F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze

Posted by: dougwalkabout

F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 02/19/21 04:59 PM

For 2021, the F-150 pickup truck can be fitted with a PowerBoost hybrid powertrain, combining an electric motor with a turbocharged V6 engine. Part of its appeal is the ability, when equipped, to serve as a 7.2-kW generator for powering tools and appliances.

https://www.driving.ca/ford/auto-news/ne...in-frigid-texas

Apparently it worked well. The genny function is designed for worksites, so it only starts the engine when needed.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 02/19/21 06:34 PM

I really like the idea of this -- only one engine to maintain, only one fuel tank to keep filled. I hope that truck manufacturers start doing something like this in larger models. It wouldn't be big enough to run the air conditioning in my house but it would cover everything else.

Always use appropriate extension cords or a properly installed transfer switch -- never backfeed into the power utility's system with a generator!
Posted by: Blast

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 02/21/21 01:18 AM

Nice, that's some serious power. Toyota TRD Off-Road versions of their trucks and SUVs have built-in inverters but they only put out 100 Watts/400 Watts engine on/off.
-Blast
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 02/23/21 10:52 PM

I'm hoping that will be my next truck. I've currently got a Toyota TRD that Blast references, and couldn't even pull enough power to run a crockpot full of chili the last time I went tailgating. I think the Ford would do that nicely!

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 02/24/21 02:36 AM

It's worth noting that a separate, good quality stand-alone genny will cost you a helluva lot less money than a F150 hybrid with the works.
Posted by: adam2

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 03/26/21 09:02 PM

Yes but the truck has the merit of almost no EXTRA maintenance, beyond that required for normal driving.
No fuel cans to rotate, normal consumption and regular filling will take of that at no extra cost or trouble.

Not certain how the fuel consumption would compare, the truck has a much larger engine than is required for the electric power output, but OTOH it does not run continually.

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 03/26/21 11:04 PM

If it's a tradesman's working vehicle, perhaps that has merit. Otherwise, it would be a gargantuan premium to pay for a tiny bit of convenience. I know people who I suspect have spent $60-70,000.00 on a pickup truck. I think they are completely bonkers. They're also the ones who complain loudly about how hard it is for a middle class person to get ahead.

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 03/27/21 02:08 AM

My understanding is that the generator option is cheaper than a generator, if you’re already buying an F-150.
Posted by: EMPnotImplyNuclear

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 03/31/21 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
My understanding is that the generator option is cheaper than a generator, if you’re already buying an F-150.

Hi
That doesn't sound right (free lunch?)
Originally Posted By: http://fordauthority.com/2020/08/2021-ford-f-150-powerboost-pricing-finally-revealed/

The PowerBoost is an extra-cost option on all 2021 Ford F-150 models,
but the price depends on the trim level.
For instance, opting for PowerBoost
on the XL and XLT trims adds $4,500 to the MSRP,
while adding $3,300 to the Lariat,
$2,500 on the King Ranch and Platinum trims,
and $1,900 for the Limited trim.

A quick check with google shopping or home depot,
shows various brands of 7000-8000 watt generators
for around $1000
even as low as $600 at harbor freight
(3 times cheaper than lowest priced powerboost)

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 03/31/21 04:22 PM

Thanks for the correction!

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 03/31/21 04:44 PM

The F150 genny option still has merit, but perhaps not from a cost perspective if intended solely for emergency use.

The other consideration is "the Leatherman problem." It's great having all your tools in once package, but that can be a liability. An F150 can be stuck in a snowbank or at the other end of a closed road doesn't keep the furnace running.

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 03/31/21 06:19 PM

The original article stated: "As a stand-alone option, the 7.2-kW generator – available only on trucks equipped with the PowerBoost hybrid engine – costs about $1,000 in Canada. That’s a great value compared to portable residential generators, considering its power output and run time."

That made a lot more financial sense to me than spending 2x or more a standalone generator.
Posted by: Burncycle

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/06/21 09:56 PM

I've always been of the opinion that offering a heavy duty alternator (or 2nd alternator) and power inverter as an option for every vehicle manufactured for the US market would allow for a far more robust resilience to natural disasters, and would therefore be in the national security interest of the US to encourage or incentivize.
Posted by: Nomad

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/06/21 11:03 PM

I have used a Dodge 1 ton 4x4's DC alternator to charge LiFePO4 batteries. Batteries connected to 1500w inverter. Charge rate was over 60 amps and I could probably have gotten more if I messed with the alternator controls. But that was more than sufficient.

The vehicle was somehow modified to accept a Power Take Off and part of the mod was to change something in the power train to allow the vehicle to idle for long periods of time without damage to the transmission system. Something about lubrication. I never got a clear explanation of the system.

So now I have a Toyota Tacoma. Same batteries and inverter, but a much different vehicle. Especially the electronics. Anybody messed with using a Tacoma in this configuration?

In general DC to battery to inverter works well. The gotcha is how the vehicle reacts to long term idle. When I was doing Red Cross stuff, I idled one of their ECRV's (electronics truck) for weeks at a time. Never could find out if the vehicles were stock or modified.
Posted by: teacher

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/08/21 08:34 PM

Or, of course, you could simply get a gas powered generator...
Posted by: Eugene

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/09/21 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: teacher
Or, of course, you could simply get a gas powered generator...

I wonder though, if you had a modern vehicle with an computer controlled fuel injected efficient 4 cylinder engine and compared to an inexpensive carburated generator, which one would burn fewer gallons per hour.

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/09/21 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I wonder though, if you had a modern vehicle with an computer controlled fuel injected efficient 4 cylinder engine and compared to an inexpensive carburated generator, which one would burn fewer gallons per hour.

I think parasitic load would come into play as well.

In any event, the main benefits in my opinion are having only one engine to maintain, having it with you wherever you have your car, and larger fuel capacity than most standalone generators. The big disadvantage is, of course, you can have power or transportation, but not both at the same time.

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/09/21 01:19 PM

FWIW my 2004 V8 has an hourmeter and I've used an average of 1.89 gallons per hour over 150k miles.

You can easily add to the capacity of a standalone generator. I remember after hurricane Sandy visiting my parents who were without power for a month and my father had driven 4 fence posts in the ground around their old generator to support a larger gas tank above it.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/11/21 03:34 PM

I have a 2009 Tacoma--found this:

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/24717-how-long-can-you-idle-tank-gas-2.html

...figured 4runner was close enough to tacoma...
Posted by: Blast

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/12/21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
I have a 2009 Tacoma--found this:

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/24717-how-long-can-you-idle-tank-gas-2.html

...figured 4runner was close enough to tacoma...

Damn, having both a Tacoma and a 4Runner, this is good to know!
"Therefore with a 23 gallon fuel tank I calculate one can idle for 54.8 hours. To call it safe round down and assume that you can idle for one day with a half tank of gas and two days with a full tank."

Farther down in the link there's a quote from an actual car manufacturing engineer for Ford who states, "We’ve had test engines idling for thousands of hours without significant changes. I’m not sure I have seen anything to back up the idea that excessive idling causes buildup in cylinders or fouls plugs." which is good to hear. I was always told that prolonged idling is bad for the engine. If it doesn't hurt a Ford, it definitely won't hurt a Toyota. wink
-Blast

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/12/21 03:48 PM

I understand that for well-made gas engines, idling doesn't damage anything. I also understand that diesel engines can suffer from wet stacking when run under light load for long periods.

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/12/21 10:45 PM

The extended idling is bad comes from the carburetor days from what I can tell.

Odd that diesel has an issue since you always see them idling. Though the newer ones with DEF there are some issues.
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/22/21 01:01 AM

Blast,

We need to come up with the engineering to pull kilowatts off of our Tacomas!
Posted by: Nomad

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/22/21 12:21 PM

I have been told it is not the engine that is the problem, but the transmission. I was told to put it in drive periodically to insure complete lubrication. True or another falsehood?

Re: F150 Hybrid as Power Source in Texas Freeze - 07/22/21 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Nomad
I have been told it is not the engine that is the problem, but the transmission. I was told to put it in drive periodically to insure complete lubrication. True or another falsehood?

For modern vehicles, I'm thinking this is correct but "periodically" is closer to every month than every day.