Dremel uses ????

Posted by: Chisel

Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 08:24 AM

In the other thread (McGyvering something ), Izzy mentioned using his Dremel to sharpen knives or shaping edges.

I was thinking about buying a Dremel but didn't see much use for it. I may convince myself into buying one if it can be used easily for sharpening or shaping knife edges (plus other uses).

Need your advice on the Dremel and its uses.
And how it can help me in making my own homemade knife or tools.

BTW, I have a small DIY workshop at home but my tools are mostly hand tools plus three electric drills and two electric saws. That's it.

Also, been thinking about a grinder. But if the Dremel will do the same job (I doubt ???), a Dremel will be more versatile.

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 08:28 AM

One more question:
if indeed the Dremel can be used to sharpen a knife, how do you control it into a stright line along the blade edge ?

Holding a Dremel in my hand , it will go like zig zag
converting the straight blade to almost a serrated one LOL
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 10:09 AM

Hmm, the Dremel tool is pretty versatile for smaller, light duty tasks. Basically anything that needs a delicate touch. be it drilling, sawing, grinding, polishing...

But it doesn't have the power to tackle any larger projects. It's definitely no substitute for the power drill/drill press, angle grinder or bench sander.

You can use a Dremel to sharpen tools. Several ways to do it and not necessarily easy to do a neat job. I prefer to clamp the blade and move the wheel along to the edge in a straight line. Always in the proper direction of rotation so that the wheel bites into the edge instead of skating over it. You have to hold the tool firmly and don't keep the wheel on one spot for too long or it will go all over the place and ruin the geometry.

In practice I don't use my Dremel for sharpening very much. For coarse work a file or wet bench grinder is much more effective and for fine grinding and polishing sharpening by hand guarantees better control and consistent angle.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 10:29 AM

I think Tom_L's first sentence hit the nail on the head.

I use my Dremel for fine grinding and polishing pretty much exclusively. The bench grinder can do easily what the Dremel only dream of and the reverse is true as well. I wouldn't give up either.
Posted by: celler

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 11:19 AM

I'll tell ya, nothing beats a cordless Dremel for trimming big dog's nails. No more clipper drama. If you start getting to close to the "quik", the nail gets warm and the dog lets you know. I bought one for this use alone.

Craig.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 12:06 PM

Unless you're very confident with sharpening I suggest you either become profilent with other, more conventional methods or invest in a number of cheap blades to try it out...

I'm not good at sharpening, but I see some immediate pitfalls:

1) Getting the optimum sharpening angle with a freehand is going to be challenging.

2) The dremel is unforgiving. Do it wrong, and the edge is practically ruined because you have removed so much metal that you'd practically have to remove about half of the remaining knife to get it right again.

3) You have to be careful or the heat will ruin the temper of the steel.

4) It is going to change your edge profile unless you REALLY know what you are doing. If you sharpen so that the edge bites into such a small diameter wheel, two tings could happen. Hold it too high, and you create a very obtuse edge profile. Rock solid, but not very sharp. Hold it too low, and your knife will turn into a "hollow ground" edge profile. This is the oposite of a convex edge. I.e. an edge that is very thin, potentially very sharp, but also quite easy to break.

A skilled sharpener will probably pull it off easily, but he'd probably be able to make it sharp with basically anything. Me? I am not convinced I could pull it off at all...

That being said, I enjoy a dremel for most other small McGyver cutting, filing or polishing tasks.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 12:39 PM

I save a lot of money on dental work with my dremel.

Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 01:07 PM

I myself once thought what is the purpose of having a Dremel? Now I cannot think of not having it. I use it mostly for cutting with fiber wheels. It is a great tool. Get one, you will not be disappointed. Also, look at their new Multi-Max. My brother has one and it paid for itself in the grief reduction factor after two uses.

Standard Disclaimer

$.02

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 02:04 PM

Thanks for the insights

This seems to be two in one for all purposes

What is the thickest metal anyone of you have cut with a Dremel ?

Posted by: Todd W

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 03:10 PM

I use mine for sanding a lot, and cutting nails or bolts where I can't get the sawz-all. Also the polisher is nice for gun parts, and other metal objects.

I've had the original dremel around 15 years I think it is now... awesome tool, and still going, made much better than the newer models but they still work great too smile and I have one of them as well. Next up is I want a cordless laugh
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Chisel

What is the thickest metal anyone of you have cut with a Dremel ?

You can cut any thickness at all....if you have the time.

I've done 3/16" with no problems.

I use all sorts of bits for mine - just drilled a lot of holes in seashells for my daughter to make a neckless (used a diamond bit). I've used it to cut holes in tile, a lot of small plastic works and more. It's a fantastic tool as long as you have a LOT of bits.

Oh, and I clean stuff with it too - small wire brushes can clean up rusted tools.

I'd not suggest using it to sharpen anything though.

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/14/09 06:18 PM

I watch wallyworld for their HUGE dremel multi-tool pack on sale its like 1 foot tall has a bunch of common tools and quick changers. Then just get what you need in the future you`ll figure it out.

The fiber cutters are nice but a bit pricey, I've cut 3/16" too, but I don't use it as my primary cutting tool.. only for hard to reach spots or when I can't use other tools because of fire hazards, vibration concerns, etc.

Martin - My dad got some sharpening adapter for his dremel and uses it to sharpen his garden tools, seems to work for him.
Posted by: airballrad

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/19/09 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
It's a fantastic tool as long as you have a LOT of bits.

^^^ This.

I use mine for many small jobs, and it works very well so long as you know its limits and realize that most of the cutting wheels/stones/bits should be considered consumables.

I have the kit that is meant to sharpen lawnmower blades; stone wheel and a piece of plastic that sets the angle. I still prefer to just clamp the blade in a bench vise and freehand it. Works well with touching up axes, machetes, etc. too. Would not use on a knife blade...
Posted by: JohnE

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/19/09 07:05 PM

High speeds and minimal load on the bit(s) are the 2 secrets to using any kind of Dremel tool.

They're not meant to replace a 4" handheld grinder or an 6" bench grinder, people who keep that in mind will usually have a lot more success using them.

I've got at least 4 of them that I can think of, couple of battery operated ones that are nice for quick and easy jobs, I've got one mounted in a little drill press/stand that Dremel still sells, great for lightweight work.

Posted by: RayW

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/19/09 11:19 PM

Didn't see it mentioned but if you get one be sure to use eye protection. The bits used when turning at high speed can explode with out warning. The bits most likely to explode are the non-fiber reinforced cut off wheels (zip wheels).

Favorite uses are the zip wheels to slice off bearing races. Usually takes a few wheels but it goes through the hardened metal like hot butter.

Re: Dremel uses ???? - 08/20/09 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: RayW
Didn't see it mentioned but if you get one be sure to use eye protection. The bits used when turning at high speed can explode with out warning. The bits most likely to explode are the non-fiber reinforced cut off wheels (zip wheels).

Favorite uses are the zip wheels to slice off bearing races. Usually takes a few wheels but it goes through the hardened metal like hot butter.

Very true.

I suggest glasses + a face shield... just like 4.5" Grinders the discs can explode and lodge themself in your face, throat, etc...