Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread

Posted by: spuds

Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/02/13 06:34 PM

Newest project,learning Dutch Oven (Actually Camp Oven is correct term) cooking.

Any one who does this please contribute.As we learn we will update our experiences.

Standard disclaimer,I have zero to do with this site.

First is a couple links,this is a downloadable chart on how many briquettes top and bottom to get heat you want.Chart link is below calculator.

http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?custompage=Chart

This is a forum thats HUGE on everything you need to learn I reckon,great source.

http://www.aussiecampovenforum.com

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/02/13 06:35 PM

Interesting.Lewis and Clark carried one.Mtn Men did,there's a historical statue in Utah that front of cart has a dutch oven,Martha Washington in her will left cast iron to her heirs.
Posted by: JPickett

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/02/13 08:17 PM

A good source used to be a BSA (Boy Scouts of America) handbook.
I haven't looked in one for years, but I remember reading about camp cooking in a dutch oven there.

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/02/13 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: JPickett
A good source used to be a BSA (Boy Scouts of America) handbook.
I haven't looked in one for years, but I remember reading about camp cooking in a dutch oven there.
Yup,a big part of BSA apparently,many fine youtubes of scout cooking.
Posted by: barbakane

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/03/13 04:57 AM

Recently saw a cookbook where the lid was inverted and buscuits were cooked on it while the rest of the contents cooked. Interesting idea.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/03/13 02:06 PM

I enjoyed this article about Dutch oven cooking from backwoodshome.com:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/beattie47.html

And another from Scouting magazine:

http://scoutingmagazine.org/2009/09/dutch-treats-dutch-oven-101/
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/03/13 08:01 PM

Probably doesn't count but I use mine nearly every weekend as a slow cooker. No recipes to share since I just use normal recipes.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/03/13 10:59 PM

Cast iron "camp" dutch ovens are big among the teardrop trailer crowd:

http://camp-cook.com/forum/index.php

I have several but have never attempted the classic stack technique of putting one on top of another.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=44&sid=0912357e87ce66c248eb84213f20b04c

Love to collect this stuff. I have more cast iron than flashlights!

Posted by: ILBob

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/04/13 02:52 PM

kind of the original crock pot idea. just about any crock pot recipe can be readily adapted to dutch ovens and vice versa.

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/04/13 05:24 PM

Cant wait to get through those sites this week,thank you!
Posted by: LoneWolf

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/04/13 11:21 PM

Got another one for you.

Well crap, can't figure out how to post a link. Do a google search for "Byrons Dutch Oven Cooking Page" It is a great site with all kinds of information and recipes.

Cheers,
LW

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/04/13 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: LoneWolf
Got another one for you.

Well crap, can't figure out how to post a link. Do a google search for "Byrons Dutch Oven Cooking Page" It is a great site with all kinds of information and recipes.

Cheers,
LW
This?

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=recipe;id=71;url=http%3A%2F%2Fpapadutch.home.comcast.net%2F~papadutch%2Fdutch-oven-recipes.htm
Posted by: LoneWolf

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/05/13 12:49 AM

Well sort of. I have seen that one pop up and it appears to be a web ring but part of the address is embedded in all of that. I'll try again since I'm on a different computer instead of my wife's IPad.

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/

That is what comes up in the address bar of the page that I'm trying to link. If anyone can make that a link I would really appreciate it.

I hope that helps,
LW

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/05/13 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: ILBob
kind of the original crock pot idea. just about any crock pot recipe can be readily adapted to dutch ovens and vice versa.

Yep

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/05/13 04:19 AM

Beautiful seasoning Eugene.
Posted by: EdD270

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/06/13 08:59 PM

Thanks for the links, Spuds. Interesting info.
Only thing I can think to add is :
1)to not put briquettes in the center of the oven, neither top nor bottom. Arrange them in a small triangle around the center to avoid developing hot spots.
2) remember to turn the oven 1/4 turn every few minutes, then turn the lid the opposite direction 1/4 turn, again to avoid hot spots and provide even heating.
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/07/13 05:01 AM

We have a couple of camp ovens. There are a two main “types” : cast iron and spun steel.

The cast iron type are made from (not surprisingly) cast iron and are generally very heavy, but they do a great job.
The spun steel type are much lighter in weight and less prone to breaking if dropped (that’s why they were originally invented).

The spun steel ovens generally have a lid which can double as a frypan, but the cast iron lids are not usually the right shape.

They are great for cooking in, but do take a bit of practice. We generally use coast from a fire for cooking, but have used briquettes on occasion.

An important addition is a trivet, this raises items off the bottom of the oven, and helps prevent it burning.

Over the years we’ve cooked roasts, bread, scones, puddings and occasionally “stews”. Even nachos.

One “technique” which works well is to roast meat in one over, and roast vegies in the other – you can feed quite a crowd that way.

A couple of years beck a friend was boasting that he could cook the best roast, so we challenged him to a cook-off.
We invited a group of friends camping had four “teams” each making a roast to share. An excellent trip.
Posted by: leemann

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/07/13 06:56 AM

This site IDOS
You asked.
Byron's Dutch oven page

Enjoy...

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/07/13 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: ILBob

Yep

A friend seasoned his PioneerMaid stove with bacon grease,came out black and beautiful.

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/07/13 09:34 PM

That is actually one of thee Lodge pre-seasond ones so not my doing. I was showing that you can just cook normal things in them, doesn't have to be a dutch over specific recipe.

This was at my parents house a couple weeks after Hurricane Sandy hit and they still didn't have power. Put a roast and carrots and potatoes in and left it on the wood stove all day.
Posted by: AyersTG

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/12/13 03:08 AM

We use these a LOT. We've got two cast iron Lodge camp ovens (same size - 12", IIRC; one is "deep"). I'm more likely to use a campfire (coals) than manufactured briquets with those. Also have a 12" GSI hard anodized AL camp oven that I really like BUT I'm chicken to use that as an oven (say, for biscuits) - too expensive to "oops!", though I suspect it would take some serious inattention to actually melt one. It cooks just as well as the CI and clean up is trivial.

Also use two conventional cast iron (also Lodge) Dutch Ovens - no legs - in the home ovens. They excel for roasting things.

Google "straw box cooker". One of these days... I've used one (not mine) and that IS the crockpot of yore. What I have done many times (where appropriate) is dig a hole at basecamp and start a wood fire beside it while fixing breakfast - bringing my DO evening meal to boil over the fire. Before heading out, I dump most of the coals in the hole, lower the DO in, the rest of the coals, and then all the spoil (dirt) loosely and mounded. When we return in the evening, supper is ready.

I'm going to splurge on one of those tiny 10" GSI hard anodized DOs soon - I think I'll get a lot of use out of it on 2 - 3 day outings.

Re: Dutch Oven (Camp Oven) Thread - 03/12/13 04:06 PM

Great posts folks,thank you for the ideas and links.Im learning a lot,always appreciate folks taking time to educate others.

Did an 11 lb Goose (66 dollars!) and got this...

click to enlarge

But this is the payoff,4 cups of Goose Fat... liquid cast iron gold

Did the DO with 2 coats of this,into oven between 450-475F and cooked 2 hours at least,let cool,2nd coat...Got this beauty.

Ive had my best results with the goose fat,going to take a pan and try beeswax and see what I get,heard good things.

So happy with this DO we even bought a bag for it on amazon.Seems like a durn nice bag too!

Lodge A1-12 Camp Dutch Oven Tote Bag, 12-inch
by Lodge
4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (41 customer reviews) |

Price: $21.23 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008G2W0M/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i05?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No Knead Dutch Oven Bread - 03/14/13 10:26 PM

This is the ubiquitous online recipe

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups water

I made 1.5 the amt to cook in the #12 Lodge DO.

Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl,then add water.Mix just until flour is all moist and this is a very sticky style dough and thats it!

Click to enlarge pics

Let sit 12-18 hours on counter,covered but able to breathe.Then I poured out onto floured counter-top and wrapped it over itself about 12 times,adding about 1-2 tsp flour as just too wet,then sprinkled with bit of flour and cornmeal.Dont over handle bread,just gently form,dont knead.

Preheated oven and DO to around 475F,while that happened bread rose about 30 minutes.Tossed bread into DO,a couple slits with scissors on top.Put in folded side up for making the rough looking top.No need to oil DO,just drop it in.Put on lid and bake

After 20 minutes take off top of DO.

Drop temp to 450F and cook about 25 minutes more until toasty top and bread is hollow sounding when thumped. Then just used a gloved hand and it easily comes out of DO.

Came out crusty,chewy and excellent.This would be super with soup or stews.The internet is right,this is very easy very forgiving bread thats hard to screw up,gotta love it!

Approved by Snooky

Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: No Knead Dutch Oven Bread - 03/15/13 05:55 AM

This recipe (or variations of it) makes some of the best bread you'll every taste! It's very very easy; it takes a lot of time but very little actual work. I don't make (or eat) bread often but when I want a treat I whip this up!
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: No Knead Dutch Oven Bread - 03/15/13 03:11 PM

Dang it, spuds, you're making me hungry.

Interesting thread. Keep it up.

Note: do not turn your back on Snooky while that bread is on the counter.

Re: No Knead Dutch Oven Bread - 03/15/13 07:53 PM

Couldnt believe how easy it was,this is a recipe anybody can do,and I mean anybody,you need zero baking skills.

Could be made in an uncovered cast iron pan,or a covered high temp casserole dish like corning ware or just on a pizza stone they say.

Hope to get a couple weeks off this summer (sure hoping,50-50 chance?) and go to the beach.Our setup will be DO cooking,cooking with the SunOven brand solar cooking,and camping with the solar electric from the truck.Should be real fun sharing the three things with our fellow campers.

So what we are planning/doing is proofing the recipes in the home oven,and trying it later with the charcoal briquettes when we go out.

Been a fun learning experience so far.

Also made a rocket stove,need to do a thread on that