Stabilized gas question

Posted by: Susan

Stabilized gas question - 07/25/07 05:41 PM

How long does stabilized gas stay useful? I am assuming it is bought fresh and the stabilizer added at once.

Thanks,
Sue
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: Stabilized gas question - 07/25/07 05:51 PM

Sta-bil says 12 months, 24 months if you use a double dose...
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: Stabilized gas question - 07/25/07 06:47 PM

I've had it last 6-8 months with no problem. Never tried it for longer than that.
Posted by: jjmagnum

Re: Stabilized gas question - 07/25/07 07:35 PM

Same for me, I use it over the winter in my truck which is stored and it does fine. I have never tested it over 6 months though.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Stabilized gas question - 07/25/07 08:49 PM

I keep it for 6-8 months and then burn it in my vehicles. Then I start buying more and stabilize it all over again.
Posted by: RayW

Re: Stabilized gas question - 07/25/07 11:03 PM

I keep stabilized gas for 8 to 10 months without any problem. Never have tried the double dose to keep it longer than a year, not brave enough.
Posted by: ducktapeguy

Re: Stabilized gas question - 07/26/07 12:09 AM

Has anyone ever tested the shelf life of normal untreated gas? I had a car sit around for about 4 years, never treated the gas. When I finally got around to starting it up, it worked just fine, ran a little rough at the beginning, but other than that I didn't have a problem. Granted, that's only one experience, and I do add Stabil now, but I'm just wondering if it's just marketing scare tactics, kinda like the expiration date on water.
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Stabilized gas question - 07/26/07 12:22 PM

I conduct the lawnmower test every spring. I let the mower run dry in the fall and in the spring just give the gas can a good shake before filling. Never had a problem. I don't know if the cold would speed up or retard the seperation of the gas or not.
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: Stabilized gas question - 07/30/07 11:12 PM

One thing about the current gas with Ethanol is the water absorbtion problem that some stabilizers don't deal with. I find that only the ones targeted towards marine applications seem to specifically address the problem. Star-Brite makes one for gas and one for diesel that is supposed to be ok with the newer blends of gas.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Stabilized gas question - 08/01/07 05:17 AM

I've ran gas that's sat for 6 months w/out treatment it works fine.

Just make sure moisture doesn't get in.

Re: Stabilized gas question - 08/02/07 05:23 AM

"Just make sure moisture doesn't get in."

Do you need to stabilize gas if the container is full? I read somewhere that partly empty vehicle tanks (and cans?) are more likely to have a condensation problem than full tanks.

Sue
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Stabilized gas question - 08/02/07 01:07 PM

I put the stabilizer in and then load the gasoline into the container.

A full can or gas tank will collect less condensation. Condensation forms on the walls of the container that are exposed to the interior atmosphere.

Keeping your car's gas tank above a 1/2 level will greatly decrease the amount of water that can accumulate inside of your gas tank over time.
Posted by: norad45

Re: Stabilized gas question - 08/02/07 01:15 PM

You will still need to stabilize the gas. Sta-bil and similar products keep the gas from prematurely turning to a varnish-like substance (I don't know the actual chemistry involved.) Products like HEET are supposed to take care of the moisture problem but I've got my doubts about how well they work. Vehicles that are regularly driven will not generally develop moisture problems. If I had a car that was kept idle for long periods of time I would definately keep the tank full, as I currently do with my small engines and gas cans.

Edit: I should probably add that I live in a desert. It is possible that people in extremely humid climates may have to take more precautions against moisture in their every-day driver than I do.

Re: Stabilized gas question - 08/03/07 01:59 AM

Thank you all for your information.

Sue