Long Rain Coat

Posted by: Craig_Thompson

Long Rain Coat - 01/26/19 01:11 PM

For many years now a shell has been my primary jacket, year round. It is with me nearly every day, either being worn or just in the car with me in case it is needed. When it is cold if I will be outside for any length of time I will put something warmer on, either under the shell or by itself.

When it is raining the shell protects the upper body but my legs get wet. A few days ago I found my ooooold London Fog rain coat, a trench coat I suppose, in the closet. I wore it to work this week in the rain and gained a new appreciation for the design.

I have not noticed many people wearing trench coats but a quick search shows quite a few available, from reasonable to high priced.

My first thoughts is to look for a more outdoor oriented long coat. That I have not seen. Do any of you folk know of any such long coats?

A more dressy coat is ok as long as it is rugged and not too crazy expensive.

And a removable liner for warmth is helpful as well.

Not really a hard core prep item but something that could be very useful.

As always, any thoughts and input is most appreciated.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Long Rain Coat - 01/26/19 02:18 PM

I took two different approaches for a rain coat.
As a low bulk and low weight solution I have a surplus poncho. It is a little too loud for hunting but otherwise satisfying. As an overcoat it allows me to keep my stuff in the pockets of my regular clothing and dress for the temperature. It also helps to keep the hand dry and warm (just do not stick them out).
I also have an oilskin riding coat as standalone solution. It is long and easy to maintain. It is rugged and has a fairly distinct style going well with my Akubra hats.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Long Rain Coat - 01/29/19 06:10 PM

I have a Barbour Stockman long wax coat. Must be nearing 20 years old.. showing it's age but still functional, though could do with re waxing. But is bombproof.

Driza Bone is another brand from Australia, that make oilskin riding coats.

Posted by: Craig_Thompson

Re: Long Rain Coat - 02/04/19 07:33 PM

Thanks for this info. I am quite intrigued with the riding coat design.

Is oilskin and wax coat (waxed fabric?) the same thing?

I presume those fabrics are not very breathable compared to modern fabrics?

In the summer heat would an oilskin riding coat tend to be hot and trap moisture inside?
Posted by: Ren

Re: Long Rain Coat - 02/05/19 01:50 PM

Oilskin is lighter, slightly less waterproof. Waxed is heavier, less flexible, due to wax impregnation.

I would never wear it in the Summer, unless there is a storm.
Posted by: Taurus

Re: Long Rain Coat - 02/05/19 06:07 PM

I hate having wet legs as well. Bought a nice pair of ultralight rain pants that tuck neatly in the pocket of my rain coat. Barely notice them till I needs them. Picked up a bottle of washer treatment to keep it all nice and waterproof.

I tried the oil skin. Not for me. No matter how much you treat it eventually water soaks thru and once it does you have a smelly, greasy jacket that weighs 50 pounds. I remember getting mine wet and it took about a week to finally get it dry again. Good for a light to moderate sprinkle but not an intense prolonged downpour.

I am a huge fan of things old fashioned, but not regarding rain gear.
Posted by: Cauldronborn2

Re: Long Rain Coat - 02/05/19 10:32 PM

How about this?

https://www.macinasac.com/products/mac-in-a-sac-travel-unisex-waterproof-packable-raincoat
Posted by: Hanscom

Re: Long Rain Coat - 02/18/19 05:22 PM

I also use a shell jacket year round adding insulating layers as needed.

What I bought years ago was a set of rain chaps. Two separate legs, each fastens to your belt. Significantly more compact than rain pants when folded up.

Since they are not overpants they do not block access to pockets.