A great emergency food "kit"

Posted by: billym

A great emergency food "kit" - 03/29/07 05:10 PM

Here is a link to a company that bakes products that go into MREs.
Their emergency food pack is a real nice product to stash in your home or car for emergencies.

It has wheat biscuits and chocolate cookies that are individually packed (these are some of the MRE components) as well as some trail mix, canned chicken and tuna.

I tried the biscuit and cookie as well as an oatmeal cookie from this company and they are very palatable.

It is not perfect but it is a great start.
It is missing veggies and condiments but the calories, quality of the ingredients and the way it comes packaged (it is in a sealed airtight pouch) makes this a pretty good deal.

Costco was selling two for $20 I think.

http://www.caravantrd.com/products/emergencyfoodpack.htm
Posted by: cedfire

Re: A great emergency food "kit" - 03/29/07 05:44 PM

This sounds interesting... I was recently in Costco but didn't see it. Does anyone know the item number? Thanks
Posted by: Susan

Re: A great emergency food "kit" - 03/31/07 03:42 AM

Googling around, the only place I could find them at Costco was in the San Francisco Bay area.

BillyM's profile indicates that he is in Oakland, just across the bay.

Sue
Posted by: OldBaldGuy

Re: A great emergency food "kit" - 03/31/07 04:52 AM

I spent about 20 minutes googlin' Costco, with zip luck. You are indeed the master of google...
Posted by: billym

Re: A great emergency food "kit" - 04/01/07 11:22 PM

Yes they seem to be in stock in Bay Area Costco's.
The manufacturer is in the Bay area as well.
I stumbled on these while helping out on a 72 hour kit project (I did not find it at Costco).
These were the most appetizing of any prepacked food kits I have seen so far. Nothing needs to be cooked which is a good thing.
I am thinking about getting a few to add to my earthquake supplies and one in the trunk of my car.

I had another "cookie" that they make for MRE's it was kind of a sugar cookie/oatmeal cookie cross that was very crisp and was VERY good. I am going to try and get a batch of these cookies by themselves. I do not have any actual nutrition info on these cookies by themselves.