Building a BoB for an 8 yr old...

Posted by: wildman800

Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/28/09 12:37 PM

Greetings, I am starting a BoB for my 8 year old nephew. Here's the list that I have already put together:

MISCELLANEOUS: small backpack, 2 bandannas, small FAK, commercial Mess Kit (frying pan, dish, pot/lid, plastic cup), HoBo knife, 100ft Paracord, US Army Camp Jack Knife, Compass, Louisiana road map, Toilet Paper, Wet Ones,

COMMUNICATIONS: whistle, signal mirror, Flashlight, FM radio receiver (dollar store),

SHELTER: space blanket, light sleeping bag, car travel wool blanket/pillow, small tarp,

WATER: water purification tablets, 2 qt canteen,

FOOD: 2 MRE's (w/heaters), 1 pkg of Datrex or MainStay rations,

HEAT: 4 Hand Warmers,

I'm leaving fire making things off of the list. His Dad is the one to judge when he's ready for that.

Any suggestions are welcome!!!
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/28/09 01:38 PM

How about a pad of paper and some crayons? Might help him to sit still and wait, if he needs to. Or for messages, or to make waxed paper for tinder, when he gets to that point. Lucky kid!
Posted by: Lono

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/28/09 04:32 PM

About the 8 year old:
- road map: can he read it, know where he is, or use it to go where he needs to go?
compass: can he take a bearing, and navigate (with the road map)?
mess kit: nice, but you've given him 2 MREs, mess kit not necessary for that.
MREs: I'm sure he has seen uncle wildman heat up an MRE, knows how do to it himself?
Tarp: does he know how to create a shelter for/by himself?
2 knives: 8 year old, I know in LA they're all outdoorsmen, but are you sure he knows how to use a knife safely?
Hand warmers: every 8 year old loves these; for pure hand warming, also give him a pair of cheap fleece gloves.

Maybe add:
Clothing: kids can get by with what they have on, and LA is pretty warm most times. A hat to protect from the sun. Consider a sweater, change of underwear, and socks in the kit. Keeping BOB clothing current is really hard for young kids, they grow out of them every 3-6 months.
Trash Compactor bag: line the backpack and keep most of the clothing and bedding dry in the event of rain.
Rain parka: here I'm ignorant of LA weather and what folks do, but here in the PNW we put a premium on staying dry all the time.

Total weight on BOB: where do you expect the 8 yr old to bug out to, how far does he carry this kit?

Good kit, great gift: it looks like he is either a budding outdoorsman, or would benefit from some hands on instruction to go along with the BOB.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/28/09 04:44 PM

To pick-up from where Lono left off. . . it may not be your intent, but I wouldn't put anything in the BOB that your 8 year old nephew doesn't know how to use or that you aren't going to teach him how/when to use. At this age education is more important than stuff.

What you have listed will be more than enough as a start. Next either you or his dad will need to take him for a long walk with the intent of his using everything in the pack. Teach him land nav and orienteering. Kids that age suck up training and information like a sponge sucks up water. No trick questions, just show him how it works and let him find success.

Quote:
MISCELLANEOUS: small backpack, 2 bandannas, small FAK, commercial Mess Kit (frying pan, dish, pot/lid, plastic cup), HoBo knife, 100ft Paracord, US Army Camp Jack Knife, Compass, Louisiana road map, Toilet Paper, Wet Ones,

COMMUNICATIONS: whistle, signal mirror, Flashlight, FM radio receiver (dollar store),

SHELTER: space blanket, light sleeping bag, car travel wool blanket/pillow, small tarp,

FOOD: 2 MRE's (w/heaters), 1 pkg of Datrex or MainStay rations,

Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/28/09 05:16 PM

A hat. An extra flashlight and extra batteries for flashlights and radio receiver.
Posted by: paradocs

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/28/09 10:02 PM

Toys. Toys. Toys.

8 year old boys are easily bored.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 01:04 AM

Toys? In a Red Cross shelter or something to combat boredom during a disaster, yes. For everyday, no. Now it's time to let his brain function and learn something useful... for a change.

Sue
Posted by: Susan

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 01:07 AM

Bo, how about a metal cup instead of plastic? And a roll of bright surveyor's tape.

If he's old enough to handle a knife, he's old enough to learn about fire. Talk to his dad and see who wants to do the teaching.

Sue

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 01:59 AM

Some great suggestions.

No, he doesn't know how to use most of this stuff.

His Dad and I have taken him camping once and he loved it. We're taking him camping between now and his birthday and will start teaching him how to navigate and how to use his other equipment.

I included the mess gear because he may have to evacuate and may need personal mess gear. When we take him camping, he'll start learning how to cook also. The HoBo knife is a knife, fork, spoon kit (eating utensils).

Yes, we have a lot to teach him but I want to train him with his own gear!

Thanks Sue, I'll swap the plastic cup with a metal camping cup!

Please keep the ideas coming so I can add subtract from the list I've started.
Posted by: UpstateTom

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 03:46 AM

I was thinking of army men before I read Izzy's post! Not a BoB item, but a learning toy. That and an erector set. Good toys are tools to develop skills and ways of thinking.

As a youngster I would watch "Mission Impossible" (TV series), and construct or try to construct similar types of things. Lots of fun, and somehow didn't lead to life as a secret agent.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: wildman800

I included the mess gear because he may have to evacuate and may need personal mess gear. When we take him camping, he'll start learning how to cook also. The HoBo knife is a knife, fork, spoon kit (eating utensils).

In terms of knife safety for an 8 year old - its up to his Dad and Mom, but I would substitute a spork for the knife-fork-spoon combo - its inexpensive, even more compact, and the spork has a serviceable cutting edge, not that an 8 year old has too much to cut on their plate? And keep the jack knife in reserve until your nephew has demonstrated alot of maturity and ability to handle sharp instruments - the equivalent of the Scouting tote n chip (maybe when he is 10 yrs old).
Posted by: fasteer

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 09:58 AM

I would trade the space blanket for an Adventure Medical Thermo-lite-2 bivy sack or similar.

Here's my list for my 5-year old:
backpack
bandana, red
bear-bell
Bivy Sack AdvMed
BUFF neck-wrap
energy-bars
flashlite AA
Garbage Bags, Orange
hat
jersey or light fleece
LED Turbo Turtle, white
lightsticks
Rain-shell w/hood
socks
Sunglasses
toque
toy, his choice
water, 1 liter
Wet-Wipes, softpack
whistle

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 11:14 AM

Geez I hate sporks. As spoons they leak and the tines are too short to be a decent fork. Give me a real fork and spoon any day. The only thing I use a spork for is stirring the pot.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 03:28 PM

Some gear is fun but the BOB could get bigger than your nephew.

On the subject of toys, you can combine play with acquiring knowledge, such as playing cards that show how to tie useful knots and can also be used for Solitaire and poker (a skill which would make him very cool in high school and college):

http://www.knotplayingcards.com/

And anything that would instill in your nephew orienteering skills.

When I was a little kid, I was given a compass. It had a nifty brass or brass-like casing with a top that closed, concealing a mirror and a compass with luminescent markings.

I enjoyed snapping it open and shut, seeing it glow in the dark and pondering the mystery of the arrow's insistence on pointing in a certain direction.

I took it camping and in the car -- probably still have it somewhere. I'd like to find it and keep it with my childhood charm bracelet.

For a boy, a military-looking compass would have a cool factor and the cover is added protection from the predictably kid-like abuse it will endure. This one from REI is only $16:

http://www.rei.com/product/792829

A headlamp would be an ideal item -- for real use and for play. REI sells a Black Diamond designed for kids with features such as "pull-away" fittings in case they catch it on a limb or door handle. He might be old and responsible enough not to need that but good to know the industry is designing some kid-specific gear.

http://www.rei.com/product/744017

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Geez I hate sporks. As spoons they leak and the tines are too short to be a decent fork. Give me a real fork and spoon any day. The only thing I use a spork for is stirring the pot.

I keep plastic sporks in my glove compartment.

They come in handy at Taco Bell, sitting in the parking lot dealing with crunchy tacos.

Posted by: thseng

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 03:38 PM

Suggestion: Don't call it a BOB, call it "Camping Gear"

Because that's what it is.

Although, you never know when you might need to go camping!

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 03:42 PM

I also keep some Taco Bell sporks, along with restaurant napkins in my car.

Everytime I hit the road, I grab some extra condiments, knife, fork, spoon, spork from the fast food places that I stop at along the way,,,,, because you never know!!

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: thseng
Suggestion: Don't call it a BOB, call it "Camping Gear"

Because that's what it is.

Although, you never know when you might need to go camping!

True. If you say BOB he'll want to know what he might need to bug out from.

Not the stuff of pleasant childhood dreams.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 03:47 PM

I also keep some Taco Bell sporks, along with restaurant napkins in my car.

Everytime I hit the road, I grab some extra condiments, knife, fork, spoon, spork from the fast food places that I stop at along the way,,,,, because you never know!!

Yes, indeed.

I'm in constant battle with some Taco Bell drive-thru employees to give me 3 hot sauces per food item.

When I'm given more than I need ("need" obviously being a subjective taste preference in this instance), I squirrel away the surplus for those times I'm gypped.

Always prepared.

Of course, I could start walking inside and grabbing my own handfuls.

As part of that everyday fitness regimen being discussed in another thread.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 03:50 PM

The nostalgia of my first compass prompts me to suggest engraving on a few of the items the date, at least the year, on which you give this gear to your nephew.

Forty years from now, he may still have some of it.

A great remembrance of his loving uncle. He'll be showing it to his own kids.

Posted by: barbakane

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 04:28 PM

Maybe a pack of cards, and teach him to play solitaire or other game. Or maybe his favorite book, the pages can be used as tinder. Toys may be too much of a distraction when his senses would need to be on high alert in a real BOB situation.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: Russ

I keep plastic sporks in my glove compartment.

They come in handy at Taco Bell, sitting in the parking lot dealing with crunchy tacos.

I didn't realize there was enough to evoke hatred about sporks - are you talking about the Taco Bell sporks or the more commercial type, ex. http://www.countycomm.com/spork.htm?

FWIW a spork is designed to be a compromise from the get-go, I accept that and sporks are okay with me. I haven't noticed that the spoon leaks, and while the fork tines are a little shorter than a fork they pick up noodles and chicken which is about all I ever eat with a spork. My peeve: I'd like a left-handed spork, with the cutting edge on the other side of the fork.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 05:51 PM

Never tried one of the plastic fork or spoon things, they didn't seem particularly ergonomic. I was referring to
or .
As a spoon they leak out the front so really carry less than they should. . .and then you stab yourself. Used as a fork, the food falls off those short tines, usually somewhere other than back on the plate. So yeah, I have other than fond feelings for sporks wink

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 05:58 PM

I am a proud Spork Dork.

I have Light My Fire's panoply of cheerfully colored sporks (really a double-ended spoon-fork-serrated edge device), the Light My Fire Serving Spork, the REI Titanium Folding Spork, and a plain 'ol titanium spork (a full-tang?)

I sport sporks in my car, backpack and purse.

The Spork is a compromise. And it beat fingers for scooping up taco extrusion.

Sporks are inefficient with spaghetti or linguini. Or fettucini.

America is a fat country, perhaps sporks should be mandated.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/29/09 07:02 PM

I'd rather have a real spoon and chopsticks. I can always make a new set of chopsticks.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/30/09 03:52 PM

Yeah, I can see that. I had in mind the Light My fire style spork, which doesn't have the fork tines on the end of the soup spoon. Try one, you might like it - and at least for a hobo knife replacement its a possibility.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/30/09 04:20 PM

Yeah but, I already have a couple sets of $2.50 REI Chefware Utensils which at 1.25 ounces is a better deal than a $3 Light My Fire Spork even if the spork only weighs .2 ounces. That ounce of weight comes at too high a price. Certain things like a handle that isn't covered in whatever you were just eating is something I'd prefer to not give up. cool

BTW, a bit more spendy than the polymer-wear, but titanium is very good stuff and it won't melt or burn in a fire.
MY-TI™ Titanium Flatware
Snow Peak Titanium Silverware
I got my titanium sets at REI before they went to the dark side.
Posted by: Greg_Sackett

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 12/31/09 01:49 PM

One thing I included in my 6 year old's backpack is a lanyard I made for her out of red paracord (she loves the color) and heat shrink tubing (for a break away). On it I put a whistle and a small pelican LED flashlight. She loves it and insists on wearing it every time we go hiking. Her backpack contains most of the things listed already, although we keep an extra change of clothes in there as well. She likes to cross and play around creeks, so the chance of her getting soaked is pretty good.

Greg

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 01/01/10 10:19 PM

My thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions!!!!

I've now modified the list of items based on everyone's input:

*****’s BoB

MISCELLANEOUS: Small Backpack, 2 bandannas, 100ft Paracord, 1 gal and 1 qt Ziplock bags, pen & memo book, playing cards, small roll of Duct Tape, Survival Bandanna, Pocket Field Guides/Medicinal Plants, Edible Plants, & Animal Tracks, 4 Clothespin, Little green army men, Towel/wash rag

COMMUNICATIONS: whistle, signal mirror, small Flashlight/2 sets of batteries, 2 cell Flashlight/2 sets of batteries, Headlamp/2 sets of batteries, large FM radio receiver (dollar store)/2 sets of batteries, Chalk, 5 gal Ziplock bags to store everything in,

SHELTER: space blanket, light sleeping bag, car travel wool blanket/pillow, small tarp, a large (50 gal) trash bag, a Touque, Wide brimmed hat, A poncho,

FOOD: 2 MRE's (w/heaters), commercial Mess Kit (frying pan, dish, pot/lid), Metal camping cup, HoBo knife, 1 pkg of Datrex or MainStay rations, 1 bag of hard candy, granola and power bars, US Army Camp Jack Knife, Several packs of instant Grits,

FAK: Sunscreen, Chap Stick,

NAVIGATION: Compass, Louisiana road map/Ziplock bag, A roll of bright surveyor's tape,

SANITATION: Toilet Paper/Ziplock bag, Wet Ones,

Engrave the date, on those items that are applicable.

I will be modifying this list as I see what the weight is growing to. To the one who mentioned that I call this "His Camping Stuff", I totally agree!!!! And yes, this is meant to be used for camping but to be carried with him as he goes on trips.

Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 01/11/10 09:35 PM

Several packs of instant Grits

Well, well... instant grits? Okay, I guess some accomodations must be made to the disaster. But you're raisin' that boy wrong feeding him instant grits like that... :-)
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 01/15/10 06:26 PM

Late to the rodeo again. Is your nephew having any input to the foodstuffs your putting in? Most eight-year-olds (mine included) don't have a taste for instant grits. If he does then that's ok too. Point is let him have some input there. As we say, it's hard enough to survive, it's even harder when you have to eat something you are not used to or don't like. Of course you can also steer him towards certain foods or food types. Good luck and hopefully you will post some pics from the campout. laugh

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 01/15/10 11:05 PM

Yes, he likes Grits, as most "Southerners" do.

No, I'm not giving him inpout because this will be a birthday present for him.

His Dad and Step-Mother are getting asked for input. Who knows him better??
Posted by: Tarzan

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 01/16/10 04:55 AM

I would add sunblock and bug spray, it is Louisiana after all. I too would lose the messkit and just go with a metal cup. Water purification tablets or a filter would have to be the way to go without fire to boil water....
Maybe a brimmed hat with a mosquito net? Like I said, it is Louisiana, right?

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 01/16/10 06:48 PM

He would be with adults if he had to bug out.

This is also camping gear to allow his Dad and I to take him camping and start his woodsmanship education, as well.

I have seen many places where food was available but no plates, cups, or cutlery. It doesn't happen often but when "Mobile Canteen" finds there is a bigger crowd awaiting their efforts than what they had planned for, then eating equipment usually comes up short.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 01/19/10 06:00 PM

Nice list so far. Hope you don't mind if I "borrow" a few of your ideas to update DS's gear. DS is eight also so I am seeing many similarities but also some stuff I hadn't thought of. DS may have a few things that are missing from your list as well. Will get back to you on that. Thanks a bunch.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 01/19/10 09:18 PM

Please give me any suggestions that you consider worthy for your area of operations.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 01/22/10 08:22 PM

Comparing my eight-year-old son’s goody bag to the one you are making for your nephew. Mostly similar with just a few exceptions. Some items you already mentioned you wouldn't include like the fire building items. I can understand that and realize I have a slight advantage being a parent rather than uncle. Anyway, FWIW, here's my son's list (SO FAR).

MEDICAL/FAK: Nothing fancy here, just a basic small pocket size kit from wally world. There is also a small bottle of hand sanitizer, a tube of lotion and assorted chapsticks.

SHELTER: Assorted space blankets; heatsheets blanket and bivvy (the basic one, not the 2.0); bright orange nylon poncho.

WARMTH/FIRE/HEAT: Assorted fire making items including strike anywhere matches in a waterproof case, red bic lighter, magnesium and flint bar, spark lite, tinder quik, cotton balls, small thin cardboard, fire starter material and a candle. Also included some hand warmers.

WATER: 1 Qt Canteen with metal cup, coffee filters, purification tablets, and recently added an oven bag.

SIGNALING/COMMUNICATIONS: Whistle and 2" x 3" Signal Mirror (both from PSP as is the spark lite and tinder quik above), plain red bandana.

FOOD: Assorted candy and cereal bars; packets of instant soup; stainless steel mess kit; lexan fork, spoon and knife; fishing kit (includes kit from PSP and additional kit from home supplies with a bobbin of 30 lb test spiderwire); assorted wire (the one from the PSP plus some craft wire and a spool of surplus trip wire).

TOOLS: Swiss army knife; CRKT M16-01Z (a small folding linerlock design) with auto LAWKS mechanism; Cold Steel SRK; Sharpener; Folding saw; wire saw; 2-AA cell LED mag-lite, Doug Ritter version of eQ headlamp.

MULTI-PURPOSE AND REPAIR: 100 ft Paracord; memo pad and pencil; duct tape (from PSP plus a roll of orange tape); aluminum foil (also from PSP); sewing kit; assorted magnifying lenses; safety pins; rubber bands

PERSONAL PROTECTION AND COMFORT: sunglasses; sunscreen in FAK; wet ones; boonie hat.

NAVIGATION: Button compass from PSP, clear base map compass, local area maps added as needed (I really struggle with including navigation items as I really just want DS to STAY PUT but adding these items implies it is ok for him to try self-rescue – better to have them than not is my only reason right now for including them).

MISCELLANEOUS: Back pack; his favorite small toy; family photo; binoculars; knot guide; kids survival primer (stay put, hug a tree, etc); any other items from the PSP I forgot to mention.

I have stuff missing I know, like extra batteries and large Ziplocs to store the stuff in. It’s a work in progress. I need to add the items you have that I/DS am/are missing (like Ziploc bags, field guides, towel, washrag, and so on)
Posted by: porkchop

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 01/23/10 03:16 PM

I'm not sure if anyone included a watch cap on their list but it is a great item year round.

I understand that LA isn't exactly the coldest state in the union, but if you are cold and possibly wet a nice, warm wool or fleece watch cap can make a world of difference.

They are usually cheap, not too expensive, and very compact.
I would stay away from the acrylic ones they don't have very good heat retention when wet.

Re: Building a BoB for an 8 yr old... - 01/24/10 07:46 PM

We both have watch caps (touque) on each of our lists.