Another contingency that eeds input...

Posted by: wildman800

Another contingency that eeds input... - 04/29/07 03:19 AM

It occurs to me that since I am gone 2/3rd of the year from home, my wife needs to have a contingeny plan in the event of a Forced Evacuation Plan was implemented in my absence, by the local, state, or federal govts.

Such a plan would have to include the following:
1) Denial of weapons on the premises.
2) Denial of any stored foods other than what's in the kitchen cabinets/pantry.
3) Lock up the house on the way out but DO NOT energize the security system.
4) Drop a backdoor key into a prior agreed to location, before leaving.
5) If possible, leave a note stating where the family is being forced to shelter at, if known.

What else would be good to include so that I could relocate my family and attempt to preserve our resources from confiscation.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Another contingency that eeds input... - 04/29/07 04:37 AM

An out of state friend/family member you can both call to find each other sounds vital in your case. Better still if you can have several through the country hopefully one would be available, even in a large-scale event, to be a go-between for the both of you.

-Blast

Re: Another contingency that eeds input... - 04/29/07 12:27 PM

Let me clarify some things:

This is in the event that electronic communications (and probably electricity) is down. Contingency phone numbers and communications relays between friends and family are already in place.

I have had to walk home (my plans concerning that possibility is in place) and my wife has already read my plans and time table.

Includes the possibility that Martial Law has been imposed.

Hence, I am covertly entering town and getting to my home, finding the homeplace dark and empty. My family has been forced to evacuate to a shelter.
Posted by: raydarkhorse

Re: Another contingency that eeds input... - 04/29/07 02:42 PM

My plans for my family since I'm on the road so much is at the first indications of possible forced reaction is to have them get out moving to a predetermined destination, leaving a note and a key. Our relocation is west of their home if I am east of the house I will check the house on my way thru. If I am west of the house we have several rendezvous destinations along their planned travel path. Everyone is instructed to stay at each meeting area as long as it is safe to do so. Then move to the next, each time leaving arrival and departure times and any changes made to the original plans. Forced evacuations and the “shelters” scare me you won’t be able keep much of what you have managed to bring with you, and security sucks in most shelters. Make plans to evac before your forced into a shelter.
Posted by: Whiteknight

Re: Another contingency that eeds input... - 04/30/07 04:15 PM

Newbie question here. Why would you want the security system unarmed?
Posted by: Spiritwalker

Re: Another contingency that eeds input... - 05/02/07 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Whiteknight
Newbie question here. Why would you want the security system unarmed?

Probably not a matter of "want", most likely just projecting power outages and so no security system.
Posted by: Spiritwalker

Re: Another contingency that eeds input... - 05/02/07 04:42 AM

It may be worth considering purchasing some tents large enough for your family and prepositioning them at relatives or friends in other areas that would be unaffected by the emergency you’re envisioning. I’d rather winter camp in someone’s backyard than stay (unarmed) in a government run emergency shelter but then I'm on my own and don't have to consider what a wife would think about that idea.

Re: Another contingency that eeds input... - 05/02/07 08:21 AM

Which brings up another thought, my 1st Bug Out location is a 5 acre plot, 35 miles from my home.

Which means that if the highway/interstate movments are restricted, or vehicles fail to start, we would have to leave many things (reference books, equipment, etc) behind.

There is a rental storage place about a mile from our place and I'm gong to rent one garage and preposition a significant amount of goods there. The space would also provide short term, secure, emergency shelter, while I organize the assets on the 5 acre plot.

I am going to work on procuring another 40ft container onto the property to equip as a shelter, in long term planning.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Another contingency that eeds input... - 05/02/07 11:42 AM

Those rental storage places are quite overpriced and not very secure either, wouldn't it be easier to make a way to store itesm on those 5 acres.
Also 35 miles isn't really that far by something like a bicycle. Build/buy a simple trailer to oull behind a bicycle and make sure you have a working bike for every member of the family and take them out every so often to keep in shape.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: Another contingency that eeds input... - 05/02/07 07:33 PM

You might look at the yard buildings at Home Depot. Their two story model looks like it could be turned into a nice setup with some insulation & drywall/plywood.