The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#92735 - 04/27/07 07:31 PM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: wildman800]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I forgot to mention in my last response I also have a small BB pistol I carry with me to its BB only and has a 15 round clip and it only shoots 400fps but it's one saving grace is that it is full auto and if you don't know its a BB gun it will scare the $#!% out of ya when I pull the trigger.

#92749 - 04/27/07 09:03 PM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
LOL! Becuase I can shoot; I throw "like a girl", no offense. It also is smaller and lighter and easier than carrying and finding a lot of rocks, and they work better on moving targets due to a higher velocity.

I've made effective body shots on squirrels further than that, but but for rabbit or woodchuck, I'd want to go for a headshot rather than lose the game. I also usually don't see the little stuff much further away than 25 feet in my area, the scrub is too thick.

Edited by ironraven (04/27/07 09:11 PM)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92751 - 04/27/07 09:09 PM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: JCWohlschlag]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I can get three pellets for my .20 into the space and mass of a .22LR, with room left over.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#92765 - 04/27/07 11:37 PM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: OldBaldGuy]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
For my own information :
Did I get it right : the differences between a BB air gun and a pellet air gun are mainly the missile itself (round steel ball vs lead pellet) and the barrel (smoothbore vs rifled barrel) ??

FYI, in France, air guns, which muzzle energy is over 10 joules, must be declared to authorities ("7ème catégorie")
Such air guns are not easy to find here.
I found an english maker, but the prices he asks for his guns ... amazing... about 1900€, without VAT.
That's in the same range as a (very) good target .22LR carbine ( i.e. Anschutz).
I guess it has to do with guns laws in GB (Bentirran ?? what's your take on this ??)

#92770 - 04/28/07 12:16 AM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: frenchy]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Right on everything except maybe the barrel. IIRC both have rifling. It's just that if the bottom of the pellet expands to the rifling it will work better. It's like the old rifled muskets with either round shot or minnie balls.

#92773 - 04/28/07 12:46 AM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: frenchy]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Whiscombe air rifle looks probably as good as it gets for air rifle technology. The JW80-FB MKII specifications and independent accuracy figures are excellent. The price of this make of air rifle $1670 is very expensive though and at the end of the day a much cheaper rifle could be had and when considering the markmenship skills most have, most people wouldn't be able to shoot any better with this expensive rifle. If fact a cheap chinese made QB78 or QB79 for around $90 would suit most. As you have pointed out the cost of the Whiscombe is similar to a Anschutz .22LR. this is not down to any firearms law restriction, this is because at the end of the day the Whiscombe air rifle is just a precision rifle in much the same way the Anschutz is.

A comparison against a tuned QB78 and an Anschutz 1808 .22LR over 25 yards can be found here ;

http://members.fortunecity.com/airgunclub/qb78index.html#test

Its not a very refined air rifle and quality varies but if you get a good one it is a bargain.

As you can see the groupings for the JW80-FB MKII they are superb up to about 50 yards then begin to get a lot poorer. This is just down to the nature of the balistics of the air rifle pellets. As can be seen at 80 yards the groupings are now about 1.5 to 2.0 inches. I would expect the Anschutz .22LR to be much more accurate over 50 yards to 120 yards. At around 150 to 180 metres the Anschultz would be all over the place. Good quality air rifles are certainly as accurate as .22 LR rifles up to around 25 to 50 yards. The differences between them would require some exceptional markmanship skills to tell them apart at the other end of the range. Discussing groupings takes me back a few years when using the old Lee Enfield .303. I used to be able to get 4 inch groupings with just the iron sights at 200 metres when I was a teenager.

Edited by bentirran (04/28/07 01:25 AM)

#92821 - 04/28/07 03:36 PM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: ]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Thanks.

#92822 - 04/28/07 04:07 PM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: Cyblade]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Cyblade
Crosman 1377 Pistol can also be fitted with a shoulder stock making it a light little carbine...

Actually, I did some accuracy studies and found the 1377 pistol was more accurate without the shoulder stock. On mine at least, the shoulder stock connection was not rock stable and it interfered with accuracy given the relatively slow travel time of the pellet out of the barrel.

#92826 - 04/28/07 04:24 PM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: OldBaldGuy]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
For critter gathering I would prefer a .22 cal, and a "pump" action would be better...

I don't care for pump action airguns (unless it is a single-stroke pump-action), because the point of aim will vary depending on the number of pumps you put into the shot. At least with single-stroke guns, like the Gamo Compact single-stroke target pistol (which is more accurate than many air-rifles I've tested), you have a "calibrated" power level that doesn't affect point of aim.

Here's a link to the Gamo Compact air pistol.

Gamo Compact Air Pistol

This is absolutely the most accurate airpistol I have ever tested. It is not extremely powerful (400 fps in .177 cal), but it truly is capable of pinpoint accuracy. It has an excellent adjustable target trigger which is very important in obtaining top accuracy.
I see they are about $225 now. I bought mine several years ago at a Turners Outdoorsman store in Pasadena for a little over $100. Amazing airgun for the money.

Edited by sotto (04/28/07 04:26 PM)

#92890 - 04/29/07 05:17 AM Re: Pellet gun in BOB [Re: sotto]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hate to be a fly in the ointment, but I'll bet that if I spend 10% of the cost of a good airgun on classic wooden mouse traps and rat traps, I'll eat pretty well and you'll be pretty lean. That doesn't mean high-velocity airguns and .22s are out of place -- love 'em both. But I think most of the easy calories in most environments move around at night, and unless you stay up all night with a starlight scope, they will zip right through your camp without so much as a wave. (That's my take anyway.)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.