Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc

Posted by: TeacherRO

Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 07/05/11 03:46 PM

Got a metal, clam shell type wallet, though I might use it for a small kit. Well...
It broke at the hinges after two days, and there is very little useable space inside. Not recommended.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 07/05/11 03:50 PM

I bought a travel wallet, since its designed to be used hard when going to other countries and carries a lifetime warranty. Was a little more expensive than those I used to buy from stores but it should last much longer.
I also bought a separate wallet for all those store discount cards, got tired of having to carry those around all the time, leave that set in the truck now except for the grocery ones that get used often, if I need the Dicks or cabellas card I just take it out of the truck before I go in the store.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 07/05/11 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I also bought a separate wallet for all those store discount cards, got tired of having to carry those around all the time, leave that set in the truck now except for the grocery ones that get used often, if I need the Dicks or cabellas card I just take it out of the truck before I go in the store.

I did the same but chose a slim book-type carrier designed to keep business cards.

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 07/08/11 05:14 PM

A tin (altoids or larger)or tupperware would work better..
Posted by: comms

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 07/10/11 10:11 PM

Alum wallet = $10 pepper popper

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 01/29/12 04:24 PM

Pretty much any other container would work better for my purposes - nylon wallet, altiods tin, tupperware..
Posted by: Russ

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 01/29/12 05:05 PM

Wasn't the idea behind an Aluma Wallet to block Radio-frequency identification (RFID) systems from reading the chips on your credit cards and other ID? Why else carry an aluminum wallet? I doubt an nylon wallet or tupperware could even begin to block RFID, although an altiods tin might work quite well.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 01/29/12 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I've been eyeing this wallet for RFID blocking. I have several cards which are RFID enabled.

I've never been a fan of the clamshell-type RFID-blocking wallets. It's like having a second smartphone in your pocket.

You can also buy RFID-blocking plastic film that is cut in the shape of a dollar bill. Slip that into your normal billfold and it should prevent theft via RFID of anything inside the film. Or if you only have a few RFID-enabled cards, you can buy little envelopes/sleeves to protect them in.

Except for proof-of-concept experiments, I can't recall ever reading about a real RFID theft, particularly one that involved multiple thefts. Seems that old fashioned hardware skimmers are still a bigger threat in terms of the number of ID thefts. Just recently, the Lucky supermarket chain in Northern California discovered that two dozen of its stores had ATM terminals with card skimmers installed inside them so they went undetected for a long time, until a technician was doing routine maintenance on a unit and discovered a problem. The chain estimates 500 customers were affected before they caught it.

Until someone can point me to an article that says at least 500 people have had their info stolen by RFID, it's still a lesser risk than skimmers.

And besides, the really big thefts are done without any customer actions at all. Doesn't matter how careful or sloppy we are or whether we shred our mail. By hacking databases or data streams between merchants and credit card processors, thieves vacuum up credit card info on thousands and thousands of people. That's the real threat.
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 01/29/12 08:29 PM

Probably, I remember someone tried wrapping aluminum foil around cards and his result was while it didn't completely prevent the signal, it severely reduced the range it can be read from.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 01/31/12 02:58 AM

Arney, I ve never before heard of a signal blocking film. Can you give us a source or a search term ?
Posted by: Arney

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 01/31/12 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
I've never before heard of a signal blocking film. Can you give us a source or a search term ?

One product in particular that I have seen is WalletGuard, which you can get here. Slip this film into your wallet or slip your credit card into the sleeve.

There is a government standard regarding using wallets that are shielded against RFID theft. You can search on "FIPS 201" to find products that have actually been certified to block RFID signals. That's not to say that non-certified products don't work, but it costs money to go through the certification process so many products have not been formally tested. Buyer beware.

The fact that there is a Federal standard that mandates the protection of RFID-enabled documents, like ID badges, passports, etc. certainly means that RFID theft is an issue, but FIPS 201 is for people in certain sensitive jobs or who travel to certain places for their jobs. The threat is a lot more focused for these people than it is for your average Joe walking around with a wallet full of RFID-enabled credit cards.

Again, I acknowledge that RFID theft can certainly be accomplished, I've just never heard of it being a real world problem for average people worried about their credit cards.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 02/01/12 10:22 PM

Arney, many thanx.
Posted by: spuds

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 06/26/12 03:58 PM

I got this wallet,dont know how well it blocks,reviews were good.It IS one fine leather wallet anyhow.40 bucks though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O4JKJK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 08/08/12 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

I wouldn't be surprised if putting a dollar bill sized strip of heavy aluminum foil into the billfold area of a wallet worked.

The same can be said for a hat - - - crazy
Posted by: Treeseeker

Re: Aluma Wallet fail - poss choice for edc - 08/08/12 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBOB

The same can be said for a hat - - - crazy

Thanks MoBOB, that gave me a good laugh!

Now we know the purpose of the tin foil in all the PSKs.