Goals for Fall & Winter

Posted by: TeacherRO

Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/17/11 04:23 PM

Basic prep is often slow...Get that, fix this, plan a bit, learn about...Well one good way to move forward is to set goals. Any new ones/ Old ones?
Posted by: LED

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/17/11 05:25 PM

Improve my camp cooking skills.

Get rid of some clutter.

Go on fall roadtrips while the weather is perfect.

Take a language class from community college.

Store more water.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/17/11 07:48 PM

Get more firewood in, load up the rack (covered) outside the back door for times when the rain is too heavy, the snow is too deep, etc.

Get about 100 8x16 pavers up onto the roof to hold the plastic down, pull up the lath/nails, patch the holes with that black Henry's goo. I realized that the pavers are cheaper, last longer and have more uses when/if no longer needed on the roof.

Reduce some of the clutter -- there's a point where it becomes simply ridiculous.

Print out my condensed gardening info.

Line the igloo dog house with Reflectix insulation, and make a flap of the same material, for when I have to leave her outside.

Get more straw for chicken coop. Open two bales of straw for the feathered piranhas to scatter; this will help to keep the soil from going sour when they're confined to their 15x17' yard.

Sue
Posted by: dweste

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/18/11 05:32 AM

Forage, harvest, collect: plants, slow-moving animals, and fungi.

Preserve same by dehydrating, water-bath canning [including pickling], and pressure-canning.

Thin out gear.

Get more firearm instruction.

Finish reading the Bible.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/18/11 11:54 AM

it is finally getting a little cooler down here, and makes outdoor activities more comfortable...extend my daily bicycle route a little

ride the scooter a little more..90 degrees at 80mph is like riding in a turbo oven..

shoot a little more practical rifle and 3 gun...work on reloading the Benelli (weak hand)

make a couple of Earth boxes to try my hand at gardening

add a little more expensive food stuff to my long term storage
Posted by: Susan

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/18/11 07:34 PM

Quote:
Forage, harvest, collect ... slow-moving animals...

So, how are you preparing the snails and slugs? Escargot paté?

Sue

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/19/11 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
Quote:

Sue

I am working on those [not yet]!

Clams, abakone, limpet, mussels, crabs, crawdads, plus all the animals capable of fast movement who don't notice me until it is a bit late for them [by definition they are at that moment slow-moving]!

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/19/11 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
Quote:

Sue

Snails of the sea are pretty good [such as abalone, limpets, moon snails, and turban snails], and I should and may try to figure out the terrestrial snails and slugs, but:

My working definition of a slow-moving animal is one I can harvest. That means any game animal that is slow-moving or stationary when I get in range, regardless of that animal's potential for fast movement.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/19/11 07:45 PM

For a moment I thought you were classifying docile elks as "snails".... which is just slightly more inaccurate than my definition of "indirect vegetarianism" (i.e. those animals I eat are for the most part vegetarian).
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/20/11 06:50 PM

Bi-annual resupply of my emergency food supply. Finish up the hygiene kit with viscous towels and shower shoes.
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/20/11 07:25 PM

Lots of projects in the works for this winter:

- Check and re-pack first aid supplies.
- Start working out at the new Crossfit gym that just opened near me.
- Bid out new roof for the house, and hopefully get the job done.
- As long as we're doing the roof, research putting some solar panels up there to cut down on the electric bill and make the wife feel good about being "environmental."
- Perhaps put in the wood stove / fireplace I've been wanting for the living room, but that will likely wait until next fall, unless really good things happen with my company!
- Manage to shoot my first deer to get some fresh venison in the freezer.

I'm sure there's more!
Posted by: desolation

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 10/27/11 05:28 PM

Continue to hit the gym with regularity.

Test for my brown belt in Kempo.

Get important documents in order and backed up.

Keep on having fun with home improvement projects.

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 11/01/11 04:31 PM

Adding fitness goals; mostly 30 mins of cardio a day.

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 11/22/11 05:42 PM

Started my Winter workouts... 4x a week of cardio

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 01/20/12 04:15 PM

Daily fitness ( walk, ride, weights). Rotate water, personal and car manitence.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 01/22/12 07:23 AM

Heck,Couldn't you re-roof yourself,that way you wouldn't have to go to the gym,Roofing is plenty of everything you'd acheive in the gym,& you'd save some bucks as well!
Posted by: ablesolutions

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 01/27/12 06:13 AM

We have portable battery power on wheels (like a hand truck) which makes it easy to move it from room to room and outdoors around the yard. However, it is NOT rechargeable by solar energy (yet). Our goal is to bring together the proper equipment to add the capability to fully recharge it (with solar energy) from empty to full, within 8 hours. Upon completion, we will report the details.
Posted by: Petersuang

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 02/07/12 09:24 AM

Well I have the same goals for winter and summer that is to do exercise for 45 minutes daily . I mostly do swimming and running .

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 02/15/12 11:11 PM

Now just 15 pounds from my lean weight!
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 02/16/12 03:46 PM

just got back from colonoscopy and endoscopy...good report... been putting it off for a little...don't..when you guys hit 50 see your doctor... the prep is worth the peace of mind

hint... if you are being scoped from both ends, offer to pay extra to clean off the scope real good.... prevents a bad taste in your mouth smile gets a chuckle from the nurses
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 02/28/12 05:36 AM

If you have a family history of issues (like polyps) the general advice is to start at 40.

You joke about cleaning, but wasn't there some VA hospital issue where instruments weren't being cleaned correctly???? Ewwwww!

Re: Goals for Fall & Winter - 07/10/12 04:46 PM

update...Weight is headed in the right direction...though very slowly. Losing 1-2 # per month.