Bug-out Trunk Inventory

Posted by: MDinana

Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/11/12 06:35 PM

Good afternoon all!
Wife has been away all weekend, so I've been keeping busy checking expiration dates, filling up gas and water cans, etc. Anyway, went to Home Depot to replace my falling-apart dinky plastic container. It's huge! So, of course since I have space, I need to fill it (right?).

This is suburbia. My wife, dog and I. Essentially the idea is a fast evac for hurricanes, or maybe moving to our duty station if we're called into work. I suspect we have enough pantry food for 3-5 days. This is a "get out of the area" idea.

First, the basics. I have a case of MRE's, and 10 3-liter water bottles next to this case. Camping supplies are one shelf over. My mental image is grabbing all of it, but the trunk is the core. BOB's are stacked on top of this trunk.

The Trunk! 45-gallon power pack. Seems pretty robust.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-...p;storeId=10051

Shelter:
2 wool blankets, 1 8x10foot blue tarp.
50 feet nylon cord (civilian version of 550)
50 feet of braided rope.

Tools:
1 Mora knife
1 pair of work gloves
1 tea-candle lantern with 50 candles
About 30 cyalume sticks
Some hand warmers
1 large Trioxane stove
About 30 triox tabs
1 2-liter pot with 5 books of matches (in ziplock)
Small waterproof container with about $100 in bills

FAK/Snivel:
Toiletry kit for wife and I
Small FAK, including female-products. No meds, but only b/c they expired and I just tossed them. (BTW, each car is well stocked w/ a FAK)

Water:
3 liters, in 1/2L bottles. Like I said, water is mainly outside the kit.

Food:
MRE x 4
Mayday survival ration x 2
5lbs rice
3 bags of mixed-bean "soup" prep kits.
12-pack of Ramen noodles
2 dehydrated Mtn House "veggie medley" packets (pretty small)
2 cans spam
2 cans tuna (probably getting more soon)
2 cans of chicken
About 20 Gatorade G2 packets (approved by military as ORS!)

OK, so what am I missing? Multitool is on the list. Maybe a headlamp. Travel board game?

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/11/12 07:25 PM

How do the canned foods fare in the heat of your vehicles? I would'nt toss meds until I had the replacements in hand. Nice gear you have.

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/11/12 09:04 PM

Thanks.

I don't know how the cans handle the car. This is kept in my garage. So far they seem OK as I cycle through them, maybe every 2-3 years. No dysentery yet smile

Meds - mainly just tylenol and motrin. Hardly worth getting in a tizzy over, and they were about 3 years out of date. I've got some in my bathroom if I really need it. In a true SHTF, I'm sure I'd be busy enough to ignore a caffeine headache or whatever.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/11/12 09:39 PM

Just a thought on the stove selection.

Considering that your kit is primarily for a vehicle, you might want to consider a Coleman type single burner stove. This along with a couple of 1 lb propane tanks might be a better choice of stove unless your BO plan includes putting boots to the ground and hiking home / or away somewhere. In this case, the Trioxane stove would be better choice.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/11/12 09:42 PM

you have me overmatched on most things, but since you said hurricane...some things I've found need of over the years

good LED light and headlamp...I'm old fashoned an use Dietz kero lanterns inside
radio that picks up NOAA
12v digital small screen TV
tent fan
I've tried to standardize my batteries to AA and D..
Teva style foot wear to allow feet to dry
hooded GoreTex rain jacket or coated nylon poncho
hard hat and safety glasses in case you really have to go out during the storm
towels
Coban style self adhering tape, as bandaids don't do will on wet skin

I can sleep in a folding camp chair, with poncho on, and mosquito netting draped over me for several hour cat naps... that gets me off the wet ground
Posted by: bws48

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/11/12 09:48 PM

I would consider upgrading your stove to a multi-fuel liquid or propane stove. I see 30 triox tabs on your list, but it might be hard to replace them when they run out and then you have lost your stove. A multi-fuel stove or a propane stove will give you more options for a refill if needed.

For car carry, I like a two burner propane stove. Quick easy set up and tear down, and propane is easily available. Also, it may work out cheaper to buy a propane stove than one of the neat backpacking multi-fuel stoves.

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/11/12 10:59 PM

Good additions to the list - thanks. Hadn't thought of sandals ... rain gear I already have, but I don't think I would grab it if I was leaving the house. Maybe toss in an old poncho til I get some dedicated gear. Ditto the hard hat(s).

I actually have 2 MSR camping stoves in my camping gear. I suppose it would be easy enough to swap 1 into this box and grab a few more cans of fuel. My only problem is shelf life on the gas, since I don't use it much.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/12/12 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: MDinana

OK, so what am I missing? Multitool is on the list. Maybe a headlamp. Travel board game?

Thanks in advance.

You are well prepared.

Something I carry due to experience is a sturdy collapsible bow saw. and a tow strap. On one occasion, I was on a road in the woods when a windstorm came up and downed trees across the road, blocking my only route out. Another time an ice storm dropped trees across the road.

I was able to saw them up enough to hook the tow strap up to my vehicle and clear the way.

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/12/12 09:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
Originally Posted By: MDinana

Thanks in advance.

You are well prepared.

Something I carry due to experience is a sturdy collapsible bow saw. and a tow strap. On one occasion, I was on a road in the woods when a windstorm came up and downed trees across the road, blocking my only route out. Another time an ice storm dropped trees across the road.

I was able to saw them up enough to hook the tow strap up to my vehicle and clear the way.

Good thought. I have a few tow straps in the truck. I have a sierra saw w/ camping stuff - will toss it into this instead. Can't hurt to throw in a tow strap too, just to be safe.
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/12/12 01:10 PM

I have used white gas that was probably 20 years old and it worked just fine. Both in the original can and my Seva 123.

Bill
Posted by: Nomad

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/13/12 11:44 PM

About Chain Saws.
We spend a lot of time living in the woods. As much as 7 months a year. The rest of the time we are in the desert. All of the old time woods rats I know get on my case because I don't carry a chain saw. All of them have stories about how they were trapped "deep in" when falling trees blocked their path.

Gloria and I have seen trees fall. No wind, no ice, nothing obvious to cause the fall. One tree hit another and both fell. They did block a road, but not the one we were about to travel. It does happen. However I still do not have a chain saw. Slow learner I guess. Karma being what it is.....Now that I have talked about it, I REALLY need to get one.

Nomad
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 03/14/12 12:44 AM

If it is any consolation, I don't have one either. A nice sharp Swedish saw cuts pretty darn fast. At a much slower pace, I once cleared a fallen tree ('bout 8-9 inches in diameter) from a road using a machete-probably not the optimum tool for the job.

Frankly, I don't like chain saws-just too darn noisy and a tad unsafe.
Posted by: Kai

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 04/04/12 11:08 PM

Here in my auto "emergency bag" inventory.
I went through this bag last evening with my wife and she said "you don't have a small stove. What if we are stuck and need to heat water, etc. And you don't have anything to heat water, etc. in. You need one of those Boy Scout mess kit things." What a wife.
But she is a Northern NY'er by birth, family has been in this area for over 200 years, and has lived through the blizzard of '77, the great Ice Storm, etc. and knows the value of being prepared.
I will be adding those items in the next week or so.
There is always one gallon of fresh water in the car, in small bottles, and half a dozen packages of peanut butter crackers.

Storage Methods:
1 large duffle bag for the clothing, sleeping bag and tarp
1 backpack for the remainder
1 small shoulder bag for easy carry/hiking use

First Aid Kit:
First Aid Antiseptic Spray
1” Adhesive Tape
4”x16’ gauze bandage
3-4”x4” gauze pads
22 Band-Aids
3 packets burn gel
6 packets triple antibiotic ointment
11 packets (2 per) aspirin
2 packets (2 per) Vic’s Cold Caps
1 bottle Ibuprofen
1 package water gel burn gel dressing
1 cold pack
1 bottle mosquito repellant
1 tube lip moisturizer
6 pair nitrile gloves
1 box of butterfly strips

Edibles:
1 box of basic energy bars (90 calories per)
1 energy bar
1 energy gel
4 electrolyte caps

Clothing:
1 fleece jacket
1 hoody/her
1 pair khaki cargo pants
1 t-shirt
1 long sleeve top/her
1 short sleeve top/her
1 sleeveless top/her
2 pair wool socks
2 pair light socks
2 pair underwear his/hers
3 pair medium gloves
1 pair light gloves
1 baseball cap
2 cold weather hats
2 cold weather head bands
1 pkg. Mini hand warmers
1 pkg. Toe warmers
1 emergency blanket
4 ponchos

Varied:
1 sleeping bag
100’ braided rope
2 emergency whistles
1 folding saw
1 6’x8’ tarp
2 pair of rubber coated work gloves
1 AM/FM transistor radio (battery powered)
1 small flashlight
2 AA batteries
2 AAA batteries
1 box of firelighters
2 Bic butane lighters
7 large and 6 medium zip ties
1 aluminum water bottle
1 nylon cord
1 fork, 1 knife and 1 spoon
2 pens
1 notebook
1 small LED light
1 compass
1 small multi-tool
1 Leatherman multi-tool
1 pair of binoculars
1 knife, fixed blade with sharpener built into sheath
1 knife, Gerber, fixed blade
1 deck of playing cards

Hygiene:
2 rolls toilet paper
2 small bars of soap
1 disposable razor
3 toothbrushes
1 small tube of toothpaste
8 feminine hygiene products
2 mini packages of Kleenex
1 package of 15 wet wipes

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 04/05/12 01:45 AM

Thanks for the list.

This did not cover what the truck already has. MRE's, tools, wool blanket, FAK, etc. So in some ways it's supplementing what's already stashed full time.

I'll be taking a closer look though to see if there's room for improvement.
Posted by: 6pac

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 04/05/12 04:28 AM

I've heard that the cyalume sticks degrade in the original packaging, or any packaging for that matter?
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 04/05/12 02:27 PM

This is a very good and well thought-out kit.

Consider adding a headlamp and some boots. I like having an emergency blanket and disposable poncho per person. You might want to add more batteries. I'd also add a backup method to charge your cellphone.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 04/05/12 03:59 PM

I second the poncho suggestion - never know when you need to get out and walk - might also include some sort of bag to carry supplies in if you need to abandon the car?
Work gloves? Always useful if you need to do road clearing
I might prefer to have a bit more water on hand
Meds - opinions vary but my experience is that nothing makes life more miserable than the runs - some sort of anti-spasmodic makes life much more bearable
Since you have the space I would suggest a deck of cards and a first aid manual might be worthwhile additions.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 04/06/12 01:49 PM

Really nice set up, MDinana. You and I never seem to agree on things like clothes. We both dress for the worst weather, but I like carrying an extra set in case of an unexpected cold/wet combo but that may not be a consideration where you are. I am going to cast a vote for a pair of socks for each of you, though. You need to take of of your feet and a clean pair of socks can also be a big moral booster. The same could be argued about clean underwear, but maybe that's just the mom in me.. wink

I'd also consider adding a stronger source of light, like an LED. A bright, immediate light, specifically for security and first aid emergencies after the sun goes down, can be invaluable.

Travel board games come in just about every flavour these days. Check out your local dollar store or Walmart type place. The variety is staggering. Personally, I carry a small deck of cards because there's no little pieces to lose.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 04/06/12 04:02 PM

MDinana....in the LED light topic , I really splurged this last year as I perceived it as a weak area for my hurricane supplies... for general use a 3w 2D cell Maglight has been standard for a couple of years both house and car... but I was disappointed with the inexpensive 3 AAA headlamps available from the box stores... and my AA LED mini maglight just quit

first was a Malkoff 260 lumen upgrade for an older SureFire 6P...I have always had good service from SureFire (and they support my hobby)... it's light is intense enough to use as a physical deterrent

then went with an expedition quality 3 AA headlamp from Black Diamond... battery pack is at the rear, triple head strap

finally replaced the AA mini maglight with a Fenix 2 AA E21

added a Streamlight TacPro 1L single CR123 110 lumen to my EDC
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 04/06/12 04:56 PM

My newest flashlight is an EagleTac G25C2, and I like it a lot, but it's too much flashlight (and too much cost) for most peoples' needs. I really like the 4Sevens Quark AA^2 and 123^2 flashlights for that -- amazing runtime and fantastic output with rock-solid reliability in one package.

I have no affiliation with any flashlight manufacturer other than owning what some might refer to as "too many" flashlights.

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 04/06/12 06:01 PM

Ahh... lights ... yeah, I've been on CPF for years. I have several headlamps and flashlights, but you're all correct, NONE have made it into the trunk. What am I thinking? Will rectify soon. Ditto the additional batteries (it's actually probably time to bring those ones in anyway).

Good call on the board and card game stuff. I've actually got a deck in my wife's trunk, but again, none made it to this one.

Bacpacjac: you're right on the clothes smile Out here the weather isn't too severe. I do have a spare underwear/socks in my BOB, but I suppose I can grab a set (his and hers) for this too. Good call. As for jacket and whatnot, I figure I can grab one as I leave. If not, well, then I'm an idiot and going to be the guy with a blanket wrapped around him. Serves me right. My wife harps on me for this all the time!

Bigreddog: though about meds. I do have a few (motrin and such) but no imodium. I think that was around at some point and probably expired. Probably worth the effort to replace. Thanks. As for a first aid book, I'm good there. 10 years as an EMT, my wife and I are both physicians.

Great insights so far. Thank you!
Posted by: specwar

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 06/17/12 08:08 PM

Water Filter in case bottle water is used up/contaminated
Small cook stove
Extra work gloves
Tools (axe shovel)
Canvas Tarp instead of blue poly for extended stay??
Several rolls/large pack TP.
Wet Wipes for personal hygiene
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 06/17/12 09:03 PM

How timely to see this thread. My Element is going into the shop tomorrow (a/c problem) and I just finished taking nearly everything out of it in case someone of low integrity were tempted to root around.

Good to go through it all a few times a year for a reminder of exactly what is in there, where it all is and to see if things need updating (I keep some food items in there so those are now in the kitchen to be assessed and perhaps replaced).

For batteries, I've become a fan of these "Dial Industries" battery storage boxes that I found on Amazon. I have the AA and AAA boxes in the car - clear plastic so you can easily see what you have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003US4L4K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&m=A2FP3WC79CXYXU

Despite living in muggy DC, this summer I've begun keeping more cold weather stuff in it than normal -- relatively small items that could make a huge difference in comfort level on a cool night outside the city if stranded in the car and which can be crammed into nooks and crannies.

Such as: balaclava, fleece hat, ear muffs, long underwear, down booties, Smartwool socks. I also put an old 50-degree synthetic sleeping bag in there that compresses small and a fleece bag liner that recently came in handy when visiting a friend's beach house and they had the a/c cranked a bit higher than was comfortable for me. I also keep a Marmot Dri-clime jacket and Marmot Precip parka in there.

On summer days, I'm nearly always dressed very light -- cotton, linen, silk -- so its nice to know that if I drive out of town that I've got some warmer items tucked away in the event of an emergency.

Hiking boots/socks/extra laces and underwear are also in the Element (except when it is going into the shop....).

Shelter begins with your clothes.

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 06/18/12 12:19 AM

I must admit, my clothing typically doesn't scream survival. Quite often it's the bare minimum - my uniform. I do have a wool cap and glove liners already in my car, but that's the extent of my clothing.

SpecWar, good points. I've never really considered a cloth tarp - I don't plan on using a tarp as shelter if I'm leaving in a vehicle. More of an addendum/patio type of covering.
-TP. Actually I think I have one roll, but thanks for the reminder to check. Wet wipes are in there.
- I think there's one pair of work gloves - if not, my BOB has them, and it sits on top of the trunk.

I did put in 2 headlamps, finally found some MSR propane tanks for my Whisperlight and threw 2 of the larger cans in to the trunk. Water filter is not currently in the trunk, but it IS situated about 10 feet over in my "miscellaneous camping crap" box. Don't know if I'd have the presence of mind to grab it however.
Posted by: Famdoc

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 06/18/12 03:04 AM

I think this has been mentioned before, but it seems to bear repeating: Drug expiration dates are arbitrarily selected by the manufacturers to maximize movement of their product off the shelves. They bear no resemblance to what is actually happening chemically, which, with the exception of insulins, nitroglycerin, and possibly, tetracycline, and some liquid antibiotics, is next to nothing:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/04/02/drug-expiration-part-one.aspx.

With the possible exception of outdated tetrcycline (this is controverted), NOTHING else turns into a poison past it's due date. There may be a trivial loss of potency, but that is all. If the aspirin or ibufprofen turns an 7/10 headache into a 1/10 headache, rather than a 0/10 headache, well I think we can all cope.

I remember one of my well-intentioned kids coming home from school with an assignment from a well-meaning teacher: check the expiration dates on all the stuff in medicine cabinet, and pitch anything past it's expiration date. I'm sure the drug companies and their stock-holders were happy with the result; perhaps they have had a role in writing the erroneous curriculum used by the health teachers to perpetuate this myth.

Re: Bug-out Trunk Inventory - 06/18/12 02:22 PM

Famdoc, I've heard that before too ... I mean, even gauze has an expiration date. Usually I'll hold my meds about 2 years after the exp date, but I don't condone it!