What dry absorbant for emergency toilets?

Posted by: Mark_R

What dry absorbant for emergency toilets? - 10/25/12 07:51 PM

It's that time of year again, and I'm adding an emergency toilet to my bug-in supplies. Since this is an urban local, digging a cat hole in the backyard every time nature calls is not feasible.

For emergency toilets, what is the preferred odor absorber to toss in after using it? I don't want to attract flies for reasons of sanitation and sanity.

Gardening lime
Sawdust
Kitty litter
Other?
Posted by: spuds

Re: What dry absorbant for emergency toilets? - 10/25/12 08:01 PM

My offgrid Bud used 5 gallon bucket under a toilet seat with sawdust.

Poo,sprinkle over it with sawdust and a 1/4 cup lime,worked really well.

Then he buried the stuff when can full.

Re: What dry absorbant for emergency toilets? - 10/27/12 03:08 AM

Im surprised you didnt get more replies.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: What dry absorbant for emergency toilets? - 10/27/12 03:44 AM

Peat moss is the long time standard in Maine. Lots of it here.
Free for the digging. Guess you could buy a bale at a garden supply. Burns pretty good too.

Nomad
Posted by: ILBob

Re: What dry absorbant for emergency toilets? - 10/27/12 03:16 PM

I like the 5 gallon bucket idea. The snap on toilet seat makes it an even better option, although I do not have one.

I think anything absorbent would work OK for a short time.

I would put a garbage bag in as a liner and just put it out with the rest of the trash for pickup.
Posted by: ponder

Re: What dry absorbant for emergency toilets? - 10/27/12 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
..... what is the preferred odor absorber to toss in .....

Fine sand or top soil.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: What dry absorbant for emergency toilets? - 10/27/12 06:06 PM

Sawdust, peat moss, and top soil would all help.

The most effective IMO is dry charcoal from a firepit. Some ash mixed in is okay, but heavy on the charcoal component.

Most of the smell actually comes from the "liquids" component as bacteria break it down. Separate buckets is a good idea.

Charcoal works so well that you can create a separate "liquids" bucket in the house and there will be basically no smell at all. Fill 3/4 with charcoal. Sprinkle a little more on top after use; or squirt top with soap/water mix in a spray bottle. After a lot of use, the charcoal will start to float -- and still no odour. I did this during bathroom renos and believe me it works.
Posted by: LED

Re: What dry absorbant for emergency toilets? - 10/28/12 12:29 AM

The Humanure Handbook guy uses sawdust from tree mills. I keep peat moss on hand for the emergency toilet cause it weighs next to nothing and is inexpensive. Clay kitty litter is very heavy.

Re: What dry absorbant for emergency toilets? - 10/28/12 04:29 PM

The stuff Bud used was the woodchip stuff for hamster cages and such,buy a big compressed block at Petco and such.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: What dry absorbant for emergency toilets? - 11/05/12 10:41 PM

None. Use a plastic grocery bag, tie it shut, throw it away.