Which tools?

Posted by: benjammin

Which tools? - 12/16/13 08:37 AM

My thoughts were what tools were essential for an urban pack?

A Leatherman type multi-tool

A 4" crescent wrench

A mini vise grip plier

A multi bit small driver set

A pry bar

A hacksaw blade

That's the short list. What else would be smart in a small pack in town? Please limit it to tools and not more generic items like flashlights and bic lighters. No consumables like wire ties or plastic bags. Just tools.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Which tools? - 12/16/13 10:05 AM

For which purpose?
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Which tools? - 12/16/13 02:06 PM

silcock wrench - for opening water faucets that don't have handles.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Which tools? - 12/16/13 04:00 PM

I guess it would depend on your occupation or your typical life situations. Personally, I have never found myself wanting for any of those things in my daily carry. I used to carry a Leatherman (Wave) for a while, but found I rarely used it and it was too heavy and bulky to carry around all the time. It has now been relegated to my carry bag, which is something I usually have handy (in the car) but not on my person.

Maybe it is because I am totally inept with tools that I don't find I need them on my person!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Which tools? - 12/16/13 04:53 PM

I am not dressed until I put my Wave on my belt,along with a 4" crescent riding in the side slot. If I am out on my bike, I also take along a set of metric Allen wrenches - a lot depends upon what gear you will be fiddling with.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Which tools? - 12/16/13 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
My thoughts were what tools were essential for an urban pack?

A Leatherman type multi-tool

A 4" crescent wrench

A mini vise grip plier

A multi bit small driver set

A pry bar

A hacksaw blade

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
silcock wrench

For me, the Leatherman Surge keeps me from needing a hacksaw blade. Leatherman bit kits in the sheath with the Leatherman solves that issue. I really like the Leatherman bit extender -- it makes the bits easier to use and works with the Leatherman bits or standard screwdriver bits.

A small pry bar can be very effective and light; I'm partial to the Pocket Widgy.

A second, smaller multitool (like an LM Squirt PS4) can allow you to do a few things that require two pairs of pliers.

The one thing on my list that wasn't on yours is a dedicated folding knife.

Vise grips and crescent wrenches are relatively heavy, while many of their functions can be simulated with the Leatherman's pliers. They'd be high on my list of additional hand tools to bring with me in a bag of tools but a bit too heavy for EDC, for me.

For me, the silcock wrench / key is a head-scratcher -- I've never met a silcock I couldn't open with a multitool.

Re: Which tools? - 12/16/13 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
If I am out on my bike, I also take along a set of metric Allen wrenches - a lot depends upon what gear you will be fiddling with.

I keep bike-specific tools in an under-seat bag. I don't park my bike unattended anywhere outside of my garage, so that wouldn't work for many.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Which tools? - 12/16/13 05:53 PM

A wirecutter though the SOG multi tool is as goood.

A full size pry bar would be very useful. Nothing is going to keep you in! But how to carry one? Do they make titanium ones anywhere. Or do the mini ones actually work?

qjs
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Which tools? - 12/16/13 08:07 PM

EMT shears for when you just have to cut a penny in two.

Re: Which tools? - 12/16/13 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
A wirecutter though the SOG multi tool is as goood.

The wirecutters on LM multis are good, especially the ones with the replaceable cutting edges.

Quote:
A full size pry bar would be very useful. Nothing is going to keep you in! But how to carry one? Do they make titanium ones anywhere. Or do the mini ones actually work?

A mini prybar works for small jobs. Sometimes you can turn a large job into a bunch of smaller jobs, trading tool size for time and effort, especially if you have something else to hold open what you've already pried. Titanium pry bars are available, and they're pretty darn expensive. I've never pulled the trigger on one.
Posted by: LeeG

Re: Which tools? - 12/17/13 02:58 AM

I started carrying a pair of these a while back, and they are much better than a crescent wrench.

Knipex pliers wrench. Will not mar a bolt or nut, adjustable, and more griping power than a normal slip-joint pliers. Somewhat pricy, but very handy. They have become my go to gripping tool.

Re: Which tools? - 12/17/13 04:38 AM

Looks very nice, but spendy.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Which tools? - 12/17/13 05:05 AM

Here is the urban tool pack kit I am building up. Still needs a few things but I am also trying to keep the weight down to 4 lbs (currently 3 lbs) and what will fit in the bag. The purpose of this bag is not a stay at home bag, rather a bag that is kept in the truck and separate from any other tools or kit/gear that we may or may not have with us at any given time.

I did not notice the OP's request of no flashlights until after I took the pics...sorry.

I know that the needle nose and slip joint pliers could be considered redundant, especially that we both have Leatherman multi-tools. But choice is good sometimes and having a dedicated set of each pliers can be helpful.
The sockets in the top left range in size from 5/32 to 1/2".
Crescent wrench is 4-2/4"
Slip joint pliers are 6"
Mini-hammer is 6-1/2"

Collection of zip ties.
12' cam buckle strap
2x small bungies
folding ruler.
About 6' of 14 gauge wire
Voltage tester

Yellow electrical tape.
Various self tapping metal screws and wood screws. These all fit in that old pill bottle.
Disposable keychain flashlight
Maglite converted to LED.
Sharpie
A few assorted clamps
Folding knife with a serrated and smooth blade. These knives are $10.00 and are not too bad of quality and come with a lifetime warranty. These are knives are perfect for seldom used kits such as this.
Box Cutter
3 x 3.5" common nails

The bag when empty is 10"H x 7"W x 2"D.

Re: Which tools? - 12/17/13 06:10 AM

Good kit. More than just tools, but I'm not going to knock it.

Re: Which tools? - 12/17/13 08:44 AM

I don't really carry a tool kit for in town. I just got tools in my car and at home and grab whatever I need.

What is really handy and not mentioned yet is a multimeter. Checking batteries, checking circuits, etc.

Re: Which tools? - 12/17/13 12:34 PM

> The wirecutters on LM multis are good, especially the ones
> with the replaceable cutting edges.

Leathermen are quality products no arguments there. But the gears on a sog make it unbeatable for cutting wire. I cut through 3 coathangers at a time with one. My LM and victorinox could only manage 1.
Another solution would be using a military knife with the built in wire cutter.
qjs

Re: Which tools? - 12/17/13 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Tjin
What is really handy and not mentioned yet is a multimeter. Checking batteries, checking circuits, etc.

I keep a cheap multimeter in my car kit. It was about $5 at Harbor Freight and it works reasonably well for quick in-the-field diagnosis.

Re: Which tools? - 12/18/13 05:09 AM

Yep, a small cheap multimeter would be smart.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Which tools? - 12/18/13 02:17 PM

The Harbor Freight multi-meter is sometimes free with a coupon and a minimum purchase. If you need a "sometime" tool or a one use tool, go there first. Most of the time they have coupon ads right at the door. And there is some really decent stuff in there.

As to tools, I carry a Leatherman sidekick most of the time, and have an EDC key ring with a small pry bar, a small SAK, a Gerber small tool, a flashlight and a lighter.

And Tes - why no nuts and bolts?
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Which tools? - 12/19/13 08:00 AM

Please define the terms a bit more. Is it urban carry? Is it an urban car kit? Is it a bag I'm carrying to work? Is it a weekend outing?

When I here "urban pack", I imagine what I'd carry to an office job in a city like San Francisco. There is no way I'm carrying half the stuff mentioned here.

In my man bag or on my person, I carry the following:

-knife
-whistle
-Pico Pen
-piece of paper
-thin rope rated at 250 lbs.
-band-aids
-tiny USB drive
-Fenix LD15 flashlight
-cell phone
-headphones
-watch
-keys
-money clip w/credit cards, etc.

I went ahead and listed everything because it's not much and intended to be ultra light, which is the only way I can imagine walking around in an urban setting. By the way, I would carry a handgun, but I'm in California...
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Which tools? - 12/19/13 10:26 PM

I'm assuming theses are going in a portable kit and not a stationary car or office kit.

Leatherman CS4 Juice, or Swiss Army Craftsman for single tools.

For a tool kit:
1) Needle nose Vice Grips
2) Stubby adjustable wrench
3) Good quality compact sharp scissors.
4) Good quality compact multi bit driver and your selection of bits. Include the larger finger ratchets as well as stubby drivers in this catagory:
5) Voltage detector pen
6) Small prybar (i.e. catspaw)

Other stuff carried in addition to the above:
3X5 or 4X6 notepad
Reliable ballpoint pens
Keychain tape measure
Spare power source for your cell (i.e. Energizer Energi to go)

Posted by: Bingley

Re: Which tools? - 12/19/13 10:59 PM

Maybe we should clarify the purpose of the urban kit. Are we electricians or are we trying to get home in an emergency? I'm genuinely curious as to the tasks that people plan to put their urban kit to. Learn from haertig: he showed up on the bus with tire chains, deicer, bag of sand, etc., and looked like a fool!

In terms of my actual history of use, the three most useful items for my day-to-day are: cell phone (with backup power), water, and meds/first aid. Food, flashlight, and USB thumb drives are on the second tier. Defensive knowledge and options are third. I don't get to use tools like pliers or vice grips that often, and so I don't actually carry any. I have a Leatherman Wave, but I've used it only once in five years.

As for survival or emergency scenarios, I plan to get to my car or get home on foot, where I have more gear.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Which tools? - 12/20/13 03:01 AM

At home: I use my Buck folder and Leatherman Wave several times daily. I use my small flashlight several times per week. I used my paracord for the first time ever, last week.

At work: I use my SAK, Leatherman Wave, & Mini Mag light daily. I've used my P-38 several times. The Magnesium Bar w/striker and photon light have never been used. I occasionally have need of my small pair of surgical scissors.

I use many apps on my cell phone for my line of business daily. My NukAlert hasn't gone off except when standing next to a friend within 3 days of his getting a hypodermic shot for cancer.

Re: Which tools? - 12/20/13 03:20 AM

In 1985, I saw my first Leatherman tool, the original PSK. It almost immediately replaced the SAK I had carried for years. Today I carry a Wave and use it a lot. When I am working, I usually supplement it with a bit kit and a small Crescent wrench. Other tools vary with the situation.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Which tools? - 12/20/13 04:27 AM

benjammin .. I suppose the multi-tool would do this (kind of). But I find that a good pair of needle nose pliers are worth their weight in gold. if you don't mind the extra few ounces in weight, I would include those.

Pete2
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Which tools? - 12/20/13 06:54 AM

Benjammin: In my EDC/ GHB , NYC or other high security location kit variation , I use a LM Blast, Pocketwrench II , Leigh Valley EMT type scissors w/ o the bandage grab tip thingy, 4" reversible dual tip shaft pocket clip screwdriver, a ResQme tool and sometimes. A 4-way Silcock key. I know from experience that all that, except sometimes the LM, will pass thru most security scans. I also have 20'to 40'Kevlar 400lb. test cord , 10' of 2" Gorilla Tape and a bit of thin SS wire. A really small needle noes pliers can be subed for the LM, if necessary. I'm not counting the kit Nomex gloves and swim goggles.
When security scans and/or weight are not prime concerns, I add a 12" Ti, L shaped nail puller pry bar (a really light&strong pry with fulcrum and forked pry tip) or a Boker Cop tool, a small keyhole hacksaw or equivalent , 50' 7-9mm climbing rope and a Channelock 369, 9"Linesman Pliers, with xtra padding/ insulation on the handles in the form of multi layer wrap of self adhesive silicone tape. Obvious HD plier use. Also as a hammer. Also great for cutting fence wire blocking your legit evac. This heavy kit requires some discretion, as LE may view it as burgular tools, even tho you have no illegal intentions. If possible, don't carry it around, leave it in your car, office or hotel room, for emergency use.

Re: Which tools? - 12/20/13 07:54 AM

Acropolis5: What kind of security scans are you talking about?

I have opportunities to go to NYC. The last time I was there, I realized I couldn't go to a tourist attraction because the security checkpoint wouldn't allow my kit through. How sad and foolish.

Getting caught with your heavy kit in NYC is a trip to jail for sure. Do other cities have a similarly dim view of vigilant preppers?

Re: Which tools? - 12/20/13 09:53 AM

Going back and rereading the original post, I'm going to revamp my list to just the LM juice CS4 paired with an alligator wrench (i.e. pocket wrench ii), tweezers, pen and notebook, and battery backup for your cell.You will find that will handle 99% of everything you will encounter in an urban environ.

EDIT: In this environ, information and communication are your most heavily used and valuable resources.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Which tools? - 12/20/13 07:25 PM

Carrying a Leatherman here at work would be a terminating offense.

You see, HR doesn't think anyone can be trusted to not hurt themselves or others.

Good thing nobody sends paper mail anymore. Those letter openers were terrifying.....
Posted by: Russ

Re: Which tools? - 12/20/13 07:59 PM

Geez I'm glad I don't work for one of those companies. Sometimes I carry a Benchmade 710 and other times a BM 940. I'm not the only one who carries a locking folder, I've seen others with a Spyderco "Police", a Kershaw AO model and one of the PC types just carries a SAK. Leatherman multi-tools and knives are just tools. NBD Sorry for the OT rant.

Re: Which tools? - 12/20/13 11:59 PM

That is one other thing you will have to take into account in the cities: stadiums, theme parks, monuments, etc. will have TSA type security rules and screening procedures. A non-cutting tool (e.g. Pockttoolx Pirahna), and a separate pair of round nose scissors (i.e. Gingher pocket scissors) may be a better choice then a multitool. Trauma shears, for all their toughness, tend to make hash out of the lighter weight materials and are less then confortable on clamshell packaging.

http://www.leatherman.com/831680.html
http://www.gingher.com/product/4-safety-point-scissors-chrome-finish/61/

Re: Which tools? - 12/21/13 02:19 AM

In reply to Bingley's question and commenting on Mark R's post, Bingley, the security scans I'm describing are of the type Mark R describes. They are also in force at museums , some entertainment venues and even some office buildings. My standard kit, described in my first paragraph, with the exception of the LM, is TSA acceptable and in most other venues as well. Albeit, some museums require you to check all backpacks and large shoulder bags. The LM is a toss up in the other venues. I use a Blast because it's lightweight, very low profile and has no exterior one- hand opening tools. At some venues they flat out ban them. Then you either pass it up or move to the following alternatives: Ask the security desk to hold it for you, stash it in a flower pot for (hoped for) later retrieval or try to pay the hot dog vendor to hold it til you finish your visit, in that order of preference. As I stated, the larger tool augments are stashed in my car, office, hotel room, ICE.

Mark, my standard kit (again, first para of my post), sans LM, is the multi tool alternative. The Lee Valley scissors is my multi purpose cutting tool and it fits in visually/logically, given my relatively large first aid kit. The small reversible screwdriver has its obvious uses as does the PW II, at a lesser cost and arguably "grayer" appearance than the Piranah et al. Respectfully, I think you undervalue the near weightless ResQme. But, I admit the Silcock key may be overkill.

I do not scrimp on flashlights. I have multiples, in coin cell, 1 AAA, & 1 or 2 AA, some as dedicated headlights , all with bands or clips to rig as a headlight, for use by others too. My cell backup power unit is a Morphie case on my I -Phone. I also carry an Xcaper mask, swim goggles and Nomex gloves, Sechelles Advanced Straw Water Purifiers , dedicated water carry bags with folding coffee, water filters and sleeve holder, water pure tabs, CASH, WP pen/ paper and too much other harmless non - controversial sundries ( e.g. M & Ms, Bic lighter, Chapstick, everyday meds, AMK survival blanket, silcloth poncho, etc.)

Re: Which tools? - 12/22/13 07:52 PM

Great feedback all. Thanks for putting forth your ideas.
Posted by: sotto

Re: Which tools? - 12/25/13 03:04 AM

I would suggest that a good sized file (6-to-8 inch or so) would be extremely handy. I read somewhere once that with a good file, you could make almost any tool, but it's extremely difficult to make a good file.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Which tools? - 12/25/13 02:23 PM

I carry a short section of hacksaw blade in a generic multi tool pouch, and with a split ring through the hole, and a section of wood slipped through,and a guide groove sawn, could make a field expedient handle...

but without a handle or multi tool, can be paired with a pocket clip knife to work rather well, though a lot of length is lost... if you try this for practice, cover the saw teeth as it will tear up the knife scales

Re: Which tools? - 12/25/13 05:58 PM

Les, that's some clever innovation in the use of the split rings and knife handles to wield the hacksaw blades. I'm going to copy that in one future kit or another.

Re: Which tools? - 12/25/13 11:11 PM

Is that an Emerson CQC 7 in titanium, Les?

Re: Which tools? - 12/25/13 11:39 PM

Bingley... Benchmade Emerson CQC7 in ATS34... the bottom Benchmade is the Elishewitz Ares Axis lock in 154CM

Re: Which tools? - 12/27/13 01:53 PM

on the subject of crowbars again: how big does one need to be to be much use. can you prise open a locked door with the little ones. and i know people sneer at the super tough knives as 'sharpened pry bars' well are they? if i try breaking a chain with one am i going to end up with a razor sharp knife half in the face?
i keep thinking of the people on 911 who were stopped getting to the roof by a lock and the cleaner who got a bunch of people out by cutting through an interior door with his squeegee. in an urban environment it's going to have to be something pretty dramatic to be a disaster scenario; so rubble, jammed doors, or prising yourself out of a lift or vehicle don't sound that unlikely. is there some other solution than prying?
qjs

Re: Which tools? - 12/27/13 02:07 PM

If you want to pry with a knife, I'd try the Boker Plus Cop Tool

http://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-knife/boker-plus/tactical-knife/02BO300.html

I don't know anything about breaking down doors. Even though I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night and have watched some Youtube videos about using various firemen tools to break down doors, I'll shut my mouth of ignorance and let the first responders here talk.

Re: Which tools? - 12/27/13 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
on the subject of crowbars again: how big does one need to be to be much use. can you prise open a locked door with the little ones. and i know people sneer at the super tough knives as 'sharpened pry bars' well are they? if i try breaking a chain with one am i going to end up with a razor sharp knife half in the face?
i keep thinking of the people on 911 who were stopped getting to the roof by a lock and the cleaner who got a bunch of people out by cutting through an interior door with his squeegee. in an urban environment it's going to have to be something pretty dramatic to be a disaster scenario; so rubble, jammed doors, or prising yourself out of a lift or vehicle don't sound that unlikely. is there some other solution than prying?
qjs

Depends on what you want to open. There are too many types of doors, door frames and locks to have an answer. Braking a chain with a knife seems like a waste of time to me. The forces needed to defeat most chains cannot be generated by a knife. If you want to open a door in a different method you could try a shove knife or lock shim. However this can create legal problems when the police find these items (or crowbar, knife, etc) on you.

As for elevators, there are special keys to open elevator doors. Note, elevators are equipped with safety locks that stops an elevator from moving when a door is open. If you open a door using a unconventional method, you could be bypassing this safety. This means the elevator might move even when the door is open. This is a mayor hazard when you try to escape an elevator. You do not want an elevator to move suddenly, when you are crawling out.

Re: Which tools? - 12/27/13 03:30 PM

For a pry bar that can be sharpened, try County Comm http://www.countycomm.com/eodrtool.html.

They also have lots of "widgy bars", etc that are suitable for key chain carry. I have used them to good effect,although I no longer have one on my keychain. I didn't really use it all that much.

In an emergency, anything (or at least a lot of things) can be a prybar
Posted by: sotto

Re: Which tools? - 12/28/13 02:47 AM

In my GOOTO (Get Out of the Office) bag, one of my most important items is a medium sized crowbar. That and dustmasks, a focused beam flashlight, 2 bottles of water, gloves, and a pair of wrap-around safety glasses.

Re: Which tools? - 12/28/13 06:53 PM

'Bingley's suggestion of the Boker Plus Cop Tool is a good one. I've been using that tool as an GHB/EDC Bag option, for years, in a permitting environment. Problem is, the urban environments where it would be most useful, secure buildings, subways, etc., frown on them. Foolish I agree, especially since it is in no way a weapon-like tool. My substitute is a Pocketwrench. II. A poor substitute I agree. But, in my experience, acceptable almost everywhere.

Re: Which tools? - 12/28/13 07:15 PM

Dunno about that. $52 for a Boker Plus Cop Tool versus $15.50 for the Countycomm Mid-Breach Robotics Bar.

Re: Which tools? - 12/29/13 02:28 AM

square off the nail notch in the crook end to fit chain link fence wire diameter....a wire breaker is born... a way to defeat chain link fence might come in handy

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1289933&KPID=976331&pla=pla_976331

Re: Which tools? - 12/29/13 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
square off the nail notch in the crook end to fit chain link fence wire diameter....a wire breaker is born.

Would you explain a bit more about how you'd use this? I can't visualize it. It seems you can't get very good leverage, and even if you do, wouldn't the crowbar just stretch the wire, rather than cutting it?

Re: Which tools? - 12/29/13 04:17 PM

Bingley... though I've used my wonder bar to break chain link fence without deepening the nail notch... it slips occasionally.. if the sides of the nail notch are deepened, and cut more parallel, and the wire diameter fits rather tightly, a quick lift (90 degrees to the direction of the wire) can usually break the chain link... the wire is not very ductile and usually snaps... I know you are a knife person... this is found on a lot of the military fixed blades
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Which tools? - 03/26/14 11:42 AM

Bandanna.

Why you need one: It's a dust mask, it's a would wiper, it's a stuff holder, it's a hat. It's the single most versatile piece of cloth you will carry.
Posted by: buckeye

Re: Which tools? - 03/29/14 04:23 PM

I recently started carrying the Gerber Artifact -- No orange on it LOL.

Thought I would test it out. At only $9.00 retail not the end of the world if I end up not liking it.

The small blade is only light duty, but is replaceable and came with two extra ones. Blade is pretty much just good for a package opener, but I figure it saves wear on whatever other knife I might happen to be carrying at the moment.

Very light; fits well on my key ring and in my pocket -- snuggles up nicely next to my Squirt.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Which tools? - 03/29/14 05:21 PM

The neat thing about the Gerber Artifact is that you can remove the blade and it becomes "air travel friendly". Like a Gerber Shard, except you can add the blade back later if you want to (I find that just leaving the blade off the Artifact suits me fine though).
Posted by: sodak

Re: Which tools? - 05/15/14 10:30 PM

One thing that I used to keep in my desk (along with other tools) when working in a high rise was a couple of rubber door stops. Very handy.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Which tools? - 05/16/14 02:37 AM

Just curious- does "sodak" refer to South Dakota? I live in Sioux Falls and have never heard sodak in any other context than as an abbreviation for SD.

Re: Which tools? - 05/16/14 03:38 AM

hurricane season is a couple of months away, and if you are new to hurricane country a couple of suggestions..

if you have a frame house, a good cordless 18v drill and a spare battery/charger is helpful... if you have to board up your windows with plywood, a TorX bit is a lot easier to use single handed than Phillips head...

PlyLoX spring loaded clips work well for a masonry home with recessed windows to hold plywood in place

a blue tarp in case your roof is compromised... some furring strips to hold the tarp against the wind

a can of spray foam insulation in case of a puncture of the roof.... can of roof mastic to make temporary repairs

section of chain with hooks to drag downed limbs out of your roadway

chainsaw or bow saw... don't see many crosscut saws down here

Re: Which tools? - 05/17/14 03:25 AM

Boy, you got me. I went to school with a kid who's last name was Sopak. That's about as close as I can get.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Which tools? - 05/18/14 03:05 AM

I've found innumerable uses for a small, pocket tape measure. Mainly to see if something is going to fit into my truck.

CRAP!! I just broke it when I went to see how long it was...60"
:-(

-Blast

Re: Which tools? - 05/18/14 03:54 AM

Sorry for your loss, mine is 6' (72")
:-)
Posted by: Craig_Thompson

Re: Which tools? - 05/18/14 11:24 PM

Mine is bigger than yours. 10'

Craig T.

Re: Which tools? - 05/19/14 12:59 AM

My favorite small tape is a Lufkin model both English and metric - 300 centimeters......indeed, very handy gadgets

Re: Which tools? - 05/19/14 06:52 PM

I've got a bit of a collection: Standard 16' Stanley tape measure in the toolbox, a 6' generic (Workforce?) keychain measure and a 6" machinists scale in my briefcase, and a 6' tailors measuring tape and a cheap, but surprisingly accurate, vernier caliper in with knotwork tools.
Posted by: Omega

Re: Which tools? - 05/28/14 10:17 PM

SAK SwissChamp is good enough for me - carrying too much gear is uncomfortable. Vehicles have their own tools.
Busse BA (I think it is model 3) was my hatchet, heavy duty knife, hammer, pry bar and once a mini-shovel for about 10 years now, so I don't see any need to get something better unless for playing around. However, it is strictly at home or other legitimate use.