Man Bag for the Urban Jungle

Posted by: ireckon

Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/19/10 06:30 PM

I carry a man bag just about whenever I have clothes on. A bug out backpack is not going to be always with me, no matter how light it is. My man bag is intentionally NOT complete because lightness is paramount.

Contents of my man bag, not in order of importance:
-cell phone
-knife (usually goes into pocket instead of man bag)
-small mirror (daytime visual signal)
-whistle (audio signal)
-flashlight (nighttime visual signal and many other uses)
-extra AA battery for flashlight
-money clip with card holder
-Bluetooth earpiece
-72" boot lace and/or other small rope
-medicine case
-pen
-piece of scratch paper

Optional items:
-another small self-defense tool
-water purification tablets
-lip balm
-multi-tool instead of knife

Posted by: Dagny

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/19/10 06:46 PM

Aren't purses wonderful?

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/19/10 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Aren't purses wonderful?

Yes! In real life, I call it a purse actually.
Posted by: ajax

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/19/10 09:51 PM

What's with the MJ gloves?
Posted by: Alex

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/20/10 04:53 AM

Indiana Jones style smile I have a similar (perhaps a bit more dignified, or less obvious) bag too but prefer a waistpack to it when possible (you can use it as a sling bag too) just because it's more convenient to run and less disturbing when walking overall.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/20/10 01:24 PM

Aren't purses wonderful?

It's a satchel!!

(if you haven't seen "The Hangover" you may not get the reference)
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/20/10 03:18 PM

Aren't purses wonderful?

Every now and then, I go to a storage room in our house to get something, and there is a shelf full of my wife's ex-bags. They look womanly and "pursy" off course !! So I - a man - just can't pick one and fill with my EDC and take it to work. I just stare at them in envy. All those pockets and more pockets. What is available for us guys is nothing in comparison !!!

Only once, I picked one - the least womanly looking - and buried it in the car trunk for a "support kit" which conatins ... among other things, a sewing kit !!

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/20/10 03:24 PM

Hey, irecon

You could add a few extras at little (space) cost

In my "purse" , I carry alcohol wipes and bandaids, a few wire ties, and few Q-tips.

Remember that alcohol wipes can be used at firestarter if you have a spark source.

However, depending on where you live, fire may not be that important, especially in a city. I haven't NEEDED to start a fire for many years. Last time I started a fire in my backyard to make tea 'cause it was weekend and I had nothing to do.

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/20/10 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Chisel

Aren't purses wonderful?

Every now and then, I go to a storage room in our house to get something, and there is a shelf full of my wife's ex-bags. They look womanly and "pursy" off course !! So I - a man - just can't pick one and fill with my EDC and take it to work. I just stare at them in envy. All those pockets and more pockets. What is available for us guys is nothing in comparison !!!

Only once, I picked one - the least womanly looking - and buried it in the car trunk for a "support kit" which conatins ... among other things, a sewing kit !!

Male purse-envy. We have come a long way, baby. ;-)

But us chicks are still jealous of all the great pockets in guys' clothes.

Bicycle messenger-style bags work well for guys -- manly men as well as metrosexuals. Leather for work or dress casual, lighter fabric for dressing down.

Jettison those ex-wife bags on e-Bay and fill that shelf with MAN-Bags.

LL Bean has a uni-sex shoulder bag ("Continental Field Bag") that I love so much I have two. I adore waxed cotton/oil cloth for the rustic look and sturdiness. It's also a nice fit for an i-Pad.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60317?parentCategory=9197&feat=9197-tn&cat4=1098

LL Bean has a number of reasonably priced, good quality shoulder bags-messenger bags. Here's a black leather one I've been considering which judging from the customer reviews is popular with men. They also have a brown leather version.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/42872?parentCategory=504159&feat=504159-tn&cat4=504158

Here's their "Expedition Messenger Bag" -- comes in outdoorsy olive, tactical carbon and hunter orange.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63245?parentCategory=504159&feat=504159-tn&cat4=504158

Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/20/10 07:32 PM

Not forgetting of course the Genuine WWII Mark 7 Wartime gas mask bag as worn by Indiana Jones. grin

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/a...gas-685593.html

I used to have a nice leather satchel when I was about 7 years old at primary school back in the 70s which looked like this;

Do manbag owners also have their names written in Biro on little fabric patches sewn in just below the hanging loops of their jackets as well? wink
Posted by: snoman

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/20/10 07:42 PM

Frost River is back online. They seem to make some nice stuff.

Frost River

Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/21/10 12:49 AM

For vehicle emergency kits, largish first-aid kits, I've drifted toward mid-sized shoulder bags like these:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/2-pk-of-used-spanish-shoulder-bags.aspx?a=676347

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=672231&ecid=EX20D

http://www.imsplus.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=30013

I like them smaller than most 'messenger bags' but larger than a typical 'man-purse'. Something large enough to carry the basics for a couple of days. But small and light enough to ride over the shoulder without looking like your hauling a trailer. And definitely something small enough that it is obvious that I'm not carrying a laptop.

I also prefer a worn, low-tech, thrift/surplus store look in a subdued color. Something that will fail to impress and/or temp thieves.

Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/21/10 10:06 AM

Here's my solution from J.W. Hulme. A little expensive, but warranteed for life. I carry the bag into the woods with my PSK and ammo. Have to thank the English for classic shell bags.
Posted by: adam2

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/21/10 11:41 AM

I would agree that any such bag should be small enough to make it clear that you are not carrying a laptop, since such attract thieves.

I try to avoid carrying around my laptop, but when I have to, I use a cheap shopping bag, never a proper laptop bag for that reason.
Posted by: CarlosD

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/21/10 01:27 PM

I also use a "murse" but only when in NYC where most everybody has an extra bag of some sort. Out in the 'Burbs, it's more likely to garner attention.

Mineis mroe geared toward urban needs rather than survival so I think I'll need to at least toss in a PSK. Most commonly, I'll have:

glasses
contact solution and case
Purell
small umbrella
laminated map
moleskine
sharpie and pen
headphones
bottle of water
flashlight
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/21/10 01:57 PM

Sling packs such as these are popular around here along with various man bags.

I prefer these sling packs more as they ride more or less like a backpack yet are very quickly accessed.

Posted by: KG2V

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/21/10 03:20 PM

You do know why we ALL carry an extra bag/backpack in NYC? Mass transit. Unlike most of the nation, most of use don't have a car out in the parking lot, so we all have to carry some 'stuff'
Posted by: Arney

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/21/10 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: KG2V
You do know why we ALL carry an extra bag/backpack in NYC?

+1

That reason, and also when it's hot and sticky in the summer, it really gets uncomfortable having stuff in your pants pockets.
Posted by: CarlosD

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/21/10 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: KG2V
You do know why we ALL carry an extra bag/backpack in NYC? Mass transit. Unlike most of the nation, most of use don't have a car out in the parking lot, so we all have to carry some 'stuff'

Well... exactly. I hope you didn't take my comment as disparaging, because it wasn't meant as such.
Posted by: comms

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/21/10 09:11 PM

I use a backpack mostly but have a mountainsmith day bag and an American Eagle cargo bag. (canvas version of Indy Jones bag). A long way from old dated canvas paratrooper bag or GI map case. My EDC is always on me in whatever I use. It's also been called a murse by those that jest.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/22/10 03:23 AM

Here is another inexpensive solution: the musette bag. They have been used by our military since at least the 1930's that I know of. They can be found at military shows or flea markets. They range from brown, to tan, to olive. Some have a shoulder strap, and some just have straps with snap clips and you have to find a strap for it. You can see the strap and the snap clips in the picture. Personally, I think women stole the idea of purses from soldiers with musette bags.

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/22/10 04:11 AM

Quote:
I would agree that any such bag should be small enough to make it clear that you are not carrying a laptop, since such attract thieves.

I try to avoid carrying around my laptop, but when I have to, I use a cheap shopping bag, never a proper laptop bag for that reason.

My situation is funny because I DON'T carry a laptop but I like to use laptop bags for work ( I like their design ). That results in double stress : fear from theives , and frustration of my colleagues false envy. Some of them think the boss has granted me a laptop !!!

Just in case anyone is interested, here is may favourite design for work bag. It opens completely and EVERYTHING is accessible. Papers, pens ..everything is in front of you. There is a lowere zippered pocket at the bottom for papers that you don't need all the time. I use that for contact numbers, reference sheets ..etc.

There is another zippered pocket in the bag's cover ( cannot be seen in the pic becasuee of open cover ) . This pocket I use for some prep items like flashlight and small folding knife ..etc. )

Mine looks like this one, has no laptopb, although most everyone assumes there is one inside !!!

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/22/10 11:38 AM

I live in Washington, D.C., walk all the time and don't feel any more at risk carrying a briefcase, messenger bag or large tote than I do carrying a purse.

I've been attacked by a purse-snatcher (he was unsuccessful).

Women carrying anything are more at risk than a man carrying a laptop-friendly briefcase or messenger bag.

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/22/10 03:36 PM

There is always room for new inventions in this field. For example, there is a toy flashlight that when you hold and press a button ( for the light to go on ) ... some high voltage shakes you and makes you see stars in broad daylight LOL.

I wish the same principle can be adapted to purses. That ought to make someone thinks twice before trying. hahahaha

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/22/10 03:41 PM

Regarding leather bags. One of my small travel bags is made of leather. They are great and all, but I don't like their closures. I prefer zippers or velcro.

Same for shoes and boots. I don't like laces ( except as additional survival items ). I prefer velcro or none at all.

May have to do with being an impatient person and always in a hurry.

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/22/10 05:03 PM

You can get ordinary shoes with Velcro closures??? shocked The only footware I have that have partial Velcro closures are road and mountain bike cycling shoes only because of the safety factor of laces coming undone and ending up in the front chainwheel.

I've just checked for some UK websites and Velcro closure shoes are available also. I didn't know they were available.

I guess Velcro wasn't around when I was child in the 1970s as we had to contend with laced boots such as the original monkey boot. I'm amazed that they are still available even today. Oh the nostalgia. grin

Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/22/10 07:29 PM

Civilian style backpack (Jansport, Mountain Smith, etc), messenger bag (med/small), soft sided briefcase (portfolio or flap closure type), tote bag with zippered top. These are the things that everybody carries downtown and won't stick out. Look for metal hardware or shoulder strap permanently attached to bag to make snatch and run attacks harder.

Carried in the bag:
*Water
*Snack - Granola, whatever.
*Jacket - Windbreaker, rain, etc. Depends on where you are.
*Sun/rain protection - Depends on where you are.
*Roll of quarters and $1 bills for vending machines and phones.
*Extra cash
*Cell phone + charger
*Street map and small compass
*Public transit map
*Small LED flashlight
*Pocket knife/multi-tool
*Lighter - Depends upon where you are
*Pocket first aid kit with moleskin
*Purell/sanitizer
*Whistle
*Self defense - Something to keep a dog or attacker from closing on you. Depends upon where you are

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/22/10 08:26 PM

I like to carry a small monocular as well when in an urban jungle environment although there isn't much of that type of environment around here. I've been quite impressed with the el cheapo Nikula 7x18 monocular for $10.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3899

It has excellent optical performance for what it costs and is very compact and lightweight. Used it to view dolphins the other day whilst fishing here;

*Snipped by Blast*
People, please keep your pictures (even awesomely beautiful ones like the now-snipped one of this post) to reasonable dimensions!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/23/10 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I guess Velcro wasn't around when I was child in the 1970s

I bought my first velcro equipped item in 1962 - a very nice down bag which employed velcro, rather than a zipper. I enjoyed the startled reactions to the unfamiliar sound when I ripped open the bag.

Oddly enough, the velcro was backed up by snaps at about six inch intervals - in retrospect, an unnecessary precaution.

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/23/10 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

I like to carry a small monocular as well...

+1

I EDC a monocular. A Brunton from REI. Great addition. You just never know...
Posted by: LED

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/23/10 07:54 AM

Recently started carrying the Brunton on daily hikes to try it out. Works great even at 100+ yards (@90 meters). Obviously not binoculars, but the clarity is amazing from such a tiny instrument.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/23/10 12:33 PM

Bicycle messenger-style bags work well for guys -- manly men as well as metrosexuals. Leather for work or dress casual, lighter fabric for dressing down.

A purse is a purse. Call it what you will, it is still an unmanly purse.
Posted by: Compugeek

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/23/10 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ILBob

Men wore purses on their belts for hundreds of years, and called them such. We're reclaiming the convenience.

I've carried some kind of bag since the 70's, and every lady I've had a relationship with just wanted to know if I had room for her wallet so she didn't have to carry a purse or bag at the fair/expo/whatever.

"Manliness" comes from inside, not from what you're wearing. smile

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/23/10 08:41 PM

My girlfriend does not think my purse is unmanly. That's all that matters.

Plus, the flashlight and whistle I carry around have proven their weight in Platinum on a few occasions. :-)
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/24/10 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon

Plus, the flashlight and whistle I carry around have proven their weight in Platinum on a few occasions. :-)

As I am sure they have. That is why mine are on my EDC key ring. I usually have backups and other assorted goodies in my briefcase, which has duplicates of many of the things that my wife carries in her purse - no lipstick or eyeliner, though - just manly items like FAKs, Clif bars, and emergency ponchos.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/24/10 01:44 AM

What about Nessmuk's ditty bag complete with sheath knife?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21050408/Woodcraft-and-Camping-Nessmuk
Posted by: Krista

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/24/10 02:09 AM

Ok. PSK and EDC----- the two acronyms that are used the most here, that I still haven't figured out. And yes, I KNOW there's this huge list on here somewhere of all the acronyms... but that'd be too easy! (my guess: personal survival kit and ....?)

I opened this thread up because I've been thinking about ditching my traditional purse for something like a messenger bag... but the messenger bags tend to be bigger than I want.

I cannot STAND how fabric purses feel, I prefer leather or fake leather, canvas=NO WAY.

I like zipper closures, but can only ever find those on fake leather purses.

But anyway. I love purses. Man purses and woman purses alike.

Hopefully I will find the perfect bag to replace my purse. I can't stand the thought of have to look for and grab my purse in an emergency. I've even sat the thing down in stores and grocery carts, then had to go looking for it! I really really need to get a bag with a long strap that can be permanently and comfortably attached to me!

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/24/10 02:17 AM

EDC = Every Day Carry

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/24/10 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Krista
Ok. PSK and EDC----- the two acronyms that are used the most here, that I still haven't figured out. And yes, I KNOW there's this huge list on here somewhere of all the acronyms... but that'd be too easy! (my guess: personal survival kit and ....?)

I opened this thread up because I've been thinking about ditching my traditional purse for something like a messenger bag... but the messenger bags tend to be bigger than I want.

I cannot STAND how fabric purses feel, I prefer leather or fake leather, canvas=NO WAY.

I like zipper closures, but can only ever find those on fake leather purses.

But anyway. I love purses. Man purses and woman purses alike.

Hopefully I will find the perfect bag to replace my purse. I can't stand the thought of have to look for and grab my purse in an emergency. I've even sat the thing down in stores and grocery carts, then had to go looking for it! I really really need to get a bag with a long strap that can be permanently and comfortably attached to me!

The messenger bags are too big for me too if we're talking everyday all day. I'm 6'2" 200 lbs.

What you want is out there somewhere. It's funny though because I've searched the Internet and can't find what I bought for myself for Christmas 2009.

I can see myself carrying one of these:

http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/in...rentPage=search

http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/in...rentPage=search

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/24/10 02:26 AM

ireckon- i really like the first one... but i wonder how durable? it looks like it would feel niiiice smile

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/24/10 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: comms
EDC = Every Day Carry

Thanks! smile

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/24/10 02:30 AM

This is like the bag I carry all the time right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Bag-by-Leather-Impressions/dp/B0007UNUAK

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/24/10 02:34 AM

That one's nice, definitely one of the manlier man purses I've seen! smile

On a side note, I like the Progressive Insurance commercial, with the guy and his man purse! smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRecos7TcA0

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/24/10 02:39 AM

On a side note, I like the Progressive Insurance commercial, with the guy and his man purse! smile

Nice, but I prefer to wear my bag like a messenger bag (around neck, across torso) to help prevent confusion. cool
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/24/10 06:28 AM

I'm a big fan of backpacks - tiny, small, medium or large, depending on conditions and how much you'd like to carry.

I do see the benefits of a "male purse" or a pouch hanging on a belt around the waist. No offense to anyone wearing those, but I'd rather have a small backpack.

In the bush I can wear a waistpack, but those are a drag in urban settings. You have to take them off to sit down on a conventional chair.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/25/10 05:30 PM

tumi is much pricier, but as a gift that will last a lifetime:

leather: leather

leather with a handle: leather with a handle

the same in ballistic nylon: ballistic nylon
Posted by: Alex

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/25/10 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
In the bush I can wear a waistpack, but those are a drag in urban settings. You have to take them off to sit down on a conventional chair.

Don't be confused by those ugly buttpacks vs. waistpacks! cool

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/25/10 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: bsmith

I thank you for sharing. I've never heard of Tumi until now.

My current leather bag is designed exactly like that $275 Tumi bag. My bag was $40 from Wilson's Leather Outlet in Gilroy, California, (408) 842-7488. I bought two (brown and black) for $80. I've been using the black bag everyday since Christmas, and it's only getting better with wear.

Tumi's nylon bag for $195 is way too pricey for a small nylon bag. I'm a little confused. What else does it do besides be a small nylon bag?
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/25/10 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon

I thank you for sharing. I've never heard of Tumi until now.

My current leather bag is designed exactly like that Tumi bag for $275. My bag was $40 from Wilson's Leather Outlet in Gilroy, California, (408) 842-7488. I bought two (brown and black) for $80. I've been using the black bag everyday since Christmas, and it's only getting better with wear.

Tumi's nylon bag for $195 is way too pricey for a small nylon bag. I'm a little confused. What else does it do besides be a small nylon bag?

you're confused? i'd like to reply but you keep editing your post. four times by my count w/i the last 10 minutes.

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/25/10 09:01 PM

you're confused? i'd like to reply but you keep editing your post. four times by my count w/i the last 10 minutes.

Wow, I didn't realize I had so much power over you. The Quote function works fine for you on my end.
Posted by: pforeman

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/25/10 10:33 PM

I like the idea of the 'waist pack' and have a couple but, like my two, they are often set-up to also carry a firearm - due to this factor, and that most folks in law enforcement / security think "gun" when ever they see one makes them a problem.

I have a medium size waist/belt pouch that seems to solve that problem and has two inside sections and a pouch on the outside. It too is set up for a firearm but sure isn't known for it and looks 'harmless' to 98% of folks out there. I can put my .38 in there or a small automatic (.380 or a 9MM) along with some essential items and it isn't noticeable to any degree. If going into a place where you can't carry weapons it is still very useful and can carry a lot of stuff that would be ok even if you can't have a gun, knife or whatever.

Here's an example of what I am currently using: http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/gun_pak_pouch.html Mine is an older type that isn't as big but, you get the idea. the two sections inside are nice as you can get out your phone, keys or whatever and not expose the "good stuff" in the section behind it even though it's easily accessible.
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/30/10 05:29 PM

Ha ha. Don't you know the man purse is a gateway drug? First, you start with a little bag like ireckon, then, you'll find yourself with a Fatboy, then you find yourself needing a Jumbo and then, before you know it, you are toting a Condor. :-D

Or, how I learned to stop worrying and embrace my inner pack-rat.

-john
Posted by: Blast

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/30/10 08:19 PM

Quote:
Ha ha. Don't you know the man purse is a gateway drug? First, you start with a little bag like ireckon, then, you'll find yourself with a Fatboy, then you find yourself needing a Jumbo and then, before you know it, you are toting a Condor. :-D

Hi, my name is Blast and I've been trying to pawn my Jumbo to help fund my purchase of a Condor... frown

-Blast

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 06/30/10 08:23 PM

Gah! DW (dear wife) makes fun of me every time that commercial comes on. mad
-Blast, who at least isn't nearly as dorky as the guy in the commercial

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 07/01/10 02:11 PM

Cheap security upgrade: clip a carabiner or fasten a snap hook to a convenient attachment point (I use one of the rings the shoulder strap fastens to). When in crowds, clip it to a belt loop.

It's also good for keeping the bag from swinging to your front when you doing a lot of bending or lifting.

I carry a bag, but I can go back to pocket carry anytime I want to. No, really, I can!
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 07/01/10 04:18 PM

Blast,

PM me if you're really looking to get rid of your jumbo Versipack - I'm sure we can work out a deal!

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 07/02/10 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Jesselp
Blast,

PM me if you're really looking to get rid of your jumbo Versipack - I'm sure we can work out a deal!

I was just over at the Mexpedition website and saw the new Mongo Versipack. shocked
I think I'm in love...but I need to lay low for a while. We just replaced our dryer, dishwasher and ac unit. frown At this point I don't think I'll even be able to buy fireworks for the 4th this year. frown frown frown

-(non)Blast

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 07/02/10 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Blast
<snip> At this point I don't think I'll even be able to buy fireworks for the 4th this year. frown frown frown

-(non)Blast

Maybe you could limit yourself to a few small ones? Like ordinary mortals would purchase?

Although then you might have to change your handle to "Pop".

[ducking and running!]

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 07/02/10 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Compugeek
<snip> At this point I don't think I'll even be able to buy fireworks for the 4th this year. frown frown frown

-(non)Blast

Maybe you could limit yourself to a few small ones? Like ordinary mortals would purchase?

[ducking and running!]

Small..ones? Your words do not make sense to me.
-Blast
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 07/02/10 02:55 PM

-(non)Blast

[ducking and running!]

-Blast

(From Blast's blog)

I also know that if you drop a mortar down into the storm sewers all the manhole covers for a block jump up an inch when it goes off.

The neighbors won't let me do that anymore though. Cowards.

Priceless!!
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 07/12/10 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: JohnN

Or, how I learned to stop worrying and embrace my inner pack-rat.

-john

LOL! I've got the Jumbo LEO version, and I'd like to downgrade to something smaller, just can't figure out what I'd be able to do without.

I like the LEO version because it had the phone pouch built-in already at the base of the strap and doesn't have the drawstring liner (though that means it's not as weatherproof). I can just squeeze my 450ml titanium cup into the M16 magazine pouch, and then a 24-oz Camelbak water bottle fits snugly into that. Which is good, because I don't think I could get by building security with two loaded M16 mags. :-) It was hard enough to get a pass for my multi-tool.

Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle - 07/12/10 02:39 PM

-(non)Blast

[ducking and running!]

-Blast

Somehow I missed this until today. Love the pics, and bouncing manhole covers made me chuckle.

But when you say "Oops", is that like the bomb technician saying "try to keep up"?