Mock "Get Home"

Posted by: Denis

Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 04:45 PM

I decided it would be a good idea, and some good exercise, to occasionally walk home from work. I've always assumed getting home, at least from my city's downtown core, wouldn't be an issue if some emergency forced me to do it by foot. However, testing out that assumption seemed worthwhile in itself.

So rather than one of my normal modes of commuting, I walked home last night. More to the point, I did nothing to prepare for this walk - I simply headed home at the end of the day wearing what I'd normally wear at work and carrying what I normally carry to & from work.

Some things I found were:

Food. I could have use a little something extra to eat smile. In a true emergence, I likely would've eaten the PowerBar that's been riding in my pack for who-knows-how-long, but in this case I did't bother. If I do do this on a semi-regular basis I might keep a little extra something in my pack just for this occasion (maybe starting with that PowerBar) which would allow me to at least rotate out that food.

Hydration. I also could have hydrated a bit better. I did have a water bottle but didn't end up drinking at all; I was more concerned with public urination than mild dehydration! That said, I likely could have still had a little bit of water.

Clothing. I didn't have a problem with my clothing at all. I was wearing pretty typical stuff for the weather (it was around 4 C I think, maybe a little cooler at the end); khaki's & a dress shirt with a fleece & leather jacket for outerwear. Along the way, maybe 5 K in, the leather jacket went into my pack, but the fact that I had layers seemed good. I also had some light gloves that were nice, and some extra stuff in the pack I didn't need.

Pack. My pack performed well, as expected; it is actually a decent MEC hiking pack that I've pressed into city use. I had my laptop, notebook, some water and various related stuff with me. With the leather jacket in the pack, it weighed a bit over 17 lbs.

Footwear. This was a bit of a mixed bag. I think my actual boots worked okay, but my socks didn't perform so admirably. They were shifting around and bunching up resulting in several hot spots and a minor blister. This was the biggest weakness I found; I need to find a good sock for this use, that works with my city footwear, and keep a pair in my bag. Obviously my normal socks don't really cut it.

All in all, I'd say the test was a success; in just under 2 hours I arrived home, covering just under 12 km with little elevation change, none the worse for wear (for the most part at least). I learned some things and can now confidently do this on a semi-regular basis which, I'm thinking, I would like to do so I can walk this type of distance on a more regular basis; I don't get out hiking enough!
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 05:12 PM

I think this is a good exercise, on several levels. The physical preparedness (fitness, equipment, clothing) is a good thing to test on a regular basis.

I would also recommend looking at trying this with an eye to your routes. You have your normal and probably most direct one, that is most likely. What resources are along that route? What potential safe areas? What potential threats? Do this for two or three more routes as well. Maybe one that stays in a populated area, another that avoids population (if possible). You could also vary transportation methods (vehicle, bicycle, foot, boat if applicable). Note the emergency services along the routes, water sources, areas that provide protection (depending on what the emergency is likely to be). It will increase your situational and area awareness if nothing else.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 05:25 PM

re: foot care...our cross country team tapes up potential hot spots with duct tape first, and that heads off a lot of problems...
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 05:37 PM

I've been very pleased with Under Armor's socks. They make 'em in black which works perfectly with dress shoes.

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
I would also recommend looking at trying this with an eye to your routes... What resources are along that route? What potential safe areas? What potential threats?

That's a great idea. The route I used was primarily on our city's bike/pedestrian pathway system so the vast majority of my walk felt fairly remote; this time of year the sun goes down before I'm done work & there are a few spots that you'd scream at people for walking into during a horror movie smile.

The big thing is picking the pedestrian routes that will take me over the main highway safely, but there should be at least one or 2 other major ways for me to get from here to there that I can check out.

Actually, another note regarding situation awareness that I forgot to mention was the use of headphones & my iPod. I started of my trip listening to music but, primarily because my route was shared mostly by cyclists, I quickly put the music away.

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
re: foot care...our cross country team tapes up potential hot spots with duct tape first, and that heads off a lot of problems...

I actually did have moleskin in my small FAK and, even though I could feel some of those hot-spots during the last half, I just didn't want to stop & treat it like I might have if I was out in a more recreational environment. Maybe that's a mindset change I need to make.

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 08:10 PM

Denis... do you have a small AM/FM radio?... to increase your situational awareness...information on trouble spots...

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Denis... do you have a small AM/FM radio?... to increase your situational awareness...information on trouble spots...

No I don't ... at least not one I carry with me routinely. I have an iPhone but depending on the emergency I could see that not working.

I've been meaning to plan & put together a dedicated, small urban kit instead of just tossing my hiking stuff into my urban bag. This might be a good time to look at that more closely (plus, my hiking stuff hasn't made it back into my urban bag from my last trip!). It would definitely make sense to include a radio ... I wonder if something like this would be worthwhile: Etón FRX1
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 09:26 PM

Great test. Good for you for trying it out before you need to do it for real.

Also want to think thru the cases where you have to walk home but it's more adverse weather or night or other possible situations.

I've been hiking a lot so have that part figured out (and have broken-in hiking boots and socks as part of my kit) but my walk home is 40 miles by the shortest route. Not sensible to do that as a test case as walking home would mean sleeping out at least twice. (Which, in theory, I've done some planning and equipping for but don't want to test in practice.)
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 09:30 PM

Great idea, Dennis. This is something I intended to do this past summer but didn't have a chance to. It's a great way to stay in shape for an unexpected repeat journey under more strained conditions, both physically and mentally.

In tandem with Montanero's suggestion to consider alternate routes, I'd also run through a few scenarios in your mind about when and I why you'd take those routes. They may inform your Plans B and C.

Well done and thanks for the inspiration!
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 09:40 PM

An even smaller option: but no wind-up capability, is a Sony model. I bought 2, keep one at home, and one in my backpack/computer bag:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Porta...=specifications

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Also want to think thru the cases where you have to walk home but it's more adverse weather or night or other possible situations.

Well, with sundown now at around 4:40 pm up here, I had the night part down with yesterday's foray. With the ambient city light it was okay, but a good chunk of the distance was on the unlit pathway system. I did have a light on me (my little Fenix E01), but I didn't end up using it. In a more stressful situation, a light might have been good idea ... maybe even a headlamp would be in order (something I don't normally have on me).

As far as adverse weather, I'm seriously playing with the idea of doing this every now & again through the winter. We'll see if I actually test myself through some of the tougher weather conditions as time goes on. Looks like they're forecasting a high of -11 C and some flurries for next Monday, which would be a start smile.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 10:23 PM

I call this my TEOTWAWKI route! The adventure would be somewhat like that film Falling Down as it also involves traversing a Golf course, but potentially in the wee small hours in the dark, which could potentially be quite difficult as it is the last leg of the Journey. The first leg of the Journey also involves crossing a bridge more than 1 mile in length!!

Newport Hotel.
Tickety Boos.
The Counting House.
Beiderbeckes.
The Bay Horse.
The Queen Anne.
The Last Tram.
Sandy's Bar.
The Whip Inn.
Birkhill Inn.

Total Distance about 6 miles
Estimated time approx 10 hrs

Access to food and drink and a place for other bodily functions should be quite adequate though! whistle

Worst for wear - Most definitely.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/20/12 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I call this my TEOTWAWKI route! The adventure would be somewhat like that film Falling Down

My mental picture of you did not, before now, include you acting like Michael Douglas' character in that movie.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/21/12 12:21 AM

Quote:
My mental picture of you did not, before now, include you acting like Michael Douglas' character in that movie.

LOL.. I am getting a little too old for such an epic pub crawl though. wink

The golf course I have to traverse does have areas nearby for picnics and has a petting zoo nearby as well. It does have some wolves so it might be advisable no to jump the fence into the zoo though as a short cut.

Choosing a direct route (as the crow flies) from the Whip Inn to the Birkhill Inn does have some obstacles in the way such as this pond. But this is an easy obstacle to go around as I know most of the area like the back of my hand. laugh
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/21/12 03:02 AM

Nicely done. I second the multiple route option. Any place to stash a small "restock" bag? Just some food, maybe a headlamp or matches or something? If it's as rural as you insinuate, might be easy to sneak it off the trail under a root or something.

Headlamp vice the Fenix?

I'd love to do the same, but my commute is about 30 miles, takes me over a bridge and through a tunnel under water. If society broke down, I'd either have to swim about 600m, risk the tunnel and traffic, or go around it ... adding a good 10-15 extra miles.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/21/12 03:38 AM

If you don't need to get "home" and just need to get somewhere safe, see if there isn't a closer option. When the subject of walking home came up in a different forum, my commute in an emergency got shorter. One of the members there determined I was traveling right by his house on my way to that first bridge. We met for a beer and have been friends since.

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/21/12 04:35 AM

Denis... I was thinking smaller, and will probably get something like this Ambient Weather model... or Kaito... lots of choices, but I have an old CB in the car with NOAA channels and good WX alert at home

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WR-090-Emergency-Flashlight/dp/B0083J46Q4/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1353471475&sr=8-28&keywords=am%2Ffm+radio
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/21/12 05:19 AM

I've got an older model of the Sony. The picture looks like they haven't changed the exterior except for no TV bands. It's about the size of a flip type cell phone. IIRC the headphone wire is also the FM antenna.

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/21/12 05:29 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Any place to stash a small "restock" bag? Just some food, maybe a headlamp or matches or something? If it's as rural as you insinuate, might be easy to sneak it off the trail under a root or something.

Actually, while it felt remote I was really in the middle of the city. Rather than walk along residential or commercial streets I was on the city's pathway system which, especially in the dark and with few users at the time, felt like I was really on my own. Much of the route I was on falls between the river and major roadways on otherwise undeveloped land.

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Headlamp vice the Fenix?

I might just throw a headlamp in my urban pack so I have both options when I'm out at work.

Originally Posted By: Russ
If you don't need to get "home" and just need to get somewhere safe, see if there isn't a closer option.

Excellent point, my route last night took me pretty close to both my step-son's home & place of work. Either would easily be half (or less) of the distance to my home.

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/21/12 05:43 AM

On the radio front, I dug around and found an old travel-sized AM/FM radio alarm clock. It runs off AAAs (which I usually cary spares of for both my lights & mouse) and it works fine. I guess I have a solution without spending a dime ... gotta like it smile.
Posted by: LED

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/21/12 08:21 PM

I recommend Spenco Adhesive Knit over duct tape for blister protection. I've used it for years and its the best stuff out there IMO.

Thanks for the write up. Nothing can substitute for real world experience. I always learn so much from these threads.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 11/22/12 05:39 PM

I keep a "gym bag" at work with snacks, walking shoes a fleece jacket and a water bottle.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 04/30/13 06:29 PM

added a spare phone charger.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 04/30/13 06:53 PM

I walk 3 and a quarter miles everyday before work.

I work about 6 and a half miles from home.

I am pretty much convinced I could get home eventually even if I had to walk.

I would probably feel it afterward though.

I wear some hiking shoes. they are Columbias and actually suck big time as trail shoes but seem to work pretty good as daily wear shoes. Given most of the way home is paved they would likely suffice if less than ideal.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 04/30/13 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Montanero
I think this is a good exercise, on several levels. The physical preparedness (fitness, equipment, clothing) is a good thing to test on a regular basis.

I'm commenting on an old post now, but I'd like to add something to Montanero's point about this being a good exercise on several levels. Another aspect is that a mock "get home" done with some repitition is an excellent idea for your mental preparation.

Most things that seem daunting or overly burdensome before you ever try it, often turn out to become pretty routine after you've done it two or three times. That 8 hour car drive which seemed to take for-EVER the first time, seems to go by a lot faster after a couple trips. And that three hour walk home may seem like "a walk in the woods" after a couple times, too.

I think that's a tremendous advantage when something happens at work and you're faced with the prospect of walking home. You've done it, you know you can do it, and it doesn't scare you. You don't need to feel anxious or try to impose yourself on someone else to come get you or to feel panicked about having to catch a ride with someone. That also gives you the freedom to stay behind at work longer, if need be, say, to stay with someone who is waiting for a ride. Or if you're going to bring someone with you or walk with someone at least part of the way home, you will naturally demonstrate the confidence that yes, indeed, you can walk this way and that it's possible for the other person to do so, too.

Since we're only talking two hours one way, I don't think it's unreasonable to try and do this on a monthly basis. That's probably enough repitition to make the walk home seem pretty routine. And is good exercise to boot!
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 04/30/13 11:37 PM

One of my favorite topics, because being prepared provides a measure of personal control in our individual sliver of a larger situation that will be beyond our control.

For many in D.C. and NYC on September 11, 2001, "get home" by foot became more than a logistical planning exercise. A lot of my girlfriends, in particular, cursed their choice of footwear that day (heels, of course). They kept sneakers at their office afterward but I'll bet many have gotten out of the habit as 9/11 memories fade.

I've lived within a mile of work for a couple decades so this has not been a pressing personal concern. But I have considered that something could happen when someplace other than work and because of where I live it may not be possible to drive home because of bridge or road closures. On the evening of 9/11, I thought about going out to Arlington, VA to visit friends but ultimately did not because of rumors that it might not be possible to get back over the bridges. So my vehicle is well-equipped for an overnighter and with a backpack (and hiking boots, socks, trekking poles, etc....). Some suggestions for a "get home" bag:

shoes/boots/socks/
map
headlamp + extra batteries
first-aid
cotton bandanas
N-95 mask
AM-FM radio + extra batteries
Leatherman
hiking pole (I have one with a cane-type handle)
cash
Sharpie + note pad
water
energy bars
lawn-garbage bag (emergency poncho)

Should go on some day hikes with these items and gauge how long it takes to travel the distance you may have to in a crisis.

3 mph is a good walking pace on flat ground. If I lived further than 5 or 10 miles from work I’d be looking at keeping an old (but recently tuned) bicycle and bike tire pump there.

Posted by: hikermor

Re: Mock "Get Home" - 05/01/13 02:15 AM

I always feel most comfortable when I am wearing shoes that I know I can wear to walk at least five miles. If I have to dress up, then a pair of real shoes under the desk is a good idea. It hasn't happened very often, but I have had to walk home - once an eleven mile trip.

A little planning helps. Often the best walking or biking route is not the one you drive in a car.