EDC comfort items?

Posted by: TeacherRO

EDC comfort items? - 02/05/12 05:51 PM

Most of my urban " situations" are simple delays so... my EDC comfort items

Sunglasses (300 days of sunshine a year), often a good book,
a snack bar/ water, some meds ( Ibuprofin) and a sense of calm.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/05/12 07:20 PM

Urban guy here too.

Delays can be frustrating at times, especially if they are not expected. I spend some of my waiting time "planning things" in my head. Either juggling gear items which go in this kit or that bag ( e.g. recently bought a couple folding knives with TWO blades each, and deeply thinking which kit they should reside in )

... or thinking over a specific scenario like being stuck in office after hours ( I did indeed have a multiple emergencies in the office building - a few years back - while my wife was in labor having our first child !!! yikes ) .

So, there are a few things worth investing waiting time
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/05/12 07:29 PM

I thought I was going to get caught in a highway closure a week or two ago. As I sat in the snowy gridlock I thought to myself "I'll be warm. I've got food, water and light. I'll be fine but I'm going to be bored." There's a new book and word games book in my edc now, anr I may just get angry birds for my new cell phone.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/06/12 02:00 AM

Eyedrops.
Posted by: Finn

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/06/12 02:52 AM

Hair ties for my ponytail.
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/06/12 10:03 AM

Charger for my phone (so I can stay in contact with world), chewing gum (ersatz toothbrush), book, and pen and paper (with a notepad and a phone I can get work done, to some degree)

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/06/12 06:23 PM

Agreed. I daily carry a paper notebook.
Posted by: peanut

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/07/12 04:47 PM

A redhead......
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/08/12 01:47 AM

PDA with a large library on an SD chip.
Posted by: Frozen

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/08/12 03:03 PM

A trio of Starbucks Via pouches.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/08/12 04:02 PM

"a loaf of bread, a jug of wine...etc"
Posted by: Finn

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/08/12 07:04 PM

I carry Via in my Evac ruck food kit. Love the stuff!
Posted by: Andy

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/08/12 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: peanut
A redhead......

Carrot Top?
Posted by: randyo

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/10/12 05:21 PM

I always have a huge ebook selection and a number of audiobooks loaded on my Droid-X. Keep a spare phone battery in the truck, a number of rechargeable AA batteries, a solar charger, an AA battery phone charger, a 110 AC powered charger, an inverter, 2 USB drivers stuffed with more ebooks, media, movies, and TV shows, and a small netbook with humongous battery life to transfer files from drives to phone if needed. I also have a wife who can remind me every couple of minutes how its all my fault - so I think I'm covered in the entertainment department.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/21/12 08:06 PM

I carry a boot lace as a comfort item. I can practice knots when I'm bored. I can also use it for many different things.

By the way, I recently removed my USB flash drive and my peanut lighter from my on-person EDC. I moved these items to my laptop bag.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/23/12 04:01 AM

For Urban situ's,Aspirin,Tagamet,& TP Works for me!
Posted by: Diosces

Re: EDC comfort items? - 02/24/12 05:16 PM

EDC bag has following comfort items:
Pictures of my daughters and wife (for practical reasons as well.)
Nook loaded with books, both practical and entertaining.
Earl grey tea bags.

Re: EDC comfort items? - 03/31/12 05:44 PM

I'm adding some books to my phone...

Re: EDC comfort items? - 03/31/12 06:17 PM

Chocolate.
Posted by: Kai

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/04/12 11:03 PM

My Galaxy Player. It is an ereader and has most of my personal files (word, excel, pdf formats), contacts, etc. as well as a large collection of photographs of family, etc.
I usually have a couple of stray magazines in the car.
I have a hand/solar powered radio in the "emergency bag" in the trunk. It charges my iphone and Galaxy.
Couple pair of readers now that my arms have become shorter.

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/04/12 11:54 PM

Kai - nice. Now if they'd make a car powered donut maker, I could sit comfortably in traffic for hours.
Posted by: Arney

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/05/12 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Now if they'd make a car powered donut maker, I could sit comfortably in traffic for hours.

Well, if you had a diesel car where you could hit a switch and send that oil that you fry up your donuts with to the engine when you're done, sitting in traffic for hours munching on your freshly made donuts could be economical after all! wink
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/05/12 03:42 AM

If I say my comfort items I'll get sent to the cyber woodshed LOL. So I'll say that until he disappeared my cat Tuffy comforted me.

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/05/12 03:46 AM

YES! Peanut I agree!

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/05/12 03:48 AM

Via?

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/05/12 04:20 AM

You don't carry your source of fire on your body?!
Posted by: Treeseeker

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/05/12 06:50 PM

Snake Doctor,

Via is Starbucks' instant coffee. It conveniently comes in single serving packets.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/06/12 12:27 AM

A nice cup of tea.... and every once in a while, a packet of Via - good stuff.
Posted by: haertig

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/06/12 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
I carry a boot lace as a comfort item. I can practice knots when I'm bored.

I'm glad you reminded me of this. I used to carry a 3 foot length of 2mm cord to practice knot tying. My wife used to make fun of me tying up table legs in restaurants while waiting for dinner to arrive. I need to put that cord back in my pocket.

Also, since getting a Nook eBook reader, I now carry that around quite a bit. If I get stranded somewhere I always have a book to read. And since I don't always feel like reading, I scan in my piano music, turn it into a multi-page PDF file, and load it onto the Nook. So I can grab my MP3 player to listen to the pieces as I follow the score on my Nook. This helps greatly while memorizing pieces for performance. So I can "practice piano" while stranded away from home too (provided I also remembered to bring my MP3 player!) People with fancy eBook readers can have a reader AND music player all in one device, but I just have the Nook Simple Touch, the most basic model - book reader only.

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/06/12 01:34 PM

Via.... mmmmMMM! REALLY good instant coffee. Reminds me, one of the kids tossed my travel mug bodum and broke it at our last camp. I was going to get a new one but, via is so good that I'm thinking I might just skip the bodum.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/06/12 03:04 PM

My phone has eBooks and games (Sudoku and backgammon are the only games with lasting interest for me). Also an FM radio, which I don't normally use, but I EDC the headphones it needs for an aerial just in case.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/09/12 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I carry a boot lace as a comfort item. I can practice knots when I'm bored.

I'm glad you reminded me of this. I used to carry a 3 foot length of 2mm cord to practice knot tying. My wife used to make fun of me tying up table legs in restaurants while waiting for dinner to arrive. I need to put that cord back in my pocket.

If you have a smart phone, the app (iphone/android) Grog's book of knots is really good. Very instructive animations of how to tie them, and lots of info about the application and history of each knot, as well as suggested alternatives.
Posted by: Russ

Re: EDC comfort items? - 04/09/12 09:04 PM

"Animated Knots by Grog" on the iPad -- Thanks

Re: EDC comfort items? - 05/14/12 06:16 PM

dry socks make a huge difference...