Commuting on the train

Posted by: chaosmagnet

Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 01:03 PM

For more years than I'd like to admit, I've been commuting via car exclusively. This lets me carry a lot of gear and be well-prepared for a number of situations that have arisen. I'm starting a new job in a week that will have me riding the commuter rail some of the time. I'll be restricted to what's in my pockets and laptop bag.

Here's what I have with me:

• Water
  • a couple of Clif bars
  • Flashlights (a Quark 123 in my pocket, a Maratac 9290 as my primary work light, an iTP A3 EOS Upgrade, and a Fenix E01 as a final backup)
  • peanut lighter
  • Leatherman Wave (pre-2004)
  • Leatherman Squirt P4
  • screwdriver with a variety of bits
  • cable ties
  • Mini RitterGrip
  • 1-person Heatsheets survival blanket
  • Small first aid kit
  • iPhone
  • Two different ways to charge my iPhone (USB battery and USB charging cable for laptop)
  • Outerwear appropriate for walking at least a mile outdoors in the local range of weather
  • dress shoes
  • laptop, business cards, cables, adapters, notepad, pens, sharpie, blank CD-ROMs

It's all urban or suburban between work and home.

Understanding that I'm sharply limited in weight and bulk, what should I add to this list?
Posted by: nurit

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 01:36 PM

Consider adding a whistle and earplugs. For me these are essential urban EDC in case I get trapped in an elevator or collapsed building.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 01:52 PM

You did not secifiy how far you have to take the train. Is your planning to take into account a walk home? If so a paper map (to compliment presumably Google maps on your iPhone) would be very handy as you may be forced to depart the train in an unfamliar area. For example, one of the commuter trains near here spans a distance of 65 km (40 miles). If I ever had reason to take the train and was forced to get off it due to xyw crisis then had to walk home, even 1/2 the distance, a local map would show many more otional routes that would not be as apparent when you are driving.

I would also add some cash in small currency and perhaps also a local phone company caling card as it is quite common for cell networks to be overlaoded during a crisis.

Finally add a small 1/2 roll of TP in a ziploc bag or a travelers pack of baby wipes as you never know when you will need it...
Posted by: Lono

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 03:28 PM

Commuting by train implies distance - you have dress shoes, can you cache a sturdier walking shoe at your place of business, or are you comfortable walking the entire distance in these dress shoes? I have some Rockport Dressports, I travel and often walk many miles in cities with them, they're comfortable and I am confident that they would get me home from most distances.

Like Teslinhiker said, you don't specify how far you are from home - and why do you need to get there; is there a child in daycare, a wife expecting you every night at 6? Home is nice, but if you are really distant you may need to face up to the fact that you won't be getting home right away, or even for a few days. On the one hand you can walk all day for a day or two, or you might have a prearranged plan for your child or wife, someone to care for them, and make it home as soon as you can.

Think situationally for a minute - if something rules out travel by train or hitching a ride with a co-worker, where would you go, would you go all the way home, stay at work, or someplace else? Make a plan - if your train commute is disrupted - and try to make it flexible enough to cover whatever it is you may experience: winter storms, earthquakes, floods etc, whatever happens whereever you live. I am either thousands of miles from home, or within about 7 miles most of the time, but a few times I can be 20+ miles from home, and I need a plan to be on my own in the event of a disaster, especially if an earthquake takes out one of our floating bridges. Think about it, you may have a friend or relative who lives reasonably close to your place of work, where you can crash and wait things out; or find out if your new co-workers live nearby, and cultivate those relationships :-) Or for garden variety disruptions, booking a room at a nearby hotel/motel while waiting for things to get back to normal can be a welcome change.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 03:32 PM

My first impression is that you are carrying more than you need in some categories. If you have the Wave, I think you can dispense with the folder and the Squirt, and you won't necessarily even require the screwdriver. I EDC the same model Wave that you specify, BTW. Same with flashlights - two should be plenty. Consider carrying an extra battery for the ones you pick, or better yet, see that they share a common battery type. (but I can tell by your outfit that you are a flashoholic....)If you are a flashoholic, you will readily agree that a small headlamp could be extremely versatile and handy as one of your two sources of light.

I would add an auxiliary cash stash, totally separate from your wallet. Perhaps pack a throwdown wallet for those really bad situations.

I would also definitely add some kind of keychain whistle. Does you FAK include some kind of barrier gloves (e.g., nitrile?) They could be very handy.

Can you walk comfortably in your dress shoes? for longer than expected distances? over debris and uneven ground? Consider switching out the dress shoes for something more practical when you leave your office for the commute. I have had to deal with this problem for years and it ain't easy...

The Banana Bread Clif bars are the best,IMO. Best to do some controlled taste testing.
Posted by: barbakane

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 04:53 PM

I would add a bandana, possibly a small compass to augment the map...just in case.
Posted by: philip

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 06:21 PM

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/swiss-chocolate-knife

What will you do with cable ties?
What do the wave and the squirt together add that you couldn't do otherwise?
Four flashlights? How long is it dark in your winter on the train?
What do you plan on lighting with the lighter?
How will you use the blank CD-ROMs in an emergency?

What do you wear to work? Suit? Casual? Would a photographer's vest look out of place?*

I'd recommend either a dust mask or a good bandanna. I'd recommend a pair of leather work gloves - train wrecks can leave broken glass and sharp metal edges around.

A glowstick or other light you can leave behind if there are trapped people you want to give some solace to and light the way for rescuers.

*I have a couple of photographers vests, and I wear one when flying - it gives me the equivalent of a 3d carry on that the people at the gate either never notice or don't mention. I have an ARRL patch and a khaki US flag (the vests are khaki). There are lots of hams out there, and I get some comments from them. That gives me someone who might reach out to me if I need it. The US flag draws occasional favorable comments from the TSA agents and some passengers. It's muted, so it's not over the top, but it's noticed by some. (There's a name for the muted khaki patch, but I can't remember it.) Each vest has a couple of other patches, too, but they're meaningful to me; they make the vests non-threatening, non-military.

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: nurit
Consider adding a whistle and earplugs. For me these are essential urban EDC in case I get trapped in an elevator or collapsed building.

I do carry earplugs. A whistle is a great idea, I'll add one (my standard whistle is the Fox 40 Micro).

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
You did not secifiy how far you have to take the train. Is your planning to take into account a walk home? If so a paper map (to compliment presumably Google maps on your iPhone) would be very handy as you may be forced to depart the train in an unfamliar area. For example, one of the commuter trains near here spans a distance of 65 km (40 miles). If I ever had reason to take the train and was forced to get off it due to xyw crisis then had to walk home, even 1/2 the distance, a local map would show many more otional routes that would not be as apparent when you are driving.

It's roughly 40 miles. I know the streets between work and home intimately and I'm confident that I can navigate home successfully on foot without a map. The only maps that are really good for this area are too bulky to carry, so unless I find one that's small enough but still has sufficient detail to be worthwhile, I will probably have to skip this one.

I would also add some cash in small currency and perhaps also a local phone company caling card as it is quite common for cell networks to be overlaoded during a crisis.

There are very few payphones around here. If the cell network goes down or is overloaded, finding a payphone may not be possible. On the other hand, it's a small investment in money, space and weight.

Finally add a small 1/2 roll of TP in a ziploc bag or a travelers pack of baby wipes as you never know when you will need it...

This is a very fine idea.

Originally Posted By: Lono
Commuting by train implies distance - you have dress shoes, can you cache a sturdier walking shoe at your place of business, or are you comfortable walking the entire distance in these dress shoes? I have some Rockport Dressports, I travel and often walk many miles in cities with them, they're comfortable and I am confident that they would get me home from most distances.

I could do it if I had to in terms of comfort...unless there's more than an inch of snow on the ground. It's not yet clear to me if I'll be able to cache boots at the office.

Like Teslinhiker said, you don't specify how far you are from home - and why do you need to get there; is there a child in daycare, a wife expecting you every night at 6? Home is nice, but if you are really distant you may need to face up to the fact that you won't be getting home right away, or even for a few days. On the one hand you can walk all day for a day or two, or you might have a prearranged plan for your child or wife, someone to care for them, and make it home as soon as you can.

My wife stays at home, so the reasons to get home in the event of a major disaster would be to get to where more guns and ammo are, as well as more gear and stored food. Not to mention getting away from the urban center full of unprepared people. If it took a day or two, that wouldn't necessarily be a big deal.

Think situationally for a minute - if something rules out travel by train or hitching a ride with a co-worker, where would you go, would you go all the way home, stay at work, or someplace else? Make a plan - if your train commute is disrupted - and try to make it flexible enough to cover whatever it is you may experience: winter storms, earthquakes, floods etc, whatever happens whereever you live. I am either thousands of miles from home, or within about 7 miles most of the time, but a few times I can be 20+ miles from home, and I need a plan to be on my own in the event of a disaster, especially if an earthquake takes out one of our floating bridges. Think about it, you may have a friend or relative who lives reasonably close to your place of work, where you can crash and wait things out; or find out if your new co-workers live nearby, and cultivate those relationships :-) Or for garden variety disruptions, booking a room at a nearby hotel/motel while waiting for things to get back to normal can be a welcome change.

If credit cards and/or cash work I can always take a taxi or rent a room. If those aren't feasible I'd be looking into holing up at the office or crash at a friend's house. I'd hoof it home if that seemed like the best choice, but I'd sure rather not. During warmer months if I could cache a bike at work that would make things a lot easier.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
My first impression is that you are carrying more than you need in some categories. If you have the Wave, I think you can dispense with the folder and the Squirt, and you won't necessarily even require the screwdriver.

The folder is on my person at all times along with the Squirt. The Wave lives in my laptop bag. The screwdriver is used for work, so that has to stay. I guess I could get rid of the Squirt, but I often find it handy to have tools with me that don't require a trip back to the laptop bag.

I EDC the same model Wave that you specify, BTW. Same with flashlights - two should be plenty.

You would think so, wouldn't you :-). The two AAA lights are small and light, the other two are "mandatory" in my mind. I do have a spare AA cell for the 9290, but no spare cell closer than my car or home for the Quark 123.

Consider carrying an extra battery for the ones you pick, or better yet, see that they share a common battery type. (but I can tell by your outfit that you are a flashoholic....)If you are a flashoholic, you will readily agree that a small headlamp could be extremely versatile and handy as one of your two sources of light.

I could get another Prism to keep in my laptop bag for the Quark. That's a good idea.

I would add an auxiliary cash stash, totally separate from your wallet. Perhaps pack a throwdown wallet for those really bad situations.

Another good idea.

I would also definitely add some kind of keychain whistle. Does you FAK include some kind of barrier gloves (e.g., nitrile?) They could be very handy.

No, but that's an easy fix.

Can you walk comfortably in your dress shoes? for longer than expected distances? over debris and uneven ground? Consider switching out the dress shoes for something more practical when you leave your office for the commute. I have had to deal with this problem for years and it ain't easy...

This in my mind is the weakest part of my equipment. My dress shoes are sturdy and comfortable, but if I had something better I'd be happier. It's possible that I'll be able to wear boots on the move and stash my dress shoes at the office; I'll find out after I start the job.

The Banana Bread Clif bars are the best,IMO. Best to do some controlled taste testing.

I can't stand banana in any form. Clif bars have been the primary food item in my car and laptop bag for years, so I buy in bulk and I know what flavors I like. With that said, I completely agree with your advice for a controlled taste test.

Originally Posted By: barbakane
I would add a bandana, possibly a small compass to augment the map...just in case.

Great ideas.

Originally Posted By: philip
What will you do with cable ties?

Wrap up cables :-). While I can think of survival uses for them, I carry them for work.

What do the wave and the squirt together add that you couldn't do otherwise?

Explained above.

Four flashlights? How long is it dark in your winter on the train?

I figure there's one to lend to a customer (or coworker, or fellow passenger), one to break, and the E01 serves as the best battery carrier I have for the iTP.

What do you plan on lighting with the lighter?

Good question. In this area if I'm starting a fire for warmth instead of finding somewhere to be inside, I'm probably screwed. It just seems wrong to not have any source of fire with me.

How will you use the blank CD-ROMs in an emergency?

Signal mirror? Barter for other supplies? Burn music for someone's old Walkman from my laptop? They're mostly for work.

What do you wear to work? Suit? Casual? Would a photographer's vest look out of place?

Button-down shirts and slacks with my dress shoes. A photographer's vest wouldn't work for me, sadly.

I'd recommend either a dust mask or a good bandanna. I'd recommend a pair of leather work gloves - train wrecks can leave broken glass and sharp metal edges around.

Good ideas, both. I'll have gloves with me during colder months, but I'll make sure that I have them all the time.

A glowstick or other light you can leave behind if there are trapped people you want to give some solace to and light the way for rescuers.

That's another good use for the E01.

Thank you all for the excellent advice! I've got some things to get for my bag.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 09:19 PM

I carry a 4 inch pin-on button that says "Please face me: I lipread." I got this at a conference for the hearing impaired about ten years ago. I carry it whenever I have to travel. I do have some hearing loss, but the most important thing this pin does, is it gets me out of conversations with other people, when I really have work to do while I'm traveling. You'd be surprised how quickly people give up, when you misread their lips:

Seatmate: "Where are you going?"
Me: "What do you mean 'where are my goats?' I don't have any goats. If I DID have goats, they'd be checked as baggage."

Seatmate: "Have you been deaf since birth?"
Me: "No, I haven't been red since birds."
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 09:31 PM

For train riders, or anyone else commuting over a considerable distance, it pays to cultivate friends along the route. Develop a friendly, trusting relationships with persons and businesses along the way and it is simple enough to entrust them with a foot locker or other suitable container that might be stuffed into a corner, or placed above a drop ceiling, and forgotten except for the twice yearly restocking.

Of course the nature of such relationship is highly variable and entirely up to you to negotiate. It could be anything from a friendly, but strictly business, relationship where you pay for the space used.

Or it might be a reciprocal 'couch surfing' arrangement where, subject to approval, either party might save time and money by relatively casually crashing on the others couch. Such relationships can be mutually beneficial, but not without potential conflicts. Many people commute and regularly travel to work or regular meetings. Having a place to crash, and in return providing a place, can make travel, and emergencies, much easier to cope with.

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 09:33 PM

Accidental double-post.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/11/10 11:41 PM

Serious lack of first aid supplies: minor scratches kit, izzy bandage, quick-clot, duct tape/waterproof medical tape, blister bandages, etc.; extra socks (wool or polypro); Boker Cop Tool;leather or nomex+leather gloves;4-way silcock key; something to carry water in; water pure tabs/ water filter bottle; emergency poncho; foil blanket; small am-fm radio. You need an urban emergency kit. A decent one can be assembled with about a 3-4lb. weight factor. I suggest you shift to a laptop friendly, non-tactical backpack.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 12:08 AM

I have been commuting by bus for just under 14 years.

Everything I carry in my backpack I've used at one time or another. You're carrying more than needed.

- Outerwear appropriate for walking at least a mile outdoors in the local range of weather

Well, you should be WEARING that right?

- dress shoes

I don't get this. Why would you carry dress shoes?

- iPhone Charging

Yeah, everyone with an iPhone needs a LOT of backup power options smile

I'd add:

Bandanna, Chapstick, Small sunscreen, $100, Small Towel. The towel is no joke - the small towel I have get a lot of use - I put it in my lap if I have tea to drink, I roll it up as a pillow, I wrap fragile things in it. Very handy.

Standardize your flashlights to AA or AAA batteries, match your external USB charger. Carry Lithium spare - much lighter.

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 12:09 AM

++ On that. Forgot to add that to my list of "commuter essentials"

Posted by: Susan

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 02:08 AM

"My wife stays at home, so the reasons to get home in the event of a major disaster would be to get to where more guns and ammo are, as well as more gear and stored food."

May I assume your wife is familiar enough with the weapons to hold the fort until you get home? I hope.

"If it took a day or two, that wouldn't necessarily be a big deal."

Forty miles in a day or two? That's under ideal circumstances. Forty miles through "enemy territory"? I doubt it.

Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré, commander of the joint task force in the Hurricane Katrina situation, said that local governments prepare for best-case scenarios, when they should be preparing for worst-case scenarios. I think that's something important to keep in mind. My usual max for distance away from home on my job is about 85 miles, and the biggest most-likely disaster is a major earthquake. On foot (practically guaranteed), I am assuming that it might take me somewhere in the vicinity of TWO WEEKS or so to get home. Getting across the three rivers could be an additional major problem.

Sue
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
It's roughly 40 miles. I know the streets between work and home intimately and I'm confident that I can navigate home successfully on foot without a map. The only maps that are really good for this area are too bulky to carry, so unless I find one that's small enough but still has sufficient detail to be worthwhile, I will probably have to skip this one.

40 miles is a long way from home if you were on foot. If I were to draw separate lines to N/S/W/E compass points 40 miles out in my AO, I would not be looking forward to a walk of this distance.

I can walk 5-1/2 miles in just over an hour (70 minutes) on pavement/good terrain with good proper shoes (not dress style) however I could not keep this pace up more then 2, maybe 3 hours tops on a good day without fatigue setting in and my speed dropping substantially. If your pace drops down to 3 miles an hour, do the math and you will see that a 30 mile walk can be 10 hours for more. Also keep in mind, even walking requires regular training. There is a local walking charity event here that is 30 kms (18 miles) in length and every year hundreds of "fit" people drop out due to sore feet / ankles, sore shin muscles etc.

I really suggest the maps and only the carry the essential, meaning cutting the map(s) to include your possible routes only. Alternatively save some offline Google Maps to your iPhone as every block or 1/4 mile saved by shortcutting through parks, shopping complexes etc can make a big difference when your hoofing it.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 03:24 AM

40 miles is a long way from home if you were on foot. If I were to draw separate lines to N/S/W/E compass points 40 miles out in my AO, I would not be looking forward to a walk of this distance.

I can walk 4-1/2 miles in just over an hour (70 minutes) on pavement/good terrain with good proper shoes (not dress style) however I could not keep this pace up more then 2, maybe 3 hours tops on a good day without fatigue setting in and my speed dropping substantially. If your pace drops down to 3 miles an hour, do the math and you will see that a 30 mile walk can be 10 hours for more. Also keep in mind, even walking requires regular training. There is a local walking charity event here that is 30 kms (18 miles) in length and every year hundreds of "fit" people drop out due to .

I really suggest the maps and only the carry the essential, meaning cutting the map(s) to include your possible routes only. Alternatively save some offline Google Maps to your iPhone as every block or 1/4 mile saved by shortcutting through parks, shopping complexes etc can make a big difference when your hoofing it.

Good advice on the expectations to maintain for walking out. Most people only walk at 1.5 to 2 mph. If they press they are prone to "sore feet / ankles, sore shin muscles etc" and once you have get sore feet or shinsplints your chances of speeding up get slim without risking considerable, possibly demoralizing, pain and significant injury.

I wouldn't be too quick to cut down maps. Savings tend to be insignificant and the maps themselves are a resource. If you treat them to make them water resistant they are potential ground sheets, insulation, tinder. Rolled they are splints. That, and you never know where you might end up during an emergency. People have been diverted fifty miles and more by industrial accidents, bridges going down, etcetera.

Also it pays to have updated forestry service and topo maps of the area. Road maps often leave a lot out and the difference between being stuck and a minor inconvenience is sometimes in the details.

If hard-copy maps get bulky any full-service copy shop can provide useful services like changing scale, printing maps on both sides of a sheet, and printing on waterproof and tear resistant Mylar or Tyvek sheeting.

Depending on how hard-core you want to go you might get them printed on Tyvek or silk, and have it stitched into a jacket.

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Serious lack of first aid supplies: minor scratches kit, izzy bandage, quick-clot, duct tape/waterproof medical tape, blister bandages, etc.; extra socks (wool or polypro); Boker Cop Tool;leather or nomex+leather gloves;4-way silcock key; something to carry water in; water pure tabs/ water filter bottle; emergency poncho; foil blanket; small am-fm radio. You need an urban emergency kit. A decent one can be assembled with about a 3-4lb. weight factor. I suggest you shift to a laptop friendly, non-tactical backpack.

I do have a small FAK, like I said. I'm all set for minor scratches. With regard to the trauma supplies, they're pretty bulky.

Duct tape is a good idea.

Extra socks I might cache at the office. I'd be reluctant to add the bulk to my laptop bag.

What does the cop tool get me that my folder and Wave don't?

I do have leather gloves when the weather calls for it, and I posted previously that I'll start carrying them when it doesn't.

Does a silcock key do anything that my Wave doesn't? I've got my water bottle. Water purification tabs are a good idea.

Rather than an emergency poncho I'm more likely to have my rain shell with me. I do have a Heatsheets blanket on my list.

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
- Outerwear appropriate for walking at least a mile outdoors in the local range of weather

Well, you should be WEARING that right?

That's what I meant, same for the shoes.

Bandanna, Chapstick, Small sunscreen, $100, Small Towel. The towel is no joke - the small towel I have get a lot of use - I put it in my lap if I have tea to drink, I roll it up as a pillow, I wrap fragile things in it. Very handy.

Bandanna was added to the list. Chapstick and sunscreen are excellent additions. A bandanna can serve as my small towel.

Standardize your flashlights to AA or AAA batteries, match your external USB charger. Carry Lithium spare - much lighter.

All my flashlights are running lithium primaries. I have a spare AA (plus a "spare" AA in my laptop mouse) and my E01 serves as carrier for a spare AAA. The USB charger is a lithium-ion battery pack that is recharged via USB as well as providing USB and other sorts of power. It's good for two "zero-to-hero" charges on my iPhone. I keep it charged.

I respectfully disagree about standardizing on batteries; I'm not giving up my Quark 123 for anything and I'm more likely to be able to successfully scrounge if any one of AA, AAA and 123 will work for me.

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
May I assume your wife is familiar enough with the weapons to hold the fort until you get home? I hope.

You bet she is.

"If it took a day or two, that wouldn't necessarily be a big deal."

Forty miles in a day or two? That's under ideal circumstances. Forty miles through "enemy territory"? I doubt it.

You're absolutely right. My physical condition would definitely allow me to move 20+ miles per day on foot for a couple of days, but that depends on the weather cooperating and not having to fight my way through. If I'm hoofing it 40 miles through "enemy territory" the whole way, I'm in big trouble.

What can I do about it? I can't carry a rifle everywhere, it would be viewed as socially unacceptable by the constabulary. I'm unlikely to have more than two extra magazines for my pistol. If things get that nasty I may have to hole up somewhere and hope they get better.

Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré, commander of the joint task force in the Hurricane Katrina situation, said that local governments prepare for best-case scenarios, when they should be preparing for worst-case scenarios. I think that's something important to keep in mind. My usual max for distance away from home on my job is about 85 miles, and the biggest most-likely disaster is a major earthquake. On foot (practically guaranteed), I am assuming that it might take me somewhere in the vicinity of TWO WEEKS or so to get home. Getting across the three rivers could be an additional major problem.Sue

General Honoré is worthy of respect for many reasons.

I can't carry two weeks of food and water on the train. In fact, I think of my car kit as being pretty comprehensive but it's only good for three days of food and water for one person. What do you do?

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 03:27 PM

Believe me, neither would I.

I can walk 5-1/2 miles in just over an hour (70 minutes) on pavement/good terrain with good proper shoes (not dress style) however I could not keep this pace up more then 2, maybe 3 hours tops on a good day without fatigue setting in and my speed dropping substantially. If your pace drops down to 3 miles an hour, do the math and you will see that a 30 mile walk can be 10 hours for more. Also keep in mind, even walking requires regular training. There is a local walking charity event here that is 30 kms (18 miles) in length and every year hundreds of "fit" people drop out due to sore feet / ankles, sore shin muscles etc.

I'm in training as a runner. I'm no marathoner, and I'd expect to be sore and unhappy, but my dress shoes are good and as long as weather allowed me to keep my feet dry I think could do it.

I don't know any way to save Google Maps for offline use on my un-jailbroken iPhone. I do have an iPhone app for offline topo maps; it's possible that I'd be able to use that. I really do know the streets very well.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 03:54 PM

Quote:
I'm in training as a runner. I'm no marathoner, and I'd expect to be sore and unhappy, but my dress shoes are good and as long as weather allowed me to keep my feet dry I think could do it.

Carrying Goretex Socks Goretex socks might be the answer if your dress shoes aren't fully waterproof.

Some Silk Shopping bags silk shopping bags might prove to be useful if you find that you may need to carry some emergency survival shopping!! wink

A lightweight waterproof jacket might also be useful to carry.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...ite_review.html

Posted by: ZenEngineer

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 09:05 PM

My most memorable commutes have been non-emergency events where I've been stuck somewhere for hours. You could pack backup reading material and a small headlamp to help alleviate the boredom of such events.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Carrying Goretex Socks Goretex socks might be the answer if your dress shoes aren't fully waterproof.

Sceeeeeeeeeeptical...

socks live a though life, and I would be surprised if the membrane would last long. At least that is my family's conclusion with goretex shoes, and I can't think that socks have an easier life than those shoes (where the membrane is protected by a layered construction). Even with high quality expensive shoes it is always a hit-and-miss factor as to how fast the membrane punctures = wet feet. When we get a new pair we usually trade them in on guarantee at least once until we hit the lucky lottery and get a pair that lasts the guaranteed life time of 2 years.

Life span issues aside, walking long distances with a perpetual wet foot may cause blisters pretty fast. A waterproof membrane may or may not help you, but of course the sock it self would have to fit, not being stiff and abrasive, condensation not causing you to get wet and probably a few more issues that could cause trouble.

Unless you have reliable reviews that this actually WORKS in real life, I'd stay away...

If you want extra protection for your feet, a pair of rubber overboots and spare wool socks is a much better idea. The socks won't keep you warm if you wade through icy waters with non-waterproof shoes, but you wring them half-dry and they will regain much of their dry insulation. Both wet and dry, the wool sock will typically be much more comfortable and better to your feet than your average cotton thingy. The overboots I have in mind (basically rubber "socks" that slips over your shoes, they pack reasonably small) are typically not made for long distance walking on hard surface, but may be very helpful in a downpour or for crossing wet areas.

EDIT: About the headlamp - a length of bungee cord with a cord lock or your favorite knot + AAA size light (fenix E01 or itp A3) = makeshift headlamp. Bungee cord is multi-use item.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 10:17 PM

I tend to agree. I have a feeling goretex socks would keep humidity out but that they wouldn't let perspiration out fast enough and would get clammy.

I keep light hiking boots in the truck for the walking home contingency. Two pairs of Smartwool socks and multiple pairs of sockliners in either coolmax (okay) or merino wool (great) and I'm good to go year round.

It's a 24 mile hike mostly paved but whose to say after a major earthquake.

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/12/10 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ZenEngineer
My most memorable commutes have been non-emergency events where I've been stuck somewhere for hours. You could pack backup reading material and a small headlamp to help alleviate the boredom of such events.

Good advice. I always have reading material with me, and as long as my iPhone holds out I can read, play games, or even post to this forum. I've ordered a Prism to convert my Quark into a headlamp. The headband willl work with my AAA lights too. I'm thinking that a spare 123 cell is in order.
Posted by: MarkO

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/13/10 03:12 AM

........... I don't know any way to save Google Maps for offline use on my un-jailbroken iPhone. I do have an iPhone app for offline topo maps; it's possible that I'd be able to use that. I really do know the streets very well.

Take a screenshot and save as a .jpg ??
Posted by: ZenEngineer

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/13/10 04:15 AM

Good advice. I always have reading material with me, and as long as my iPhone holds out I can read, play games, or even post to this forum. I've ordered a Prism to convert my Quark into a headlamp. The headband willl work with my AAA lights too. I'm thinking that a spare 123 cell is in order.

I still recommend the e+lite. It's compact, has long battery life, and is comfortable for long term use around camp. I think it is a better choice than the prism kit, and could be carried in your bag in place of one of the two different AAA lights in your four-light set.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/13/10 06:13 AM

"If I'm hoofing it 40 miles through "enemy territory" the whole way, I'm in big trouble... What can I do about it? I can't carry a rifle everywhere..."

A disguise as a homeless type of person might keep you below radar. A Brooks Brothers suit, leather shoes and a laptop case would probably be every bit as good as a target, front and back. In most cases, clothing probably wouldn't be the first thing troublemakers would be going after, so buying/trading/stealing low-key clothing and a backpack (to keep your hands free) might be something to get as soon as possible. All the guys around here look like street people in their hooded sweatshirts, esp if they have one of those scruffy beards (which I will bet money you don't have).

"... my car kit as being pretty comprehensive... but it's only good for three days of food and water for one person."

Yes, that's tricky. I can't carry a lot of stuff with me, because luggage space is usually taken up with my crews' bags and gear. I do normally carry 2-3 gallons of water in 8 oz bottles (provided by the RR), granola bars and some snack foods, but not nearly enough, and that isn't likely to change. Scrounging and rationing would probably be necessary. I can't see any other solution. And the newer the Suburbans, the less storage space they have.

If a quake hits, I hope I'm home. If I'm in Seattle... SOL is what comes to mind.

Sue
Posted by: JohnN

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/13/10 06:33 AM

I don't know any way to save Google Maps for offline use on my un-jailbroken iPhone.

Search for the app 'OffMaps'. It isn't great, but it is the best one I've found so far for off-line street maps.

If you have a real iPhone, I suspect that at least some of the navigation apps like TomTom, Navigon and Magellan work without Internet connection, but look before you leap.

-john

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/13/10 08:59 PM

Um....

You know, you both sound utterly paranoid.

We've already HAD "SHTF" situations in the USA, in many places, at many times, and the response has always been for Americans to come out and help.

Just a few years ago, right near me, an ice storm stranded a bunch of people on i78 for several days. Rather than a zombie apocalypse, what happened was locals on snowmobiles shuttled food and water and medicine to the folks stuck in vehicles.

In NYC, 2003, the lights went out. Millions of people - the dreaded "urban hordes" of so many overwrought imagined scenarios - slept outside, wandered the streets, made new friends and got home, eventually.

Bridges collapse in Minneapolis - the help rushes in. Floods come to the Red River, everyone fills sandbags.
San Francisco gets blasted with an earthquake, communities turn out in droves to do what it takes.

Yes, we've had riots in the USA, yes, they have been scary (I remember the Rodney King and Washington Heights riots) and they are localized, short-lived and really really rare.

If you're on a train, you're already near a lot of gear. There's first aid. There's water. There's radios and backup radios. There's people who are PAID to come rescue your ass on the way. Nobody is walking 40 miles in "enemy territory" and nobody is going to be abandoned to the wilderness if a crew car goes missing for 24 hours.

Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/13/10 10:08 PM

Quote:

The •410 MAGNUM UMBRELLA SHOTGUN

Or if the Umbrella seems a little over the top for the paranoids (it might even rain, whilst waiting for the train) wink The •410 walking stick shotguns might be more appropriate.. grin

Posted by: Dagny

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/13/10 10:34 PM

I want that umbrella.

For the next time someone fails to obey the stop sign when I'm crossing the street.

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/14/10 02:27 AM

If I were utterly paranoid, I'd either drive every day (and stash a rifle in my trunk!) or not take this job. I'd abandon my career and move out into the back of beyond.

I'm not trying to prepare for a zombie apocalypse while I'm on the train. The two most likely versions of unpleasantness are a small-scale disaster, where if I survive professionals will come to my rescue, or a short-term transportation disruption, perhaps as bad as overnight. It's worth spending a few bucks and a few ounces of weight on preparing for a variety of contingencies, but I won't be bringing a hobo suit to use as urban camoflage.
Posted by: acropolis5

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/14/10 03:27 PM

Chaos, in reply to your questions and comments: A thin pair of polypro socks can be rolled in a small tight package or flat vacuum packed. You put them on under your dress socks, to prevent blisters in a long walk home in dress shoes or loafers; the silcock key will get you into recessed commerical facets with ease. A leatherman may or may not always work. Getting fresh water is a major conern for hydration/ first aid/ and decontamination; A water purifier bottle will filter out chemical contamination. your other preps will not ( consider also putting it in a Ti cup and the whole unit in a light nylon belt bag to get it out of your pack when needed, giving you extra pack room to add scrounged items); The Cop Tool is a purpose designed pry bar/chisel/belt cutter/short serrated blade, much stronger than a LM screwdriver for prying out a train window or opening a train door Its a bit heavy, ~6oz., so its optional; A silcloth ponchco is light and compact and has muliple uses, i.e. poncho, ground cloth, sun shade, wind break. Its much more versatile than a rainshell and; The trauma supplies, especially the izzy bandage are not that big or heavy. you want to be able to put on a bandage/touniquet quickly and with one hand. Just my opinion. YMMV.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/14/10 03:38 PM

Something I did years ago was start wearing hiking socks as dress socks. I get the dark black/blue ones so they look just like dress socks and if you shop around enough are not any more expensive. I bought a bunch of the three packs at sams club back in 2003 and still have a couple that haven't been worn. The colors that don't work for dress socks I don't have any grey pants but three pair of grey socks) I put in my BOB at home.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/17/10 04:02 AM

In my office kit I have added a homemade "survival necklace. What you do is take a badge holder like this one:

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50743642/Lanyards_With_ID_Badge_Holders.jpg

Remove the badge sleeve ( you can use for a fresnel lens) and add a ring or D-ring to the lanyard. Attach a whistle, a small flashlight ..etc.

You can keep it in the bag. But in case of emergency, you want those items on your person, so you have the means to wear them like a necklace.
Posted by: jdavidboyd

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/18/10 02:11 PM

Um....

We've already HAD "SHTF" situations in the USA, in many places, at many times, and the response has always been for Americans to come out and help.

Just a few years ago, right near me, an ice storm stranded a bunch of people on i78 for several days. Rather than a zombie apocalypse, what happened was locals on snowmobiles shuttled food and water and medicine to the folks stuck in vehicles.

Gee, why didn't they ask them to come out of their cars, and back home to warm food and warm environments?
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/21/10 12:28 AM

Um....

I come to this forum for tips on being self-sufficient. If it turns out that others help out in a disaster, then that's a bonus.

Since you brought up real scenarios, we should analyze the Katrina hurricane and the recent earthquakes in Haiti and Chile. In those situations, the people who were entirely dependent on others were in bad shape. Also, in California, there were some pretty bad fires a couple years ago. The government seemed to be well prepared, but what if the government wasn't? Then, many people would have been stranded and desperate, which would have lead to unrest or worse...
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/21/10 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Also, in California, there were some pretty bad fires a couple years ago. The government seemed to be well prepared, but what if the government wasn't? Then, many people would have been stranded and desperate, which would have lead to unrest or worse...

California has pretty bad fires on a regular basis, and has learned to deal with them fairly effectively. There have been a few exceptions, but they are rare.

I think a key factor, not surprisingly, is the relative affluence of the populations. In California, everyone has a car. You simply drive away from the flames, bypassing the Red Cross and large animal shelters on the way to the motel/resort/friend's home of your choice. Shelters are typically underutilized. Even a very bad fire which guts a few hundred homes affects only a very small fraction of the population, hence there is no large scale disruption.

The Big One, properly situated, may well be a different story. A large earthquake, epicentered within a large urban population, might well result in something like Katrina. A close analogy of what might come would be the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. Apparently the death toll there was likely much higher than the heavily spun "official" count.
Posted by: Lono

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/21/10 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Something I did years ago was start wearing hiking socks as dress socks. I get the dark black/blue ones so they look just like dress socks and if you shop around enough are not any more expensive. I bought a bunch of the three packs at sams club back in 2003 and still have a couple that haven't been worn. The colors that don't work for dress socks I don't have any grey pants but three pair of grey socks) I put in my BOB at home.

This is a good point - I'm reminded of a long, rainy walk through London one saturday, from Islington through Camden out to Victoria Park then back to my hotel south of the House of Parliament, miles and miles, don't ask me why I didn't tube the whole thing, it was great fun walking all day, but tiring - but not painful, because I packed two pair of bridgedale hiking socks that trip, and changed socks somewhere around Cheapside. My walking dress shoes, soaked, my feet though arrived back at the hotel wet but warm, without blisters. If I had done this with dress socks I would have surely crapped out after 5 miles and called a taxi, and arrived home with blisters.

I count myself lucky that I can wear running shoes or trail shoes (plus whatever socks I want) every day, I only have to wear my dressports when I am on the road and need to be a bit more presentable.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/21/10 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Also, in California, there were some pretty bad fires a couple years ago. The government seemed to be well prepared, but what if the government wasn't? Then, many people would have been stranded and desperate, which would have lead to unrest or worse...

California has pretty bad fires on a regular basis, and has learned to deal with them fairly effectively. There have been a few exceptions, but they are rare.

I think a key factor, not surprisingly, is the relative affluence of the populations. In California, everyone has a car. You simply drive away from the flames, bypassing the Red Cross and large animal shelters on the way to the motel/resort/friend's home of your choice. Shelters are typically underutilized. Even a very bad fire which guts a few hundred homes affects only a very small fraction of the population, hence there is no large scale disruption.

I'm fairly certain northern Cali is not prepared for fires like southern Cali is. I have lived in northern Cali for about 30 years total. Anyway, I think my original assertion is true. The government stepped in heavily and greatly helped many people who were displaced in the big fires from a few years ago. However, I don't think the point of this site is to say, "Cool, I don't have to worry because others and the government will help me out."
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Commuting on the train - 04/21/10 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Chisel
In my office kit I have added a homemade "survival necklace. What you do is take a badge holder like this one:

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50743642/Lanyards_With_ID_Badge_Holders.jpg

Remove the badge sleeve ( you can use for a fresnel lens) and add a ring or D-ring to the lanyard. Attach a whistle, a small flashlight ..etc.

You can keep it in the bag. But in case of emergency, you want those items on your person, so you have the means to wear them like a necklace.

Good counsel. I have a house key, Doug Ritter's e-Pico light and a Fox-40 whistle on a neck chain that I wear every time I take my dog for a walk. If it's not on my neck it's in whatever purse or bag I take with me out of the house.

Hardly notice it and I've got two essentials instantly accessible.