Use of an electric car for emergency power

Posted by: bws48

Use of an electric car for emergency power - 04/11/17 04:41 PM

Probably a relatively narrow topic given the still low representation of battery electric vehicles in the market, but I came across this video of what a YouTuber (no affiliation) did in a recent power outage in the Pacific Northwest (USA) to help power her house (in part) and keep her channel up. Interested to hear what everyone thinks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADqk4IjzjXs&t=0s
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Use of an electric car for emergency power - 04/11/17 07:34 PM

Interesting topic. One wonders how long before EV manufacturers offer a quality AC inverter and outlet built in as standard equipment.

I was interested in the comments provided along with the video, especially one inquiring about the suitability of a hybrid Prius for emergency power - it evidently is feasible.

My projected requirements for a power outage are fairly minimal - cell phone and lighting. I will keep the fridge closed and eat the ice cream before it melts. Between a couple of solar panels and a small inverter in the car, I should be set. For hot meals, we will haul out the camping gear and fire up the propane stoves, as well as the fireplace,if necessary.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Use of an electric car for emergency power - 04/12/17 03:59 AM

There are suprisingly a large amount of people living in there prius. Apparently you can put key in accesory mode and it the AC and powerports will be active, with the engine occasionally turning on to charge the batteries.