Henri

Posted by: roberttheiii

Henri - 08/19/21 02:08 PM

Is anyone else in the "cone" for Henry? I am.

Generator works. Food on hand. I may get 5 more gallons of gas. What is wild about these storms is how difficult they are to forecast. I really won't know until maybe tomorrow or Saturday how likely a hit is. Fortunately I'm usually fairly ready for a storm. I'm not planning on boarding up windows. Hopefully I don't regret that decision.

Tonight I will charge flashlights, radios, etc. etc.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Henri - 08/19/21 03:09 PM

Yeah, we're still a long ways away from precision weather predicting. Best we can do is prepare for the worst and hope are family understands why there's a bunch of water jugs in the middle of the living room for a week.
Good luck!
-Blast
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Henri - 08/19/21 04:51 PM

I suppose it depends upon your definition of 'precision weather predicting", but it is much better than in the past, and way ahead of precision earthquake forecasting....
Posted by: RayW

Re: Henri - 08/19/21 07:38 PM

As someone who lives in Florida there is no such thing as precise predictions for hurricanes. The only thing I will add here is to also pay attention to the size of the storm. You can have severe weather well away from the line. Currently, tropical storm force winds extend out up to 80 miles from the eye (Thursday afternoon 8/19) and it's not a hurricane yet.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Henri - 08/20/21 11:17 PM

don't overlook freshwater flooding...
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Henri - 08/25/21 10:35 PM

So, how did it go?
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Henri - 08/26/21 02:06 PM

re; predictions.... my first hurricane was Donna in 1962, we had moved to Florida in 1955....

from TV news... something like... oh, by the way, we'll have a hurricane day after tomorrow...