Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100483 - 07/23/07 01:34 AM PSK For Youth Training
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Goodevening Folks,

I said on an earlier post that I would list the items in the Personal Survival Kit assembled by the kids I recently taught a very basic wilderness survival course to. I apologise for no photographs, I do not have a digital camera.

The biggest constraint on this exercise was cost (we made 90 of these kits) items were purchased in large amounts and seperated. Due to the cost limitations the items were not of the "best quality" but were fully functional to use and start training with. Each complete kit cost approximately $15.00 (Can).

Container
Plastic, air-tight, yellow container, 3.5"x3.5"x1.5" size, orange reflective tape on sides, shiny aluminium tape on bottom, yellow label on lid with: name of person issued to and date, S.T.O.P Procedure and Contents List. Sealed with 2 feet of red electric tape and 2 wide elestic bands.

Fire
1- Mini Bic Butane Lighter (gas valve taped closed)
1- Pack Paper Matches (sealed in plastic)
6- Waterproof/Windproof Matches with striker (sealed in plastic)
1- Firestarter Packet (solid fuel, sealed in plastic wrapper)
1- Birthday Candle (bright colour, wrapped in aluminium foil)
3- Cotton Balls (untreated)
1- Magnifying Glass (part of 4 in 1 tool)

Signal
1- Mirror (2"x3" plastic, lanyard hole, use instructions on back)
1- Orange Flaggging Tape (6 feet long)
1- Whistle (plastic, pealess, with tie cord, part of 4 in 1 tool)

Illumination
1- LED Flashlight (small, squeeze to activate)

Navigation
1- Button Compass (part of 4 in 1 tool)

Hazard Protection
1- Insect Repellent Packet (Deep Woods OFF wipe)

Medical Group
3- Adhesive Bandages (1 medium, 2 large, Band-Aid Flex Fablic)
3- Alcohol Antiseptic Wipes (individual packets)

Miscellanous and Multi-Purpose
4- Safety Pins (4 sizes)
3- Sewing Needles (1 large/magnitized and indicated, 2 small)
1- Sewing Thread (10 feet, black colour, very strong)
3- Nails (1 Medium, 2 small)
1- Masons Cord (10 feet, 150lb strength, yellow colour)
1- Duct Tape (1 foot, wrapped around pencil, red colour)
1- Pencil (3 inches long)
3- Sheets Paper (Post-It notes, 3" x 3", yellow colour)
1- Emery Cloth (1 inch x 3 inch)
1- Coin (Quarter)
1- Thermometer (part of 4 in 1 tool)
1- Fishing Line (45 feet, 12lb mono. line)
6- Fishhooks (small to medium)
6- Fishing Sinkers (small to medium)
1- Snare Wire (20ga brass, 6 feet long)
1- Aluminum Foil (heavy duty type, 16" x 16")
1- Plastic Bag (medium size, zipper lock)
1- Hacksaw Blade (3 inch section)
1- Razor Blade (single edged, guarded)
1- Utility Blade (2.5 inch long, guarded)
1- Survival Instruction Sheet

As a seperate unit the following was elestic-banded together.

Shelter
1- Trash Bag (heavy duty, 127 litre size, orange colour)
1- Mylar Emergency Blanket (silver, in plastic packet)
1- Pack Paper Matches (in plastic packet with mylar blanket)

The kids (ages 12 to 17) were able to assemble these kits in 10 to 20 minutes (all items were prepared in advance).

I would like to include/change:
- Spark based fire-starting method (Spark-lite, Ferro Rod)
- Chemical based water purification system (Micro-pur)
- Folding Small Knife (with locking blade)
- A second quarter coin (pay phone is now 50 cents!)
- Packet of sunscreen (SPF 30+)
- Metal container instead of plastic
- Heetsheet blanket instead of mylar blanket

Unfortunately the above items would significantly add to the cost of each kit.

Any constructive comments or suggestions are most welcome as I will be teaching this basic course to a new group of kids in November and have time to change the contents before then.

Thanks,

Mike

#100490 - 07/23/07 03:22 AM Re: PSK For Youth Training [Re: SwampDonkey]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

GOOD THINKING..
looks like a quality kit an adult could use in an wilderness
survival sitution...a couple thoughts
large Bic's are easy to handle..no paper matches but more
waterproof ones..real candle--stubs work fine..no cotton balls..more flagging--a very good idea for lost kids--20 feet or
so in a "L" pattern would mark their spot for searchers..
more cord..more duct tape for making a shelter rather that
trying to lash poles..more OFF wipes..an LED with a off/on switch so they don't have to hold it all the time..water proof
paper??the trash bag is a great idea and i would have a Mylar
bag rather than a blanket...
i was beating my brains last winter trying to come up with
gear to go into PFD pockets for this springs canoe trip so
i have run over a lot of the same items and their use in my
mind several times..if your up in Canada i assume your kids
are going to be a bit "bush wise" going into this..
good luck--

#100494 - 07/23/07 03:47 AM Re: PSK For Youth Training [Re: SwampDonkey]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Nice kit! And only $15!

One little suggestion - you can replace 1x127 liters trash bag with 2x55 liter's. More versatile (IMO). For example, you can use them over your legs to protect from wet grass, mud, water, and bugs (Not sure about orange 55 liters availability though).

#100496 - 07/23/07 04:10 AM Re: PSK For Youth Training [Re: SwampDonkey]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Pretty good for $15 bucks, much better than a lot of kits out there for about five times as much. And it blows my first kit out of the water.

Where did you find the containers?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100498 - 07/23/07 05:28 AM Re: PSK For Youth Training [Re: ironraven]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
The cheapest spark based fire starting item would probably be a BSA Hot Spark. They're pretty reasonably priced at around $2.50. Of course when you're making 90 packs - that's still a lot of cash.

Bona Na Croin

#100501 - 07/23/07 07:53 AM Re: PSK For Youth Training [Re: wolf]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Great job! I am still trying to figure out how you kept it to $15. Would you mind sharing where you got the signal mirrors? I have been wanting to upgrade the mirrors in our kids' set up and haven't found one for less than about $7 which is almost half your budget.

#100503 - 07/23/07 09:39 AM Re: PSK For Youth Training [Re: aloha]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Potable Aqua chlorine dioxide tablets are a little cheaper than Katadyn's.

#100510 - 07/23/07 12:54 PM Re: PSK For Youth Training [Re: Alex]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Not sure about orange 55 liters availability though..."

If you befriend someone at CalTrans, or just go to them and tell them what you are doing, they might give you a bunch of their nice bright orange 55gal bags. Or you could adopt a highway and just "borrow" some. Of course those suckers are about ten mil thick, that makes them a little hard to squeeze into a small sized kit (this I know from experience). But being so thick, they really work for emergency shelters, etc...

#100560 - 07/23/07 08:19 PM Re: PSK For Youth Training [Re: SwampDonkey]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Goodafternoon,

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate your input and hope to be able to answer some of your questions about the item selection and low cost of the kit.

Aloha, I kept the costs of the kit down to $15.00 by 3 methods. Buying items on sale (e.g. insect repellent in the winter), buying components in bulk (e.g. big spools of brass wire from Home Depot), and buying items at the Discount Dollar Stores (e.g. LED's, containers, tape, pencils, firestarter packets, plastic bags, etc).

The mirrors in the kit are not true "one-hand signal mirrors", they were 4"x6" school locker mirrors that I bought at the Dollar Store for a buck ($1.14 after tax). I then removed the frame and cut the plastic mirror into 4 sections of 2"x3", the corners were rounded with a file, a lanyard hole was drilled and detailed instructions with a diagram were glued to the back. The kids were instructed in the field on the 2 hand use of a mirror for signaling.

Ironraven, The containers also came from the Dollar Store and were one of my best finds at $1.14 for a pack of 4! The flexible plastic container is like a shortened square with rounded edges/corners (3.5"x3.5"x1.5" = 8.5 fl. oz capacity), it has transperant sides/bottom with a bright yellow lid. It is called an "Air Tight Snap Container" made by Plastico (stock # 1000135). I had to find a suitable container first as that would have the biggest influence on the amount/size of items in the kit. I would not want a container any larger as this is maximum "Kid Pocket Size". I would prefer a metal container (for boiling water) but the only ones I could find were beyond our limited budget.

Alex, I like your idea of 2 trash bags but I wanted them to be colourful (orange) for signaling and at least one large bag to use as a poncho or in shelter building. I may be able to add a second trash bag to the "shelter unit" as it is seperate from the main container.

OBG, I did find a source for some thicker "Contractor/Industrial Grade" trash bags but they were all black colour. I wanted to keep the multi-purpose idea of the trash bags for signaling and shelter so I went with the 2ml (?) orange yardwaste bag, they were also cheaper. I am going to have to put some more thought into the shelter portion of the kit as I would prefer a tougher, larger orange trash bag and I do not care for the cheap mylar blankets.

jshannon, Thank you for the information on Potable Aqua clorine dioxide tablets, I have only seen Katadyn's in Canada so far and those I had to order from MEC in Vancouver. I will keep looking for a cheaper version. Can chlorine dioxide be abused as original Potable Aqua can be; if so I may not be allowed to put it in the youth kits?

One group I instructed banned any "weapons" from the kits so I had to remove all sharp items (razor blade, utility knife blade, hacksaw blade, I left the needles in), I had to fight to keep fire-starting tools (lighter/matches) in the kit.

Wolf, I have never been able to find a small spark-based fire-starter in Ontario like the BSA (Boy Scouts of America) Hot Spark. Even in my own mini-kits I had to hacksaw a Coghlan's Magnesium Firestarter into quarters so it would fit.

An exercise I did as a Scout Leader 20 years ago was to epoxy lighter "flints" onto a short piece of grooved hardwood dowel; this was stored in a 35mm film canister with a piece of hacksaw blade and some PJ/cotton balls as an emergency firestarter kit; the scouts liked this exercise and used them in the field.
I took this one step further last winter and cut a groove in a cylindrical, shortened, aluminum "Buffalo" whistle (taped mouthpiece) on which I glued the larger replacement flints for a welding sparker. This produces sparks well but it would be better if the flint rod was a continous 1.5" long, so the striker does not bounce at the sections.

CANOEDOGS, I like your thinking of adding more and higher quality gear to the kits, the problem is space and cost. The kits are now at maximum capacity and to add anything would mean the removal of something else or a bigger container. I am O.K. with this as long as it increases the usefulness of the kit to the survivor. I have found that many early teenaged kids have had no exposure to fire making at all (never struck a match or lit a lighter before). They find lighting a match difficult and scary, they are better with lighters (I took the childproof device of my field instruction ones) but many are still afraid. I would like to up-size the lighters but cannot afford the loss of space. Untreated cotton-balls make basic tinder but the main use is to keep the fishing sinkers from rattling, I hate that! I found an nice, mini-LED light with an on/off switch but it was 3.5x the cost, I am afraid it's over our budget.

The kids I have instructed are from 2 different backgrounds; Northern Ontario rural kids who have had a lot of outdoor experience and inner-city Southern Ontario kids who have had very little exposure. I have found both groups great to work with and enthusiastic, you just have to start with the basics and work up at speed of the students ability.

Please keep your comments coming as I am reworking the content list now; maybe I should increase the size of the container?

Thanks,

Mike

#100563 - 07/23/07 08:29 PM Re: PSK For Youth Training [Re: SwampDonkey]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Goodafternoon,
Wolf, I have never been able to find a small spark-based fire-starter in Ontario like the BSA (Boy Scouts of America) Hot Spark. Even in my own mini-kits I had to hacksaw a Coghlan's Magnesium Firestarter into quarters so it would fit.

If you search for "flint rods" on ebay you'll find a guy selling lots of 10 or 20 ferro rods (1/4" dia x 2.5" lg) I bought a lifetime supply for less than $2 each.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 396 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.