Thyroid meds?

Posted by: Zardoz

Thyroid meds? - 11/20/06 12:53 AM

Hello,

My wife had her thyroid removed last year due to cancer; does anyone know of a source for a legal replacement hormone that we could purchase in bulk? The garden variety meds are, unfortunately only available by prescription and on a monthly basis since bobybuilders and others allegedly take them to tone up (why not store the extra calaories for an emergency, eh?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Posted by: redflare

Re: Thyroid meds? - 11/20/06 02:08 AM

Thyroid hormone and androgen hormones used for body building are two different animals. If anything, thyroid hormone will make one loose weight.
You may want to take a look at your insurance. Usually there are mail order pharmacies that you can get several month supply of medication for a single co-pay price.

p.s. I hope your wife is seeing an MD on regular basis.
Posted by: harrkev

Re: Thyroid meds? - 11/20/06 07:52 PM

My wife is on Synthroid. From what I understand, the price of that type of medicine is not too bad, even without insurance, if you are willing to go generic.

The key here is to tell your doctor what you are doing. He might be happy to write a separate perscription for three months for you for use in emergencies. If he is willing, he might even write up a double-dose, and you can get a pill splitter.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Thyroid meds? - 11/20/06 07:57 PM

Quote:
If he is willing, he might even write up a double-dose, and you can get a pill splitter.

D'oh!! What a great idea.
That's why I love this place.

-Blast, who still hasn't gotten anything done today.