Switching to oil lamps and lanterns

Posted by: anotherKevin

Switching to oil lamps and lanterns - 09/26/06 07:57 PM

I have been trying out some oil lanterns and oil candles and have to say I'm impressed. They are a little dim, but considerably brighter than candles. In addition, I like being able to lug something around a lot more safely than candles.

Obviously I have flashlights, but I like having a bottle of lamp oil for a few dollars to give me days of light, inside.

I also have a propane lantern, that is extremely bright, but cannot be used inside.
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Switching to oil lamps and lanterns - 09/26/06 09:23 PM

Why not? As long as the room is ventilated you should be fine, I use mine at least once a month to test it out so that it can be used in an emergency our little "test room" is 10X10 and we crack the window about two inches and we do fine
Posted by: Hghvlocity

Re: Switching to oil lamps and lanterns - 09/26/06 10:00 PM

I've got several oil lamps. I like them for summer time power outages as they don't produce much heat.

I use both liquid fuel and propane lanterns in the house all the time. If your not airtight, there is no danger. But I would say that after you turn them off to put them outside...they can produce some noxious fumes after you turn them off. While they are burning, they are fine. Just crack a window.
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Switching to oil lamps and lanterns - 09/27/06 01:05 PM

We all prepare for the worst, that's why we belong to this great forum. My home has hardwired battery backup smoke detectors in each room of the house(except bathrooms and the kitchen) and a combo CO/Smoke detector on each level of the home. It would be a true tragedy if anyone was poisoned/killed for lack of a $30 dollar battery operated CO detector!

Therefore I would recomend that if using any fuel burning appliance ie lantern, stove or heater, to use a carbon monoxide alarm. They are a cheap (less than $40) form of life insurance. We try to come up with ways to justify to our mates/partners/spouses that neat new $130.00 knife that we want, A CO detector protects everyone!
Posted by: teacher

Re: Switching to oil lamps and lanterns - 10/04/06 06:38 PM

You will want to add a c02 detector and some fire extinguishers to your palnning.
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Switching to oil lamps and lanterns - 10/05/06 12:42 PM

Do you mean a CO (Carbon Mon oxide) instead of a CO2 (Carbon Di xide) detector?