Chicago Blizzard pic

Posted by: GarlyDog

Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/02/11 07:36 PM

If you think you live too close to civilization to get trapped in your car during a storm, check out this picture of Lake Shore Drive, just miles from downtown Chicago from this morning.

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/02/11 10:03 PM

maybe it is---
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/02/11 10:55 PM

Quote:
maybe it is---

whistle
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/02/11 11:10 PM

Nasty drifts on the road, especially if it's wet stuff. Sets up mighty hard. It's that chain link fence that's acting as a "snow fence," slowing down the wind-blown snow and causing it to deposit in drifts.

But blown snow often leaves areas that are quite bare. Looking at the photo, it seems to me that if someone had proper clothing and footwear they could walk out. (Yeah, I know, "if.")
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/03/11 01:01 AM

Another photo...

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/03/11 03:23 AM

Almost looks like they were massively gridlocked, and then the snow drifted in.

Not a whole lot of fun, for sure.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/03/11 03:56 AM

Wow, I wonder what the update of this photo is. At some point, the road becomes usable again. I'm sure some cars will be sitting there because the owners skipped town, said "screw it" or whatever. The sitting cars would be towed I guess.

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/03/11 05:33 AM

in the second photo whats with all the windshield wipers?the ones on the drivers side seem to be all standing up.

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/03/11 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
in the second photo whats with all the windshield wipers?the ones on the drivers side seem to be all standing up.

Good eyes, Canoedogs. Something is screwy with this photo.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/03/11 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Good eyes, Canoedogs. Something is screwy with this photo.

Maybe it's a way of indicating the car is empty, it's been abandonned?
Or just bored neighborhood kids.
-Blast
Posted by: bws48

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/03/11 01:01 PM

I see a lot of people doing the same thing with their wipers when they expect to leave the car out in snow and ice. Apparently the theory is that the wipers will not freeze to the window/become encased in ice, and later it is easier to clean the windows and not have wipers that have been damaged by digging them out of the ice. But usually they do both wipers. . .?

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/03/11 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: bws48

I see a lot of people doing the same thing with their wipers when they expect to leave the car out in snow and ice. Apparently the theory is that the wipers will not freeze to the window/become encased in ice, and later it is easier to clean the windows and not have wipers that have been damaged by digging them out of the ice. But usually they do both wipers. . .?

Just saw a news report that said the wiper up means the car is ready to be towed away.
-Blast
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/03/11 06:20 PM

When I'm expecting snow, I always put the wipers up on the car. It makes it MUCH easier to clean the windshield.

When I'm parking for the night and expecting snow, I put the wipers up and lay an old towel across the windshield. If the pager goes off in the middle of the night, I just pull the towel, and all the accumulated snow, off the car, put the wipers down, and go.

It gives me good enough visibility to make it to the firehouse from my house withouot having to mess with a scraper.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/04/11 01:10 AM

"The sitting cars would be towed I guess."

One word: IMPOUND.

A nice little source of income for tow companies.

Sue

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/04/11 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Just saw a news report that said the wiper up means the car is ready to be towed away.
-Blast

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I looked at the photo and the proportions/angles seemed all wrong. Wondered if someone was messin' with us via Photoshop.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/04/11 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I looked at the photo and the proportions/angles seemed all wrong.

It also seems odd that 95% of the cars are gray, with only a few faded red ones thrown in here and there. And what's with all those jet black side mirrors? Usually side mirrors are the same color as the rest of the paint job, except for on some sports cars and SUV's. I also think the perspective is distorted by the use of a telephoto lens. Normal people just don't go packing their cars together that tightly - unless they're on a ferry crossing a river. It's also odd that the other side of the road is clear of snow and there are no cars, just that one truck in the very upper right corner. I can't put my finger on it, but there are many things here that make me think this picture if faked, or enhanced to make it look worse than it actually is.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/04/11 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: bws48

I don't know anything about that particular picture, but I can confirm the "avoid wiper freezing" trick. But that is only nescessary if you've got A THIN layer of wet stuff that is likely to freeze.

This isn't a problem in blizzard-like conditions. Lots of dry snow = no problem with freezing, even if the car window is heated (it cools very quickly). Lots of wet snow = no problem. Even with wet snow, if it starts freezing it will be just a hard crust on top and looser stuff beneath it.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/04/11 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig

It also seems odd that 95% of the cars are gray, with only a few faded red ones thrown in here and there. And what's with all those jet black side mirrors? Usually side mirrors are the same color as the rest of the paint job, except for on some sports cars and SUV's. I also think the perspective is distorted by the use of a telephoto lens. Normal people just don't go packing their cars together that tightly - unless they're on a ferry crossing a river. It's also odd that the other side of the road is clear of snow and there are no cars, just that one truck in the very upper right corner. I can't put my finger on it, but there are many things here that make me think this picture if faked, or enhanced to make it look worse than it actually is.

The picture is from the msnbc.com website and there was a similar discussion, however the photo was confirmed as real and untouched, meaning not photo-shopped.

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/04/11 01:39 PM

The appearance of unusually-close packing of the cars is just an optical illusion caused by the angle of the picture. The next time you are out driving look where they've painted words like "STOP" on the road. From a distance they look in proportion but as you ride up on the word you'll see it's actually painted in a very stretched-out manner.

-Blast

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/04/11 03:10 PM

survival tip...ok not really--but make sure you turn off your wipers with the switch in freezing rain/snow and just not turn off with the key as you leap out for home.i left mine on and when i used the car again a few day later the wipers turned on when i started the car and being frozen it snapped the hub that is attached to the shaft from the motor.it's bad enough ripping the rubber wiper on a frozen windshield but try finding a hub for a 92 Plymouth,my canoe hauling car that i used for the propane heater try out.i looked all over and a parts store finally tracked down the one of two in the Minnesota area for me.i guess after that i key in on wipers on snowed in cars---
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/04/11 05:46 PM

I raise my wipers when I go snowboarding. It makes it easier to clear the windshield after I return to the car. I always kick myself when I forget and there's a blizzard that day.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/04/11 07:53 PM

That's a good wiper blade tip. I always run mine in one of the pause modes and sometimes if it's between strokes with a long pause I forget they're turned on. When you turn them back on via the ignition circuit, that first stroke has no pause. . .
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/05/11 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Jesselp
When I'm expecting snow, I always put the wipers up on the car. It makes it MUCH easier to clean the windshield.

When I'm parking for the night and expecting snow, I put the wipers up and lay an old towel across the windshield. If the pager goes off in the middle of the night, I just pull the towel, and all the accumulated snow, off the car, put the wipers down, and go.

It gives me good enough visibility to make it to the firehouse from my house withouot having to mess with a scraper.

Canoedogs, I'm surprised you don't know that trick- my wisconsin wife taught it to me. Leaving the wipers up makes it easier to get them going the next morning. A) they don't freeze to the windshield, and potentially damage the rubber when you scrape the window, and B), you can dust off the windshield in the morning without banging them, thus letting them move easier (not moving such a heavy load of snow on the first couple strokes)
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/05/11 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Jesselp

a new neighbor down the street wrapped his entire car in a tarp before this one. he was using the same idea, but bright guy that he is, he forgot to secure the top so lots of snow and ice drifted doen into hus doors and windows anyway.

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/07/11 01:02 PM

More amazing pictures from the blizzard.
-Blast
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/07/11 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast

I guess Gary (pic #21 with the torch) doesn't have much experience with ice. eek

I've seen huge ice storms that created some real messes. A little elbow grease and a decent ice scraper is faster and safer when the ice isn't any worse than the problem in that picture.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/11/11 04:04 AM

Why would people leave their vehicle doors open when they abandon them???

I'm originally from SoCal. Most of those pictures look like 'ell to me!

Sue
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Chicago Blizzard pic - 02/11/11 12:05 PM

I guess the vehicle was well and truly "abandoned," in the full sense of the word - or the driver was well into hypothermia..