Bug out RV

Posted by: TeacherRO

Bug out RV - 04/07/11 05:56 PM

rolling mongolian xanadu
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Bug out RV - 04/07/11 06:35 PM

How do I sign up to trade my house for one of these?
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Bug out RV - 04/07/11 07:31 PM

If you can afford it, all well and good.

Wonder what it runs on (probably all fuel diesel turbine) and what's the "gas" mileage. (An M1 tank gets 3 gals per mile, iirc and you can't follow closely or the paint on your car gets melted - trust me on that)

Still, betcha I can think of a way to incapacitate it in about 3 minutes, then where are ya bunky?

I'd prefer a lower profile.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Bug out RV - 04/07/11 10:01 PM

Rigs like this are interesting. Instead of looking at an outdoors pursuit as a chance to get away from civilization and get some exercise in the outdoors, they spare no expense to bring civilization along with them.

Most, if not all, outdoor environments offer superior programming to that available on any boob tube, IMHO.
Posted by: desolation

Re: Bug out RV - 04/08/11 02:59 PM

My BOV looks a lot like this one (random internet photo):

You still get plenty of exercise pushing it up the hills. smile
Posted by: Ironwood

Re: Bug out RV - 05/25/11 03:28 AM

Seriously though, I am building a serious RV trailer, "BOT" of sorts, from a VERY high end ambulance box. 5052 aluminium alloy extrusion throughout and insulated. 8' x 8' x 12'. It will sit on a single axle with 17.5" tires good for 6000# each and a GVW of 8000#. The unit will be able to haul the full tire capacity of 12,000# (during a BO I dont think DOT will try to scale me). I am upgrading my truck currently as well, F-350/450/550 crew cab. I have three young children and think it is wise to have a contigency plan to be able to GO. My plan is for a full diesel unit (including modest power generation) capable of 3000-5000 mile non-stop (fuel anyhow) travel. I do (did) alot of adventure travel before the kids,driven to Mexico City 4 times, and all over the US and some of Canada. As they age we plan to do alot of road tripping and adventure travel with them, to that end this unit will help as a "non-conventional RV". We will likely be the "talk" of any camp ground we roll into. I am fabricating/ scavenging nearly all of it myself, avid welder, fabricator and general inventor. I also plan to use it as a teaching tool for my oldest (9), he will be our assistant in the photovoltaics and general technology stuff.

So while the lumbering beasts shown bring some things into question, I think a BOV can be capable (towing, and supplies etc...) of creating a good to better Survival Tool.

Ironwood
Posted by: LED

Re: Bug out RV - 05/25/11 07:33 AM

Really nice, but this thing is for normal RVing only. No way you're gonna take that thing on the road during an all out crisis, especially if its dangerous. Its one giant target for thieves. I'll take a pickup with a small camper attached, thanks.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Bug out RV - 05/25/11 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By: LED
I'll take a pickup with a small camper attached, thanks.

Posted by: bws48

Re: Bug out RV - 05/25/11 11:31 AM

I'd really like this Russian amphibious 6 wheel truck with the high flotation tires. It can also be fitted with an outboard engine. Video of Arctic, off-road and water use; even the polar bear seemed to like it. . .you can even run over your buddies and not hurt them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0IpUaGzs0&feature=player_embedded#at=30

Re: Bug out RV - 05/25/11 01:16 PM

That would be a little out of my budget. My $600 camper will do for now smile
Posted by: Susan

Re: Bug out RV - 05/25/11 05:43 PM

Eugene is right, IMO.

If a disaster strikes and you have to get home 20-30 miles on foot, you sure don't want to be the rich-guy standout. You want to blend in with all the other people trying to get home.

If the S really HTF and you do need to bug out, I would say the same concept applies: the low profile. If you're well-off, have money and goods, you want to look like everyone else, just like a homicidal maniac.

Sue
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Bug out RV - 05/26/11 12:03 AM

Would anyone else consider having nice new shiny camping gear in a nice new crisp clean kelty pack a massive sore thumb situation?

Re: Bug out RV - 05/26/11 02:17 AM

Worse than sticking out is that the gear has probably never been tested. I'm guessing surprises in a bug out are probably a bad thing.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Bug out RV - 05/26/11 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Would anyone else consider having nice new shiny camping gear in a nice new crisp clean kelty pack a massive sore thumb situation?

I have a variety of backpacks and rucksacks ranging from military surplus to a new Kelty Redwing that I got for my birthday. I am currently in the process of beating that one up. I believe that no matter if you carry your 'stuff' in a shiny new technical pack or a stolen shopping cart, the fact that you have 'stuff' will make you a target of those who don't. That said, you don't want to look like an exclusive sporting goods store model either. If you have to travel, travel light, wearing and/or concealing what you have. Depending on the situation, if you can shelter in place and protect your shelter, your odds of survival improve IMHO.

Re: Bug out RV - 05/27/11 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I have a variety of backpacks and rucksacks ranging from military surplus to a new Kelty Redwing that I got for my birthday. I am currently in the process of beating that one up. I believe that no matter if you carry your 'stuff' in a shiny new technical pack or a stolen shopping cart, the fact that you have 'stuff' will make you a target of those who don't. That said, you don't want to look like an exclusive sporting goods store model either. If you have to travel, travel light, wearing and/or concealing what you have. Depending on the situation, if you can shelter in place and protect your shelter, your odds of survival improve IMHO.

I Agree, Thats why the pack mule look would make you stick out more. People see you have things all over you it instantly sends a signal to them that you have "This this and this" in full sight and since its not in your pack your pack must be stuffed with more goodies till the seams are stretching. Looking like a seasoned camper with the special camp shirts and hats and such does sound like a bad idea aswell....Hmmmmmm... I wonder how many people here have regular clothing for BOB situations

Re: Bug out RV - 05/27/11 10:32 PM

If you're having to bug out, you need to carry some gear. NOT carrying gear because you fear someone will take it from you seems to be counter-productive. Traveling in a group should make you look less attractive to the lower life forms, esp if most of the group were carrying some sturdy 'walking staffs'.

Of course, having a convoy of vehicles with machine guns mounted near the sun roofs might have a neutralizing effect, too.

Sue

Re: Bug out RV - 05/31/11 02:03 AM

I hear what most of you are saying, but one size doesnt fit all. The potential "event" runs a continum from mild to severe. Running out of a hurricane's way varies greatly from an all out SHTF nuclear explosion.

For me, already semi-rural, my BOP is to stay in place unless we are in a fallout pattern from radiation to chemical (plants in south are great targets and upwind from us). We also have some nuc plants in our three state region.

Ironwood
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Bug out RV - 05/31/11 06:18 PM

although insured, there are some personal possessions I don't really want to have to salvage from under a pile of wet lumber that was once my house...I'm in the market for a heavy duty open utility trailer anyway.... my evacuation location is about 20 miles and built to post Andrew code...an 8 foot trailer could provide transport for the motorcycle and tremendously increase my potential to transport valuable cargo ... a ridge pole, tarp, and some mosquito netting would make a temporary portable dry platform for post storm recovery if the house were damaged...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Bug out RV - 05/31/11 07:15 PM

I wonder where everybody is 'bugging out' to?
The whole countryside will be crawling with 'survivalists'.
Does anyone of the out-buggers consider the circumstance that the whole country is setteld and locals will object to some yahoos invading their space?
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Bug out RV - 05/31/11 07:32 PM

mpb, I think I can safely speak for many of us ETSers, that we're not planning to bug out, except in highly unique and unusual circumstances. (BTW - that's one of the things I like about this forum.) For example, I live and work near two nuclear plants. Should the worst happen there, my family isn't sticking around. We also live by a major highway and national railline. There are frequently localized, temporary evacuations along those lines. Should something like that happen in our town, we'd have no choice but to leave. Other than those scenarios, we'd likely bug-in.

That said, it doesn't hurt to have a plan for those rare events that will hopefully never happen. Trying to figure it out in the heat of the moment might not be the best plan.
Posted by: KenOTBC

Re: Bug out RV - 05/31/11 07:56 PM

Australians love camping, and a huge camping accessory over here is the Camper Trailer. Basically a tent on a trailer which cost between $5,000 to $50,000 depending on levels of comfort. Even the basic models can come with built in kitchen, water tanks, jerry can holders for extra fuel etc and often they have been built with a go anywhere attitude for the Aussie bush (i.e. they are TOUGH). They are also really common and won't stick out. I am looking at one for camping (it takes half a day to load the car for camping to the levels of comfort my wife likes) but it would also serve as a bug-out RV. Check out http://www.campertrailers.org/ for more info on them.

If we ever get a really strong bad weather warning, I will evacuate. I won't think about the evac centres as I will be taking my dogs and cats with me. Being quite new to this part of Australia we don't know many people yet, certainly nobody local with a cyclone proof house, so we would head inland with the camping gear and / or south to family. Luckily we would get plenty of notice for a cyclone and we would make an early decision to leave. Having all our gear pre-loaded so all we would have to worry about is loading up some food, the dogs and cats and some clothes would be a huge bonus as the traffic would get bad and leaving early would be key. The people in the country would welcome the extra trade with open arms.

It would only be a short term thing. Trying to be a long term survivalist in the Aussie bush isn't really an option, at least with my skillset. If the house did get totally wrecked we would still come back to town and find temp accommodation then (we have friends for that!).

Re: Bug out RV - 06/01/11 05:40 AM

Yes, bugging out is most likely to be a short-term event: wildfire, home fire, flood, hurricane, toxic spill, etc.

But if your home was destroyed, you still have the land, so you could bring the trailer home and live out of it. Having to repair or rebuild is expensive enough... having to repair/rebuild and pay rent for another residence (while leaving your property unguarded) wouldn't be my recommendation.

Sue

Re: Bug out RV - 06/01/11 10:00 AM

Originally Posted By: mpb
Does anyone of the out-buggers consider the circumstance that the whole country is setteld and locals will object to some yahoos invading their space?

Depends on the situation. I've known people who had to bug out of their house because it caught fire and another who did because they lost power for a week. These are small situations where they bugged out to the nearest hotel.
Larger situation we have a family farm 250 miles away, we cna stay in the house but if the situation is bad enough it could take a while to get there. My camper replaced a truck cap because as another said it takes half a day to load a vehicle full of supplies but half an hour for a fully stocked camper.

Re: Bug out RV - 06/01/11 01:20 PM

We experience fairly frequent "bug out" events here is SoCal, especially during wildfire season. The ARC and other organizations will establish shelters which are then way underutilized because the buggers go about as far as a handy motel, park, or friend/relative. In the case of some of our larger wildfires, those displaced have run into the thousands - they are simply absorbed by the infrastructure.

We have relatives about 120 miles distant. that would be our preferred destination if we have to leave, and we have good friends even closer who might take us in. The situation is reciprocal if they have to bug.

Re: Bug out RV - 06/05/11 03:13 AM

LesSnyder,

A heavy duty single axle utility trailer? I have one word, BUTLER. I have two Butlers here one is 5.5' x 10 the other 6' x 12, and they are both tilting decks and single axle with brakes (one surge , one electric) and 16" tires. One is 5700 GVW the other is 7000 GVW. I haul a small Yanmar crawler/ crane/ dump bed unit with them and they are NICE. I found them both used from a Verizon Fleet Auction site. They used them for Ditch Witches, I paid about 800 for one and 1000 for the other. You cant beat these units. I have full steel cased G Series Goodyear tires on both (full steel is just like a tractor trailer tire, and only Goodyear makes them in this 16" size) There is then NO squirm or sway. One is diamond plate decked the other is wood. I modified them for side pockets and winch mounts at the front and d-ring tie downs at 6 points to expiedite my use.

Ironwood
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Bug out RV - 06/05/11 10:26 AM

Ironwood... thanks for the tip...I've been using a 16' Crown and is a little large for my Explorer Sport (and overkill for the job)... mainly to haul a 48inch cut John Deere lawnmower

Re: Bug out RV - 06/05/11 02:05 PM

No worries, I dont know Crown, but there are alot of trailers out there. In the "competetive" market MANY manufacturers have moved to VERY marginally made Chinese axles. Look for DEXTER, they are THE standard by which all others are compared. I can source a 20 year old axle from a scrap yard, pull the serial # and they can usually tell me original purhaser, use and HAVE current parts availability, parts are also common at any parts stores for Dexter. MANY people are dumbfounded when buying cheap trailers then needing even simple brake parts and finding they must replace the WHOLE axle because parts are not available or are COMPLETELY junk. FYI, many older small to medium trailer axles ARE Dexter, even if there is no serial # tag riveted to the center axle tube (common on bigger ones, 8-12K).

Ironwood (15 trailers here)
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Bug out RV - 06/05/11 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Ironwood
Ironwood (15 trailers here)

You are to trailers what HikinJim is to stoves. Now you have to blog about them.

(for me it would be flashlights)

Re: Bug out RV - 06/05/11 07:09 PM

I never am at a loss of uses for trailers, arches (for urban log moving), and such. No blog yet, but certainly know trailers.

Ironwood
Posted by: cliff

Re: Bug out RV - 06/09/11 08:05 PM

mpb:

I read through your posts so far, and it seems your primary raison d’etre is to snark. If you do not like the subject matter discussed here, that is your right. But our Forums and our members take great pride in keeping the tone of our discussions civil, friendly, and on message - even when we disagree. So I ask, in my most polite MODERATOR voice possible, that you do the same.

And understand, while I can'tspeak for all, the vast majority of us at ETS are not "survivalists". Survivalists prepare for the end of the word as we know it, and it won't be coming back. If we need such a moniker, call us "Preparers". We try to be prepared for emergencies, big or small, to bridge the time between when a disaster strikes and the time of rescue and/or the reestablishment of normal order. We do not anticipate the end of civilization; in fact, that civilization will still be to rescue us or be reestablished in a reasonable time folling calamity is central to any preparedness plans we make.

As a person who has survived too many hurricanes (Betsy, Camille, Katrina, Rita, Gustav to name a few) I understand the value of being prepared. We have sufficient supplies at home to tide us through 4 days without power or water, and when storms come we always prepare ‘bug-out’ bags for all in case we have to evacuate. In south Louisiana that is not over the top. That is common sense. SO is teaching your child what to do if they are lost in the woods, and what to have with them in case that happens.

Again, if you are here to contribute to ETS, please do so. But, if you are here just to be an annoyance, I got this big red MODERATOR button. You have already been reported to me twice.

.....CLIFF
(like, who else?)
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Bug out RV - 06/10/11 02:46 PM

Well put, and thanks Cliff.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Bug out RV - 06/10/11 03:49 PM

Cliff,
there is a difference in being real and being over=the-top.
You must agree to that at least.

As a rural property owner I resent people (outsiders) coming into my county to set up shop. So do most others.
I see the need of someone telling the 'dreamers' on here what real people think and do.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Bug out RV - 06/11/11 01:48 AM

mpb,

Bugging out, at least in the typical usage here on ETS, is not equal to going and squatting on someone else's property without an invitation.

Bugging out is what you do when you see something coming that you can't safely ride through (like a hurricane or wildfire) or what happens after a fire or tornado. You need to have the means to make do somewhere away from your home base until you can return or otherwise get back on your feet.

Most likely scenarios for me (and quite a few of us here) would be staying in a motel, staying with family or friends or possibly in a shelter or a tent in someones back yard (with permission).

I have not seen anyone on this forum seriously advocate trespassing except under the most extreme conditions and even then it is a subject that is usually carefully discussed, often in hypothetical worst case scenarios. I think it is very appropriate to point out and discuss the hazards of trespassing during these discussions. I suspect and hope that is the point you are trying to address.

-Eric

Re: Bug out RV - 06/11/11 03:28 AM

Cliff,
I see the need of someone telling the 'dreamers' on here what real people think and do.

One of the great things about ETS is the wealth of real world experience members bring to the forum. If you're so experienced as a navy seal/fireman/backwoods guru/trauma surgeon/etc... maybe you could share that knowledge in a constructive way. Talk is cheap as they say.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Bug out RV - 06/11/11 04:48 AM

Wow! I'm at a loss here,Could you be so kind as to educate everyone to what Real people think & do? mpb? What County do you live in?

Re: Bug out RV - 06/12/11 09:10 PM

Cliff,

As a rural property owner I resent people (outsiders) coming into my county to set up shop. So do most others.

So Your the kinda person that would kick the puppy?
Posted by: philip

Re: Bug out RV - 06/13/11 12:51 AM

We were camped in Death Valley a few years ago next to a Dutch couple in this truck. It's much smaller than the rolling Mongolian, and I had an interesting chat with the guy about the size of his truck. They've had larger ones and trekked the world (Pan American Highway into South American and in North Africa). He said the problem with bigger trucks is that they sink. You have to park them on very good pavement, or the trucks wheels sink into the pavement or ground when you've parked there overnight. He also had problems with side to side clearances in villages and overhead clearance with bridges, trees, and electric wires. So this smaller truck was a compromise for the couple - smaller than they wanted but not so big they were limited in where they could go.

The rolling Mongolian looks great in the drawings, but I suspect it's too big for most of us to use even as a bug-out vehicle.

I'm reminded, by the way, of our camping trip in the Southwest at the time of the Rodeo-Chedeski fire fire in Arizona. People had bugged out over several hundred miles. The motel we stayed at was nearly filled with people who'd left their homes, farms, and ranches.

The neighborliness was just what I remember from my growing up on a farm in Texas - people took care of each other and their livestock. Volunteers came from miles around with their stock trailers to haul off cattle and horses and care for the animals till they could be returned to the owners.

I assume similar actions in the current Arizona fire, where people are evacuating, hoping their homes survive.

My recollections of farm life in Texas, at least in the 50s and 60s, was that everyone needed help at one time or another and could be counted on to give help when others needed it. It's just what you did as a neighbor.

Re: Bug out RV - 06/13/11 01:19 AM

Thats a very practical looking truck. I imagine it would be great for those very inhospitable places where a few spare tires and lots of extra fuel are absolutely necessary. The Gobi desert comes to mind.

Philip, did they buy this truck or build it? If so, where?
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Bug out RV - 06/13/11 04:32 AM

Yes, they probably will.

But why does everyone always assume a "bug out" to some rural location? Sorry, but I've lived rural, and I'll pass on that unless I have to. I recognize that trampling crops and scaring the womenfolk and livestock won't win me friends. I'll just drive the next state over, or 2 if I have to. Think of Katrina - folks were getting sheltered up into Missouri. I've got family in a half dozen states. Once you're out of the initial crush of traffic, the entire country is open to you.

BTW, the "whole country" isn't settled. Think about how ridiculous that statement is. The US is 3000 miles across by about 1500 wide. There's room. Worst case scenario, Canada's pretty friendly, and just a bit farther on is a big ole empty state named Alaska.

Re: Bug out RV - 06/13/11 02:25 PM

Full sized vans, Uhual style trucks, Mini vans and SUVs are my preferred transportation for such a situation. They are easyer to obtain most likely cheaper and provide a decent amount of space and customization. The Full sized work vans with the gated back area would be best since you can sleep in the back and not have to worry about someone getting threw the front and into the back.
Posted by: philip

Re: Bug out RV - 06/13/11 03:15 PM

They bought it, and I'm sorry to say I have no idea where. You buy the externalities and have the interior fitted out to your order. I don't even remember the brand.

Re: Bug out RV - 06/13/11 06:30 PM

I'm heartsick over the Wallow fire. I have spent a lot of quality time in that country; one of its features is the helpful nature of the folks who live there. I'll bet my bottom dollar they are pulling together and helping each other out in this tragedy.
Posted by: cliff

Re: Bug out RV - 06/14/11 03:08 AM

Cliff,

To you, this site appears an academic exercise of latter-day Walter Mittys playing games; to me, what is discussed here is very real.

In August 2005, between 30,000 to 60,000 (depending on who you ask) New Orleanians and folks from surrounding parishes "set up shop" here in Baton Rouge during and after the Katrina flooding. Two of those were my parents, and two more my in-laws. This collection of thousands of refugees put a huge strain on our city's infrastructure, turning us overnight into the most populous city in the state. While an inconvenience, we NEVER resented those coming into "my country". We sheltered them, we fed them, we clothed them and we made them welcome.

Many fled with little, and lost all they left behind. Few had prepared, or even considered what to prepare. These were our fellow citizens. They were VERY real people.

What we speak of here is being equipped to survive a situation as Katrina - how to plan and prepare. That is not dreaming. That is simply good common sense.

I pray that you, sir or ma'am, were you ever to find yourself an "outsider" in need would find yourself in a country like mine, and not like yours.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: Bug out RV - 06/14/11 05:17 PM

I was a responder with the Red Cross for years. Seen my share of disasters. Also seen a number of farmers crop fields turned into campgrounds. When the farmers were asked about it, they usually said something like, it is only money, these folks need a place to live.

There are some people that put up a wall around their world and sit behind it with a loaded gun. I pity them. They seem to be afraid of folks from "away" or those that are different from themselves.

Yes, some folks will do bad things, take advantage of the situation for their own benefit, but they are in my experience, a tiny minority.

To me, it appears that these "fortress" folks miss one of the truly great aspects life. Helping others, even as some considerable cost to ones self, is one of life's most rewarding experiences.

Now back to the thread about bug out RV's.

Gloria and I have been living on the road in various type of RV's since 1997. We have no permanent home. This summer, since early may and probably until November we will be living full time in a small pick-up camper. It is on a dodge, 1 ton diesel 4x4. We have a large solar system and a reverse osmosis water system. We love this life.

If you already own a large truck, consider a slide in camper. Used, they are very cheap. They can be provisioned and stored almost anywhere. One can load it on the truck and be on the road in under an hour. We get about 20mpg and with a 35 gal. tank, we can move pretty far in a short time. The 4x4 helps in getting back into the remote places.

When we get to a destination, we can offload the camper and use the truck for whatever needs to be done. At the moment, we are in a very remote part of a national forest. We can sit here for about 10 days with the provisions on-board. We are pretty high so I can use my Droid as a "modem" for my computer, providing pretty good internet connectivity.

As I said earlier... We love this life.