Wedding prep

Posted by: TeacherRO

Wedding prep - 04/29/11 03:39 PM

The royal wedding has me thinking...What to bring for a wedding day?
Assuming you are in a tux (or have a small purse) what do you pack?
Posted by: desolation

Re: Wedding prep - 04/29/11 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

An appetite, great thirst and a flask for the wedding party. (the other gear stays in the car)
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Wedding prep - 04/29/11 07:46 PM

The original question is tough. I originally thought "man bag", but not with a tux! (A nice man bag with a suit might be OK.)

With a tux, I'd bring minimal gear:
  • thin pocket knife
  • fauxton flashlight
  • car key (not full set of keys)
  • cell phone
  • money clip with credit card, ID, etc.
  • some business cards
  • square pocket (doubling as handkerchief)
  • sunglasses
  • 2 or 3 bandaids (Why not? They use no room.)
  • camera (if cell phone camera is insufficient)

Posted by: samhain

Re: Wedding prep - 04/29/11 09:46 PM

Cash.
condoms (I know, wishful thinking given the stress of the wedding day, but I can dream can't I?).
pocket knife (had to trim some threads...).
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Wedding prep - 04/29/11 10:55 PM

I guess we girls have a slight advantage. No pockets but purses, although there's not much room in a clutch bag (At least I think that's what those little purses are called.) and we are handicapped by those silly shoes!

Tylenol/advil, bandaids, hankie, small knife/multi-tool, micro photon, mini bic, compact with mirror, pack of lifesavers/few hard candies, cash, coin, condom...

Is lipstick flammable?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Wedding prep - 04/29/11 11:03 PM

You need hankies for the inevitable tears.....I must have passed out four or five at my brother's wedding.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Wedding prep - 04/29/11 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: samhain
Cash.
condoms (I know, wishful thinking given the stress of the wedding day, but I can dream can't I?).
pocket knife (had to trim some threads...).

Good start.

A knife with good scissors so nervous hands don't take a chunk out of a bridesmaid. Safety pins for those emergency repairs and alterations. Lighter for the cigars and candles. A bandanna has lots of uses. A small flashlight that rolls because rolling the light causes dropped jewelry and other items to sparkle.

A shotgun is handy for keeping feet warm.

Re: Wedding prep - 04/29/11 11:29 PM

You got me Art. Bad bridesmaid! safety pins ans some double-sided tape are a must!

Re: Wedding prep - 04/29/11 11:34 PM

If you have to give a speech of a toast, don't wing it. Write down and take a copy on cue cards.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Wedding prep - 04/29/11 11:52 PM

Prenup.

Re: Wedding prep - 04/30/11 12:01 AM

Double sided tape is a new one on me. Good idea.
Posted by: Basecamp

Re: Wedding prep - 04/30/11 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
The royal wedding has me thinking...What to bring for a wedding day?
Assuming you are in a tux ... what do you pack?

A Walther PPK 7.65 mm, of course.

The martini can be gathered in the library.

Cigars can be lighted with a candle.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Wedding prep - 05/02/11 02:25 PM

Any chance of any trouble at all I'd go for a pair of knuckle dusters and some running shoes.
"If the radio tells you to go to a disturbance at a wedding - don't go" old coppers saying.
It'll be a bloodbath. In a fight in a bar only the few involved join in; but at a wedding everyone is someones brother/son/uncle/daughter....
And if feelings are so high they'll start fighting at a wedding.....
qjs
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Wedding prep - 05/03/11 01:12 AM

By Far A Vitronox classic keychain Knife with a pair of scissors. Loose threads and such become common with my dress clothing and most females I know dress clothing.
Posted by: SonOfMartha

Re: Wedding prep - 05/03/11 04:09 AM

I was at a wedding where a bridesmaid got a spot of blood on the bodice of her dress. A few drops of hydrogen peroxide dissolved it immediately and saved her considerable embarrassment. I pack an eyedropper of H2O2 in my luggage to disinfect small wounds (though H2O2 has fallen from favour with medical types).
Posted by: Susan

Re: Wedding prep - 05/03/11 04:53 AM

BacPakJak...

"...there's not much room in a clutch bag..."

Let me give you a little tip for hands-free and shoulder-free carry: thigh-high single leg pantyhose w/o the panty part.

The very comfortable wide elastic bands can carry a multitude of stuff tucked into them if you don't wear extremely tight skirts of extremely thin fabric: folding cash, condoms, tampons, a flat lighter, Photon, lip tube of Vasoline (for firestarting -- what did you think?). You can wear the flat stuff in front, but you'll have to shift the bulkier stuff to the inside a bit.

A small handgun like a "Baby Browning"/Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket Pistol could fit okay, but it may shift a bit, so you'll probably have to wear a fuller skirt, and be prepared to shift it occasionally (discretely, of course) after dancing or walking much. (I tried it with a small Beretta, but 5" is just a bit too bulky.)

I strongly suggest going with the widest band you can find, both for comfort and "storage" room.

Sue

Re: Wedding prep - 05/03/11 11:21 AM

Thanks Sue! Reminds me of that scene in Miss Congeniality where Sandra Bullock starts pulling out her guns to go into hair and make-up.

I'd much prefer to have gear on me than in a purse. I'm very likely to forget and leave that behind! No worries about a tight skirt here either. wink
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Wedding prep - 05/04/11 06:33 AM

Don't go without a nice fountain pen and some paper in your pocket.
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Wedding prep - 05/04/11 06:34 AM

And don't forget the car kit:

Obtain a spare car key (in advance)
miles of 550
old tins
shaving cream
confetti
rice
balloons
hydrogen gas (optional)
a moose head (or similar) - stuffed
cardboard or poster card
thick markers, multi coloured
gaffa tape
streamers

and then there’s the luggage kit, things which the bride and groom may have neglected to pack for themselves, but you could add to their bags for them .......
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Wedding prep - 05/04/11 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Susan
BacPakJak...

Let me give you a little tip for hands-free and shoulder-free carry: thigh-high single leg pantyhose w/o the panty part.

The very comfortable wide elastic bands can carry a multitude of stuff tucked into them if you don't wear extremely tight skirts of extremely thin fabric: folding cash, condoms, tampons, a flat lighter, Photon, lip tube of Vasoline (for firestarting -- what did you think?). You can wear the flat stuff in front, but you'll have to shift the bulkier stuff to the inside a bit.

A small handgun like a "Baby Browning"/Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket Pistol could fit okay, but it may shift a bit, so you'll probably have to wear a fuller skirt, and be prepared to shift it occasionally (discretely, of course) after dancing or walking much. (I tried it with a small Beretta, but 5" is just a bit too bulky.)

I strongly suggest going with the widest band you can find, both for comfort and "storage" room.

Sue

Sue, that ain't lady like.
The proper thing to do is to ask your partner to shoot the oaf for you.
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Wedding prep - 05/04/11 11:51 AM

At my Brother in Laws wedding last year I had on me

the DR PSP
leatherman wave
two bandanas
6 bandaids
small flashlight
10ft of 550 cord
My little pony toy (I was in charge of the flower girls grin)

I used everything, even the duct tape and a sparklight tinder tab. When none of the guests smoke you end up being the "Man" when you can produce fire!

Re: Wedding prep - 05/04/11 07:34 PM

> "Sue, that ain't lady like. The proper thing to do is to ask your partner to shoot the oaf for you."

Sometimes the partner and the oaf are one and the same. Then what? wink

Sue
Posted by: RayW

Re: Wedding prep - 05/04/11 09:02 PM

> "Sue, that ain't lady like. The proper thing to do is to ask your partner to shoot the oaf for you."

Sue

Then you bat your baby blues at him, ask to borrow his, and then shoot him with his own.

Re: Wedding prep - 05/04/11 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RayW
Then you bat your baby blues at him, ask to borrow his, and then shoot him with his own.

Small Change got rained on with his own thirty-eight.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Wedding prep - 05/04/11 11:01 PM

BacPakJak...

Sue

Why doesn't this forum have the "this thread is useless without pics" emoticon wink

Re: Wedding prep - 05/04/11 11:48 PM

>

Sue

LOL! Ever the partner's dilemna!

Re: Wedding prep - 05/06/11 10:15 AM

The brutal reality of fighting the Taliban has taught Prince Harry there is some gear you must NEVER be without:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/862340-princ...ridesmaid-happy

Re: Wedding prep - 05/06/11 10:20 AM

Second try:
The brutal reality of fighting the Taliban has taught Prince Harry there is some gear you must NEVER be without:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/862340-princ...ridesmaid-happy

Re: Wedding prep - 05/06/11 12:58 PM

Re: ESSENTIAL combat equip...
qjs
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: Wedding prep - 05/26/11 02:20 PM

In 1997 a modified Pocket Medic (I now carry an Ultralight .5) came in handy at Lisa's bachelorette party and wedding. Not only did it patched up a couple of scraped knees at the bachelorette party but a safety pin was employed in an emergency dress repair and my youngest sister had a headache at the reception.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Wedding prep - 05/26/11 05:05 PM

Asprin,
needle and thread,
safety pins.
Lighter.
Multitool/SwissChamp,
Small powerful torch.

It's remarkable how many Ladies head in my direction with on hand clamped firmly over the embondiment and a very determined look......

And the torch is dead useful for finding dropped contact lenses etc under the table.

Re: Wedding prep - 05/27/11 05:16 AM

>A Walther PPK 7.65 mm, of course.

There's a good value range of 'PP's: Makarovs.

Actually the best thing I'd give the groom or bride at a wedding is the advice 'don't let the photographs keep you long'.
Practically every wedding I've been to was ruined by the bride and groom being made stand for ages while they got embarrassed and people got bored.
I simply walked away after 5 minutes.
qjs
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Wedding prep - 05/27/11 06:38 AM

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
>A Walther PPK 7.65 mm, of course.

There's a good value range of 'PP's: Makarovs.

Actually the best thing I'd give the groom or bride at a wedding is the advice 'don't let the photographs keep you long'.
Practically every wedding I've been to was ruined by the bride and groom being made stand for ages while they got embarrassed and people got bored.
qjs

A good solution to that problem is to take the bride and groom pics by a professional (or a skilled friend) at a different time and location. If your wedding party is at a different location than the wedding ceremony you have a time slot which can be used for photos. Or take them before the ceremony, when everyone isn't tired or fed up. (Against tradition, perhaps - but since no one is around except the bride, groom, the photographer and a friend or two, no one is going to object).

There will still be some photo sessions of all the guests and all, but with the bride+groom pics out of the way those family photos can be done fairly quick. At least if you a) promise everyone that wants it an electronic copy of the assigned photographer, b) have someone with loud voice and the right mix of authority and diplomacy organize the photo session. You do NOT wait for Aunt Hilda's geriatric hands to fumble with all the buttons of her new camera - she either snaps when she has the opportunity or receives electronic copies of your skilled friends DLSR high quality pics.

Re: Wedding prep - 05/27/11 10:16 PM

Quote:

He was the groom.....

Re: Wedding prep - 05/28/11 06:19 AM

Thanks Susan I should have explained that. Good to know you are stalking me :-)
qjs
Posted by: dweste

Re: Wedding prep - 05/28/11 10:02 PM

I am obviously not man enough to stay out of this fray, apologies all.

You have your EDC and your BOB is in the car. This should suffice in all but the most trying of circumstances.

However, as God apparently loves fools, as inferred from his / her / it having made so many of them, trying circumstances do occur. Forget the sensibility of the Rule of Threes or carefully thought out categories of survival gear, this is a fight or flight situation governed by the hind-brain we share with animals of supposedly lesser intellect.

Flight.

Often impossible without unwelcome social sanction, especially from one's significant other and family.

However you may scamper if you can get everyone else, including the wedding party, both of their families, and whoever is officiating, too drunk to care ....

Simulated acts of God with sufficiently major sound and visual effects can work as distractions - but only once: too much pesky explaining to do and no hope of trying it at a second event.

In any event you must loudly complain after-the-fact that you are not in any of the pictures!

Fight.

I hate to give up "A" material [or to have it traced back to me], so you did not hear it from me.

Lurid pictures of one of the couple-to-be-joined discretely left several places where they are sure to be found by their parents, the person designated to tie the official knot, and, most importantly, the biggest gossip in the place, can prompt a significant re-schedule. Photoshopping in a prominent guest may be required for effectiveness.

[Don't be stupid and just use a photo of the innocent about-to-be-newlyweds practicing for the honeymoon or work in the sex trade. That just shows you are unclear on several concepts, perhaps including a major reason for the timing of the nuptuals. It could just stiffen the resolve of many to use the sweep-it-under-the-ruglike hoped-for-sanctity, etcetera.]

Render the location uninhabitable, preferably in a temporary sense. Use natural, self-destructing timers or remote triggers, of course. [Consult with Blast or other suitabler expert as needed by PM; deal with witnesses in your customary manner. If you have not previously been this desperate, or not been trained by government service in this realm, then reconsider the flight options].

Direct confrontation and challenge to an immediate, honorable physical resolution of some fictitious but at least barely plausible insult, can work in the odd case. But you may find it is you who are considered the odd case and in a one-sided scrum with those highly motivated for the event to continue, or the authorities, or both. At least this will usually get you out of having to further witness that which you have chosen to oppose. I must caution this tactic has many potentially unfortunate consequences for your reputation, livelihood, etcetra. On second thought, get your sibling drunk and set them up for this.

Wardrobe malfunction has recently received a great deal of publicity and is a classic. In this let your imagination be your guide, but for heaven's sake, direct your attention to the bride's outfit as almost no one evens cares about the state of groom's attire. The more subtle approach would be to somehow contrive the complete absence of the wedding dress. Be advised that if detected and linked to you, either tactic may be seen as felonies punishable by immediate assault with fingernails and dress shoe heels by concerned female attendees.

-----

On the other hand, if you should for some reason find yourself in favor of the union, then first, beware all the above. You undoubtedly know who the usual suspects are, but if too dense to know, you are a guy and need to ask yor significant other.

Be sure to invite at least some EMT's, serving law enforcement, and, if all possible, your mom. In combination, they have everything needful close at hand and can get anything back on track.

Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Wedding prep - 05/31/11 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

needle and thread,
safety pins.

I had one of the credit card sized sewing kits at my junior prom. VERY, VERY, usefull.

Sewing kit
Pen light
Notepad + pen
Any tool with a corkscrew, bottle opener, and scissors.
Pepto bismal, rolaids, and asprin tablets
Moleskin (dancing in heels = blisters)

Re: Wedding prep - 05/31/11 11:15 AM

A gentleman might think of not only his own hygiene in general, but of those items intended to make any post-whatever romance statistically of less consequence for those involved. It is rumored that weddings are one of those events which stir female passions and make them suppress briefly their better judgment about such things as the somewhat more cavalier attitude of the opposite sex toward, well, sex.

It might not hurt to contemplate such things for your EDC, if they are not already included in your "be prepared" kit.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Wedding prep - 05/31/11 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
A gentleman might think of not only his own hygiene in general, but of those items intended to make any post-whatever romance statistically of less consequence for those involved. It is rumored that weddings are one of those events which stir female passions and make them suppress briefly their better judgment about such things as the somewhat more cavalier attitude of the opposite sex toward, well, sex.

It might not hurt to contemplate such things for your EDC, if they are not already included in your "be prepared" kit.

What excuses, sorry, explanations, should I have in my EDC for when my Wife discovers them? shocked
Posted by: Eric

Re: Wedding prep - 05/31/11 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_R

What excuses, sorry, explanations, should I have in my EDC for when my Wife discovers them? shocked

No, really, those are for carrying water. What else would I need them for?

(the above best said with a perfectly straight face or maybe a slightly puzzled look)

Of course that could get you in hot water also. shocked

-Eric

Re: Wedding prep - 05/31/11 10:45 PM

You carry emergency gear primarily to help others in need. What if one of your wife's friends was thinking of doing something, perhaps something your wife would advise against, where certain supplies could drastically reduce the potential negative consequences? What if it were one of your adult children?

Need an excuse? I should say not. Rather you should, with maximum subtlety and indirection, allow your wife to wonder why she does not carry such things as a concerned and prepared friend and parent.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Wedding prep - 06/03/11 04:28 PM

Some insights gleaned from attending my nephew's recent wedding (he was the ringbearer at mine and DW's wedding).

what I brought:
knife: EDC - wasn't used but still good idea to bring it (note: there was a small swisstech pliers attached that were not used)
light: EDC - not used but again good idea to bring
mints: the mini tin is my EDC, added a bigger tin as well - not used until the reception when we finished eating
hankerchief: added, had 4 on me (not used); DS had 2 on him until he handed one to teary-eyed DW (note I normally EDC a garbage bag wrapped with a bandanna - I opted to eliminate this in favor of the extra hankys)
pocket tissues: added, mine not used but DW had some that were used
note: there were tears, but the wedding was held in the same building/room as the reception so we were already sitting at tables. Also, if you ADD items, you have to remember you have them with you before you think to give them to somebody. blush
billfold: EDC, dollars for the dollar dances
lip balm: EDC, not used
keys: EDC, not used other than for the car
Flat bottle of tums: EDC, not used until after I ate (personal issues, not bad food)
Appetite: EDC, definitely was used
great thirst: EDC, was used but only for non-alcoholic beverages

what I didn't bring:
flask: no alcohol at the wedding except a few bottles for the wedding party/toast (figured it would be in bad taste if I tried bringing my own)
condoms: I would definitely not be trying to explain those to DW (though others have mentioned good reasons for including them - and if you're single why not)
mini-kit: wouldn't have been used anyway
FAK: luckily we didn't need it
sewing kit: again we luckily did not need it
lighter (or other firestarter): didn't need it
gun: didn't need it

I'll be adding/subtracting (for the next wedding):
Add FAK: a small fak with OTC pain meds and bandaids or moleskin - for blisters from dancing at the reception and any other boo boos
Add small flat sewing kit: a great idea, especially if it includes (or add) safety pins
Minus Large mint tin: stick with just the small one
minus large SAK knife: take smaller SAK instead (yet another knife purchase, DW will kill me)

One more important consideration. Like ireckon said keep it minimal, especially if you are actually in the wedding. blush

Re: Wedding prep - 06/03/11 05:15 PM

Tell her that you want to relive what happened when you first met?
whistle grin

Re: Wedding prep - 06/03/11 05:30 PM

You have got to carry your EDC. Because a) your S.O. know's that you have it and b) when some thing goes pear shaped your S.O is going to stand there giving you that "Well....?" look.

Mind you: She is also going to exercise her bragging rights about why she married / is going to marry you.......
grin
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Wedding prep - 06/03/11 06:10 PM

Quote:

If your the best man, then a good speech is a prerequisite; wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXpmHuCE9Ls
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Wedding prep - 06/06/11 06:12 PM

1 wedding down
Items used - pen, safety pin, spare shirt

Items forgotten: sharpie, sunscreen(!)
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Wedding prep - 06/07/11 01:16 PM

Ah, a case for matching equipment to environment?