Does anyone use water purifiers?

Posted by: sunna

Does anyone use water purifiers? - 04/27/10 12:58 AM

Does anyone use water purifiers ? the same as title,if you use it, what brand?
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Does anyone use water purifiers? - 04/27/10 01:13 AM

There are some recent and related water storage / treatment threads here and here that may you help out.
Posted by: alanz

Re: Does anyone use water purifiers? - 06/15/10 02:49 PM

I have a Katadyn pocket water filter. I've already used it to drink pond water, and with replacement filters and proper care it can last many years.
Posted by: rebwa

Re: Does anyone use water purifiers? - 06/15/10 03:23 PM

I’ve yet to invest in a water filter as I live on property with a private well and I’m set up with a generator and I don’t backpack. Plus I keep several 55 gallon plastic drums of water, rotated out several times per year, on hand as well. On my day hikes I can carry the necessary water for me and my two dogs, they often carry their own water. For emergency use I do keep Katadyn Micro pur Mp 1 tabs both in my backpack and in my SUV. One tab treats 1 quart of water in 4 hours. I think one has to access their individual needs for what is the best system. If I lived on city water or did recreational backpacking then I’d definitely invest in a filer.

There is a 3 year expire date on the Katadyn tabs so they do have to be rotated out.
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Does anyone use water purifiers? - 07/12/10 05:01 AM

At home I use a Brita.

Camping I use a First Need XL, having just replaced my Pur (now Katadyn) Hiker Pro, which somehow got cracked.

On my BoB I have the guts from a Sawyer filter bottle connected to the flip-n-sip top from a Camelbak bottle in a 1L Nalgene (because the Sawyer bottle won't fit in my cup, and I like the Camelbak flip-top better than the Sawyer). I also have Aquamira 2-part chemical treatment and a 2L Platypus Big Zip bag for bulk purification.

In my EDC I just carry Micropur tablets and a bandanna.
Posted by: comms

Re: Does anyone use water purifiers? - 07/12/10 06:35 AM

Also Brita at home. Tap water here is potable but tastes nasty. I love First Need, got me through an epic natural disaster in the south pacific when there was no good water. I also have an older Pur, but mostly carry the original SteriPen. No probs with it. My EDC and back ups are Katadyn Micro pur tabs.