Easy homemade sheath options?

Posted by: TeacherRO

Easy homemade sheath options? - 08/09/11 09:24 PM

Is there an easy way to make a new sheath? Leather is ok, but would prefer plastic (molded?) Is there a material I can buy?
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Easy homemade sheath options? - 08/09/11 09:36 PM

different thicknesses of thermoset plastics like kydex are available on line and hobby stores....brass rivets or brass machine post screws (Chicago or bookbinder screws) also available... I've built magazine pouches, heated in the oven or with an industrial heat gun

inexpensive machete sheath out of a piece of flattened PVC tubing
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Easy homemade sheath options? - 08/10/11 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
inexpensive machete sheath out of a piece of flattened PVC tubing

Could you please elaborate on this? What kind of tubing? How did you flatten?

Re: Easy homemade sheath options? - 08/10/11 02:20 AM

this is from memory, it went AWOL from the bed of a pick up... 16" Collins SA machete, approx 2"max blade width ...IIRC used a piece of 1.75" PVC tubing...heated it in a propane fired New Braunfels BBQ grill till pliable... flattened end of tube with 2x4... inserted blade as I worked the tube flat to keep from over flattening tube.... reheated once I had the preliminary shaping done, then reinserted blade with a folded piece of thin (non corrugated)cardboard to provide a little clearance, and clamped between two pieces 2x4 in a vise.. pop riveted a piece of webbing on for belt loop... trimmed to shape and finished on a sander
Posted by: Andy

Re: Easy homemade sheath options? - 08/10/11 06:30 PM

Here's a link to a site that sells all manner of items for sheath making. I haven't purchased from them so can't comment on their service.

Kydex sheath kit

Good luck!
Posted by: Nomad

Re: Easy homemade sheath options? - 08/10/11 08:17 PM

I have made many sheaths from discarded truck bed liner
Material. Heat and fold as needed.

Nomad.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Easy homemade sheath options? - 08/10/11 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
this is from memory, it went AWOL from the bed of a pick up... 16" Collins SA machete, approx 2"max blade width ...IIRC used a piece of 1.75" PVC tubing...heated it in a propane fired New Braunfels BBQ grill till pliable... flattened end of tube with 2x4... inserted blade as I worked the tube flat to keep from over flattening tube.... reheated once I had the preliminary shaping done, then reinserted blade with a folded piece of thin (non corrugated)cardboard to provide a little clearance, and clamped between two pieces 2x4 in a vise.. pop riveted a piece of webbing on for belt loop... trimmed to shape and finished on a sander

I have a couple of naked Tramontina machetes around. Thanks for the rainy weekend project

Re: Easy homemade sheath options? - 08/11/11 01:49 AM

Byrd_Huntr...if I were going to do it again, I'd use a couple of oven mitts ... gets pretty hot... and possibly rip a piece of wood slightly thicker than the blade to act as a mandrel to form on...I think a couple of "C" clamps would work better than a vise if you do not have help