PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB

Posted by: Chisel

PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/05/12 01:06 PM

I was watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnoA1tgFGSI

It occured to me that , indeed, we sometimes go thru personal hrdships that need different tools , not a knife and Bic lighter, but other stuff , more urban, more personal, and of different nature.

I remember several situations, when multiple crises happen and you have to be in two places , doing five different things all in the same time !! BTDT.

Among the stuff he mentioned, I second the contact list (Printed on paper), emergency cash (in small bills), among others.

What do you suggest for URBAN bag that you can label as (Personal crisis bag) ??
Posted by: Lono

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/05/12 02:42 PM

The most common personal crisis in an urban environmnet is house or apartment fire. His contents are pretty good, I might add a cell phone charger because while people often grab their cell phone while exiting they never carry a spare cell phone charger. It can be good to have a spare sitting in your car glove compartment even if you don't charge from the car.

The person in the video however has a bigger priority when getting out, sitting there squirming on his lap - his daughter. All the crap in the bag is nice to have but secondary. Grab your daughter and get OUT. Don't waste time grabbing or hefting your crisis bag. If you all get OUT everything is gravy and survivable, if you don't then its a real personal crisis.

I keep a bag near my nearest bedroom exit with cold and wet clothing in it for me and my wife and son, including old shoes - that's a good idea. Most of the rest of the crisis gear is already redundant somewhere else besides my house. I may throw it out the door if I have time, but first priority is getting everyone OUT and calling 911.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/05/12 02:47 PM

Many good points in the video. Much of that stuff (clothes, shoes plus much more, such as toiletries) is in my SUV full-time.

My purse is kept in the front hall closet inside a black zip duffle that contains, among other things (flashlight/headlamp, etc.), a Garmin navigator. Between my phone and the navigator I have all phone numbers and most addresses in this region that could be useful to me in a crisis. I prefer those storage devices to lugging the paper address book the video shows.

Cash. Absolutely. I have some hidden inside an interior panel of my SUV and elsewhere at home.

My laptop is always handy and the briefcase to carry it is also in the front hall closet.

Odds are that in the event of a "crisis" I am going to be at home or, at the least, in some proximity to my vehicle. With that in mind, I've increasingly looked to the car as a storage place for essential items for survival and comfort if some situation should arise. The "crisis" could entail being stranded with the car, needing to flee home quickly or being away from home when something renders home uninhabitable or unreachable (I live in Washington, D.C.).

Mindful of the risk of the car being broken into, the stuff I keep in there are not my favorites. Instead, it is where I stash an older jacket, older hiking boots, less expensive knives, etc. Perfectly good stuff, but not the items I'd miss as much if stolen.
Posted by: bws48

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/05/12 03:18 PM

Some good ideas. I think "personal crisis" is too vague. He seems to be talking basically about a fire, or basically just "get out of the house/apartment NOW."

In that vein, one idea I have is to adapt something I do when I travel. A "backup" credit card. Not carried with everything else in my wallet. Different place at all times. Primary card lost/stolen? If they got my wallet, at least I have a back-up.

Also, before my last trip to Eastern Europe to visit the relatives, I had to renew my (USA) passport. There is now an option to also get a "Passport card". I used this and now have an alternate ID to my driver's licence. Not good for all countries in international travel, but a good back up photo ID if my drivers licence disappears with my primary credit card.

Neither of these is a full substitute for cash.

Finally, I did, many years ago, have some neighbors lose their house to a fire. The neighborhood pitched in with whatever they needed to get by the first few days. Good neighbors are one of the best safety nets.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/05/12 03:59 PM

The concept is noble, but I don't agree with the guy's thought process in the video. The first things pulls out are shoes, shoes for his kids, pants, socks, etc. That was odd. I have those items laid out next to my bed at night. I'm not running out the house naked and then putting on my clothes and shoes later.

Anyway, I'd prefer to keep my clothes and shoes separate from the less bulky essential items, like cash, flashlight, cellphone, knife, etc.

Without the bulky items, I'm left with a much smaller, much more manageable man bag, satchel, purse, or whatever the heck you want to call it. For whatever reason, many guys are adamantly opposed to using these terms. Anyway, I carry a man bag everyday, and it's next to my bed at night. There's nothing new here.

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/05/12 04:42 PM

I can give you an example of a personal crisis that I went thru. It didn't have anything to do with fire or earthquake.

Although I dont remember all the details now, but I remember enough bits & pieces that can make your head spin , and would really appreciate a bag containing several essentials. And yes, I did wish I had a bottle of vitamin supplement during those stressful times.

My mother was hospitalized and had to take a day or two off my work to visit her. Nope, something happened at work and the other guy had to go somewhere and I had to stay put.

Alright, I can depend on my trusty car to take me there and back ( 2 hours one way). What happened is a flat tire (before travelling ) and tire guys do NOT have replacement because they were w/tubes. I had to go look for someone who would replace the wheels to new ones ($$$) to accomodate tubeless.

After spending the $$$, another problem evolved and I decided to leave the family car and use the smaller faster sedan. It was almost always taken away by my son. Alright, I start driving and guess what ??? He took it earlier to some cleaning/polishing shop that took the seats apart and washed it all over. Water got thru many places. The clock was running like a stopwatch , and while driving the seatbelt came off !!! I hd to stop to fix it, and didn't have the right size wrench.

It was problem after problem after problem.
I was starting to pull my hair.

I would really really like to have a bag that contains tools and gadgets that takes care of sharp turns of life, and that can multiply your efficiency to deal with Murphy's wickedness.

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/05/12 04:57 PM

I have emergency cash in more than one location. Extra cash in my small Murphy's bag, medium Murphy's bag, each car glove compartment, and in my companion bag that goes with me to the grave.

Contact lists are everywhere too. One copy in each car, in each bag, and in the office ..etc.

I have a phone charger in each vehicle and each location I have a drawer of locker. In addition, I take a spare cell phone when there is any hint of abnormality.

My "companion" bag has 3 pouches (1)FAK (2) meds (3) utilites and tools. Also there are many other EDC items like sanitizer spare batteries , flashlights .. etc.

Still, life will always manage to catch us unprepared.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/05/12 05:19 PM

years ago in my youth, in far away exotic lands, I frequented establishments that provided adult beverages, and the hostesses there carried their entire wealth on gold "di di mao" or "baht necklaces"....If I can get my shoes and pants on I'm pretty much covered...my wallet and credit cards, a little cash, and some EDC stuff is always in my pants pockets... I don't remove anything at night except to charge the cell phone...if I can get my pants on, glasses, and pair of shoes, maybe grab a pistol, and make it to the car, I'm pretty good to go, as my BOB is in the car, and more of a 72hr bag and has pretty much what was covered...zip drive in the car with personal information.... car is in a non attached garage
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/05/12 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
I would really really like to have a bag that contains tools and gadgets that takes care of sharp turns of life, and that can multiply your efficiency to deal with Murphy's wickedness.

This was a big goal of the build for my BOB.

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/05/12 07:03 PM

hehehehe

You know, when crises like that happen, a person feels what it is like to be a "chaos magent". LOL

Those days, you feel that all mishaps dumped out of Murphy's bag , are somehow attracted towards YOU .

Posted by: greenghost

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/05/12 11:47 PM

How about keeping a leash handy for the family pooch who will undoubtedly be freaking out at all the comotion.

And don't forget the zanax!

Pooly

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/06/12 09:33 AM

Greenghost, I have gone one step further : NO PETS !! The way I see it is that in cases of SHTF, a pet is an additional source of stress, additional thing to prep for.

Kids have had some gold fish and few pets in the past ( after showing moderate objection ). They got the pets for some time and now they had enough.

I'd prefer to focus my preps and attention towards family members , and even then I don't think I have all bases covered.

Re: the zanax, I found that vitamin supplements really help in times of stress and fatique. YMMV.
Posted by: greenghost

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/06/12 11:08 AM

Talk about timing! 2 hours after I posted this my 18 y/old step daughter brought home another dog after we told her explicity NO! It gets to stay FOR NOW only because my wife basically pleaded with me to give it a try, (she doesnt want it either but loves her daughter in a powerful way and is the family peacekeeper)

Empty nester is sounding better all the time mad

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/06/12 12:05 PM

Quote:
Empty nester is sounding better all the time

LOL

I write in a local forum that is focused on family life. One lady told me that she repeatedly read my wish of spending some time alone ( in the desert or remote beach) and she was kind of (what's wrong with this guy). She said that earlier, if she spent two hours by herself she would become crazy. However, after having kids who consume all her available time she would LOVE to spend a few days alone. LOL.

Really, between family and work ( not to mention elderly parents and modern society with all its faults) , a personal crisis is not at all something imaginary. Even day to day events slowly but surely push our nerves to the limit. Take for example my boss decision. We needed to order a few things and he said that money and endless redtape makes it hard to get them . OK ... but he later ordered something else that NONE of us need, nor do we have a space for, and its price would have paid for what we need.

Grrrr....

That stuff will arrive, and it will be OUR problem to find where to put it, and who will take care of it !!!

I am more than angry !!

Posted by: DaveT

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/07/12 02:02 AM

The personal crisis bag as described in the video is not too bad. I think the idea has been a lot more fully fleshed out as part of this fantastic blog "Listening to Katrina."

Listening to Katrina

It uses its version of the "Personal Crisis Bag" as part of an overlapping set of plans and gear to react to everything from "house is on fire - get out in under a minute" to things with a few days of warning, like a hurricane. The most methodical, well-thought-out and detailed personal emergency planning I've seen.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/07/12 11:09 AM

our dog is part of the family. it would be very hard to just ditch her.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/07/12 12:31 PM

I'm with Bob on this...The right kind of dog can also be very useful in many situations as well..
Posted by: Russ

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/07/12 04:45 PM

A walking sensor package. A good dog is very good to have.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/07/12 04:47 PM

Eat, Pray, Love, obviously.

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/07/12 07:23 PM

Quote:

Well, BOB, that is why I have a NO PET law in my house. If we don't have her to begin with, we don't have to struggle with ditching her later.

About the useage of a dog in a SHTF, maybe , but depoends on what type of SHTF. In MY most propable scenario, I want to move as quickly and quietly as possible. I can't see myself and family in a confronation of any type. Even a big dog won't help us much against several bad guys with guns, if it comes to that.

YMMV.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/07/12 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Quote:

Well, BOB, that is why I have a NO PET law in my house. If we don't have her to begin with, we don't have to struggle with ditching her later.

About the useage of a dog in a SHTF, maybe , but depoends on what type of SHTF. In MY most propable scenario, I want to move as quickly and quietly as possible. I can't see myself and family in a confronation of any type. Even a big dog won't help us much against several bad guys with guns, if it comes to that.

YMMV.

I get your point, and you made a responsible decision not to have a dog. I can respect that.

Personally, if my family settled down somewhere, my dog would be an invaluable alarm system. That may not be easy to imagine now while we're all warm and comfy in front of our computers, but there may be a time when my family is exhausted and may, for example, sleep through a bum rummaging through our stuff. My dog would definitely let us know about the intruder, and would be worth her weight in gold at that moment. That's not an unlikely scenario.

More importantly, I enjoy my dog's companionship as a family member. My family is the first thought in my mind when I face a life-or-death situation. My motivation to survive is to spend more time with my family, not just to win a competition or whatever.

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/08/12 03:04 AM

All right. I'll confess. Maybe I am a little bit biased by my mom's attitude . Pets were a friction point and source of argument between her and dad. He had a few birds ( parrots, canaries .. etc, ), The parrot could talk in a way , even we , would mistake him for dad. It made my brain wander in rugged areas of thinking. For example, I often asked myself : If this bird could talk like this , how come chimpanzees cannot talk; and they are so similar to us.

Anyways, one day my dad came home and mom told him the bird was dead. Teary-eyed, he asked where it was. Mom told him she tossed it in the garbage can!! He was upset and said the bird (deserved a better burial). He took it out of the can and went out to bury it.

So, I guess we people are created differently.

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/08/12 04:55 AM

OK, back to original topic : a bag full of stuff that can help you in most hard circumstances.

Although e-gadgets are not reliable in hard times, but I am fan of software applications that help tackle different tasks. One example is unit converters. They are life savers sometimes when you need to know something and you get it but in the wrong units. You want to know the BTU's , but you get your info in kilowatts, for example.

Do you know any other kind of software or application that is also helpful. I don't mean nice to have like a visdeo game, but really important when you need it.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/08/12 08:51 AM

We keep a bag in the front hall closet that s basically a get out of the house because it's on fire. It's got a change of clothes, jammies, shoes, jackets, hats, mitts, toiletries, cash, spare vehicle keys, and a printed contact list. It's essentially a going to a hotel/friends house/relatives house for a night or two bag. It also nicely suppliments the family BOB, one of which is hanging inside the garage door.

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/08/12 02:44 PM

Don't confuse a pet bird with a well trained dog. The sensor package on a dog is incredible. I work with a German Shepherd rescue and some of the dogs we get from shelters are simply outstanding. One came to us fully trained from a family that lost their home to foreclosure. It was a great dog which would be an asset in a SHTF scenario; it's currently being trained in SAR. They make good companions, but they also pull their weight. Pet birds, cats, pet snakes and gerbils do not belong in the same category as a companion canine.

That said, I agree with your decision to not have a "pet". Part of what goes with bringing a dog into your family is a committment mindset and you have described yourself as what I would call an unreliable pet owner. At least you know. A lot of folks who adopt pets think they can committ but when push comes to shove, they fold and we end up with another dog that needs a home.

$.02, YMMV

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/09/12 05:01 AM

Quote:
described yourself as what I would call an unreliable pet owner

Russ, I think a better description for me is : a realiable and responsible pet NON-OWNER.

In the past, I was stuck with pets (stubborn kids , you know ) we got a few fish and we put them in an aquarium. It needed feeding and cleaning ..etc. A few weeks down the road my daughter's attention went elsewhere, and I got to feed the fish. The fish reproduced and I got a bigger problem. Then I asked my son to help me transfer all those fish into a big water bottle and donated them to a pet shop.

It's just that I don't want to have the pets to begin with, and having to be responsible for them.

Back to original topic. Bag of helpful stuff.

I don't have a late model smart phone, but the cell phone I have does have a few useful functions. Camera, off course. The nice thing about a cmera is ( a picture is better than a 1000 words). Really. Saves you lots of talk. I often use it to photograph useful and helpful stuff. Like one day a pickup was parked at the store and displayed on the doors ( electrican & plumber ) plus phone numbers. tsk .. took photo.

The phone also has a voice recording function which I use frequntly to record TO DO things , or other remarks to write down later. One day my wife showed me some location and didnt want to forget it next week , so I recorded her description ( take right , then when you get at the phrmacy turn left ...etc. ) It is really helpful.

Thse functions are very helpful when you face problems.

Any other functions you have found useful for hard times ?
Posted by: spuds

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/09/12 12:46 PM

If you arent a dog or pet person,I applaud the responsibility in not getting a pet.

See many folks with no ability to own a pet making a pet orphan.Both of ours were pet orphans from people who had no business having a dog. mad

To me pet ownership is almost equal to a child in responsibility,and needs to be almost that level of commitment.

I wouldnt put a child in a life threatening situation,but I would a dog in certain situations. I love my mutts, but....Thats what a protector dog is for.

To stay OT,our dogs are personal crisis tools.

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/09/12 02:10 PM

Quote:
a reliable and responsible pet NON-OWNER
I agree, that is a better description of someone who chooses to not own a dog (or other pet), knowing that a pet isn't right. Good call.

As to the topic of a personal crisis bag, I always have my EDC backpack nearby if not hanging on one shoulder. Everything in the backpack is for use as needed. It doesn't take a crisis or emergency, but tools, flashlight, spare battereies, small FAK are all good in a crisis. Yesterday I carried a 40 oz bottle of water & extra socks. When I got home the water was gone, no crisis, I got thirsty. I carry that stuff to avoid things becoming a crisis.

Some things like cell-phones, EDC folder etc. are for pocket carry. Unlike most smartphone peeps who are always texting or walking around 95% focused on their phones display so they can get the latest text, I put mine in airplane mode and drop it in the pocket. If a call is important, they'll leave a message. Otherwise, I save the battery for when I need to use it. It's not a pager.
Posted by: Fyrediver

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/21/12 02:10 AM

I have a man purse that I carry most every where. It's a non-commando looking REI type bag.

In it is a Leatherman, small binoculars, lighter, Pocket Survival Pak Plus, Petzel headlamp, a small packet of food like Tanka bars and peanut butter, two space blankets, two 1 liter water bottles, a small first aid kit, and some cash in small bills. The main compartment is usually empty except for my sun glasses case and whatever's needed at the time.

I also have kits in both of my vehicles that replicate those items but are more extensive.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/21/12 04:06 AM

I have carried for quite a while an Eagle Creek cloth briefcase/backpack item that usually contains pens and notepaper, cell phone, spare glasses, small FAK, munchies, a small hooded jacket (Patagonia Houdini-4 oz), and usually my lunch. When I am commuting on the bicycle, it slips nicely into one of my rear panniers. I find that, off the bike, I usually sling it over my shoulder on one of the pack straps. It works just fine as a day pack on short hikes - probably one of the most versatile gadgets I own. Works everywhere from the workplace to the woods.
Posted by: spuds

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/22/12 11:20 AM

Ive noticed nobody has mentioned a tactical vest ( Urban Survival Vest ).

They can be very effective,I have one like this.Just grab it right by the door on way out,very effective.

Here is a very brief 2 minute video to give you an idea of how simple this is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdDItKMDf6g

Re: PERSONAL crisi bag - not a BOB - 09/23/12 07:46 PM

LOL . I've always found it critical to be able to locate a Twinky by feel. This especially true when you've gone tactical at night. Turning on a light to find your emergency snack is tactically unsound wink