each, You stick tinder such as Tinder Quick or the Coglans(sp?) tinder in any open space within the kit. Doug's AMK PSP uses a Spark Lite and 5 Tinder Quick.

Edited by SBRaider (07/31/07 03:25 AM)

#101189 - 07/31/07 10:34 AM Re: Pics of my kits [Re: Stu]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I would try to add some shelter items to your big-kit, such as a heatsheet, emergency poncho,etc.

#101270 - 08/01/07 04:50 AM Re: Pics of my kits [Re: OldBaldGuy]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I'm not sure I'd go with big bills myself. I would not expect to be able to get change readily in situations where honest merchants are selling goods at their regular prices but can't operate a register and don't have access to the bank for a lot of ones.

#101298 - 08/01/07 09:03 PM Re: Pics of my kits [Re: Stu]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
Originally Posted By: Rusty

As far as the matches go...I have an entire bottle of waterproof matches in there. I think it wastes alot of space. What is the best way to store these matches outside of there containr in a kit??

With a striker?

I'd scrap the matches and get a fire steel or additional Spark Lite fire starter. You will save space, and get many more fires from either of the above than you would the lifeboat matches in the bottle. Better yet, get one of each, You stick tinder such as Tinder Quick or the Coglans(sp?) tinder in any open space within the kit. Doug's AMK PSP uses a Spark Lite and 5 Tinder Quick.

Ah,no. Sorry. Matches do have their uses. Some people love them, some hate them. I have them because they make a reliable one handed storable fire starter. In some respects they are, from a storability point of view, better than a lighter. No leaking gas issues etc. In a small kit, like your otter box, put them in a small ziplock baggy. With a striker board from a match box. Better yet, split them between two baggies.

As a point, at any given moment (outside the house) I have at least two lighters, match safe and a couple of ferro rods stashed around me somewhere. Plus something like eight plus TinderQuick tabs. A lot of the time it's closer to twenty plus.

#101315 - 08/02/07 01:24 AM Re: Pics of my kits [Re: philip]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
+1 on that. The biggest I stash for emergencies is 20s. Most ones and fives.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#101490 - 08/03/07 06:22 PM Re: Pics of my kits [Re: ironraven]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

The bottle of matches are going to stay until I can find a better way to store a smaller amount or purchase another sparklite.

I think i might ditch the rubber gloves in favor of a water bladder ...

It this a fairly well rounded kit for the most part??? I have some extra room for some things...any ideas on what else I can put in???

#101493 - 08/03/07 07:32 PM Re: Pics of my kits [Re: Rusty]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
IMHO, its a good kit. Most of the suggestions I've read in this thread are matters of personal preference, and I think we all have a tendency to tinker with these kits.

As far as adding anything, I think I would focus on the most likely emergencies I might encounter in my life (for example, being stranded in my car in severe winter weather), and put in some small piece of light gear that would be helpful for that.

Or a candy bar. grin

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 334 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.