Any shortages where you are?

Posted by: TeacherRO

Any shortages where you are? - 10/01/20 10:23 PM

Here in the midwest we have tp, but signs limiting each customer to one.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/01/20 11:01 PM

On the manufacturing side, it took six weeks but I think I finally found the last 1000 amber glass bottles left on the planet. My company has been hit by all sorts of supply chain issues on raw materials, labels, and even cardboard shipping boxes.

On the groceries side, Hot Pockets and Chile Lime Shrimp Ramen Noodles no longer seem to exist. SPAM is very hit-or-miss. Ammo is completely gone other than some 3" 410 #7 shot. cry
-Blast
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/02/20 05:44 AM

Weirdly my local Albertson's has virtually no paper towels again (although TP is in full supply). No real shortages that I've noted except Lysol disinfecting wipes which I might not see again for another year. Plenty of hand sanitizer although you maybe can't be picky.

Ammo is virtually unobtainable in 9mm or 5.56 NATO. The LGS has no shotgun ammo in stock except 16ga. Fortunately I have an adequate supply for the firearms I rely one for CCW, HD and hiking/camping.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/02/20 02:15 PM

At least at Costco, no shortage of the basics. Some specialty foods are spotty. Have one week, not there a few weeks later. Plenty of decent quality hand sanitizer, wipes are on and off.

Local Safeway supermarket is still short on some canned goods like soups and such. Plenty of TP and Paper Towels, as long as you are not too choosy. OK on disinfecting cleaners. Wipes most of the time. No cookie shortage, very critical.

Ammo in any common caliber not to be found on shelves. Most FFLs hold for their best customers. Can still be found online if you are willing to pay, although perhaps not your preferred brand or model www.ammoseek.com seems to work well for my friends who didn't stock up or have purchased their first firearm.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/02/20 02:31 PM

As of this week, our preferred brand of of bathroom tickets is available in large packages at a good price, limit 1 per customer. Our preferred brand of hand sanitizer is totally unobtainable, but other brands that seem just fine to us are easily found. Nitrile gloves went from almost impossible to get anywhere to the bargain-bin of the local pharmacy.

The club I belong to put in a multiple-pallet group buy of 9mm and 5.56mm ammo about a week before the ammo shortages started, slated to arrive in the next couple weeks. Assuming that we get the delivery, I'll end 2020 roughly even on ammo stocks, despite having significantly ramped up both formal training and practice sessions.

Availability issues and huge cost increases for beef and pork at the grocery and butcher seem to have ended.
Posted by: pforeman

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/02/20 02:31 PM

In the Des Moines area of Iowa it is sort of "normal" right now but there are some weird shortfalls - I'm blaming it on the supply chain and vendors when I see it.

An example: The Delightful Mrs. drinks Gatorade sports drink as the Dr. wanted her to improve her electrolyte levels and this works. However, she likes the Orange G2 or low sugar version which the regular grocery stores have not had on the shelf for the last several weeks. I started checking on-line and calling around the whole area to see if any was to be had and found that Menards (the home improvement big-box store) was the only place it was to be had. We went around town last night to several of them and snapped up the last 18 packages in town.

When I was checking around, a HyVee manager told me they have it on back order through their supply chain all the way to the vendor. Another store checked their supply resources and they could not even order it and the choices were very limited on what they could get. I checked on-line with the vendor and it's not being manufactured right now and there isn't a timeline for it to restart production from what I was told. The HyVee manager I know has also told me they have several "normal" stock items that have become unavailable as their vendor is not producing some specific products - thus gaps on the shelf and odd ball shortages. We also liked chef boyardee pizza mixes and they (the vendor) only make a double pizza box mix and had dropped the old single pizza size. They looked for me to see if it could be sourced someplace else and it just isn't made that way anymore. The lesson is to grab it when you see it!

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/02/20 02:37 PM

Vitamin Water Zero may be available, has no sugar, and does a good job with electrolytes. I buy the Lemonade flavor of it by the case.
Posted by: Ren

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/02/20 04:25 PM

Common sense? Especially seems in short supply over here in the UK.
County has told people not to travel outside of the county.
Problem is the local major shopping centre, which is less than 3km / 2m away from my front door is the other side of that boundary.

Other than that, not noticed any shortages, think all the restrictions on tp and canned goods were lifted several months back.

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/02/20 09:04 PM

I guess I spoke too soon! I made my weekly Costco run today and they had a big palette of Chlorox Wipes up by the door. While I don't use 'em at home we do use them at work.
Posted by: nursetim

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/08/20 07:46 AM

In Phoenix, limited supply of disinfectant wipes. TP still rationed. There are still empty space on the shelves of Safeway/fry’s/Basha’s, but mostly stocked.
Flours; All purpose, self rising, bread, and whole wheat are back in stock, as is yeast. Meats were only rationed for a short while.
Posted by: brandtb

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/09/20 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
. . . .

Ammo in any common caliber not to be found on shelves. Most FFLs hold for their best customers. Can still be found online if you are willing to pay, although perhaps not your preferred brand or model www.ammoseek.com seems to work well for my friends who didn't stock up or have purchased their first firearm.

I would second ammoseek. I used to go to ammo.com or sgammo.com, but in the current climate both of these are out of stock on almost everything. I used it for the first time last week looking for .223 in 38 - 40 grain (kind of rare compared to the usual 55 grain and up) and found some. Prices, though, are not great.
Posted by: Janysboy

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/09/20 10:40 PM

I have a fairly old revolver in 32.20. I'm having trouble finding ammunition in less then case lots. Any ideas?

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/10/20 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Janysboy
I have a fairly old revolver in 32.20. I'm having trouble finding ammunition in less then case lots. Any ideas?

Buy a case.
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/10/20 06:22 AM

Handloading. Make sure you get the proper propellant (the original is a black powder cartridge) for your gun.
Depending on the required amount and power, you could try to contact CAS shooters to get some ammo. It seems to be a fairly popular cartridge there. Be aware that CAS shooters do not tend to load ammo to high velocities.
Posted by: quick_joey_small

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/10/20 11:00 AM

Why are there shortages? Are you expecting factories to be closed in a new lockdown?
Qjs
Posted by: M_a_x

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/10/20 01:44 PM

The reason for the shortages may be that someone bought more than their share. Some may indeed expect factories to be closed.
Posted by: Herman30

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/10/20 08:32 PM

In Finland we have no shortages. Life goes on as normal except that we have covid-pandemia and that does not affect the amount of goods in stores and shops.
Earlier in the spring people hoarded TP but that was all and ended by summer.

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/10/20 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Why are there shortages? Are you expecting factories to be closed in a new lockdown?
Qjs

In an election year people tend to stock up. This year there are, according to news reports, many new gun buyers adding to ammo sales. When President PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. won in his first term gun sales increased, on the assumption that he would promote anti-gun policies. For the most part this didn't happen, but gun owners are a nervous lot.

Edited to add - I post this as a straight forward answer to the question, without political comment.

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/11/20 12:09 AM

There's always some irrational/panic buying around important nation and international events, and the increased paranoia and tribalism of our present world have only made it worse. Then there's the semi-legitimate panic around the current pandemic. I say semi-legit because there are genuine supply chain issues caused by the disease sweeping through meat packing plants and other industries. My personal viewpoint is that it's always prudent to keep a few weeks worth of food, a couple months worth of medication, some water, etc. The wife of my employer had a very difficult time getting a prescribed medication for a dangerous congenital disorder so she was scrambling to try to stock a bit. I'd say, current events notwithstanding, if you have medications you need to stay healthy (or to stay alive, period) now is the time to talk to your doctor about the possibility of getting an extra month or two supply.
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/11/20 12:17 AM

I haven't been able to find copies of Hamlet, you know, the good edition with annotations. Is it because it's an election year?

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/12/20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: brandtb
Edited to add - I post this as a straight forward answer to the question, without political comment.

There is an automated setting for the forum that replaces certain words. I have never messed with it, and unless Doug asks me to I'll be leaving it alone. Your inadvertent mention of one of those terms in your post was not objectionable.

chaosmagnet

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/12/20 08:18 PM

While I'm not an expert in the small arms ammunition industry, I think there are four major factors to the shortages we're seeing in the USA.

First, there are a lot more first-time firearms owners in the USA than in any usually 6+ month term that I can think of.

Second (and closely related to the first), many firearms owners have more concern about public safety than they've had in the past.

Third, there are concerns about potential future legal restrictions.

Fourth, I'm told that there are shortages regarding specific components, especially primers, related to the pandemic. I don't have any data to support that, but it seems plausible.

As for me, I've been training more this year than in any other year, as I had planned long before any of the above factors came to light.

The two calibers I train with are in short supply everywhere, and when available they're priced much higher than a year ago. But they are possible to find, with some effort.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/12/20 11:20 PM

I hesitate to post at all, but I must respectfully say that I'm worried about you guys. A shortage of ammunition suggests a shortage of confidence in the future, and an abundance of fear.

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/13/20 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I hesitate to post at all, but I must respectfully say that I'm worried about you guys. A shortage of ammunition suggests a shortage of confidence in the future, and an abundance of fear.

Americans are very prone to tribalism and are very prone to panic buying. I'm 51 years old and I've seen this at least four times with minor panics in between. This shortage is maybe not as bad at 2014, at least not yet. Fear drives it and without getting into the politics it's the practice here to use fear to control people and keep them in line. Maybe I'm just an optimist but I think we'll be just fine once we get into next year.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/13/20 01:09 PM

if you are a shooter in the US, and compete in a couple of USPSA practical shooting matches and a couple of Steel Challenge matches a month...

typical USPSA match around here is 125 rounds x 2 a month x 12 months is 3000 rounds a year... for me this is hand loaded 9mm
and small pistol primers are not available

a Steel Challenge match is 5 separate runs on 5 targets per stage x 6 stages per match x 2 matches per month x 12 months is 3600 rounds... for me this is .22lr...prices have jumped from 3.6 cents to 11 cents per round

and that does not include any practice sessions

competitive shooters are not necessarily hoarding components or ammunition, many have stocked deep so they can enjoy their freedom

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/27/20 06:56 PM

We have sanitizers and paper towels, but signs limiting customers to 1 or 2.

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 10/29/20 03:47 AM

Up here, it seems the current issues are paper towels, pressure treated lumber and firewood. And Tums.

The "why" on paper towels is obscure to me. We go through a pack every year, mostly to regulate moisture in stored garden vegetables. Others apparently can't imagine a day without them.

Pressure treated lumber is hard to get (or spendy) and so is other stay-at-home-improvement stuff. I had a hard time getting the caulking I needed. The store guys say everyone is stuck at home so they are upgrading decks etc.

Firewood is the new thing. And chimney sweep/inspection services. Demand has doubled or more. People are stuck at home anyway, so they want the spice of indoor/outdoor fires, even though basically everybody uses natural gas for primary heat in the winter.

Walked through a WalMart for laughs (time to kill) and they had ammo in the calibres/gauges I use. Didn't buy though; I don't have much need.

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 11/30/20 07:59 PM

Latest:
Target is limiting purchases of certain items ( masks, paper towels, etc.) Most everything in stock.
Posted by: clearwater

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 12/05/20 04:29 PM

Primers are selling locally by private parties from 10 to 25 cents EACH. People buying them on the local trading web site are new gun owners that can't find ammo and are learning to reload. The other components are unavailable at stores too, but are not bringing the price hikes like the primers. Lots of trading going on, people buying components they can't use so they can trade for stuff they can.

TP is available but stores are limiting per customer.

Haven't noticed any other shortages other than furnace filters that disappeared from shelves during the wildfire smoke.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 12/06/20 12:00 PM

A few months a go , there were shortages of face masks and some other items. These are available in the market now. The twist is not availability but my OCD-infected brain. LOL.

During the pandemic lockdowns, I managed to buy a few boxes of face masks at higher price than I would like. I was relieved to have masks, but was sore because of what I paid. The price came down gradually, and I bought more.

My INTJ psychology ordered me to put the numbers and cost in an Excel sheet. LOL, some of you may guess where this is going. Yeah, a few weeks ago, I bought a few more boxes, not for prepping sake, but to lower the overall average price !!!

If you are an INTJ, try to change to something else.
LOL.
Posted by: adam2

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 12/06/20 03:28 PM

Here in the UK, shotguns are relatively easy to obtain, and ammunition is plentiful.
Lawful private ownership of rifles is rare, and lawful private ownership of handguns almost unknown, so ammo supplies not relevant.

Moving to other supplies there are still local shortages of toilet paper, cleaning products and some canned goods. No generalised shortage though.
Turkeys are very commonly eaten at Christmas, and some reports suggest a glut of these birds (fewer large family gatherings) whilst other reports suggest a shortage for some not clearly defined reason.

Firewood is in short supply and expensive. Propane is much less used here than in the USA but supplies seem adequate. I purchased three large portable cylinders each of 19 kilos without problems.
Coal is less used these days, but is readily available.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 12/07/20 02:28 AM

Our stocking up has been limited to ensuring that we have a two week supply of real essentials (medical, food) in the event we have to quarantine. And we did have to do so once a few months ago due to a potential contact.

Beyond that we haven't seen too many shortages. We buy a lot online, partially due to our remote location. Lately I've been feeling bad about how much of it is via Amazon. No doubt some online purchases, such as a table saw and a miter saw have been to avoid going to big stores (with a perceived higher virus risk). It is amazing what can be purchased online. Heck, I recently bought a 60 inch PTO driven snowblower for my tractor online. Amazing.

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 12/07/20 02:54 AM

TP & paper towels have seen sporadic shortages the last week or so. Costco here has been cleaned out but the closest supermarket to me is fully stocked. Dish soap has also been kind of variable, which seems odd but most of the panic buying doesn't make sense. I live by myself so it's pretty easy to be "stocked up" on most stuff, at least stuff that's not perishable.

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 12/07/20 03:41 AM

Where I live, we're suffering a shortage of personal responsibility and self-discipline right now. C'mon, fellow citizens, show a little backbone!

/end rant
Posted by: adam2

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 12/07/20 10:35 PM

WRT the shortage of dish soap, this might be not very rational panic buying, or alternatively production may have been curtailed.
Many manufacturers produce a range of cleaning and hygiene products, and I consider it possible that production of dish soap may have been limited in order to free up factory space and staff for hand sanitiser production.

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 12/07/20 11:28 PM

Yeah, I suppose that could be. I stocked up a little, not a ton. In "normal" time when there's all the soap you could carry, I tend to buy a bottle when I'm almost out. But now when I find it I usually buy two bottles at a time.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 12/08/20 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I tend to buy a bottle when I'm almost out. But now when I find it I usually buy two bottles at a time.

Regardless of prepping mentality or the circumstances, I think it is wise to buy a few more than we need. It saves time and frustration. If you have a pantry or enough space , it is wise to have your own "store" at home, especially for non perishable items like soap ..etc.

Sometimes, you are not in the mood to go out, or the roads are congested for a reason or another, or the weather... etc. There are a million reasons that we should store a few extra of everything. Find a balanced level that is suitable for your lifestyle and size of your family, and I think no one will regret having a few things stashed in the pantry.

During the pandemic lockdown, two of the kitchen appliances broke down. When things eased a bit, I bought TWO of each.

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 12/08/20 09:17 AM

I agree but in "normal" times it's not a big deal to me (with dish soap that is). It gets used at a pretty steady predictable level so it's unlikely that I'll be surprised to run out. But yeah, in this "new normal" I tend to stock up more on everything than I used to.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Any shortages where you are? - 12/08/20 01:32 PM

We never stopped limiting TP & PT in many places here.
(Southeast PA)