Changing your EDC kit --

Posted by: TeacherRO

Changing your EDC kit -- - 06/07/17 07:19 PM

How often do you look over your kit and remove or upgrade items?
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 06/07/17 07:29 PM

Before any significant trip, beyond just around town. Home kits are usually done at least twice a year, but also before any threatening weather events. Also, when I find a new and better piece of kit than what I had.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 06/07/17 10:26 PM

It tends to be a work in progress. As pieces break, wear out, or are lost, they're replaced with upgrades. I'll occasionally buy a piece for a specific occasion as needed, but I don't buy it till I think I'm going to need it.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 06/07/17 10:33 PM

It tends to be a work in progress. As pieces break, wear out, or are lost, they're replaced with upgrades. I'll occasionally buy a piece for a specific occasion as needed, but I don't buy it till I think I'm going to need it.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 06/08/17 02:06 PM

Not very often;
My light has been hanging on my belt for 9 years, the SAK 13 years. Did replace the belt sheath, worn those out...

Watch is a Frankenstein of parts from the same model of watch I bought three times and replaced bits and pieces of them to get a working one. First one was bought 11 years ago.

Wallet does need replacing, have some repairs on it and still have some extra pockets it shouldn't have. I hate shopping for a new one...

Replaced phone almost 16 months ago, after the previous one really started to be an issue after 5.5 years of service with 2 worn out belt sheaths and a replacement battery.

Might need to replace the patch kit for a bike (ride my bike to work, supermarket, etc). Haven't used it since I upgrade to puncture resistant tires.

Pens, tissues, plasters, etc. Those things just get used/lost and replaced.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 07/24/17 09:10 PM

Unpacked my car kit to remove some redundancy. Re-considering adding exam gloves.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 07/24/17 10:09 PM

Some day you will be giving first aid to a perfect stranger. You will be glad you have exam gloves...

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/25/17 06:28 PM

considering adding a jacket or umbrella...
Posted by: Russ

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/25/17 11:56 PM

What are thoughts here regarding neck carry?

I'm currently working on a neck carry option. I've decided to go with mostly titanium or Delrin for the trinkets (all of which are from CountyComm.com). Ti and Delrin are lightweight and stable. Ti is my first choice, but Delrin is lighter in weight.

I'm starting with 24" of 550 paracord sheath to which I've attached a gate clip. The clip makes it easy to add/remove individual items while leaving the items not in use. The SS clip there now appears non magnetic. It doesn't effect the compass, but to be safe, I've ordered a Ti gate clip.

So far I have Titanium compass, whistle, Split Pea lighter and pico pull storage capsule. I also have the compass and pico pull in Delrin (plastic) and may go that way to save a little weight. The pico pull may go away entirely if there's nothing to put in it... or just leave it empty as a place to put "stuff" later. I don't need any daily meds/drugs -- maybe an aspirin or three for that heart attack thing... or just leave it off for now, add it later as needed.

There is a 1xAAA Ti flashlight I use for EDC at times, but as light as it is empty, add a battery and it may not be light enough. Odds are against the light being part of the neck carry assembly, but that could change.

Normally I hate strongly dislike carrying anything around my neck, but I'm giving it another try. It's a work in progress.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/26/17 03:11 AM

Add house and car keys and I have practically the same assemblage, but it goes into my pocket. I don't care to have that much around my neck.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/26/17 01:42 PM

I don't like a lot of stuff on my keyring. It's very possible I will end up with a neck carry that I'll wear infrequently rather than EDC. But it's something that I could wear whenever required and because of the gate latch, everything can be removed as not needed. I can wear the compass by itself without a problem and that's the primary item.

I may add the other items on a split ring, so I can take the ring off and drop it into my pocket -- modular. That concept would allow me to up the size of some items (standard Ti Peanut lighter and larger capsule) with the idea of putting it on quickly and then moving some items to my pocket later. Being modular it can stay a work in progress.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/26/17 06:04 PM

Pockets have so much room.
If I need more, I'll add a shoulder or belt bag.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/26/17 09:45 PM

I agree, pocket carry is the way to go for EDC, but it's nice to have other options. On the subject of changing your EDC should also be rethinking of how you carry. My work in process is just a way of rethinking.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/27/17 02:21 AM

mine has pretty much standardized after a couple of years..I have a couple of 2x2 non adherent pads and a blood stopper gauze that fits in my Maxpedition wallet, large bandana, a Benchmade Axis folder and extra mag for the G43 in my left front, and on a belt key clip... keys, Fenix E05, P38, brass whistle, and pill fob with a couple aspirin and advil... G43 when I leave the house

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/28/17 01:54 PM

My EDC necessarily shifts depending what I'm wearing. My typical summer wear is shorts and a tee-shirt which is actually not bad due to 6 pocket shorts. However, if I'm wearing jeans the pockets are fewer and tighter. Hence, I'm considering neck carry.

In cooler times of year, big pockets are not an issue.
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/28/17 02:17 PM

For years I carried a 2-cell or 3-cell D MAG-LITE in my bag. To save weight, I switched to a mini MAG-LITE. I did not like it and so I did not carry it. Saturday night, Mom and I were walking back to the car from the community center. I did not have a flashlight. I miss my D-cell MAG-LITE. I like the way it feels in my hand as I carry it. I got to have my D-cell MAG-LITE. I put one of my 2-cell D flashlights back in my bag.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/28/17 05:03 PM

My lighting EDC, especially when I am out in the woods, is some sort of headlamp. They can be carried in the hand, as well as worn on the head, and they are often better deployed in that manner. I prefer something using AA, or increasingly, 18650 batteries. Current lights often offer variable light levels, so you can count of long run times with reasonable illumination, or really bright light for short periods.

I have used D-cell Maglites in the past. They were good items in their time, virtually the first quality flashlights.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/28/17 08:22 PM

I attempted to standardize my LED lanterns, weather radio, and task lights to NiMH re chargable AA cells (Eneloop) after the 2004 hurricane season...I still have the 2D LED MagLights in the house and car for their for their long run time, but way to heavy for EDC...my keychain light is a Fenix E05 three level AAA Eneloop powered, and I slip a Solar Force Z2 into my pocket for storm season... and typically a Solar Force L2 18650 in the pocket of my GoreTex jacket

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/28/17 08:36 PM

I know there are lights significantly lighter; I got to have my D-cell MAG-LITE.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/29/17 05:56 AM

My normal EDC has evolved over time, but two of the most used items I've been carrying are the humble tweezers and a pair of nitrile gloves so they've become permanent additions.

I've carried different flashlights, knives, etc over the years but lately have settled in I think. Sometimes I go light, other days heavy, but always have the same basics covered.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/29/17 06:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I know there are lights significantly lighter; I got to have my D-cell MAG-LITE.

Jeanette Isabelle

Do you at least carry the LED version? I am happy to leave my Mag-lites in the past but they are large and solid in a way that inspires confidence in them. Back in the 80's many an unruly perp had their attitudes adjusted by a Mag-lite swung by a cop. grin
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/29/17 07:51 AM

Less weight is not always an advantage. The D cell Maglite can also act as a tool for SD or for entry as the flashlight can smash car windows without taking damage.
LEOs do not tend to ask whether you really need such a heavy flashlight. That may not be the case for bats or clubs.
I converted my D cell flashlights to LED when their bulbs got too dark. The LED works fine with regchargeables.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 08/29/17 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Do you at least carry the LED version?

The oldest was converted to LED; the other two are LED.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 09/01/17 01:45 PM

I ordered a 2-Cell C MAG-LITE. I will test drive that as an EDC flashlight.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 09/01/17 10:26 PM

C-cells are a bit cheaper and a little easier to find vs D-cells, so that's a plus. I had a C-cell Mag and it was a good light for the day. I expect that an LED version would have pretty good run time as a C-battery has quite a bit of capacity vs an AA or CR123A.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 09/05/17 09:09 PM

My C-Cell MAG-LITE arrived. The C-Cell MAG-LITE feels right in my hand, like the D-Cell. The purpose of using a C-Cell as my EDC light is to save on weight. Though there is a noticeable difference in size, it feels like the two flashlights weigh the same.

I don't think we have a scale to weigh them.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 09/05/17 10:02 PM

I know what you mean about a Maglite feel -- very substantial. I can't get that from the 1xAA or 1xAAA LED light clipped in my front pocket. OTOH it's tough to clip a Maglite in your front pocket.

Is your Maglite 2xC incandescent or LED? If it's an incandescent, consider upgrading to LED bulbs. Regulated LED drop in replacements are available.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 09/06/17 07:44 PM

In the back of my mind, I knew we had a scale somewhere; I couldn't place it. I found it. The C-Cell MAG-LIGHT weighs a fraction under a pound. The D-Cell MAG-LITE weighs just under 1 1/4 lbs. By switching to the C-Cell, I saved four ounces. Whoopee.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 09/25/17 07:16 PM

Switching over to Fall preps

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 09/25/17 07:32 PM

I don't have a Fall season

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 09/25/17 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I don't have a Fall season

"I'm dreaming of a Tex Autumn, just like the ones I used to know."

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 10/05/17 04:56 PM

Added snacks and water to my car Edc.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 10/05/17 05:42 PM

My EDC kit hasn’t changed much at all (pocket carry), but I have changed the kit in my truck. Until recently I had a Camelbak Rim Runner loaded up as part of the truck kit. A lot of the stuff in that bag was to be used as part of the truck kit so that the bag would be lighter if needed as a GHB. Fast forward to now, and the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon has taken the role of GHB; it has less volume than the Camelbak, but that volume sits closer to my back which helps with balance — it carries better.

I moved essentials into that bag and the other stuff in the bag has been put into other containers already in the truck. The truck now has a much better overall kit, and the backpack needs no final adjustment, grab it and go.

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 10/06/17 07:59 PM

- good point. I'll add a backpack to the truck kit...

Re: Changing your EDC kit -- - 10/07/17 01:51 AM

A backpack and walking shoes go a long way to handling many unexpected car problems.