Any long-term survival stories ???

Posted by: Chisel

Any long-term survival stories ??? - 02/08/06 08:06 AM

I think that posting such stories will have two benefits. One, the usual awareness and lessons learned. Two would be a more clarification of what is meant by "long-term" survival.
Posted by: AROTC

Re: Any long-term survival stories ??? - 04/14/06 02:33 AM

Well, This is a bit of a thread resurrection. This thread never got off the ground, but it seemed like an interesting topic even if most of us don't have any first hand experiance. So, how about some second and third hand examples? One of my friends told me about a book called "Alive" about a rugby team plane crashed in the Andes who survived for two monthes (well some of them did). They did alot of the things mentioned here, they stayed with the plane, they tore out seats to improvise clothing. Some of the ones who died, died in the plane crash and others died in an avalanche, others from starvation or complications of injuries sustained in the crash. The ones who survived had to use everyone's favorite survival technique: cannabalism, and eventually some had to hike out and seek help after hearing over the radio (portable transistor radio, not planes two-way radio) the search for them had been stopped. They survived for 72 days.

So any thoughts on the situation, ways they could have made it easier? Remember they were on a commercial flight, no firearms, not that there were any animals to shoot for food, or for that matter vegetation to collect and no knives. Carrying food comes to mind, but just how much food are you willing to carry in your carry on luggage? Fire starting techniques are good, but what do you burn? Jet fuel is a possibility, but both the wings were torn off just prior to the crash, and I believe that's where the fuel tanks generally are located. What they did have was most of the fueselage, some food and drink, two freshman medical students, a one-way transistor radio, and the planes mechanic (until he died in the avalanche).

Thoughts I had were to carry atleast minimal cold weather clothing and footwear, multi-vitamins (most were suffering from scurvy by the end), maybe a large multi-wick candle or two for heat and light, and some compact high energy food that you would consume normally anyway, say chocolate and cheese instead of mainstay bars.

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Any long-term survival stories ??? - 04/14/06 01:48 PM

I doubt you could carry enough food to make a difference to long-term survival. Not in carry-on. What might help is something to make the food you do find more palatable. Things like tomata sauce would be good, but bulky. Salt wouldn't take much space.

Those guys were pretty unlucky. I prefer to prepare for more likely scenarios. I'm not going to start packing salt to eat my fellow passengers with.