Anyone EDC a headlamp?

Posted by: TeacherRO

Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 04/30/11 08:30 PM

I find those headlights very useful and fairly compact. I may add one to my edc bag (briefcase) Ideas and suggestions?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 04/30/11 08:50 PM

Headlamps are great. It is always easy to carry a headlamp in your hand, if necessary, and it much harder to paste a flashlight to your head if you need your hands for other activities. I always have one in my "outdoor EDC","since I often would rather have my hands free when walking or climbing.

I have found them useful in other situations - even once in the office when working on the weekend and the lighting system kept cutting out, I simply donned my headlamp and kept plugging away, much to the amusement of my fellow workers. Headlamps are definitely useful when working on autos, etc.

Some of the better headlamps are produced by Princeton Tec (the EOS is my personal favorite, but I am not sure it remains in production), Black Diamond, and Petzl. All of these will give you bragging rights without the expenditure of disgracefully large amounts of coin. There are many other moderately priced models available as well. If you really need them, there are models selling for hundreds of dollars. Some of these are available in special kits that are adaptable for bicycle use, etc. (This is true of the EOS).

If you wish to go caving, a solid headlamp is virtually mandatory.

There are occasions where you do not want ot wear a headlamp. Occasionally on trails, the angle of the light will wash out irregularities on the trail, robbing you of any depth perspective. It can be quite disorienting. The problem is easily solved by simply transferring the headlamp to your hand, giving you a more useful angle.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 04/30/11 09:08 PM

I don't carry one every day but I have one with lithium batteries in the car. You can squeeze one into just about any car emergency kit because they are typically very small and weigh next to nothing.

Nothing beats a headlamp for changing a tire at night.

hikermor was right about the brands; Petzl, Black Diamond and Princeton Tec are the big sellers. Even Fenix and Surefire have got headlamps now.
Posted by: JOEL

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 04/30/11 10:31 PM

I have a small torch in my EDC (a Gerber Tempo) and it is modified to be used as a headlight if needed:

http://www.benvelo.com/flashlightholder_mini_1.htm

It's easy to do, and it works well.
Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 04/30/11 10:49 PM

I guess you could say I do, I carry an Energizer MLT1WAAE flashlight and have a Nite Ize headband that let's me use in as a head light if needed.
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/01/11 12:01 AM

Princeton tec EOS is my favorite, I even have a newest gen LED on the way to upgrade mine.

I don't EDC any though, don't use one often enough, rather have a flashlight instead.
Posted by: comms

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/01/11 12:04 AM

yup. Petzel e+lite always, usually have a tikka plus 2 in the bag somewhere.
Posted by: DaveT

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/01/11 05:28 AM

I have several of Target's "River Rock" brand of headlamps that are basically the clone of the Streamlight Enduro - runs of 2xAAA batteries, has a low, high and off cycle to its levels. Adequate for many of the tasks you'd want a headlamp for (walking around in the dark, working on something within arm's reach).

I'd like to transition to one of these:

Fenix HL20

or

Icon Irix

or maybe

Icon Irix II

I've begun transitioning all my flashlights over to AA or AAA, and I find that the flashlight "arms race" has reached a point where I'm ready to step off the constant quest for brighter, more powerful, and settle on "great output, great UI, common batteries."

I like that all three of these are 1xAA. The Fenix feels more solidly built. I do like the adjustable beam of the Icon headlamps, though.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/01/11 05:40 AM

I've been using a Streamlight headlamp for awhile now and really like it. Can't recall the model but it was about $28 from LAPoliceGear.com (no affiliation, just took advantage of a 15% off weekend sale a couple months back). It's very bright, supposedly waterproof and really comfortable. Time will tell how it holds up but so far so good. It does take CR123A batteries- that's a plus for me but may not be for everyone.

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/01/11 09:09 AM

The choice of battery type can be fairly significant. I prefer to standardize on one or two types of batteries. I have a weather radio and GPS that take AAA, so lights and headlamps that take that battery are desirable. It also helps that the battery is readily available and even more important, that rechargeable batteries are available. The use of rechargeable batteries results in significant cost and environmental savings.

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/01/11 11:51 AM

You can get a rechargeable in virtually every type of cell. Right now all my gear takes CR123A and I have at least 30 of them on hand. YMMV, of course.
Posted by: Paul D.

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/01/11 06:15 PM

I also carry a Petzl e+Lite in my bag at all times. Picked up two at the local Eddie Bauer when they had them on deep discount. (May have been a going out of business sale, can't remember.) Unless you buy online, the coin cells are pretty expensive, but they have a great shelf life and the little Petzl has an excellent switch system which makes it nearly impossible for it to accidentally turn on in the capsule.
Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/01/11 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Another good economical choice for an EDC headlamp are these....

From the Energizer "Outdoor" series. Runs on two coin cells. 8 lumens. Something like 20 hours. Lightweight. $5.00.

I have one in my car bag, great little light for the price!
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/01/11 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Another good economical choice for an EDC headlamp are these....

From the Energizer "Outdoor" series. Runs on two coin cells. 8 lumens. Something like 20 hours. Lightweight. $5.00.

I saw these at WalMart today. Almost bought one.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/01/11 10:21 PM

n my briefcase emergency kit, I carry a Princeton-Tec Scout headlamp + extra batteries. I also keep a Zebra Light SR-51 flashlight which also comes with a headband.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/01/11 11:15 PM

if you wear glasses... I EDC a Fenix E01 on my key ring... it comes with an extra "O" ring... if you roll the O ring to the rear of the flat, and then roll it forward over the temple arms and slip the small split ring over, it holds on pretty well

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/02/11 02:28 AM

Okay, found it- it's the Streamlight ARGO LED head light.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/02/11 02:29 AM

With few exceptions, like a helmet-mounted carbide lamp and electrical version for wet caves, I've generally avoided dedicated headlamps because they tend to be blocky, and bulky, and always in the way when you aren't wearing them. Instead, for kit use I've gone to small flashlights and used a Nite-Ize headband to hold them on the side of my head. Works pretty well. I have the compact and easy hand-use of a small flashlight and the hands-free use of a headlamp without the typical bulk.

That Energizer "Outdoor" unit might be small and compact enough to make me reconsider. The price is right up may alley also. I'd still need to look closely at it, knock it around a bit, maybe take one apart, to see if I'm getting a unit punching well over its weight for value and cost, or an overpriced paperweight.

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/02/11 02:46 AM

There are quite a few new generation headlamps that really solve the "bulk" issue. One of the ones most often discussed on Candlepower Forums are the various models of Zebralight. Some of these can be readily dismounted and used in exactly the same manner as a hand held light.

Art, you will be glad to know that Fenix makes a headlamp of this same general type - just for you....

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/02/11 05:52 AM

Mine isn't SOtA but it's pretty small and light and packs down to a compact size. And at roughly 60 lumens it packs enough punch to use in place of a "tactical" light in some situations.

And just as importantly it's really comfy even for long periods of use.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/02/11 06:50 AM

My BOB includes a small UK vizion 3AAA eLED diver's headlamp that also incorporates a red lens for more discrete night use, among other things.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/02/11 06:51 AM

My BOB includes a small UK Vizion 3AAA eLED diver's headlamp that also incorporates a red lens for more discrete night use, among other things.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/02/11 01:29 PM

My EDC flashlight is a 4Sevens Quark 123. I keep a Prism kit in my laptop bag to convert it into a headlamp. My BOB also contains a dedicated headlamp.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/03/11 09:16 PM

I use a zebralight AA headlamp. Very small, especially if you ditch the original headband for a shoestring plus a cord lock. (Shoestring = flat, somewhat flexible and does not tangle).

I also very rarely wear it on my head. When camping I use it as a chest lamp. Being a very wide flood light I still get light where I need it as long as I'm sitting or standing. It still works as a headlamp for those few situations where a chest lamp doesn't cut it, such as reading while lying down.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/04/11 01:39 AM

I carry a petzl e-light in my pocket or "purse". Hands-free is a brilliant option to have, and I love it's size and features.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/04/11 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Art, you will be glad to know that Fenix makes a headlamp of this same general type - just for you....

If I look around a bit I'm pretty sure I can find a unit machined out of pure unobtainium by cloistered, pure, unblemished virgins using a cyclotron driven by a donkey wheel. They sell for $100,000 each but it comes with a no-questions-asked warranty for 1000 years offering replacement or double your money back refund, your choice, providing you hand deliver the defective product to their service center on the dark side of the moon.

But think of the 'quality'. If you aren't willing to go with a 'quality' product you aren't serious about survival. You simply have to go with the best because ... <insert improbable situation where your life rides on a flashlight working here> ... could happen and then where would you be?

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/04/11 08:22 AM

Forget about Fenix, they are definitely middle of the road items. You want FoxFury products - headlamps and lighting products costing at least $100 and up - definitely specialized products made from unobtanium - don't know about the unblemished virgins........
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/06/11 09:56 PM

I still recommend the Brinkmann 2-pack for 1bout $10 or $11 at the Home Depot. They have two white and one red LED. They use 3 AAA batteries (included). I only have four of them. They are great. If/when you lose one, you are only out about $6.

Standard Disclaimer

My $.02
Posted by: cfraser

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/13/11 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I use a zebralight AA headlamp. Very small, especially if you ditch the original headband for a shoestring plus a cord lock....

I also very rarely wear it on my head. When camping I use it as a chest lamp...

Same here, except I made a "fancier" lanyard out of paracord, the original rubbery pocket clip (holds lanyard and lamp, clip for stability), and "those things that clamp on ID lanyards and fasten at your neck but don't come apart with normal pulling" lol.

By far the most useful lamp I've ever bought. I never would have thought of using a lamp this way, but then I've never had an angle-head lamp before. Tiny, light, one AA Eneloop lasts a long time on mid power, easy to hide below shirt.

Never even tried the Zebralight headband, forgot I had it. The size of the rubber adapter that holds the lamp to the headband is probably what originally kept me from carrying this in my small EDC kit. But this lanyard carry opened up a whole new world of uses and hands-free convenience for me.
Posted by: sealander

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/16/11 07:24 AM

Instead of a headlamp, I've got a solar powered cap - thin film solar panel on top of the brim, two LEDs underneath that point in the direction you're looking. (The general idea is you're hiking around in the sunshine all day and it charges up, but I leave it on the windowsill). Already been handy in two evening power outages in the last month, but mostly I got it because in winter I have to go tend the chickens in the dark, and it is very useful to have a hands free light when trying to catch a rooster who doesn't want to be put to bed smile
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/16/11 05:11 PM

My EDC is a PICO Light from EGear. Designed by some guy named Doug (I can't read the rest from my 10 or 15 of them ;-) For a headlamp (EDC carry) I have several EQ2, also from EGear. Those of Doug's design are better than the standard one, but both are great for those times you did not think you needed a light.

I have larger headlamps in my gear for outdoor use and in the bags in cars and at home.

The best,

Jerry
Posted by: Nomad

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/20/11 01:07 AM

I quit EDC headlamps one buggy night. Now I use a small conventional flashlight with a head band. OK if no bugs and easier to carry and use when there are bugs.

A bug in the eye is not fun.

Nomad

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/23/11 02:33 AM

Nomad, interesting point. I use headlamps over flashlights, (I EDC a LED minimag also)but when I am in high dust areas, like inside the Grand Canyon at night, I drop the headlamp to my sternum strap or hold in my hand. When dust kicks up, the light coming right over my eyes catches all the particles and makes it hard to see thru. Bugs would do the same as you point out.
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 05/31/11 12:28 PM

The equipped to survive main page used to sell one like this, which I purchased, and now they are available from many places:
Small headlamp

This is small enough for EDC, even in a suit, and the batteries are small and light as well. I like the yellow one that used to be sold on the equipped web site, easier to find in the dark.

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 08/01/12 05:52 PM

I'm adding headlamps to my toolkit and car kits. Probably $10 Energizer ones from Target - Nothin' fancy.
Posted by: Eastree

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 08/02/12 12:07 AM

I have three headlamps and two very reliable small flashlights that I keep either with me or nearby at all times. It's common for my job to lose power in a storm, or sometimes even high winds. Emergency lights at the perimeter of the walls aren't nearly enough. Having my own light works a lot better.

I've bought all my head lamps on the cheap, so they're not light cannons, nor are the headbands the best. But they do. My last two were purchased at a home improvement store for under $5 for the pair.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 08/02/12 02:50 AM

Mostly Harmless: interesting replacement headband idea for the Zebra Light. A few questions come to mind. Are you using a straight or angle head light? Are you using the cord lock to form a loop to hold the light and then tie the shoelace around you head? Or is it vice-versa? What kind of knot do you use and for which purpose? What length and width lace do you use? Do you mount the light at the side of your head or in front, on your forehead? I have the straight Zebra SC51. I'd like try your method out. Thanx in advance.
Posted by: Diosces

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 08/04/12 02:21 AM

I EDC a Petzl Tikka 2. It's actually a tool in my EDC bag that I use quite frequently when doing inspections, troubleshooting of HVAC systems at our med centers.

Works much better than a flashlight when looking above ceiling and in air handling equipment.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 08/05/12 07:59 AM

I have a zebra light as edc. A very handy little light,excellent floodlight with 3 settings of light strength.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 08/10/12 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Mostly Harmless: interesting replacement headband idea for the Zebra Light. A few questions come to mind. Are you using a straight or angle head light? Are you using the cord lock to form a loop to hold the light and then tie the shoelace around you head? Or is it vice-versa? What kind of knot do you use and for which purpose? What length and width lace do you use? Do you mount the light at the side of your head or in front, on your forehead? I have the straight Zebra SC51. I'd like try your method out. Thanx in advance.

Sorry for the late reply.

I have some kind of clip clamped onto the light itself. The shoe lace is held in place by that clamp. I use the cord lock to regulate the size of the loop around my neck, and if I want to use it as a headlamp I just put the loop around my head and tighten the coord loop. The only knot is a overhand knot to stop the shoe lace from sliding out of the cord lock.

Zebralight H51 are angled lights, yes, and the ligtht goes to the front of my forehead when used as a headlamp.

Note that you want a wide flooded light for a neck light or a flimsy headlamp setup (which it is). With a floody beam it really doesn't matter because you have light everywhere no matter how the light dangles around. A narrow beam will dance around in rather psychedelic patterns basically everywhere except where you need it.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 08/10/12 11:36 AM

I keep a keep a keychained sized LED in my pocket but my EDC bags, hiking and camping packs, GHB, Office BIB and family BOB each have at least one LED headlamp in them them. Handsfree is just such a blessing.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 08/11/12 07:57 AM

Petzl e+LITE is my favorite. Serving me very well as EDC for about 4 years. Very versatile construction, great belt carrying case.

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 08/11/12 01:57 PM

I just discovered I am EDCing two headlamps. I usually have a Zebra Light in my bag, and a Fenix LD01 on my keyring. I replaced the clip on the LD01 and stuck it on a ball cap brim. It works perfectly as a headlamp. With a lithium battery on medium power, i can hike all night.....

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 10/04/12 05:52 PM

All my kids are getting one for the Holidays...
Posted by: JPickett

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 10/04/12 07:56 PM

I have a Photon Microlight with the hands-free clip and necklace clip in a coin purse. I can wear the light as a headlamp with or without a cap.
Posted by: Quietly_Learning

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 10/04/12 10:41 PM

Right now both REI and Mountaingear have the Black Diamond Cosmo on sale for $20. I own it and I'm very happy with the light beam, battery life and small size.
It is 55 lumens and throws a beam 33 meters / 36 yards.

I shop at REI frequently.
I have not purchased from Mountaingear before (I received their catalog yesterday. If anyone uses them please let me know if you would recommend them.)

My outdoor EDC headlamps are the Cosmo and Black Diamond Storm.
(Two is one, one is none.)

My city EDC is a very small 11 lumens 25 m / 27 yd Princeton Tec Bot headlamp.
Plus a minimag with a terralux led and Doug's Pico.

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 10/05/12 12:48 AM

I am starting to EDC a ZebraLight 502 and I like it a lot. Right now it perches on my helmet during the pre-dawn bike commute. It will be carried regularly one way or another when i am not bike commuting.

It is a single AA light with three levels of brightness, which are adjustable. It is tiny, powerful, well made and dependable (so far), but not cheap (natch!)

If I could pack only one light source, it would be a headlight - far more versatile and useful than a typical handheld flashlight
Posted by: greenghost

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 10/05/12 02:13 AM

Sure have come a long way from the oil lamps on miners helmets huh?
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 10/05/12 06:06 AM

I keep a headlamp (white, red, & green lighting options) in my E&E Bag.

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 10/07/12 03:33 AM

I am sure I have chimed on this thread already. I usually carry a LED Maglite, and either my Black Diamond Storm (totally waterproof headlamp) or a Petzel e+lite.

Earlier this year I picked up a Tactical ballcap from a company called GORUCK. Best ball cap I have ever worn. One reason is under the brim is a soft liner for placing velcro patches and such. I stuck a velcro disk on a photon microlight and stuck it under the brim. Never even remember its there. But I can just reach up, press the button or flick the switch and 'let there be light'
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? - 10/07/12 01:14 PM

Petzl Zipka Plus 2 and a Petzl e-lite are in my purse.

I'm particularly fond of the Zipka, because of the retractable cord it can be worn as a headlamp, wristlamp or put on a hiking pole or whatever.