10 essentials...for the city?

Posted by: TeacherRO

10 essentials...for the city? - 06/29/18 09:00 PM

What are the 10 essentials for the city?
How do they differ from the wilderness 10?
Posted by: Russ

Re: 10 essentials...for the city? - 06/30/18 03:52 AM

Haven’t we discussed this... maybe not.

Off the top of my head:
1. appropriate outerwear for the conditions,
2. Shoes which are good for walking distance and protecting your feet (not beach flops/shower shoes)
3. an umbrella
4. Cash - Minimum would be enough for a few meals and a taxi/Uber ride home — in my case >$100.
5. In the great desert Southwest, a car/truck with a multi-day survival kit in the trunk. (Back east I’d have gone with my bicycle but the commute here is 10x what it was there.)
6. A sharp instrument for cutting, quality knife/serious scissors (non-locking folder in NYC and other urban areas). Urban - think SAK or LM. I EDC an SAK, a locking folder and folding scissors - different tools for different needs.
7. Flashlight, AA or AAA, LED,various outputs for different situations. I EDC a 1xAAA.
8. Cellphone (smartphone or otherwise). I’m transitioning back to a basic flip-phone, it’s all I need and I can have a spare battery. People these days are so proud they can buy coffee with their smartphone wink

I’ll reserve 9 & 10
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: 10 essentials...for the city? - 06/30/18 08:06 AM

My list (ordered randomly):

1. Sidearm
2. Spare magazine
3. Flashlight (generally I tote a Malkoff MDC)
4. Cell phone
5. Cash (my habit is to keep a couple hundred bucks)
6. Keys
7. Vehicle (so keys)
8. Spare battery
9. Extra clothing layer (in car)
10. Map of the area

Re: 10 essentials...for the city? - 06/30/18 08:11 AM

I'll note that never before has my smartphone been as essential to my daily life as it is now. Recently I moved 1,200 miles to a city I'm not at all familiar with so Google Maps has been a godsend. Obviously I don't have to explain the limitations of technology but 99.5% of the time it's useful.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: 10 essentials...for the city? - 06/30/18 11:39 AM

The following is not intended to be an essentials list. Rather, this is based on my experiences of living in Dallas.

Whistle
First aid kit - even something as simple as an AMK Ultralight .3 and a pair of scissors is helpful.
Medications - Rx and OTC beyond what you have in your FAK.
Water - have at least a bottle on your person. If you drive, keep a case of bottled water in your trunk.
Keep some food items on your person.
Kleenex pocket pack
Hand wipes or hand sanitizer - even in the city there are places where there is no running water such as at the porta potty or at the house of a friend who forgot to pay the water bill again.
Lip balm and sunscreen
Flashlight
Your tool of choice - if you're driving, have every tool in your car that it needs.
Wallet and cell phone
Bus schedules

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: 10 essentials...for the city? - 06/30/18 02:04 PM

There are things I carry that don’t even cross my mind for a list like this but there they are; my 9 & 10 are keys and sunglasses.

Back east my list would be different. For one I’d have a Metro-card or two and my briefcase carried a lot of stuff. I could date myself by saying I had a Gerber Guardian clipped inside my briefcase and none of the security guards gave it a second glance; they didn’t care about something so benign. I don’t carry that briefcase any more, but the Gerber Guardian is inside.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: 10 essentials...for the city? - 06/30/18 08:21 PM

A lot depends on whether you are at home, or at least in familiar territory, or in a totally unfamiliar setting. Always a good idea to have cash/credit cards and good ID, especially when away....

Re: 10 essentials...for the city? - 06/30/18 09:22 PM

Interesting... I carry a small zipper pouch when out on my neighborhood walks. Besides the folder and flip-phone I carry when out walking, the pouch gives me cash and ID. I don’t carry credit/debit cards.

Re: 10 essentials...for the city? - 07/01/18 09:15 AM

Oops, forgot to mention the sunglasses! I'm never without mine (a necessity for us blue-eyed types).

Re: 10 essentials...for the city? - 07/01/18 06:08 PM

It depends somewhat on where you live, but in the desert Southwest, carrying water might be in order. Just back from my morning walk; if I’d walked any further, or if the temps had been higher (ie, in a couple hours), I’d have needed water during the walk rather than now, after the walk.

If necessary I could have fixed this by using another of my essentials and just bought a couple quarts at the supermarket I passed, fortunately, that wasn’t needed.

11. Water.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: 10 essentials...for the city? - 07/07/18 03:43 AM

Below is listed my actual NY-NJ Metro EDC pocket/ person carry:

Clothing & shoes appropriate to the weather, inc. spare light polypropylene liner socks if I carry/ wear a jacket. Jacket for warmth has gloves, hat & scarf. It’s usually a Gortex shell and varied fleece liners , as appropriate. Umbrella as needed. I like The Unbreakable Umbrella because it’s big & tough and I’m less likely to forget it when moving from place to place.

LM XE-6 ( except where prohibited);

Occasionally, when & where lawful, pepper spray;

Keychain with keys, car fob , Utilikey, P-38, Bison med. cyclinder whistle, Fenix EO5.( lithium battery), Photon hooded Freedom button light (yellow bulb) mounted backwards in its holder ( prevents accidental on), Bison med. pill cyclinder wrapped in 24” of Gorilla Tape ( 4 ibuprophen,4 decongestants[ephedrine], 2 caffeine tablets & 4 81mg. chewable aspirin );

Browning pen with carbide tip (car side window breaker) ink pen & flashlight;

Mini Bic lighter (yellow, so I can see contents and find it when if I drop it) , taped under lever to prevent leak;

27”x27” yellow bandana;

IPhone with 150% Mophie battery/case [ downloaded SAS survival mannual, first-aid mannual, useful urban app.s ]

Front pocket wallet (contents: 2 credit cards, license, other ID, medical insurance cards, Medic Alert ID; flat magnifier, Fingertip bandaids, alcohol prep pad, dental floss, & 4, cut down yellow sticky sheets, minimum $500 in $1,$20 & $100 bills [ cash saves ur life in a mugging, buys the unavailable ride, gas or hotel room in a storm, etc.]

HOT, dry ironed ( asceptic) 27”x27” yellow bandana sealed in Sterile Gerber Breastmilk Gag, edges reinforced with Gorilla Tape [ This “kit” gives me a trauma bandage, duct mask, signal flag, sling, hobo carrier, chest- seal bandage, etc. carried against my wallet makes me highly pickpocket resistant. ]; and most but not all the time a ;

Backpack briefcase or Urban GHB, the contents of which I’ve posted before on this forum.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: 10 essentials...for the city? - 07/18/18 06:59 PM

Lately its been an water bottle and either a rain jacket or umbrella