1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your...

Posted by: MartinFocazio

1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 07:59 PM

Do this, right now.

Close your eyes.
Count to 27.

Now, put your hands on the following objects, while your eyes are still closed.

a. Flashlight
b. Whistle
c. Pocket Knife
d. Bandanna

This is a drill that I have done with some co-workers in NYC. It's thought provoking.

Could you do it?

Posted by: Blast

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 08:12 PM

Yep. Flashlight and whistle are on keychain in my front left pocket. LM Kick is in sheath on belt, bandana is in back right pocket.

Lighter and cell phone are in front right pocket and there's a compass built into my Timex Expedition watch on my right wrist. Also on my keychain is a P-38 can opener, a pocket screwdriver and a metal waterproof pill container. smile

And if I could find my Altoids EDK I'd really be prepared! grin
-Blast

-
Posted by: Paul810

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 08:33 PM

Flashlight: In my left front pocket

Whistle: Also in my left front pocket on my keychain.

Knife: Clipped to my right front pocket.

Bandanna: Back right pocket.

I could have also reached into the closet next to my computer desk and pulled out my little BOB, where I could have gotten all those objects out with the eyes closed.

All in all, pretty good if I do say so myself. wink
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 08:42 PM

back in the Day i could take apart and put back together a M60 in the dark..now i can't find my keys if i wear cargo pants!!!
Posted by: Russ

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 08:42 PM

Done. Close eyes, stand up -- Benchmade 940 is in right-hand thigh pocket, Mission wallet (w/ 1xAAA LED, SAK Pioneer and LM Squirt) is in left hand front pocket. Keys with SAK Classic and whistle were found by braille right where I left them. (However, having the flashlight in my pocket, I should have been allowed to open my eyes.) Walking a bit farther (continuing past my keys eyes closed) and I had my hands on a 4xAA LED and a mini-RSK. Every tool should have its place wink

BTW, I didn't go for my EDC backpack because that was too easy -- it was by my leg at the desk. Another knife (Vic Rucksack), another flashlight (2xAA Fenix), whistle, compass, spare batteries and FAK. I don't have a bandanna as EDC, but there are two N-95 masks & gloves w/ the FAK.
Posted by: comms

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 08:47 PM

+2 seconds: LM micra & photon light on key ring, sitting on desk next to mouse. Spyderco Endura inside the waistband of my pants.

+10 seconds: opened EDC backpack next to desk. Opened EDC kit touched bandanna...whew just put new whistle in kit last night, its on top.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 08:59 PM

Streamlight Stylus: left breast pocket,
Whistle: left front pants pocket,
Pocketknife: left front pants pocket,
Bandanna: right rear pants pocket.
Posted by: Lon

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 09:02 PM

I was surprised at how many of you had a Whistle immediately at hand.
I assume that most of you were at a home or office computer when responding to this thread. So, I have to ask, what is your theory on the "day to day" importance of a whistle?

I guess that I always thought of a whistle as something to take along if you're going "into the wild", and potentially might need the "signaling" capabilities.
I'm not knocking anyone that has a need to carry a Whistle; I just think that for me, (related to EDC) a whistle would just be an extra piece of clutter in my pockets or bag.

So, what are your reasons for carrying one?... I could very well need to be enlightened.
Posted by: comms

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 09:15 PM

Well, a few times a month I tend to use it for large meetings of our employees to get there attention that the quick break is over and we need to get back on track. It is ostensibly in my EDC kit which I port to other packs for off trail hiking or desert running. As a father I make my son carry one on his backpack for a variety of reasons and he will call me out to check if I have one with me.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 09:24 PM

Interesting exercise. 01 seconds for the whistle. 10 for 3 phones. No flashlight in arms reach. will fix.
Posted by: philip

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 09:26 PM

I'm happy to say my whistle, flashlight, and pocket knife are all in my pockets. My bandana, however, is upstairs in the closet.
Posted by: Russ

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: Russ
Done. Close eyes, stand up ... (However, having the flashlight in my pocket, I should have been allowed to open my eyes.) Walking a bit farther (continuing past my keys eyes closed) and I had my hands on a 4xAA LED and a mini-RSK. Every tool should have its place wink
Room filled with dense smoke (you should never have stood up) and the light from your flashlight just lit up the smoke - it's usless until you can get to the stairwell - even if your building doesn't have stairs laugh

I knew those D&D games as a kid would come in handy someday
Didn't see smoke in the scenario. . . The exterior door is closer than either light I needed braille to find. If there was heavy smoke, I'd go outside rather than further inside. I'd've grabbed the EDC kit and cell phone, and duck walked/crawled outside.
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 09:47 PM

Check. Flashlight, whistle and knife on lanyard in right front pocket. Bandanna in right rear pocket.

If I am asleep, they are on the night stand next to the bed.
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 10:17 PM

Hmmm... Close eyes, slow count to 27 Check
Knife in pocket CHECK
Whistle, ARC 1AA, ResQMe & spare vehicle key virtually always worn on lanyard AND being worn right now CHECK
Bandana not normally carried, however, I almost always wear a tee shirt under a regular shirt. I know it doesn't count as a true bandana, however I have used it as such in addition to a temporary washcloth, bandage in the past. Have been looking at some silk bandanas but have not picked one up yet.

With eyes still closed, got up, made way to front door of home, went outside, located my vehicle, opened the rear vehicle door with the spare key on my lanyard [yep, had to listen to the vehicle alarm since the spare key does not have the smartchip, but it will let me into the vehicle] got into my vehicle Urban Safety Kit, located 3 .5 liter water bottles, and various other goodies.

With eyes still closed, took smartchip vehicle key out of front pants pocket, made way to drivers door, opened the door, put the smartchip key into the ignition and silenced the alarm.

Good exercise.
Comanche7
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 10:21 PM

Lon,
Go back and do a thread search with "whistle" as a keyword. Try setting the parameters wide open, all dates, all threads.

Here is a link to one thread that may be of current interest to you.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=2500&Number=18518#Post18518

Comanche7
Posted by: DrmstrSpoodle

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 10:34 PM

Okay, doing it now.

*45 seconds later*

Flashlight is in my pocket. No problem.

Whistle and pocketknife (SAK One Hand Trekker) are clipped to a carabiner in my other cargo pocket. Other pocketknife is in my key pocket.

Large bandana is in my rear right pocket.

Pill container PSK is in the pocket with my flashlight. So all is pretty good!
Posted by: RayW

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/23/09 10:47 PM

Lon, i EDC a whistle because i work as a machinist and it can be a very LOUD environment. Also frequently work in the back of the shop where no one else is near and yelling at the boss doesn't always get his attention. Blowing a whistle in the shop gets attention.

Back to the original question, Streamlight Strion left rear pocket, Leatherman on belt, Benchmade Griptilian on right front pocket, whistle in watch pocket along side of Arc AAA, and bandana left rear pocket.
Posted by: Blast

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 12:20 AM

Quote:
So, I have to ask, what is your theory on the "day to day" importance of a whistle?

1. To get my kids' attention
2. Signalling for help in case trapped in elevator or building collapse (tornado, lab explosion, etc)
3. Calling for help if car has crashed somewhere not easily visible.
4. To guide people during an emergency
5. to call a taxi.

-Blast
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 12:34 AM

Follow-on.

The drill was part of an urban scenario for an IED explosion or suicide bomber attack.

The whistle is to sound 3 short blasts if you are trapped in rubble, to direct attention of large crowds or to signal further danger.
The knife is to cut stuff as/if needed.
The flashlight is to find your way in a powerless room/hall in the dark and to signal for help.
The bandanna is to either cover your face from the toxic dust or to stuff into a bad wound. Sterile is not needed to stop bleeding.

The drill was based on experiences in Iraq and Isreal and included such tidbits as "secondary" attacks that are timed to kill first responders.

It turns out that there's a lot of survivability fairly close to these incidents for many people.

Anyway, one of the interesting points was that a cell phone=a flashlight for many people, and bandanna can serve fairly well for airborne particulate matter that can have severe (fatal) long term health consequences. A wet bandanna is even better.

A great lesson.

Posted by: Compugeek

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 12:52 AM

Done.

I'm at home in casual clothes. There's a knife in my pocket. There's a flashlight standing on my desk, just outside of arm's reach, that I was able to hit with my eyes closed.

My EDC bag with two more flashlights, a multitool and a whistle/compass/thermometer is hanging on a coat tree about 6' behind me. I can get to it blind with only a little delay (to avoid trying to shift the couch with my little toe -- that hurts!).

I don't carry a bandana, though. It's never been my "style".

As to why I carry a whistle: I picked it up at REI before I ordered an AMK PSK. While I don't expect to ever need it, if I do, it would probably be . . . inconvenient . . . not to have it with me already.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 01:05 AM

REminds me my whistle is not on my key chain anymore!

If it was I'd only need a bandanna, but I was thinking about that today actually and I only have one, and it's in my BOB.

I'm guessing you use the bandanna for a mask???
Posted by: dweste

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 01:45 AM

I also have everything on the list and more, but not a bandana, in my pockets on my EDC keyrings. I don't like carrying a bandana unless it is in some kind of belt or backback, but I will re-think that a bit. Thanks.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 02:26 AM

That was pretty easy. The 3 items on that list that I carry (I don't carry a bandana, I wear a tshirt also) are all in my front right pocket.

On my keyring - Fox 40 whistle (will be switched to a mini Fox 40 when I get one), zipper pull compass, and Maglite Solitaire

Not on the keyring, but clipped in the same pocket is my EDC pocketknife.
Posted by: LED

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 06:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Lon

So, what are your reasons for carrying one?... I could very well need to be enlightened.

Whistle (Mini Fox40) added years ago for hiking the dog. I can whistle louder than a train but the Fox40 adds redundancy. Also have a P-38, AAA Maratac, and SAK Classic on the keychain. Spyderco Dragonfly and small flashlight in other pocket. Bandana and other stuff is in the laptop bag.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 11:49 AM

No whistle (sorry), flashlights (plural) - one in front left pocket, one in front right. No bandana - but there is a triangular bandage in the desk drawer right next to me, along with 4x4s, a sam split, 2 trauma bandages, and N95 masks. There is also bandages (triangular + roll + gauze) in the jump bag that is on the floor at my feet, with a spapre flashlight and other 'stuff'

Means I don't really know how to score this - 2 for 4 (no whistle, no bandana), or 3:4 (no whistle, but have the stuff that a bandana would be used for)

We had a preparedness fair at work yesterday - they asked some similar questions to folks walking in. When I started pulling 'stuff' out of my pockets and bag, they laughed - then the company team guy saw who it was, and said 'Hi Charlie', and handed me some 'free toys' mostly to give to my kids - a 'first aid kit' (hahahaha a boo boo kit), a couple of free flashlights (everyone got one. Basically fauxtons, but larger/rectangular) and some handouts (Gee, did you know you should have smoke and CO detectors in your house, preferably one on every floor and that you should have a family evacuation plan?)
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 12:08 PM

Did as instructed with the following results. Knife, flashlight, and mini bic are in the front right pocket where they always live. DR photon is on my keys in my left front pocket. Whistle is 3 feet behind be in my laptop pack in my modded DR PSP. Only failure is that my bandanna is in my backpack next to my bed at home since I normally don't carry one. I should rectify that one.

Good drill Sargent,

Bill

Posted by: Jesselp

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 12:09 PM

I reach into my left pants pocket for my keyring - small lockback knife and Fox-40 whistle. Check.

I reach back to my suitcoat on the back of my chair and find my flashlight in the interior pocket (the single AA variable beam one from CountyComm that Izzy reviewed a few months ago. I forget what it's called, but I like it). Check.

Slide my chair back four feet until I hit the wall. Reach down and grope for my bag. Open the front pouch and pull out the Ritter mini-PSK and N95 masks. Verify that my leatherman ChargeTi is where it's supposed to be, and feel the weight of the full water bottle.

No bandana, but I do have the N95s, and like many, a cotton undershirt that could be used to improvise one.

I think I pass. No?
Posted by: adam2

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 12:44 PM

Just tried it sitting at my workbench at work.

Multitool in pocket, another knife in easy reach found it with eyes shut.
Flashlight in pocket, two others nearby, light switch for battery backed room light to hand.
No bandana, but I did have a dust mask and a first aid kit within easy reach.
Whistle, in bug out kit, not about my person.

Is that 3 out of 4 ? despite lack of bandana, I did have other items to serve the same purpose.
Posted by: LoneWolf

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 12:52 PM

My turn ....

Flashlight - lap drawer of my desk.
Whistle - index fingers of each hand.
Pocket knife - left hand pants pocket.
Bandanna - whoops, don't have one.

I'll give myself about a 50%. Fingers work but probably aren't the best whistle to be using. frown

Need to get a bandanna.

LW
Posted by: MDinana

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 12:57 PM

Fun. I found my first flashlight in about 10 seconds (in my white coat on the closet door next to my desk). Second flashlight about 4 seconds later. Third and fourth about 10 seconds later (in the closet). With the third light was my pocketknife (keychain). Worst case scenario, my pager and cell phone are on my belt (not allowed to carry anything else on belt - when I wear one)

Unfortunately, I really don't carry a knife in my day job. And I never carry a whistle or bandanna. Though I always have an undershirt as part of the uniform. And, when not at work, usually my small EDC kit in a pager case.

Good thing I'm at my desk. If I was away, my keys stay in the closet. Though my white coat with the 2 lights is on, and would be found nearly instantly.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 01:29 PM

Close eyes, Count to 27 (took three tries, keept getting intrupted by co workers with questions)

Reached for the required items.

1) flashight in left front pocket
2) knife in righ front pocket.
3)Found my bandana in my work bag sitting on my desk in arms reach at all times
4) whistle,, (epic fail) sorry that is in my truck at the end of the parking lot. (hangs head in shame)

Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 01:35 PM

Good drill, Marty.

In my right pocket is my trusty cut-down Fox 40, DR PICO Lite and DR Photon on the multi-gear ring and RSK Mk1 (orange handle) clipped to pocket. Left pocket is another PICO Lite on my car/home key ring. Leatherman Charge on belt (left side). Red Bandanna in right cargo pocket.

Just for the hell of it, sitting at my desk, on desktop I find 6 folding knives, 2 fixed blades, 8 flashlights (2 in pieces), 3 whistles. Desk drawers, about 30 knives and 18 multi-tools. Let's not even talk about what's within reach on my office shelves. I suppose it's this line of work. <g> I am one sick puppy...got to get a life... <~>

OK, back to work protecting our knives...
Posted by: Andy

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 02:44 PM

Tough to follow Doug, but,

In my right front pocket is my Mission Wallet with:
AAA LED Ultrafire flashlight
Kershaw Chive folder
Sliver Grippers
Zebra mini pen and pencil set
credit card
cash
credit card-sized fresnel lens
2 Bandaids
Pico mini notebook (sticky notes and mini ballpoint pen)

On the key chain on my desk:
Arc AAA light
spare AAA battery
Res-Q-Me
Swisstech screwdriver set
DR Fox-40 whistle
Pico Pen
peanut lighter (from CountyComm)
no name button cell LED light

Yes, I believe in redundancy. I sometimes carry a second small folder from AGRussell (their 2" Titanium lockback folder, a sweet knife)

And of course, in my workbags are full EDC kits with more of everything.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 03:59 PM

My keychain is ALWAYS attached to me, and has a peanut lighter, LED light, and about 5' of paracord. Left front pocket is my RSK Mk1. I also have my Leatherman Kick on my belt, and a bandana. Thats it! Oh, and an OLD p-38, thats more of a good luck charm than anything else, as it was a gift upon entering the Army from an uncle.
Posted by: Kukulkan

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 04:41 PM

1. SAK Spartan in my right front pocket (tweezers, can opener, bottle opener, awl, corkscrew, flat head screwdriver, 2 knife blades)
2. Whistle in my right front pocket
3. Ferrocerrium rod and PJ cotton ball in right front pocket (1,2 and 3 all connected with cord)
4. Photon minilight on keychain in right front pocket
5. Cell phone in left front pocket
6. Blackberry on belt
7. Fanny pack 7 feet away in top drawer of filing cabinet
7a. Byrd Crow knife
7b. Dust mask
7c. Mini first aid kit
7d. Liter of water

I live in Los Angeles, CA and keep the whistle: (1) for rescue in case of earthquake (I want people to know where I am); (2) to attract attention in case of human predation.

I need to make a similar fanny pack for my DW who also works in a skyscraper. Given my location, the ferrocerrium rod and PJ cotton jelly are never needed. More a party trick than anything else.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 05:00 PM

Knife- nope. Company policy.
Whistle- er, nope.
Bandana- used hankerchief qualifies doesn't it?
Flashlight- photon microlite on my badge lanyard and a maglite in my backpack within reach.

2 of the allowable 3.

I'm not allowed to cut myself from the rubble. (or anything else for that matter)

The dogtag or housekey around my neck would have to suffice.

I should ask for a supply of kindergarten paste to eat while I wait for rescue.
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 06:46 PM

Good drill. Flashlight and SAK in left pocket. Bandana in right rear pocket. Whistle . . . . . . . uh. Yeah.

After reading some of these posts I am going to have to reprioritise. Especially in light of the recent news reports of plots to blow stuff up in NYC.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/24/09 10:57 PM

Easy as Pi.

Pocket knife- right pocket.

SAK- w/ ferro rod and whistle attached, in the bin by my right knee, on the shelf under the desk. Same bin has a spare MiniMag and Gerber Inifinity. Right next to it is one of my Ka-bars.

Pocket knife, gentlemanly- reach forward, follow right edge of the computer monitor, and then find the surge supressor it sits on, sitting there along with my dice. smile

Bandana, slightly icky- hanging off the left side of the chair. It is my napkin. Also a towel on the back of the chair.

Bag of tricks with all of the above and a lot more- slide the chair back a foot to get clear of the computer. Turn left 90 degrees, extend left leg, continue leftward sweep.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/25/09 01:02 AM

unimog: I seem to recall some manufacturer that made a blade shaped exactly like a dogtag. Not sure if youre willing to violate the rules or not, but that may be an option. I may have seen it in an AAFES store in my travels, but searching the net may help you.
And, yes, a used handkerchief counts-mine is a used bandana, especially as I am recovering from a cold...
Posted by: raptor

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/25/09 01:19 AM

Knife - 0.000 s ... because I was just fiddling with it while reading ETS forum smile.

Flashlight and whistle were approx. 2 meters from me. I located them in several seconds.
I donīt have any bandana.

Interesting excercise by the way.
Posted by: EchoingLaugh

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/25/09 05:10 AM

done. flashlight on desk/ in holster on right hip.

knife in front right pocket

hanky in back left pocket

whistle (puckered up) lol

i was looking for a metal whistle today, did not find one other than a coach whistle.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/25/09 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh
done. flashlight on desk/ in holster on right hip.

knife in front right pocket

hanky in back left pocket

whistle (puckered up) lol

i was looking for a metal whistle today, did not find one other than a coach whistle.

Buy one if they are only a couple of bucks. Any whistle is better than no whistle.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/25/09 12:06 PM

OK,, I had one problem with this drill,, I kept closing my eyes on instruciton number 1 and then I coldn't read the second instruction.. took me 5 min to find someone to read it to me.. *note to self, move umbrella from under desk **OUCH**

finaly found someone kind enough to read the instructions to me. I took out my flashlight and pocket knife then my hanky. They are still chuckeling at me smile Aparently this is a solo exercise and not too good as a team building exercise..

Seriously I should add that in my Daly Carry work bag I had 3 multi tools, 2 folding knifes, 2 more flashlights, spare batteries for the flashlights. Humm maybe I should have added some equipment for getting down from the second storry of the building that I am in..

Posted by: unimogbert

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/25/09 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
unimog: I seem to recall some manufacturer that made a blade shaped exactly like a dogtag. Not sure if youre willing to violate the rules or not, but that may be an option. I may have seen it in an AAFES store in my travels, but searching the net may help you.
And, yes, a used handkerchief counts-mine is a used bandana, especially as I am recovering from a cold...

I thank you for the suggestion but I'm kind of wary of having something sharp, even with a protected edge, hanging around my neck. If I'm pinned I guess I'll have to sharpen it on whatever I can reach :-)

Posted by: Desperado

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/25/09 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier

I thank you for the suggestion but I'm kind of wary of having something sharp, even with a protected edge, hanging around my neck. If I'm pinned I guess I'll have to sharpen it on whatever I can reach :-)

You mean THIS?
Posted by: raptor

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/25/09 02:17 PM

...or maybe this? http://www.lastditchblade.com/last_ditch.php
Posted by: Compugeek

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/25/09 03:05 PM

2 cents worth:

What about those snapblade utility knives? Are you allowed to have one in your pencil cup/drawer?

Having it in a drawer would still be better than no knife at all. They come in a smaller pocket size, you could pop it into a pocket in an emergency.

Posted by: Cauldronborn

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/25/09 04:31 PM

Vic classic, flashlight and whistle on keyring above left pants pocket and handkerchief in back right.

While we're on the subject of keyring EDC, does anyone use snap hooks like these?
Posted by: brian

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/26/09 01:30 AM

Nice drill. I like it. An excellent mental exercise.

Knife and flashlight = 12 seconds (about 10' away on the bar, but a maze of stuff between here and there). Should have been in my pocket!

Whistle and bandanna-like piece of kit (I don't keep actual bandannas) = an additional 10 seconds to grab the nearest kit containing such objects, then an another minute to get them out of the tightly packed kit (with eyes still closed, of course). Something to be said about packing one's kit to tightly, perhaps?

... a great mental exercise. Thanks!
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/26/09 03:01 AM

I'm currently working on my EDC keyring. I already have a compass and flashlight on there. The el cheapo zipper-pull style compass is being upgraded to a Brunton 12NL one and the flashlight was just upgraded from a Maglight Solitaire (1 hour runtime) to a Inova Microlight (15 hour runtime).

My mini Fox 40 whistle and Bison Designs keychain capsule will be here in a few days. I'm thinking on keeping the keychain capsule on the keyring also with a few waterproof matches in it.

So on my keychain alone, I'd have fire, whistle, compass, and a flashlight. And I keep my pocket knife clipped in the same pocket as the keychain. One pocket, much usefulness, very quick to access everything when you need it, even with your eyes closed.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/26/09 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
The drill was based on experiences in Iraq and Isreal
I've seen the same items (except the knife) listed as being the most useful to have during 9/11, too. Where-as ability to start a fire isn't so important for that kind of scenario.

I have all 4 items in my pockets. In fact, I have two torches, two knives and two bandannas, and could find them all. I could switch on the torches and find the blades on the knives, and toot the whistle.

Originally Posted By: Lon
I guess that I always thought of a whistle as something to take along if you're going "into the wild", and potentially might need the "signaling" capabilities.
That's the reason for carry in an urban environment, too. I have a cut-down Fox, which is smallish and made of plastic, so it's very light.
Posted by: EchoingLaugh

Re: 1. Close your eyes. 2. Find your... - 09/29/09 11:44 PM

i remembered how to make a whistle out of paper. haven't done that since grade school! the dogs think i'm nuts. maybe i am lol.