Transport Canada to relax knife blade ban

Posted by: Roarmeister

Transport Canada to relax knife blade ban - 11/10/17 12:19 AM

To harmonize with international standards Canada has announced revisions to banned objects on flights. No mention of whether the US plans to follow suit.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3852229/transport-canada-flights-knives-allowed/

Transport Canada says knife blades up to six centimetres (2.3") — about the size of a large paper clip — will be allowed on domestc and most international flights. Blades of any length will continue to be banned on U.S. flights while razor blades and box cutters of any size will remain prohibited on all flights. Another change will prohibit certain powders and granular material with a volume of 350 millilitres — the size of a soda can — or more.")
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Transport Canada to relax knife blade ban - 11/10/17 02:05 AM

I've been hoping for a rational rebalancing of the rules -- even if it meant a pouch that went on the "excess carry on" cart that most domestic flights now have, and which is inaccessible to passengers during the flight.

Things that go "boom" take down aircraft; clearly, the new rules relect this. Any fool that tries to take control of an aircraft post-9/11 with a SAK will need to be vacuumed out of the carpet -- passengers will not sit quietly. And in practical terms, I'm pretty sure security will have a fair amount of discretion based on behaviour and other indicators.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Transport Canada to relax knife blade ban - 11/10/17 05:52 PM

Well the airlines finally have secured the cockpits. They were warned about the problem way before 9/11 but refused to secure them.

But yes, think passengers have realised the reality of the situation if their plane is hijacked.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Transport Canada to relax knife blade ban - 11/11/17 05:38 AM

The U.S. FAA attempted to put some reality into carry-on rules several years ago with a similar size. The Houses of Congress and others that have little contact with reality pitched three kinds of fit.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Transport Canada to relax knife blade ban - 03/26/18 11:52 PM

I'm just back from a domestic flight. I took a worn-down Imperial Barlow knife with my carry-on (paid $4 for it years ago). Blade length, including the choil, was under 6cm.

Naturally, I declared it at security -- all above-board, nothing hidden. A major airport let it through, no concerns.

However, a regional airport interpreted the new policy differently, and measured it from the pivot (like they do with scissors). So, it was 0.5cm over the limit. I was nice as pie, and surrendered it. At least I know what the hard limits are now.

Anyway, I thought some of you might like to know. BTW, box cutters and credit card knives of any length are still banned. They also grill you about US connecting flights (total ban on sharps remains in effect).
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Transport Canada to relax knife blade ban - 04/02/18 04:30 PM

The 59mm Mora Edris seems made for this:

https://morakniv.se/en/product/eldris/

qjs