"Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels

Posted by: philip

"Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 02/28/10 10:47 PM

http://www.afrigadget.com/2010/02/09/rim-stoves-mamaput-street-food/
In Africa, these are permanent, with rebar welded to a tire rim to keep it off the ground for air flow underneath, but three or four bricks would do the same trick if you've got the rim and are in an emergency situation. It's a nice starting point for innovation in a disaster.

The street vendors shown use charcoal, which would be nice, but I'm confident I could burn wood scraps to the same effect (although the heat would be less even than charcoal - c'est la vie). If I had green wood, I could get some nice coals going.
Posted by: Mac

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/01/10 12:28 AM

Geez

Almost every provincial campground around here has these in the camp sites. Usually made from bigger rims, but the same Idea.
Posted by: ILBob

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/01/10 01:46 AM

If you have a few bricks you can make a rocket type stove as well. The key seems to be getting air to the bottom of the fire.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/01/10 02:06 AM

Have one down on the farm that we use for our camp fire. A big coal truck rim, just sit it on top of rocks and toss wood in the center.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/01/10 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ILBob
The key seems to be getting air to the bottom of the fire.

The key to a wood gasifier stove is heating the air. Heated air passes over uncombusted material (heating and drying it, releasing combustible gases) before the air+combustible gases mixture is sucked into the base of the fire. Blast has an excellent summary here:
http://intotheborderlands.blogspot.com/2008/01/homemade-wood-gasifier-stove-revisited.html

Of course, you don't have to have a wood gasifier stove - ordinary stoves works very well too. They're just convenient ways of setting fire to wood so you can cook and heat. You can keep them that easy - or you can gain efficiency by inventing more elaborate ways of controlling air flow.
Posted by: Susan

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/01/10 06:43 PM

What would happen if you used mag wheels? Are they really magnesium, or something else?

(Visualizing airline pilot: "WOW! Look at that signal fire down there!")

Sue
Posted by: Skimo

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/01/10 07:15 PM

Magnesium tires take a lot of heat before igniting, I can't remember exactly, make the fire bigger by pumping water on it... preferably from a great distance.
Edit: depending on fuels used using a mag wheel should be a last resort, should the mag wheel turn a healthy shade of orange.. DO NOT HIT IT, unless you want to signal an airplane, DO NOT USE WATER in an attempt to put the flame out, it will get hotter OR explode.

Best bet is to not use a mag rim, I've never caught anything more than steel wool and magnesium scrapings on fire, metal fires are extremely hazardous and often quite toxic.

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/01/10 08:27 PM

> Usually made from bigger rims, but the same Idea.

Yep, looks like they're using bigger than compact car tires. Bigger the better.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/01/10 10:27 PM

If you want something really good for a fireplace, look to sailing ship technology. The best improvised fire ring I have seen was a mast-band from a wrecked schooner. Think of an circular iron band about five inches high 18 inches across and 1/2 inch thick. It probably won't ignite too easily.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/01/10 11:27 PM

Oohhhhhh... Susan, was this really the best place to suggest this?

*evil giggle*
Posted by: Blast

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/02/10 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Oohhhhhh... Susan, was this really the best place to suggest this?

*evil giggle*

About one pound of thermite works.
Word of warning, burning magnesium puts out a LOT of UV radiation, intense light, and WAY more heat than you were expecting.

-Blast
Posted by: sybert777

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/02/10 02:44 AM

THERMITE!!! Love it!!! Yes, even Mag ribbon burns EXTREMELY hot! Off topic, If a GREAT natural disaster occors, I am going to try to find D.R. or Blast!!

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/02/10 04:29 AM

I had the feeling that Blast had some knowledge of this... and probably first-hand knowledge, too...

Hey, look, Raven, if no one ever did any experiments, we wouldn't know anything. Remember what Blast said about his scars? I'll bet each one has a really interesting story. We already know about the cat one...

Sue

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/02/10 04:57 AM

> The best improvised fire ring I have seen was a mast-band from a
> wrecked schooner.

Y'know there are very few wrecked schooners in my neighborhood. On the other hand, after a quake I expect quite a few abandoned cars.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/02/10 01:29 PM

How far are you from the San Francisco Maritime Museum? When the big one comes, you might have one delivered right to your doorstep, complete with partially processed firewood.

In some parts of the Bay area, you could be living right on top of a schooner, abandoned during the Gold Rush....

Schooners, they're everywhere.....
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/02/10 08:12 PM

Quote:
Remember what Blast said about his scars? I'll bet each one has a really interesting story.

T-shirt saying:

“Scars are like tattoos, only with better stories”

Pete

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/02/10 11:46 PM

T-shirt saying: “Scars are like tattoos, only with better stories”

What a GREAT ETS t-shirt that would be! Might be able to make a few bucks for the jam jar.

Sue
Posted by: Blast

Re: "Rim stoves" - stove made from car wheels - 03/03/10 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Quote:
Remember what Blast said about his scars? I'll bet each one has a really interesting story.

T-shirt saying:

“Scars are like tattoos, only with better stories”

Pete

And some day when the statue of limitations expires I'll actually be able to tell the stories. blush

-Blast, who learned to make good decisions by making bad decisions