Revising and updating your EDC

Posted by: teacher

Revising and updating your EDC - 01/19/20 10:25 PM

How often do you re-think, re-plan and re-packac your kits?
I'm updating mine, creating one for the office and replacing out of date meds.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 01/22/20 11:34 AM

The main emergency kits in each car are disassembled, inventoried, and reassembled three times per year. Each component is checked and maintained or replaced as needed. Either one of these two kits are designed as the core for a bug out or bug in situation, with a pair of “wife portable” plastic bins in the garage providing additional time and capability, with components that for the most part aren’t subject to expiration.

For EDC, I have a laptop bag that goes with me when I’m working, and a (lighter) hydration pack for outdoor activities. Things in my laptop bag are constantly being used and replaced as needed; generally I check through the hydration pack and the gear I keep in it at the beginning of each Spring.

With on-body carry I’ve settled on what works best for me, swapping out my EDC pen between “work” and “not work” and occasionally testing out a new flashlight.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/13/20 01:33 PM

I injured my back Friday doing yard work. Sunday, after getting out of the hot tub, I could not get up. I needed a cane to get up and walk. For now, I have a folding walking cane in my EDC bag.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/13/20 02:50 PM

Having suffered through innumerable back injuries, you have my sympathy. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/14/20 04:09 PM

It's been a week. I'm at the point where I can move around. I felt better as I went out to get my hair and nails done.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/15/20 03:01 AM

I'm glad you're on the mend, Jeanette_Isabelle! Pack trouble is no fun at all!
Posted by: Janysboy

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/15/20 09:21 PM

I've been looking for a way to carry a small piece of ductape on my person as part of my EDC. So far, no luck. Anyone know of a source? I've checked my local Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, and Target. No luck.

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/15/20 09:32 PM

How small are you looking for?

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Acropolis50

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/15/20 09:54 PM

My method to EDC duct tape ( or for me Gorilla tape) is to wrap it around a ,cut to size, piece of clear plastic report cover. U can purchase plastic report covers at ant office supply store or over the internet.

I’ve created such rolls as small as 4”” ( thus holding 8” of tape), all the way up to 25’. I regularly EDC a 48” roll attached to a plastic wrapped,XL, yellow, cotton, hot ironed bandana. This gives me a handy multi use flat bandage, chest seal, smoke mask, signal flag or tourniquet( adding a pen as a windlass), etc.

Alternatively, ,u could just fold it over on itself. But when opened, the effectiveness of the adhesive is reduced.
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/16/20 12:38 AM

I wrap several feet of gorilla tape around an expired ID or credit card or similar piece of plastic, like an ID card holder, and keep that in my backpack. It seems to be just as sticky when needed.

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/16/20 12:53 PM

I was looking for something to carry in my wslle

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/16/20 01:55 PM

Wslle? Is that a typo or a product I'm unfamiliar with?

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/16/20 09:46 PM

Sorry, that's wallet. And I've figured a way to keep the duct tape.

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/17/20 10:59 PM

SOL sells tiny rolls, you can also wrap a bit around a pencil.

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/20/20 09:18 PM

I posted a while back mixing purel hand sanitizer with petroleum jelly as a fire starter. Finally got to try it. 1cc of the gel on a cotton pad burned for 2 minutes.
Posted by: LCranston

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 02/21/20 02:10 PM

I used an empty plastic gift card, and wrapped the long way. It takes up less space in my winter coat.

I dont carry that much, only a few feet.

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 04/01/20 04:45 PM

Well, now carrying ( and using) gloves and getting a face mask.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 04/01/20 05:33 PM

Purell hand sanitizer works quite well as fuel in an alcohol stove - handy multipurpose item.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 04/03/20 01:31 PM

BCB International here in the UK, produce an alcohol gel fuel, Fire Dragon, which also can be used a hand sanitiser.

https://www.firedragonfuel.com/
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 04/05/20 06:55 PM

Best choice , and cheapest, is to find any expired plastic card and wrap a few feet of duct tape around it. You can control how 'fat' the card will become by how many inches/feet you wrap around it.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 04/06/20 01:30 PM

I have been putting a layer of duct or electricians tape on the side of my altoid box storage tins, knife handles, and nalgene bottles. sometimes I tuck a sewing needle or saw blade underneath it.

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 07/26/21 10:35 PM

Ordered new water filters for kits

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 08/14/21 11:29 PM

Now carrying extra fob batteries in the car,

Re: Revising and updating your EDC- Best flat roll - 08/15/21 06:23 AM

I’ve found that the most compact way to carry a flat roll of 2” Gorilla Tape is to use clear plastic report cover. Purchase it at Staples or equivalent. Cut a strip 2 1/8” x ( length of roll desired. Strart by affixing tape completely on length of one side . Continue rolling thereafter until the desired length is achieved, being careful to layer straight, one row on top of another. Finish in the middle of a length and fold over a 1/4 “ or 1 2” lip to begin unfolding when desired.

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 08/15/21 07:05 AM

I carry 12” of 2” Gorilla tape rolled around my medium size Bison pill fob , attached to my key chain. Gives me sealing tape, emergency wound closure and makeshift first-aid for sucking chest wound. The fob is filled with 4 chewable 81mg. baby aspirin tabs, 4 tiny, Jet Alert caffeine tablets, 2 generic Benadryl tabs, 2-4 generic pseudoephedrine tablets and 3 generic ibuprofen tabs. Gives me basic heart attack first-aid, basic anaphylactic treatment/sleep aid, sinus attack meds, pain/ inflammation relief and taking the caffine & pseudo together gives a legal energy boost according to Cody Lundin. I wish the capsule were just a bit bigger, so I could add 2000mg. of genericTylenol. Recent reports I’ve read state that 2 Advil, 1000mg. of Tylenol and 65mg. of Caffine have the pain killing effect of a mild narcotic. NOTE: NONE OF THE ABOVE IS INTENDED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. I’M JUST REPORTING WHAT I’VE READ AND UNDERSTOOD. ALWAYS CHECK USE OF ALL MEDICINES WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE USE.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 08/17/21 05:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Acropolis50
Recent reports I’ve read state that 2 Advil, 1000mg. of Tylenol and 65mg. of Caffeine have the pain killing effect of a mild narcotic.

There have been a number of studies over the years that show Caffeine and Acetaminophen (Tylenol) combined is more effective at pain management than any of the common OTC pain relievers and could be used in place of narcotics in some circumstances.

Mixing Caffeine, Acetaminophen and Aspirin has been around for a LONG time, Excedrin for example, that works well on headaches especially migraines.

Recently a study came out that shows Acetaminophen (600mg), Ibuprofen (400mg) and Caffeine (15mg) work well in managing pain post molar removal, but the study didn't compare it directly to any narcotic pain medications.

In other countries you can buy Acetaminophen (325mg), Ibuprofen (200mg) and Caffeine (40mg) combined OTC and the FDA in the US just approved Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen mix OTC.

If there is a study that show Acetaminophen/Ibuprofen/Caffeine to be as effective as Narcotics I haven't been able to find one. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that they work well and appears to be safe as long as you can tolerate them individually... Follow the recommended doses/timing of each of them individually.

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 08/18/21 05:38 AM

Alan: My cousin the (IMO very learned) Oral Surgeon, some time back, told me of a blurb from a medical journal she had read, discussing the effectiveness of the Tylenol,Advil/ caffeine mix, in the dosages I described. It was in the context of post oral surgery pain relief . She said the article said that mixture worked as well, in early ( anecdotal) reports, as the mild narcotics or Motrin, often prescribed for such post surgical pain She also mentioned that she had tried it herself, as had some family members and found it worked as effectively as stated. But if you took my use of the word “ reports” to mean formal studies, then no, I haven’t read any to the that effect.. However, adding to the anecdotal evidence, the combo has worked for both my wife and me, after dental l surgery.

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 08/22/21 02:52 AM

Good tip - this blend is esp. useful for migraines.
Will add to kit.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Revising and updating your EDC - 09/09/21 11:13 PM

We have brands like Panadol Extra (Paracetamol 500mg & Caffeine 65mg) in the UK as over the counter drugs.

Anadin Extra brand combines Aspirin 300mg, Paracetamol 200mg & Caffeine 45mg

Codeine, Paracetamol & Caffeine is another common combination.

Whilst Ibuprofen is over the counter, not aware of a combined tablet, at least a well known brand over here.