Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ?

Posted by: MedB

Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/18/10 02:35 AM

When my wife's keychain light died recently, I figured I would take the chance to upgrade her a bit. Specifically, I went looking for a fairly decent led light/whistle combination but I can't seem to find one that fits the bill.

Here is what I am looking for:

1) Key chain/ key fob sized unit (she will only carry it as such)
2) Needs to be a fair quality flashlight (read as: photon/pico/nano/EO1 type level)
3) Needs to have a reliable whistle
4) Can't fall apart from banging on keys
5) $15-$25 ???? hopefully

Yes I know about those cheap plastic 6-in-1 type products, no thanks. And I've seen the jetscream/nano pack but those are seperate items and it doesn't appear as if the jetscream attaches well to keys.

So... am I chasing a myth here or have you seen such an animal?

Thanks,
Posted by: rebwa

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/18/10 03:10 AM

I wear a lanyard with a fox classic whistle, and a Photon Rex light. I actually use the light frequently and purchased it for the rechargeable capabilities. I've had it over a year and charged it several times. So far so good. It's a tad larger than the regular photon lights but of similar style. I think it was under $25.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/18/10 03:15 AM

I would recommend a Fenix LD01 and a separate whistle, of which you have several choices. My wife and I like the ones from REI. For a little more money, and a nicer appearance, I recently bought something called an IlluninaTi (also AAA) for my wife. She appreciates the bullet proof titanium exterior.

With three light levels powered by a lithium AAA cell, the LD01 is a light I would not hesitate to use to follow a trail on an all night hike. If you value utility, I am afraid you must sacrifice compactness. Oh yes, your budget also goes south, as well. That won't matter once you have used either implement in a significant situation.
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/18/10 03:25 AM

The fenix EO1 can be gotten on amazon for $12.90. One light level of ten lumens, very compact, one AAA battery. Perfect for keychain. I love them, and frequently give them as gifts.

Their price has risen in the last six months from $10, and they are becoming harder and harder to find (you know the variation on Murphy;s Law - if it's really a good product they stop making it) so get a couple quickly on amazon.
Posted by: MedB

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/18/10 03:25 AM

Thanks Reb and Hiker. I should have been more clear...

I already have much nicer gear for our BoBs and vehicles. And there is no way I am going to get her to edc something on a lanyard no matter how great it is!

Really I'm just trying to upgrade her old edc keychain light to one with an integrated whistle for personal security/attention reasons.

Hope that helps.

PS: Tom, the Fenix is a great light. If I can't find what I'm looking for (with a whistle) I'm going to get her a new one.
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/18/10 03:32 AM

Just had another look on amazon - the fenix EO1's for $12.90 are gold colored. If you prefer a more subdued color - black or gun metal gray - the cost is just under $16. Still an excellent value.
Posted by: LED

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/18/10 07:22 AM

Buy a Photon Freedom microlight (with covert nose) and mini-Fox 40 whistle. Been using this combination for years now and they both stand up to significant abuse. Photon Freedom from BatteryJunction.com is around $10, mini-Fox 40 is $6 from REI or your local sporting goods store.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/18/10 03:07 PM

Fenix EO-1 and Bison, medium size tubular whistle. Just be safe and superglue the plastic insert, in place, in the whistle. Great,compact and inexpensive combination. It has worked for me for many years. Sneak a UtiliKey and a P-38 onto the keychain and you have a pretty good EDC set-up. The Bison whistle is loud enough for any purpose short of operating around helicpoters or other super loud machinery.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/19/10 05:56 PM

I carry a Fenix LD10 and a Fox 40 Sharx. (Note that's LD10, not LD01.) I know they're out of your price range. I recommend these items anyway because the usefulness/size ratio is huge. I carry these things in a man bag.
Posted by: Hookpunch

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/20/10 06:30 PM

Recently bought an ITP EOS keychain light, a lot brighter than the Fenix E01, 3 levels of brightness and not a whole lot more expensive.

I can recommend them highly.
itp keychain light
Posted by: BillLiptak

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/22/10 05:35 PM

To the best of my limited knowledge the combo whistle/light is much akin to dragons and unicorns. Myth. There may be some junky, cheap ones out there but none of any quality.
Posted by: GoatMan

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/23/10 06:42 PM

Good luck finding a quality combo.

May I suggest the following (I use both):
Pico LED
REI whistle

Modify the whistle. Measure the depth of the inside of the whistle with a tooth pick. Then give yourself a ~1/4 inch beyond that and cut off the back of the whistle. File the end smooth and rounded (I taped the main shaft to protect mine and put it in a drill, then spun it up while filing/sanding the end smooth as new). File a flat edge on both sides of the back and drill a small hole for a 1/4 in split ring on the back. It makes it more compact and carries much better on a key ring. You can also replace the bulky clip on the Pico light with a small split ring.

I hate carring lots of stuff. Especially keys, which I always have with me in my pocket. But this allows for a comfortable carry.

Posted by: Denis

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/28/10 08:26 PM

Has anyone tried Benchmade's Houdini key-chain tool?

It has the whistle & light, but also the car extraction tools (seat belt cutter / window breaker). I was looking at these online a while ago for my wife, but ended up getting her a ResQMe and a Fenix E01 instead.

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 06/29/10 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Denis
Has anyone tried Benchmade's Houdini key-chain tool?

It has the whistle & light, but also the car extraction tools (seat belt cutter / window breaker). I was looking at these online a while ago for my wife, but ended up getting her a ResQMe and a Fenix E01 instead.

Is your wife going to carry around two spare LITHIUM CR1216 batteries? If not, I'd pass on this product. The battery WILL go bad.

With the Fenix E01, your wife can easily carry around one (or two) extra AAA batteries. Also, she's more likely to find AAA at a gas station or any other store.

Also, that multi-function of that tool for $20 makes me doubt that all the features work well. A window breaker, a seat belt cutter, a flashlight, and a whistle, you get all those things for just $20. Don't expect quality.

When you need those features, you REALLY need them. I'd much rather have a separate knife, separate flashlight and separate whistle that I know for certain just work. I can connect the separate items with a key ring if desired. I can keep them apart if desired. I can replace each separate item as desired.

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 11/24/12 12:08 AM

Old thread wake up...

We often talk about products we like, but not so much about products we hate. Avoid this whistle at all costs.
http://www.gadgettown.com/Aluminum-Whistle-Keychain-Silver.html

It's one of those tubular aluminum whistles. It's not even worth it if you get it for a buck. I just got it in the mail. It's a cute party favor, but not a survival item. It's not loud at all. This is a whistle to give to someone when you intentionally don't want their whistle to be loud (e.g., you just want them to be able to get your attention indoors). If you have this whistle and think it's loud, then you must not have any experience with truly loud whistles. I own a cheap plastic pea whistle that's much louder than this piece of junk, and I'm not even talking about my best whistles.

I've been looking for something smaller than a Fox 40 Sonik Blast, but this whistle is larger than I visualized in my mind. I will not be using this whistle as a survival item, not even as a cheap backup.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 11/24/12 03:06 AM

after trying a couple of the "pea less" whistles (one of which I lost due to a weak attachment ring), I perceive a louder sound out of a plain old brass referee whistle... I'm sure it has something to do with old age, and loss of hearing in the 4000 Hz range...but nevertheless, chose one along with a Fenix E01 and a lithium AAA cell...it does make a "clinking" sound when it rattles against keys, but its durability more than makes up for it...YMMV... top of picture

Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 11/24/12 06:52 AM

After a similar weak attachment ring resulted in the loss of my "fauxton" light I also replaced it with a purple Fenix 01 with a lithium cell. Very nice little light. Two modes, on and off! Perfect for me.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 11/24/12 02:05 PM

Harbour Freight has a tubular aluminum whistle that is like $1 on sale and attaches nicely to a keychain. I got one for my wife a couple years ago. It is still doing fine.

I see something similar on eBay for under $1 shipped on a regular basis.

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 11/24/12 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ILBob
Harbour Freight has a tubular aluminum whistle that is like $1 on sale and attaches nicely to a keychain. I got one for my wife a couple years ago. It is still doing fine.

I see something similar on eBay for under $1 shipped on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the whistle I hate, as I mentioned above.
Posted by: yeti

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 11/25/12 10:28 PM

I was given one of these years ago. I've even used it in hill country during the winter. I would not say it is the best whistle I own, but it did the job when needed twice. I happened to have it readily available at each of those instances. So, I'd agree it isn't the best, but what other $3 whistle would you say was better?

BTW, the reason I had it available was that it was the backup whistle, on my belt as it fits in a swiss army knife sheath WITH the swiss army knife and I left my bigger kits out of reach. This whistle does have *some* application given that I can stick it almost anywhere with a little give. Again, I wouldn't put it up against the decibel levels of a larger-sized whistle. If that's my main criterion, then I go for the storm whistle (http://www.stormwhistles.com/).
Posted by: haertig

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 11/26/12 05:53 PM

LesSnyder - Excellent choice of holster in that pic. Andrews Leather. Highly recommended. I have been using the exact same holster for years and love it!

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 11/26/12 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: yeti
I was given one of these years ago. I've even used it in hill country during the winter. I would not say it is the best whistle I own, but it did the job when needed twice. I happened to have it readily available at each of those instances. So, I'd agree it isn't the best, but what other $3 whistle would you say was better?

BTW, the reason I had it available was that it was the backup whistle, on my belt as it fits in a swiss army knife sheath WITH the swiss army knife and I left my bigger kits out of reach. This whistle does have *some* application given that I can stick it almost anywhere with a little give. Again, I wouldn't put it up against the decibel levels of a larger-sized whistle. If that's my main criterion, then I go for the storm whistle (http://www.stormwhistles.com/).

Every whistle I have is better, even ones I bought for a buck. I may have a defective one or something. I can't understand how anybody would think this tubular aluminum whistle is loud.

I consider all whistles under $8 to be in the same price range. I base my decision on size, pitch, ease of blowing, etc. When size is no consideration, then it's all about the "loudest," which is fuzzy science. My Storm and my Fox 40 Sonik Blast are probably my loudest whistles. The Fox 40 Sonik Blast hurts my ears the most. However, reports have indicated the Storm carries farther than the Fox 40 Classic (which I don't own) because of the Storm's lower pitch. I also own the Fox 40 Sharx (also very loud) and several generic whistles that give the big names a run for their money.

I just bought some small whistles that are supposed to be loud:
Victorinox Distress ($1 + shipping on eBay)
JetScream ($5 or so on eBay)
ACME Tornado 636 Slimline ($5 or so on eBay)

I'll try to remember to come back here and critique. If I forget, send me a message.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 11/26/12 07:44 PM

The Fox 40 Sharx is not only loud, but it isn't as big/bulky as the Storm. IMO it's a very efficient design.

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 11/30/12 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
I just bought some small whistles that are supposed to be loud:
Victorinox Distress ($1 + shipping on eBay)
JetScream ($5 or so on eBay)
ACME Tornado 636 Slimline ($5 or so on eBay)

Of these three small whistles I bought, I highly recommend the ACME Slimline. The pitch is a bit lower than than Fox 40 Sonik Blast, and the volume is almost as loud. It hurts my ears regardless. The ACME Slimline is the smallest of those three listed, and is considerably slimmer than the Fox 40 Sonik Blast. Pocket carrying the Fox 40 Sonik Blast annoys me in some pants, where the ACME Slimine doesn't bother me.

The JetScream is just OK. I have other whistles that are better in every way. This whistle won't get any keychain time.

The Victorinox Distress (aka, TOPS) is a learning experience. I learned it doesn't matter to me that it's so slim. It's not loud at all. Some people consider it loud. My eardrums must be built differently.
Posted by: spuds

Re: Myth: Decent keychain light/whistle ? - 12/27/12 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: tomfaranda
The fenix EO1 can be gotten on amazon for $12.90. One light level of ten lumens, very compact, one AAA battery. Perfect for keychain. I love them, and frequently give them as gifts.

I got this,everything everyone says about quality,thanks for the advice on Fenix

LED provides 27 Lumens (ANSI Certified) of light from amazing 2.5 inch body
Light provides wide beam of light that will reach over 78 ft
Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard, 2 meters for 30 minutes
Body Size: 6.5" (Length) x 1" (Diameter); 3 ounces; Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard