Urban Survival Kits

Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Urban Survival Kits - 02/19/11 05:06 PM

I am considering getting the book Build the Perfect Survival Kit by John D. McCann. However, I want to know what you think belongs in an urban survival kit since that is the environment I live in. As part of my EDC, I have a whistle (I'm seriously considering getting an additional whistle), a flashlight, first aid gear and EMT sheers (it's for more than just first aid).

Living in an urban environment, the odds of needing a fishing kit are slim though I don't live far from a lake. I have never caught a fish. Fire making tools do come in handy in an urban environment. I've never built a camp fire but I have built a fire in the fireplace, lit oil lamps, candles and charcoal grills.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: dweste

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/19/11 05:28 PM

Have fun with this!

To be sure we are on the same page semantically, consider reading the "ETS Acronyms" posting found as a "sticky thread" in the Around The Campfire forum.

I am a proponent of form follows function. So I suggest you consider the functions for your kit first.

I look to the proverbiual Rule of Threes:

You can die in 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and, some say, 3 months without human contact. So your kit wants to cover these categories.

The categories I am using now include: First Aid, Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Navigation, Light, Signaling, Self-protection, Hygiene, and Morale.

Your budget will play a large role in how you address whatever categories you decide to use. Things that can play many different roles - multi-taskers - are often good choices [like a multi-tool]. You can use your search tool on this forum to find discussions of such things.

There have been several discussion threads in the "Urban Preparedness" ETS forum as well, so I suggest you consider searching there.

Good luck!
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/19/11 05:52 PM

i recently read an article on urban survival kits in "The Backwoodsman Magazine" that advocates for no less than 3 seperate lock-picking kits. the author says they are not for theft but for unlocking treasures that may be held behind locks. morally murky waters for sure, but it did enlighten me decide to add an extra house and car key to my kit.
Posted by: Crookedknife

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/19/11 05:55 PM

I started by looking over gear lists on this & other websites. After that, I asked myself what would be good things to have on hand in my climate if things like electricity & gas went away for a few days. We live in the chilly & wet pacific NW, so I started saving old clothes & raingear to keep in the garage and car trunk. We identified our likely neighborhood dangers as fire, flood, and burglary, so we now have a fire/flood safe on our shopping list. I also signed up for an online service that sends emails & text messages whenever the rivers start to rise.

What you should keep on hand really does depend on where you live... for example, I grew up in a rural town on the Alaskan coast, and about every year we had to evacuate to higher ground because of tsunami warnings. In that case, it made sense to be able to get the car packed for an extended camping trip in under 15 minutes. Preparing ourselves like that makes little sense now that we live in the city. We still have camping equipment, but now it's for leisure.

As far as daily carry gear is concerned, I basically expect it to get me to my house, car, or work, and from there I'll be better set up to deal with things. I don't lug around much with me except a canteen, umbrella, first aid kit, book to read, pepper spray, and wallet & keys & such. I don't bother with a compass, firestarter, etc. unless I'm going on a hike.

Getting training helps bring things into focus. I've taken first aid + AED for professionals, wilderness first aid, and an edible wild plant class. Soon I'd like to take a CERT class, and I'm looking for another martial arts dojo to join now that my current one has closed. Getting trained is empowering and helps build community.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/19/11 08:23 PM

you might get some not so obvious ideas from lessons learned with hurricane supplies I've accumulated...hope this helps

water...blue 6gal storage containers year around, Sawyer .1 micron filter

33gal Rubbermaid trash can placed in shower/tub and under eaves, filled with water to flush and shower with, you still have access to tub drain...pump up lawn sprayer for shower

several bottles unscented bleach...disinfect and water purification

I've switched from Coleman fuel to propane...several 20# propane tanks and adapter to refill 1#bottles and bulk feed hose.. 2burner stove, backed up by Trangia alcohol stove, and catalytic heater...couple of 6 gal gasoline containers

several Dietz style kero lanterns/fuel....LED head lamps and LED flashlight with clip attached so you don't loose it....cyalume light sticks....try to standardize batteries

several 3 day Igloo ice chests... one for food, one for ice

cordless drill, charger, and extra battery....couple of boxes of 2 and 3 inch deck screws with extra bits... hammer/ nails...wonder bar...duct tape and some plastic sheeting..vise grip pliers...straight/Phillips screwdriver (I back up the cordless with a Yankee Screwdriver... I have 28 windows to board up.

blue tarps and firring strips / roof mastic to cover roof damage

battery powered fan, (an auto battery with a couple of clips on a female lighter plug adapter is a good power tap) portable digital TV, dynamo AM/FM radio...running a generator really aggrivates your neighbors that don't have one, so offer to share power to keep their refrigerator up...lineman's handset style of phone with home made clips

30day supply of canned supplies and plastic ware.. baby wipes ..toilet paper

in addition to my blow out trauma kit (Israeli bandages, Kerlix,tourniquet,NPA tube, QuickClot bag), the house kit has dental and additional burn dressings, sterile saline for irrigation...hand sanitizer...N95/100 face masks...squeeze bottle of H202 to disinfect surfaces

good GoreTex or Helley Hanson PVC rain gear, good heavy duty shoes and way to dry feet (Teva sandals indoors)...citronella bucket/ Deep Woods Off... mosquito netting...air mattress...sleeping bag

if you have to open your house for ventilation, battery powered motion sensing alarm

I'm a competitive shooter so some form of blaster is close

it really helps to store the less bulky stuff in the same shelf area

Posted by: philip

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/19/11 08:40 PM

Living in an urban environment doesn't really tell enough to get constructive suggestions.

I'd want to know what disaster you expect. I live in earthquake country. I used to live in blizzard country. Before that I lived in tornado country. My survival kit for each disaster is very different.

I'd want to know if you commute to work. If so, you need a car kit. You need a go bag at your work desk. Do you work in a highrise? If so, your work go bag may need some hiking shoes if you normally work in dress shoes; you may need leather gloves if you work in an area with glass; you probably need a dust mask. But this depends on what disaster you expect. I expect an earthquake and building destruction, so I want the sturdy shoes, leather gloves, dust mask, chemical lights because I expect broken gas mains, etc.

In my car, I expect rubble in the streets and downed overpasses. I expect either to be stuck in my car or to have to walk out, depending on conditions. In my car, I have shelter, heat, food, water, clothes that are picked for the season, walking shoes, leather gloves, first aid supplies, and such.

If you have a disaster at home, you may find water from the lake is a life saver, so I'd have a means to purify water and to carry it from the lake and store it at home. A month's worth of food for every person, same with water, a way to cook and eat for a month (stove, utensils, etc.) for each person, a lot of clothes appropriate for the season, honkin' huge first aid supply kit since I live in earthquake country and expect severe injuries from falling buildings and debris.

If you're in DFW, I'd concentrate on tornados, range fires which develop into city fires, and ice storms. You may also have rolling blackouts, I hear.

My wife and I camp out a lot, so we're completely comfortable in a tent, making lunch on a camp stove, and using "outdoor facilities." (If you lose your water mains for any reason, you won't have water to flush commodes, in addition to having nothing to drink, cook with, and bathe in.) If you care to, I'd recommend going camping enough to become comfortable roughing it in a tent in a national park with pit toilets and only a cold water tap. You'll find out what you need to survive without a house if the big tornado blows yours down.

Good luck and have fun.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/19/11 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: philip
Living in an urban environment doesn't really tell enough to get constructive suggestions.

Well, I thought I was clear when I mentioned the acronym "EDC" and the book Build the Perfect Survival Kit by John D. McCann. I have the PSP but I'm needing an urban survival kit more so than a wilderness kit. I've tried converting my PSP into an urban kit without much success.

I realize I need more on my person than gear when I can't get home or there is no home to get to. I have considered wilderness survival classes, but they cover the wilderness, not the urban environment.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/19/11 09:45 PM

In a survival situation, urban or wilderness, you blend your knowledge and skills with available gear to surmount the challenges presented by the emergency. Threat profiles vary widely - Philip puts it very well in his post. Knowledge and skills outweigh gadgetry in the final outcome.

Get training in first aid. Almost by definition, a disaster will tax the EMS to its limits. Even when not strained, the most immediate relief for an injury is at the ends of your fingertips, guided by your smarts.

There are lots of useful, cool items out there which can help if properly used. There is also a lot of marketing hype, selling junk by the carload. Some things are useful in some circumstances, not so in others. Most of what you need is probably already at hand, needing only recognition and organization. A lot can be picked up locally at your supermarket or home center. The fun comes in acquiring the rest (I am an incorrigible gadget freak - my colleagues referred to me as "Captain Gizmo.").
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/19/11 09:58 PM

Weekend urban survival kit for Las Vegas or even Dallas. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQGYus
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/19/11 10:59 PM

Doublemint or Juicy Fruit? Think carefully ...
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/19/11 11:14 PM

I changed jobs and started commuting on the train for the first time in twenty years. I spent some time trying to figure what I could carry to improve my chances without needing a wheelbarrow for my laptop bag. The most likely threat would be some form of mass transit disruption, perhaps something that would keep me on the train overnight.

1) I'm more thoughtful about what I wear. If the weather's questionable I may bring a rain shell, an extra fleece, or something like that. My shoes are suitable for long-distance walking. I'm a lot more likely to wear a base layer when it's cold, too.

2) Water is life. The heaviest addition to my EDC when commuting by train is a 32-ounce Nalgene bottle. I always fill it before leaving home or the office.

3) My first aid kit isn't as big as the one in my car, but it still makes up the largest part of my EDC after the water bottle. I have OTC meds to keep working and bandaids for boo-boos. The bulkiest component is North American Rescue's Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit. It's not as good as the trauma kit I carry at the range, but it's way better than nothing.

Other survival items include:

* A 2-person Heatsheets thermal blanket

* A pair of mechanic's gloves

* Contractor bag

* Dust mask

* Bandanna

* Whistle (a Fox 40 Micro)

* An extra CR123A battery for my EDC flashlight (a Quark 123)

* An iTP EOS A3 Upgrade, which is an excellent AAA flashlight

* A Fenix E01, the world's best extra AAA battery holder

* a Prism kit to turn my Quark 123 into a headlamp

* A small amount of duct tape

* A small package of Cottenelle wipes.

* Four quarters wrapped up in a rubberband

* a Countycomm split-pea lighter

* Potable Aqua tablets

While they weren't added for train commuting, my EDC knife is a Ritter mini-grip and my laptop bag also contains a Leatherman Wave.

Other than having more flashlights than can be reasonably explained, I'm certainly open to suggestions on how I could improve upon this. I don't want my bag to get a lot heavier, though.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: philip

Well, I thought I was clear when I mentioned the acronym "EDC" and the book Build the Perfect Survival Kit by John D. McCann. I have the PSP but I'm needing an urban survival kit more so than a wilderness kit. I've tried converting my PSP into an urban kit without much success.

I realize I need more on my person than gear when I can't get home or there is no home to get to. I have considered wilderness survival classes, but they cover the wilderness, not the urban environment.

As part of your planning and which ultimately determines what to have in your kit is the question: What events would prevent you from getting home and where would you go if there was no home for you get back to?

For example. In our everyday routines, we are seldom more then an hour walk from home and usually there are no natural or manmade obstructions that would slow or stop us from getting home. There is no threat of flood (home is too high up and miles away from the biggest river and creeks.) There is no fear of tornados, hurricanes or major snow storms where the city is paralyzed for days or weeks at a time.

That said, we do live in an active earthqauke zone and after a few thousand years of relative inactivity, we are almost ripe for a major quake. Experts say it could happen at any time, meaning any day or in the next few milleniums...and I am sure there is room for error in their calculations.

I work less then a 45 minute walk home and my G/F's walk home from is even less then that and is on my route home so I would head there first.

If we had to evac on foot from home to another area, such as a family or friends home, again it would not take that long on foot and it is fair to say that it would be faster then driving depending on the circumstance.

With the all the above in mind, nowadays I don't carry a lot of EDC other then a flashlight with extra batteries, water bottle, folding knife, various bandages, a few OTC meds, some loose change, small pack of diaper wipes, extra pair of socks, and probably a few other odds and ends which escapes me right now. This all fits into a small pack which I take to work everyday as I use it as my lunch carrier also.

In the event there was a major disaster, the trunk of the car (which I drive to work) always has hiking/camping gear, clothes, backpacks, first aid, extra food, water, shelter that we could press into use when required.

For none everyday routines where we could be hundreds of miles from home, distance, weather, terrain and environment plays a bigger role in planning and is probably best suited for a separate thread.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 12:20 AM

Semantics. . . What functions does an urban kit need to perform? Do you travel by car, subway, bus or bicycle? Are there elevators in your travels? Will the survival kit be EDC (implied) or will/can it be stored at work in a high rise office? If there is a car in your daily commute, a duffel can carry a huge kit for all sorts of urban/suburban/wilderness contingencies.

I'm not sure the question regarding natural disasters is relevant; an EDC kit might be a little different if you are in earthquake country (SOCAL) as opposed to tornado country (Mid-West) during the season -- but I suspect a lot of similarities.

Big knives are out, but are multi-tools in? Personally I like a locking folder in addition to a multi-tool. I use the folder more, but a good multi-tool has so much potential I carry one in my EDC back-pack even though I rarely need it.

What is your every day carry? --part four has some great ideas for urban carry. Your post in that thread is a very good urban kit IMO.

Most important items to me are:
1. Water
2. FAK
3. Flashlight
4. Knife/Multi-tool
5. Whistle

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 12:42 AM

chaosmagnet... my GHB/RON (remain over night)scenario is for two nights so I included a couple of meals, snack, and cocoa/tea drink, ... but minimally an MRE entree with heater, (I settled for a foil pouch of tuna, and ramen noodles /instant mashed potatoes in a ziploc bag to cold soak if necessary, but a MRE heater and beverage bag would be better (I have a nested metal cup and parafin heater)... I think at least a couple of PowerBars, some EGR powdered drink packet....insect wipe or spray, mosquito head net as I live in Florida..dedicated boonie hat or watch cap depending on season...safety glasses or goggles if appropriate.. a cheap PVC poncho to go with the heatsheet and contractor bag
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 01:29 AM

Chaos -- Nice set-up. I'd add food ( bars of some sort)
Paper records ( map, bus sched/map, phone numbers) Tiny radio?
Assumed: cell phone, cash, amusements.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 01:30 AM

i live in a small city, work in another, and often teach in a third, major city. the distance between the three is probably 70kms one way. home is seperated from the others by rural area. even though there is public transit, i prefer to commute by my own car, unless i don't have an option. (and i'm really uncomfortabble with that.)

we've already discussed edc in another thread. additionally, when i'm in the city, i try not to be far from my car. the scenarios i plan for, other than bugging in at home, are waiting out a storm or major accident and getting home. my edc will hopefully get me to my car from wherever i am, and i keep a backpack in the trunk that's designed to help me wait it out or get home. it's stocked with water, shelter, first aid, fire, heat, light, food, navigation, signalling, change of clothes, etc. my goal is for my son and i (my commuting partner) to be able to survive with it for at least 72 hrs.

he's got a pack in the trunk too, though less stocked (i.e. heavy), and we both dress in layers for the worst case weather in our area for the season. we also wear footwear suitable for hiking long distances. if i'm not wearing the appropriate clothes and/or footwear, they're in my pack in the trunk.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Semantics. . . What functions does an urban kit need to perform? Do you travel by car, subway, bus or bicycle? Are there elevators in your travels? Will the survival kit be EDC (implied) or will/can it be stored at work in a high rise office? If there is a car in your daily commute, a duffel can carry a huge kit for all sorts of urban/suburban/wilderness contingencies.

I'm not sure the question regarding natural disasters is relevant; an EDC kit might be a little different if you are in earthquake country (SOCAL) as opposed to tornado country (Mid-West) during the season -- but I suspect a lot of similarities.

Big knives are out, but are multi-tools in? Personally I like a locking folder in addition to a multi-tool. I use the folder more, but a good multi-tool has so much potential I carry one in my EDC back-pack even though I rarely need it.

What is your every day carry? --part four has some great ideas for urban carry. Your post in that thread is a very good urban kit IMO.

I forgot to mention the protein bar in that list but these EDC items will get me through every situation I have come across. What about situations I have yet to come across? What if I can't access my car and I have to walk half-ways across the county to get home? I wear suitable footwear so that is not a problem. We could have wide-scale power failure, which means stores close, and all I have on me is a half-liter bottle of water and a protein bar. I don't think that will be enough if I can't get to my car so yes, my survival kit would have to be on me.

Storing stuff at work is not too difficult but I often have to take D.A.R.T. to go to appointments so any sort of storage in that regard is out of the question.

As for why there could be no home to go to, I live in Tornado Ally which can take out an entire section of town. There go two alternatives. As for any other alternative, last year my family and some friends checked into a hotel due to the snow storm and widespread power outage. A bunch of people had to pack inside one car which left little room for gear. I packed my bag with what little extra food and water I could.

I realize that this post is disorganized but I hope this answers everyone's questions.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 02:48 AM

. . .
I forgot to mention the protein bar in that list but these EDC items will get me through every situation I have come across. What about situations I have yet to come across? What if I can't access my car and I have to walk half-ways across the county to get home? I wear suitable footwear so that is not a problem. We could have wide-scale power failure, which means stores close, and all I have on me is a half-liter bottle of water and a protein bar. I don't think that will be enough if I can't get to my car so yes, my survival kit would have to be on me.

Storing stuff at work is not too difficult but I often have to take D.A.R.T. to go to appointments so any sort of storage in that regard is out of the question.

As for why there could be no home to go to, I live in Tornado Ally which can take out an entire section of town. There go two alternatives. As for any other alternative, last year my family and some friends checked into a hotel due to the snow storm and widespread power outage. A bunch of people had to pack inside one car which left little room for gear. I packed my bag with what little extra food and water I could.

I realize that this post is disorganized but I hope this answers everyone's questions.

Jeanette Isabelle

Where to start . . . It isn't a question of having only one kit and that kit having to answer all requirements; I view my various kits as somewhat inter-related, comprising multiple layers, each of which has more capacity, but will also be more difficult to carry.

There's my EDC pocket carry and then my EDC backpack. Then there's the truck's 96 hour kit which includes a GHB take-away walking kit. If I'm at work and I walk into the parking lot, I have the combined contents of all those various kits available. There is redundancy, but what's really wrong with that . . .

After I return home my kit expands even further. No kit is perfect, each layer can be improved with additional resources, limited only by your ability to carry it. That is why having multiple layered kits is the way to go. Each layer up provides more resources; each layer down allows greater mobility. You need to decide which level to go with depending on your current situation. $.02

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 03:06 AM

Another think that strikes me as I read Jeanette's quote above is that at which point in an emergency will an Urban Kit fail and items from a Wilderness kit rule? If electricity is out over a wide area and water is an issue, my thinking is that something more inclusive than a strictly urban kit (which implies civilization and conveniences like running water and electricity) may be necessary.

Parts of a wilderness kit (water filter) come to mind and may be critical survival items in a post disaster urban setting. The GHB in my truck kit has an MSR mini-works water filter.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Doublemint or Juicy Fruit? Think carefully ...

Big Red!
Posted by: bws48

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 01:19 PM

On another note, I think the question of urban EDC and survival kits is harder than that of forest or rural survival. More variable situations.

I tend to think about it this way:

What do I have on my person, at all times, baring the intervention of local rules (e.g. D.C.'s government buildings)?

For me, this is a quality light, SAK or Multi-tool, keys, cell phone, wallet, credit cards and Cash (about 50$, small bills). These things are intended to get me back to the office or car (where there is a larger get home kit, contents a separate discussion).

My basic idea it that if you are in the typical high rise building and the power goes out, you are in the dark except for the rare and usually inadequate emergency lighting. You need to get back to your office/car where the bulk of your equipment is. So, things like a FAK, lots of water etc. are not strictly necessary.

Also, try to know the buildings you are in. Locally, some have stairwells that if you go in, the only way out is on the ground floor--no exit to another floor. Bummer if you just need to go one floor back to the office and the elevator is out.

In my experience, you can't go to a formal business meeting dragging a backpack of equipment. A briefcase/laptop case would be the max socially acceptable, so this constrains how much you can lug around. The gals have an advantage in that they can also have a purse and it not be noticed, so more room. Remember, you still need to carry what you actually need at the meeting!

The next major issue is the commute to and from work. If you drive, you have lots of room for equipment--take your pick.

If you take public transport, you are again limited, this time to probably a backpack size bag or rolling bag. Here is where you want most of the stuff that would keep you going for a couple of days or longer, presumably to get you home or to a large stash of equipment. Specifics of this kit depend a lot on weather and the type of transport, e.g. bus, train, subway, or a mix. In all cases good walking shoes (waterproof a good idea) are a must, as is clothing that will keep you comfortable in the outside weather.

So all my urban survival plans are oriented toward getting back home where the family is and I have considerable resources. Perhaps it is wrong, but I do not seriously plan on a totally "come as you are" bug out to parts unknown.
Posted by: Kona1

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 01:56 PM

I agree, though I would add a face mask, some type of rubber gloves (small and handy if you need to pick up something you would rather not), a poncho, small bottle of Visine or similar eye rinse and a small cell phone charger that takes AA batteries (I use the iGo system and this allows me to have extra batteries for my flashlight plus a means to re-charge my cell phone if power is unavailable). I don't recall if you mentioned carrying a SAK or multi-tool but I would suggest at least one preferably both.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Chaos -- Nice set-up. I'd add food ( bars of some sort)
Paper records ( map, bus sched/map, phone numbers) Tiny radio?
Assumed: cell phone, cash, amusements.

I should have mentioned that I always have at least a few snack bars in my laptop bag.

Maps were rejected as being too bulky and unnecessary -- I know the local area very well. The train schedule is sparse enough that I've largely memorized it. If my phone is available I have all my contacts (and a GPS, and the train schedule, and so on). If it's lost or broken I have several important numbers memorized.

A tiny radio is a very good idea, I'll look into adding one. I carry an iPhone, at least $100 cash, a book to read, and a USB battery that can recharge my iPhone completely, twice. Not to mention my laptop, which is almost always fully charged.

If I were going to carry more food, I'd probably take a Mainstay bar over an MRE entree. The possibility that I'd need more food during a train commute and couldn't buy it seems too remote to justify the added weight and bulk.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
....insect wipe or spray, mosquito head net as I live in Florida..dedicated boonie hat or watch cap depending on season...safety glasses or goggles if appropriate.. a cheap PVC poncho to go with the heatsheet and contractor bag

I do have an insect wipe and a sunscreen wipe in my FAK. I always carry a watch cap or something like it if it might get cold. I always have sunglasses, so they can serve as safety glasses if need be. Any why didn't I list my cheap PVC poncho? I do carry one.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 02:33 PM

Agree entirely. The point of EDC is to make it through temporary/short term issues and get home or to a larger kit. It isn't an issue of having only one kit and needing to carry the entire thing.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 02:40 PM

In addition to the briefcase and edc, consider keeping a gym bag at work;
small enough to tuck away but carries water, snacks, full change of clothing including shoes, personal items (cosmetics, etc.) Esp good if you are stuck overnight.

teacher
Posted by: Susan

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 06:25 PM

If you have to walk home from work, First Aid training and a kit can help to make you some temporary friends along the way. If you come across a few young guys looking to make trouble, and they're near a bus bench where there are three women and an injured kid, what do you think will happen if you stop to put some antibiotic ointment and a bandage on the kid?

Not only walking shoes, but if you aren't very familiar with all the possible routes home, you should carry a map that covers the area between work and home, so you don't have to waste time with dead-ends and roads that end up going in the wrong direction.

A bag is better than nothing, but a coat with lots of pockets to carry stuff often doesn't as easily catch the eye of certain types of bottom feeder. This might help out when traveling DART, too.

Your mentioning the crowded car in a snow storm reminded me of something I saw in Los Angeles many years ago. I was following a car filled with more people than one might think a car could hold, and they had some net bags on straps that they had hanging outside the car. A thrift shop belt, pulled out of the bag and run through the handle could be carried the same way, with the strap held by the rolled-up window in winter.

And if you do find yourself afoot, be extremely aware of your surroundings. Sure, most stores will close, but if you're passing the only one that isn't (yet), it could be very useful.

Keep your water stored in containers sized to what YOU can carry. Five- or six-gallon containers weigh 40-50 pounds, not easily or quickly carried by many women.

Sue
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 07:36 PM

As part of my EDC, I have a whistle (I'm seriously considering getting an additional whistle), a flashlight, first aid gear and EMT sheers (it's for more than just first aid).
Sounds good to me. The main thing I'd add is a dust mask. Might as well make it an N95 medical mask. You can get ones that store flat. The ones with a filter are better in use, but more bulky to carry. Packs of 10 are so you have some spares for testing the fit.

These are for any kind of disaster that leads to building collapse. The reports I've read about 9/11, for example, say the things most useful for survivors were torch, whistle and mask.

An urban tool should be a bit different to a wilderness tool. It's more important to be able to cut metal than wood. A can-opener attachment may be useful too.

Otherwise, the usual survival stuff: bandanna, cordage, water. I think fire-making is less important in urban situations. The usual urban stuff: money, credit cards, phone, ID, contact info. There is probably a higher risk of theft or mugging so you might want to think about that. Usually, though, having more people around is a good thing, because the bad eggs are relatively rare.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 09:27 PM

Where to start . . . It isn't a question of having only one kit and that kit having to answer all requirements; I view my various kits as somewhat inter-related, comprising multiple layers, each of which has more capacity, but will also be more difficult to carry.

You're right. It's all about layers. I was a little stressed yesterday. My home and car are covered. I am looking to improve what I have on my person. Depending on the situation I take public transportation which means I am away from my car and any place to store gear for that matter. The only natural disaster which can hinder means of transportation is a snow or an ice storm which has suddenly became quite common in Dallas, TX within the past two years.

Most of what I carry is the result of personal experiences. I believe my FOX40 is the only exception. I don't want to be in a situation whishing that I EDC a certain item.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 09:44 PM

Jeannette:

How far is your work from home and are there any large obstacles in that path? For example: River bridges or overpasses, that if they are fairly large will probably withstand a hit from a tornado with perhaps minimal damage that may render it not usable for vehicle traffic, but ok for people to walk across.

Also do you not have any family, friends or co-workers that live closer and whose homes may not be affected by whatever disaster occurs? I am sure that if you get along with co-workers, one of them may take you in for a short time until things calm down a bit.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 09:45 PM

Another think that strikes me as I read Jeanette's quote above is that at which point in an emergency will an Urban Kit fail and items from a Wilderness kit rule? If electricity is out over a wide area and water is an issue, my thinking is that something more inclusive than a strictly urban kit (which implies civilization and conveniences like running water and electricity) may be necessary.

Parts of a wilderness kit (water filter) come to mind and may be critical survival items in a post disaster urban setting.

I've been looking at John McCann's web site and thinking about building a kit which would fit my needs for my environment, the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and skill level. One item I would need to include is the AQUA-POUCH™ PLUS. Of course not everything in a typical wilderness kit would fit my needs or skill level.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 09:53 PM

Or there is the Grand Daddy of them all Urban Survival Kits from Nutnfancy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkntkChnnM

Awesomely awesome awesomeness but nut was missing the Scuba Pony Bottle for a potential Poseidon adventure emergency. wink

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Kona1
I agree, though I would add a face mask, some type of rubber gloves (small and handy if you need to pick up something you would rather not). . . .

I have latex-free gloves in my first aid kit.

a poncho. . . .

I plan to include a poncho in the survival kit I want to build.

I don't recall if you mentioned carrying a SAK or multi-tool but I would suggest at least one preferably both.

After I first joined this forum, I bought a Swiss Army Knife and tried it out. It was not useful for my needs. A pair of EMT sheers is able to perform almost every tool-related task. I have a multi tool as part of my car kit. In the nearly three years I've had it, I used it once.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/20/11 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
How far is your work from home and are there any large obstacles in that path? For example: River bridges or overpasses, that if they are fairly large will probably withstand a hit from a tornado with perhaps minimal damage that may render it not usable for vehicle traffic, but ok for people to walk across.

Also do you not have any family, friends or co-workers that live closer and whose homes may not be affected by whatever disaster occurs? I am sure that if you get along with co-workers, one of them may take you in for a short time until things calm down a bit.

Work is close and that is not a problem. Often I have to go to different parts of the county for different reasons and I use public transportation for that. It's when I'm in other parts of the county, using public transportation, that I run into the possibility of having a problem.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 01:47 AM

I carry an iPhone, at least $100 cash, a book to read, and a USB battery that can recharge my iPhone completely, twice.

Teacher, what battery do you have that can charge an iPhone twice? I've been searching but haven't found anything.

Not to mention my laptop, which is almost always fully charged

My laptop is one of the first things I would ditch if I had to travel any distance. In an emergency, a laptop is 6 to 8 pounds of relatively useless plastic and silicon. Time permitting, I would pull the hard drive and take it with me, but no loss if I have to leave it behind. The disk is fully encrypted (McAfee Safeboot) and automatically backed-up each time I connect to a network (Carbonite). The ability to use it to charge my phone doesn't justify the weight and bulk IMHO.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

This is very helpful. Thank-you. This video gives me the tools to answer some of my own questions.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 02:24 AM

I've been hemming and hawing on this one. I think part of it is because to me an urban PSK is just part of a well rounded EDC. It isn't "survival" to me due to the size and weight requirements, but rather "emergency" in the sense of "huh, I didn't plan on this happening today- this sucks". An urban survival kit to me is a get home bag for when the roads aren't going to work, so it has food and water and real shoes in it, along with a good FAK and tools.

A light, knife/SAK/MT (and while I agree with you Jaenette that 95% of the time trauma shears do what is needed, it is that pesky 5% that is why you carry an emergency kit), FAK and whistle cover most of it.

The most important emergency item I can think of is cash- say 50$ in small bills and a few bucks in quarters. I would also consider a water bottle, note pad, pencil, sharpie (even a mini), and if you wear contacts, real glasses to be important additions to your EDC. A poncho or contractor bag never is out of place IMO. Defensive items are always big debate, which I'm not going to get into.

So how much extra space do you have? I would consider basic screw drivers (a straight and a #2 phillips) and a pair of pliers with wire cutters to be core emergency tools, along with stout leather gloves, a bandana/light scarf/hand towel, 2-3' of wire, duct tape and maybe some zip ties. I would also add a spool of dental floss, 20'+ of p-cord (or anything better than mason cord and dental floss- a good 250#, 3mm line isn't super expensive, and you can pack a lot of it into a small space, but you lose the corelines and versatility) and a packet (altoids tin is fine and has space for the wire) with a a couple sewing needles, some good medium-large safety pins, a small binder clip or two, a couple of paper clips, a few hair ties, a thumbtack or two and a couple of small fish hooks and a crimp on weight or two. Maybe a tube of superglue and a bit of electricians tape. A quart freezer bag or two is also very useful.

Remember, this is a set of items that you can use to improvise- a wooden stick when added to a thumb tack and a fish hook, or the dental floss with the hook and weight, becomes a way to retrieve keys that have been dropped. Duct tape can cover a light switch that leads to a light that must NOT be turned on (structural damage leading to dangly wires, a gas leak that could go boom, et al), while bright duct tape and the sharpie leaves a critical note almost anywhere at eyelevel ("gas leak! do not turn on lights! get out!!!"). Dental floss and a needle fixes a loose button. Hair ties can serve for rubber bands, or for holding back long hair. Wire replaces the lost screw for a pair of glasses, or electricians tape for a lost nose piece pad. Pliers grab something hot/sticky/bloody/sharp/et al. Water into a ziplock, adding a pin, gives you the ability to flush dust from eyes. Paracord (if you have enough) can turn into a "follow me" line if you are the only one with a light. Poncho and improvised grommits made with duct tape and safety pins turns into a tarp fast. The bandana or towel is limited to your imagination.

Also nice is a road map of the area and a compass (just has to be good enough to find north), mass transit maps (the car dieing is a "strand you there" emergency as much as EMP), and if you are like me, a small card with a few knots on it.

Fire starting items are a big maybe to me for a UPSK. A small Bic doesn't really add much, so I might toss one in, but for an EDC supliment rather than a get home bag I wouldn't do much more than that or a small ferro rod, simply because what are you going to burn?

Oh, and as someone who has a copy of McCann's book- eh. Read the main part of the ETS web page and you'll get the same kind of data. Ask us, and we'll fill it out.

Forgot one thing, becuase I'm pretty much a single language area- better than a phrase book, Kwikpoints! Probably the wallet sized traveller. If I'm someplace where working english isn't a safe assumption, I grab mine.
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 03:50 AM

I'd like to chip in a bit.

Since you mention having to travel around the county, then I'd strongly suggest adding maps to your EDC. Maps can be in paper form, but also electronic.

If you are already carring a phone I'd suggest adding some maps, even if they are only a scanned PDF or JPGs; proper "GPS" style mapping running on your phone is even better if you have a suitable phone. Even using Google Maps (online) or similar is probably OK, but these will only work if you have mobile coverage.

As well as the maps, you should get "all" the public transport timetables, including adjoining counties. You should add in a list of contact numbers and addresses for the various transport operators, local emergency services (police, fire etc), hospitals/doctors, roads department, Weather service. If you're visting affiliated offices as you travel, get numbers for these too. Get WEB addresses for the above services and the local media too (even if your phone cannot access the WEB, at least you have the information to hand). Often if there is some kind of incident you will be able to find out more information either by calling the companies, or checking their web sites.

Having this information won't help if you have a flat phone, or if you cannot charge the phone, but most "emergencies" are likely to be inconveniences rather than full scale disasters, so having this information will help you plan a route "home" if the transport breaks down, roads are closed or severe storms hit.
By setting up all this information in advance, its ready to go when you need it

And there are lots of other things you can add to your phone too: first aid manual, flashlight app, books for entertainment (if you are stuck somewhere), family photos, survival literature .... etc

Because most of us carry a phone all the time, and because most emergencies will be short duration I think that it makes an excellent repository and very easy carry in addition to the other gear already mentioned.

My wallet EDC: fresenl lense, mirror, matches, large safety pin, small cable tie, needle with thread; I also have a few tooth picks - nothing more annoying than having stuff stuck between your teeth ! All this is security guard and workplace friendly too!

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

This is very helpful. Thank-you. This video gives me the tools to answer some of my own questions.
Jeanette Isabelle

I watched most of the 3 segments of the Nutnfancy USK videos. As much as I like some of Nutnfancy's videos, these were too long and soon found myself skipping through his over detailed descriptions of each item. Still it was interesting to watch and I gleaned a few ideas of possible things to add while putting together a dedicated USK (Urban Survival Kit).
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 04:15 AM

Here's my Urban Survival Kit:

I wanted to make a suitable kit for less than $300 that I could keep under a desk at work [or whatever] with some basic tools and supplies to supplement my EDC. The total weight is 13.2lbs, which I find to be perfectly reasonable to carry all day if need be.

Started with a simple Jansport backpack. Cost around $30.

Little compartment on top contains:
-AMK SOL kit. I took out the matches and added a Victorinox Farmer and Swedish Firesteel. I also added some sewing needles and thread to the fishing kit, as well as Micropur Tablets for water purification.
-AMK Emergency Bivvy
-Titanium Cup (went with titanium just because I had a spare)
Total cost of this compartment: $95

Little Bottom pouch contains:
-Work Gloves
-Orange safety vest
-2 Bandannas
-Bic Lighter
-2 Sharpie Markers
-2 Bic Pens
-2 Emergency Ponchos
-A leatherman Blast
-6" adjustable wrench
Total cost of this compartment: $70

Middle medium compartment contains:
-First Aid Kit (I also tossed in a set of foam earplugs)
-Combo LED Flashlight/Radio (dynamo)
-Roll toilet paper
-Deck cards
-2 N95 Dust Masks
-Roll Duct tape
-Plastic Drop cloth
-Stanley Wonderbar II Pry bar
-Stanley 8-Inch Groove Joint Pliers
-2 Unscented candles wrapped in tinfoil
-Garbage bags in a ziplock bag (two 55 gallon, three 30 gallon)
Total cost of this compartment: $90

Large Compartment contains:

-two 1 Liter bottles of water
-Box of snack bars
-Package of assorted bubblicious gum
Total cost of this compartment: $10

If you notice, I left the last (and largest compartment) mostly empty except for the food and water (the latter of which can go into the two outside mesh pockets if need be). This gives me an essentially empty pocket in case I have anything I might need or want to carry.

If I was making this kit for someone else, I would add:
-a pair of safety glasses (I already wear glasses with polycarbonate lenses)
-another flashlight (probably an LED headlamp with spare batteries)
-some 550 cord (which I'll probably add to mine, but I just haven't got around to it yet).
-cash (small bills) and change (roll of quarters would likely be most useful)

It might also be a good idea to include a hard hat (or maybe a bicycle helmet if that would work better for the user). They're somewhat bulky to carry and annoying to wear though, so I find that I carry/wear them probably less than I should. blush

It's worth noting that I don't keep any real weapons in the bag. Assuming they would be allowed in my area and workplace environment, I just wouldn't want to risk some type of issue arising when I might not be able to keep an eye on my bag constantly. Instead I would rather keep any weapons on my person.

All in all, I wouldn't consider it a long term survival kit, but it should allow me to fend for myself and maybe help some others for a day or two if need be. At least until (hopefully) emergency responders can get some semblance of order established.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 11:32 AM

ironraven and aussie have added great insight. think creatively and keep your options open.

nice kit Paul!

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Teacher, what battery do you have that can charge an iPhone twice? I've been searching but haven't found anything.

That was me, not TeacherRO. Mine is an XPal Harry II, which is a 2000 mAh LiPo battery. Energizer bought XPal, so the current model is the XP2000.

Quote:
My laptop is one of the first things I would ditch if I had to travel any distance.

Sure, me too. But if I'm stuck on the train I can use it to charge my phone, post to ETS, and otherwise occupy myself.

Carbonite is awesome. For encryption, I use TrueCrypt.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 03:17 PM

Inspired by the video I saw last night, I listed all of my concerns and under each of my concern, I listed everything I could possibly need to address that concern. In the situations where an item can address more than one concern, I have it listed under each respective concern as a reminder that this item can be used to address more than one concern.

As it turns out, most of these items are apart of my EDC or sometimes apart of my EDC. In the situations where an item is sometimes apart of my EDC, it will now be apart of my permanent EDC. I will get the lacking but needed items for my EDC today.

Jeanette Isabelle

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 04:33 PM

$.02 for you working in a highrise...fire/smoke threat

dedicated rescue hood and filter canister for hydrogen cyanide and particulate matter.... fireproof blanket to throw over you

gas mask (military surplus masks are typically many years out of date, but an option with a new filter)

GI pilots Nomex gloves, GI Nomex balaclava or from race car fire suit with tight fitting Lexan goggles and industrial respirator

battery alarm as you might not be able to blow a whistle

high intensity light... high intensity light sticks

section of "follow me" cord,non melting

window breaking punch, Wonder bar, insulated wire cutters, hacksaw to remove interior metal wall studs

depending on height and training... throw bag with Kernmantle rope, figure 8, Swiss seat, carabiners, double thick gloves

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
$.02 for you working in a highrise...fire/smoke threat

dedicated rescue hood and filter canister for hydrogen cyanide and particulate matter.... fireproof blanket to throw over you

gas mask (military surplus masks are typically many years out of date, but an option with a new filter)

GI pilots Nomex gloves, GI Nomex balaclava or from race car fire suit with tight fitting Lexan goggles and industrial respirator

battery alarm as you might not be able to blow a whistle

high intensity light... high intensity light sticks

section of "follow me" cord,non melting

window breaking punch, Wonder bar, insulated wire cutters, hacksaw to remove interior metal wall studs

depending on height and training... throw bag with Kernmantle rope, figure 8, Swiss seat, carabiners, double thick gloves

Keep in mind that if you work in a high rise, you may spend a significant portion of your day away from your desk. At a minimum, keep a flashlight, your phone, car keys (if you drove) and your wallet on your person. You may not be able to return to your desk to get your gear. Even if you think you can go back to get your stuff, it's almost always better to beat feet and get out of a burning building as quickly as possible.

Having my car keys has enabled me to be comfortable during cold weather fire drills on several occasions. In a real fire, I'd have had access to warm clothes and my emergency gear.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 07:07 PM

In that situation, the purpose of my EDC pocket carry is to help get me to either the office kit or to my car kit. If I can get to the car kit faster by leaving the office kit behind, so-be-it. The car/truck kit including the truck itself is much better for long term survival. The office kit is much smaller and more limited.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

keep... your wallet on your person. You may not be able to return to your desk to get your gear. Even if you think you can go back to get your stuff... Having my car keys has enabled me to be comfortable during cold weather fire drills on several occasions. In a real fire, I'd have had access to warm clothes and my emergency gear.

GREAT advice! it always surprises me how many people get caught unprepared during a fire alarm. what the heck do they think would happen in a real fire. oh wait. that kinda stuff only happens in the movies. wink
Posted by: MarkO

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 11:13 PM

I see this all the time. Keys and wallet in the desk drawer.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/21/11 11:57 PM

I forgot to mention an additional EDC on my keyring is a Res-q-me tool. http://www.resqme.com/what_is_resqme.html (no affiliation). I think there are a few other brands around if you look).

No matter if you are in a car, bus, train, or even in an office, its always nice to be able to safely break a window (in an emergency). There have been numerous situations especially in a buses and trains where exists are blocked or unreachable. So being able to make your own exit makes sense.

I've had the situation (once) where I was walking past a car accident. A lady was trapped in the car and the doors / windows would not function. Fortunately the rescue teams were only a few minutes away, but the ability to break that glass would have been very useful. Those hammer style rescue tools are not really suitable for me to carry on me, but the keyring tool is acceptable.

I guess most people on this forum realize that often our preperations will benefit the muggles in the community, rather that us needing them ourselves !

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/22/11 01:24 AM

Just on a side note, if you do have to use a tool like the Res-Q-Me to break a window, make sure you've got some sort of protection on your hands/arms. I've used one a few times and it's really easy to slice the heck out of your bare hand/arm in the heat of the moment. (With the one I keep in my car, I also keep a pair of simple work gloves in the same spot.)

Also, if you aren't wearing glasses, it's best to either close your eyes or turn your head away while using the tool, as glass can (and does) fly into the air. (It might also be necessary to tell someone on the other side to do the same.)

Finally, keep in mind that some glass can be laminated. This can typically be somewhat tough to get through. Therefore, one might need to be prepared to potentially have to fight their way in or out through this type of glass. Kicking around the edge can often dislodge it from its mount, however if that doesn't work, you might have to be prepared to cut through it or look for another method of entry/exit.

All in all, Each time I've used one of these center-punch style rescue tools, I've found they work great. However, as a potential rescuer, you always want to make sure to keep the situation as safe as possible for you. That way, you can avoid becoming another person that needs medical attention or, worse yet, needs to be rescued. A good way to do this is to practice. See if you can find some car windows you can (legally) break and run through a simple scenario of what you would do if you had to get out and get in. If you can get some legitimate training, even better.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/22/11 01:56 AM

Inspired by the video I saw last night, I listed all of my concerns and under each of my concern, I listed everything I could possibly need to address that concern. In the situations where an item can address more than one concern, I have it listed under each respective concern as a reminder that this item can be used to address more than one concern.

As it turns out, most of these items are apart of my EDC. . . .

I believe I have everything I need to address my urban survival concerns when I have to rely on my EDC. I've added an 8 oz. bottle of water (an emergency container of water to supplement the larger bottle of water I always carry), a roll of antacid tablets and a large red bandana to my bag. Ironically I realized there is another use for a bandana: something used for signaling could also be used to blend in, depending on the part of town. The one thing I did not buy, but considered, is a backup whistle to my primary whistle.

I saved the list of my concerns, and items to address those concerns, to my computer so I can review it and make changes when needed.

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/22/11 04:47 AM

I've read many fine suggestions in this thread, so I'll just mention a few things that were not mentioned: A water filter bottle and/or straw. My research makes Seychelles my choice in both catagories. YMMV; A 4-way silcock key to open and close commercial water hose outlets (Ironraven, how could you forget? I learned this from you.); 3-4 flashlights- A Photon type button cell or 2, a small headlamp with xtra batteries ( e.g. Princetontec Scout), One or both AA/AAA flsahlight ( e.g. Zebralight SC-51 with headband and Fenix EO-1). Why 4 lights? Battery variety , backup, handsfree & share with a fellow. If regulations permit, a Boker Cop Tool; and a good trauma kit with the basic knowledge to use it, even if its only from old Army/Marine training videos on U-Tube. Such a kit might include 1-2 Izzy bandages (the 2 pad model is best), TK-4 tourniquet, primed compreesed gauze, chest seal bandage, 28 Fr. nasal airway, Celox or Quik-clot pad or Combat Gauze & small sharpie (mark the head if you use hemostatic dressing). Sounds more complicated to use than it is.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/22/11 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
A 4-way silcock key to open and close commercial water hose outlets

This is pretty heavy for EDC, and not as flexible as a good multitool. I haven't yet run into a silcock that my LM Wave couldn't open.

Quote:
a Boker Cop Tool

Looks good for a heavier kit (like car or home) but pretty heavy for EDC.

Quote:
and a good trauma kit with the basic knowledge to use it, even if its only from old Army/Marine training videos on U-Tube. Such a kit might include 1-2 Izzy bandages (the 2 pad model is best), TK-4 tourniquet, primed compreesed gauze, chest seal bandage, 28 Fr. nasal airway, Celox or Quik-clot pad or Combat Gauze & small sharpie (mark the head if you use hemostatic dressing). Sounds more complicated to use than it is.

My instructor said that the CAT and SOF-T were the best, as they can be applied to yourself very quickly one-handed. I understand that they're the only ones recommended by CoTCCC.

My best trauma kit is expensive and has all the tools I'm trained to use. I carry it on my person when on the range. I have an IFAK with some things I've added to it that sits in my car kit. It's not quite as complete but significantly less bulky and much less expensive than the one I carry on the range. The Pocket Trauma Kit I EDC in my laptop bag is the smallest, least complete and least expensive, but hopefully enough for me to stop a big bleed before the paramedics arrive.

I cannot recommend training highly enough.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/23/11 03:32 AM

I agree that the silcock key is heavy and my EDC does include a Leatherman, when possible. The silcock key is for when the Leatherman isn't possible or must be checked, e.g. government buildings, airplanes, many museums, etc. I guess a needlenose pliers could also substitute, but its at least as heavy and "tools" are often banned in Government buildings. Same as to the Boker Cop Tool. If you want a smallish pry-bar, this is the muti-function bomb at a reasonable cost. Lastly, the TK-4 is easily self applied.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/24/11 03:38 PM

I personally believe the most important thing you can have in a Urban Area is Light. Sunlight and moonlight will only reach so far into buildings and most often going deeper into them beyond the sunlight is required. A Flashlight that takes common cell sizes such as AA or AAA is best in my opinion. C or D cells are to heavy and currently with LED technology don't give much of a leg up for their size and weight.

My favorite forms of light for long term often are the cheapest smallest forms of flashlights. The 6-9 LED 3AAAcell Flashlights are decent for close quarters but do not reach that far. Same with most Inexpensive Pen lights. Often or not You will need to Reach long distances inside a building with a flashlight. Something around the lines of a LED 2AAcell Maglite May work best for those situations but with the amount of flashlights out there it would be easy to find a usable light.

A lantern would be great as well for downtime within a building tho im still not familiar with current lantern LED so on tech.

Last but not least DO NOT rely on Crank, Solar, Shake based Flashlights for emergencies. While in the long term They may Prove useful in the immediate Issues that would occur they may leave you worse off. The 3LED flashlight radio i own states for 3 hours of use you would have to crank it at 2 revs a second for 90seconds. If you have to Run and fast at night that 90 seconds of tiring your arm may be your undoing. Instant usable long term light is the best solution for such occurrences. Getting 15 Hours of up close usable light from a penlight such as the rayovac I own on 1AAA cell which can be changed in a few seconds instead of minutes can be a welcome comfort over cranking a light like a madman every 3 hours.

When You're taking refuge in a Building with no power and its pitch black nothing you carry will matter if you cannot see it.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/25/11 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul810
Just on a side note, if you do have to use a tool like the Res-Q-Me to break a window, make sure you've got some sort of protection on your hands/arms.
Also, if you aren't wearing glasses, it's best to either close your eyes or turn your head away while using the tool,

Finally, keep in mind that some glass can be laminated. This can typically be somewhat tough to get through. Therefore, one might need to be prepared to potentially have to fight their way in or out through this type of glass.

Thanks Paul810, some really good advice. I do have some gloves and glasses handy in the car, but not as part of my EDC. I've been keeping a lookout for a suitable test window. One day I'll go ang buy some from a wrecker (practice for the whole family), just takes time and priority !

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/25/11 03:26 AM

a post I just made on another thread reminded me to mention the need of a NOAA weather alert radio, that allows you to program in your county specific codes, for violent weather warnings... with modern doppler radar and GPS accuracy, they can precisely locate tornadoes,hail, and violent lightning activity...if it goes off at O dark-thirty you know you had better pay attention as it is a location specific warning for you

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/25/11 06:56 PM

"I've been keeping a lookout for a suitable test window. One day I'll go ang buy some from a wrecker (practice for the whole family)."

Suggestion: buy some from a wrecker but leave them where they are, and do it. The height, the frame holding the glass, etc are all going to affect entry. It's not the same just laying it down on the ground and whacking at it.

Since you want to learn from the experience, in situ is the best way. You may find out that breaking in the center and then pulling out the glass with the hook end of a pry bar is the fastest way to gain entry to a vehicle. Or not.

I tried to break the passenger window of a sports car with a 30" pry bar, and couldn't do it. It turned out that the best way to get in wasn't to break the side window, but to push the top edge inward, then reach in and unlock it. I couldn't have foreseen that in a hundred years until I actually had to do it.

Sue

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/25/11 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
I tried to break the passenger window of a sports car with a 30" pry bar, and couldn't do it. It turned out that the best way to get in wasn't to break the side window, but to push the top edge inward, then reach in and unlock it. I couldn't have foreseen that in a hundred years until I actually had to do it.

Funny, I had a similar experience recently. A friend accidentally locked his keys in a running vehicle (a Ford/Mazda extended cab truck). Temp was -23C with windchill below -30C, which made it interesting. My friend had been trying to break the passenger window also (he's no wuss, ex-Air Force survival instructor and heading toward his 50th full marathon). He tried it with a metal snow shovel, then with a landscaping rock the size of a basketball. The window would not break. I showed up, and my 3/4 length axe would probably have done it; but we ended up using a Cold Steel shovel to pry/cut the goo and seal holding the rear side window in place. It took two of us, reefing on it with everything we had and expecting it to shatter in a million pieces at any second. But it came off without a scratch. I couldn't bloody believe it. I need to re-evaluate my notions about exiting a trapped vehicle.
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/25/11 09:11 PM

I've always heard to smack the lower corners of the window and it shatters.

On TV Mike Holmes said that tempered glass would take a hammer hit straight on, maybe shatter, probably not. But hit it on an edge and the glass explodes.

FWIW, not done either. Will check with retired cop sister at some point and see what she says. Rumor said she knocked out a few windows in her time.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/25/11 10:52 PM

Tempered car windows can be quite tough. I've seen guys wail on them with steel ASP batons (which is essentially a collapsible steel pipe with a weighted tip) and have it take multiple strikes to shatter.

A small center punch (or actual spring loader glass breaker) works great though. For their weight, size, and price (or really, lack thereof) there is no reason not to have them handy. it's like the automobile equivalent to carrying a whistle outdoors. wink

Speaking of which, Benchmade's Houdini is an excellent version. You get a spring loaded glass breaker, a seatbelt cutter, whistle, and a flashlight all in one little keyring tool for $20 or less.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/30100

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/26/11 03:34 AM

I remember reports of punks/druggies carrying around an old knob-and-tube ceramic insulator to tap and shatter car windows. The goal of course is theft to support their habits/addictions. Does this still apply or has auto glass moved on? Should I toss one in my glove box?

-Doug, who has noticed abandoned knob-and-tube insulators in his garage and barn

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 02/26/11 11:27 AM

try a spring loaded center punch from the ChiCom tool store near you... usually around $4, buy a couple and use them at the corner of the window for your test... let us know

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/04/11 11:44 AM

... the book Build the Perfect Survival Kit by John D. McCann. I have the PSP but I'm needing an urban survival kit more so than a wilderness kit. I've tried converting my PSP into an urban kit without much success.

I'd recommend adding Cody Lundin's "When All Hell Breaks Loose" to your bedside reading list. He isn't all about having the latest and greatest gear and gadgets, but rather being practical, resourceful and proactive. He is deadly serious about preparation, and this book focuses on urban survival and average people and families.

His presentation style took me a little while to get used to, but now I find him almost easier to read than other authors. (i also appreciate his "don't do anything stupid" approach.) I've added his first book "98* The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive" to my reading list.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/04/11 11:52 AM

It might also be a good idea to include a hard hat (or maybe a bicycle helmet if that would work better for the user). They're somewhat bulky to carry and annoying to wear though, so I find that I carry/wear them probably less than I should. blush

i met a grizzled Scout leader this weekend that wears a hard hat everytime he goes off-roading. he says it's too versatile to leave at home - protection from sun, protection from BANGs (said he started using it after banging his head on his portaging trip), collecting water, gathering edibles, campfire chair...

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/04/11 02:35 PM

Old-school oil riggers used to wear metal hard hats with a full wrap-around brim. I think they were made of aluminum. Potentially a highly useful item and maid-of-all-work.

Looks like some companies are aiming for a comeback of the metal hard hat. No affiliation. http://www.tasco-safety.com/hhats/aluminum-metal-hard-hats.html
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/04/11 03:10 PM

I used to wear an aluminum hard hat but they were replaced by nonconductive plastics because of electrical considerations. In an urban environment that would be an important consideration.

I am a strong believer in protecting the head, having treated way too many cases of cranial trauma, a fair percentage of which were instantly fatal, and several where head protection saved a life.

There are now various models of climbing and kayaking helmets that are protective and comfortable.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/04/11 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
There are now various models of climbing and kayaking helmets that are protective and comfortable.

Yeah, but show me one that keeps your thoughts private AND boils water! laugh
Posted by: comms

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/04/11 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I've added his first book "98* The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive" to my reading list.

To me the best preparedness book I've ever read. I've given about a dozen of these away as gifts and every person thanks me later.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/04/11 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: comms
I've added his first book "98* The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive" to my reading list.

To me the best preparedness book I've ever read. I've given about a dozen of these away as gifts and every person thanks me later.

It's accessible, direct, entertaining, and still has a lot of good information in it. It's the only preparedness book I've ever been able to get my wife to read.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/04/11 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I used to wear an aluminum hard hat but they were replaced by nonconductive plastics because of electrical considerations. In an urban environment that would be an important consideration.

I am a strong believer in protecting the head, having treated way too many cases of cranial trauma, a fair percentage of which were instantly fatal, and several where head protection saved a life.

One thing I've seen lately that I'd like to pick up is a bump cap. Basically they're baseball style hats, but with a rigid plastic liner and some supportive foam. I'm sure it doesn't offer as much protection as a true hard-hat or climbing/bicycling/riot/whatever helmet, but it's better than nothing and it wont look so out of place in an urban environment.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/04/11 06:45 PM

Quote:
One thing I've seen lately that I'd like to pick up is a bump cap. Basically they're baseball style hats, but with a rigid plastic liner and some supportive foam.

Where do you stop though for an urban kit? A lot of high performance protective gear is available for what is really quite small sums of money. The following items could be useful for CBRN terrorist events and even civil disturbances as well as other more naturally based inflicted events such as an earthquake.

Full ballistic Kevlar Mk6A helmet for £80 ($120). The Mk6 is available for around £30 ($45)

http://andysmilitarysurplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=998

S-10 Gas mask for around £40 ($60)

MK4 NBC suit - £17 ($25)

etc etc..

Even carrying around this type of kit around in a vehicle could create suspicion by local police enforcement agencies or at internal security checkpoints run by the TSA for example.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/04/11 09:24 PM

It depends on how into it you can and want to get. Obviously, a full kevlar helmet, gas mask, and chem suit is going to offer the most protection for the widest range of situations. However, they might not be the best choice if you're trying to stay somewhat incognito.

I mean, I could throw that bump cap on to protect my head from rocks and debris, while still blending right in with a crowd trying to get away from a riot or terrorist attack or whatever. On the other hand, if I'm the only guy in the crowd with military surplus gear on, it might be cause for me to be singled out as an instigator or part of the terror plot. I might also end up having a problem with someone noticing what I'm wearing, and then deciding they need it more than I do.

For me, I figure it's best to have some level of protection while, at the same time, being able to blend in as much as possible. That allows me the most options for the widest range of situations.

I mean, I could take my bag and walk throughout most cities in the U.S. with it no problem. Only items that might cause a stir are the multi-tool, swiss army knife, and pliers/pry bar....which are fairly ubiquitous, but can be ditched if I need to get through a checkpoint. Otherwise, my kit is pretty similar to what was given to MTA workers after 9/11, just with higher quality components.

On the other hand, the military surplus items might cause some issues, and they're a bit bulkier/more difficult to carry, as well as more difficult to ditch.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/05/11 12:35 AM

I'd recommend adding Cody Lundin's "When All Hell Breaks Loose"

I might also suggest Just in Case by Harrison. It's a softer pitch than Lundin's work, but I think that also makes it more accessable for some, and it covers things like how to actually use that solar oven and how to sprout. A very good companion.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/05/11 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
I might also suggest Just in Case by Harrison.

thanks for the tip ironraven. i haven't read that one. i'm adding it to the list!

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/05/11 05:31 AM

funny enough, with urban survival kits, I created a urban medical kit to supplement my usual FAK.

Its a couple of Nextcare waterproof bandaids, and then about 4-6 of the following items: pepcid, pepto, Tylenol, benadryl, immodium.

Amazingly I hand out a lot of pepcid.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/06/11 12:21 PM

In the UK that's the arrestable offence of 'going equipped to steal'.
Though maybe getting arrested is a good move in a survival situation. Instantly the law men have to look after you?
If you do find yourself having to steal. Do so openly and leave a cheque or note of your details (written out in advance).
qjs

bacpacjac wrote
>i recently read an article on urban survival kits in "The >Backwoodsman Magazine" that advocates for no less than 3 >seperate lock-picking kits.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/06/11 12:44 PM

i'm with you Joey - illegal and unethical. the idea didn't sit well with me, but, as i said, i mentioned it because it reminded me to add a house key to my own kit.

that magazine has a lot of great ideas in it, but they are written by everyday people from all walks of life. you have to take them all with a grain of salt. - like everything else we see. it pays to spend time thinking before acting. sometimes something off-the-wall can contain the seed of a good idea.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/06/11 01:20 PM

As someone that was trained to pick locks I can say right now.....it's not as easy as it looks. Anyone that thinks it works like it does in the movies would be in for a rude awakening.

It takes a lot of practice and even then it borders on an art form. Some locks are easy, others can be picked but it takes a significant amount of time (hours in some cases), finally others are nearly impossible to defeat with normal lock-picks....more often than not you won't know which lock you have until you attempt it.

For the average person, a set of picks would border on useless. One would really be better off carrying a set of bolt cutters, a power drill, or a sledge hammer, rather than a set of lock-picks, if you really need to get into a locked door.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/06/11 03:08 PM

As someone that was trained to pick locks I can say right now.....it's not as easy as it looks. Anyone that thinks it works like it does in the movies would be in for a rude awakening.

It takes a lot of practice and even then it borders on an art form. Some locks are easy, others can be picked but it takes a significant amount of time (hours in some cases), finally others are nearly impossible to defeat with normal lock-picks....more often than not you won't know which lock you have until you attempt it.

For the average person, a set of picks would border on useless. One would really be better off carrying a set of bolt cutters, a power drill, or a sledge hammer, rather than a set of lock-picks, if you really need to get into a locked door.

I agree. My SO's brother is a professional locksmith. After 26 years experience at this very specialized trade, he can attest that the skill required to pick a lock is not something that you are going to all of sudden, learn in the middle of an urban disaster, especially considering the differences in lock mechanism designs out there.

In an urban disaster situation, I can't think of anyone having to imagine picking a lock. Most locks can be opened much easier using the tools Paul mentioned.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/06/11 05:03 PM

"One would really be better off carrying a set of bolt cutters, a power drill, or a sledge hammer, rather than a set of lock-picks, if you really need to get into a locked door."

For most common house doors, a large pair of vice-grips will do the job. That's what they were using around here some years ago: open, clamp, twist and they're in. Many of the locks now have plastic parts inside -- whose bright idea was that?

Sue

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/06/11 07:23 PM

Many of the locks now have plastic parts inside -- whose bright idea was that?

Sue

It comes from people being cheap. If someone is only willing to spend $20 on their deadbolt, than there are plenty of companies willing to produce locks to that price point.

With that said, there are also plenty of manufacturers that produce higher quality locks. These companies seek certification under ANSI, BHMA, and UL437 standards to insure that their locks will do what they are supposed to. This is why you pay $20 for a Schlage and $200 for, say, a Medeco.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/07/11 03:46 AM

Ive changed out locks a few times and im kinda thinking with a 32oz hammer or so I could prolly knock alota these "locks" out one way or another. Never tried really really would love too!

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/07/11 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Frisket
Ive changed out locks a few times and im kinda thinking with a 32oz hammer or so I could prolly knock alota these "locks" out one way or another. Never tried really really would love too!

A few years back we had a small fire in one of the buildings we were fixing up to rent out. The fire department got in the front door no problem, but by the time I got there they were beating the crap out of the lock on the back door with the back of an axe trying to get in. Apparently they first tried prying it with the halogen tool and still couldn't get in.

I walked over with a broken piece of hacksaw blade I had on the dash of my truck, slide it between the latch and the striker, and popped the door open just as fast as if I had used the key.

Brute force works, but sometimes you don't even need to work that hard. A little imagination goes a long way.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/07/11 05:36 PM

I believe it was Blast who recommended reading a book "102 Minutes: inside the Towers" A fascinating read from people who lived and died in the twin towers right after being struck. It was depressing and heroic and scary. Try to find it.

Of course they didn't use lock picks getting out but several preppers did have 'tools of the trade' to get through walls and stuck doors. Makes you consider what you EDC, what you have in your BOB, where your BOB is at and what is at your desk to supplement a real emergency.

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/07/11 06:22 PM

You can find 102 Minutes at Amazon.
Posted by: DaveT

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/07/11 10:48 PM

Speaking of using other means to get out - I recall a TV interview in the days/weeks after 9/11 - a maintenance guy with his gear to wash windows was stuck in an elevator with a couple guys in suits...they started brute forcing their way through the elevator car. I can't remember all the details, but the window washer stripped the rubber part out of the squeegee and using its metal edge to cut through drywall.
Posted by: DaveT

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/12/11 11:33 PM

And here is the story:

http://www.elevatorbobs-elevator-pics.com/wtc9.html
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Urban Survival Kits - 03/12/11 11:50 PM

"One would really be better off carrying a set of bolt cutters, a power drill, or a sledge hammer, rather than a set of lock-picks, if you really need to get into a locked door."

For most common house doors, a large pair of vice-grips will do the job. That's what they were using around here some years ago: open, clamp, twist and they're in. Many of the locks now have plastic parts inside -- whose bright idea was that?

Sue

A couple of years ago I got locked out when the latch mechanism inside the deadbolt broke. It took the locksmith about 10 minutes with a pair of channellocks to get in. Also, most interior locks can be defeated with a strong grip and a hard twist.